|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What explanation does Deacon Lindsay give to explain why he doesn't want to talk to Sister Taylor?
(a) She is a Baptist and he does not speak to Baptists.
(b) He says she is too ugly.
(c) He heard that she has been gossiping about him.
(d) He is too busy and on his way to work.
2. What information does Sister Taylor share with Lum Boger in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) She tells him where the gavel is located.
(b) She tells him that Deacon Simms is looking for him.
(c) She tells him when and where the trial will be held.
(d) She tells him that Daisy deserves to be arrested, not Jim Weston.
3. Why does Sister Jones say she won't testify for Jim Weston?
(a) She says she does not care what happens; she does not like Jim Weston or Dave Carter.
(b) She likes Dave Carter more and believes that he did not deserve to be beaten.
(c) She says she does not know enough about the fight.
(d) Her husband will not let her speak in court.
4. Which of the following best describes the Baptist position on Jim Weston's guilt?
(a) They believe that he is innocent and should be released.
(b) They believe that he should be imprisoned for at least a year.
(c) They believe that he and Dave Carter should resolve the issue themselves.
(d) They believe that he should be expelled from the town.
5. As the evening progresses, what games do the men on the porch play?
(a) They alternate between cards and playing checkers.
(b) They play Scrabble.
(c) They play hangman.
(d) They shoot dice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joe Clarke chase away the children who are playing in front of the store?
2. What do the men at the store begin to talk about after Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive?
3. Which two characters are the first to speak in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What assurance does Deacon Simms give Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
5. Why does Jim Weston get angry with Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)