|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Lige Mosely, why should a Baptist be afraid to go swimming?
(a) They do not like to bathe, and swimming is a lot like bathing.
(b) Baptists only go into the water for baptism.
(c) Baptists do not know how to swim.
(d) Their heads are harder than rocks, so they would drown.
2. Hambo accuses Deacon Simms of telling what lie?
(a) That Dave Carter stepped on Jim Weston's foot on purpose, but it was an accident.
(b) That Joe Clarke sells stale bread, and Hambo defends him.
(c) That Jim Weston's father was run out of town, but he was lynched by white people.
(d) That Dave Carter has another girlfriend in another town, but it is untrue.
3. According to Deacon Simms, why does the town need a jail?
(a) The church basement is overcrowded with prisoners.
(b) The jail will provide some much-needed jobs.
(c) The town is full of lawlessness.
(d) The jail will bring in government money.
4. What does Sister Taylor do to end the argument with the sassy young girl?
(a) She calls the girl's mother over and lets the mother deal with her.
(b) She heads to the church to tell the girl's mother.
(c) She embarrasses the girl in front her friends.
(d) She turns the girl over her knee and spanks her.
5. What does Sister Thomas do after Reverend Childers and his group enter?
(a) She begins singing a traditional Methodist hymn.
(b) She sucks her teeth and turns her back to them.
(c) She picks a fight with Deacon Lindsay.
(d) She flips her skirt at them and exits.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joe Clarke tell Marshal Lum Boger to save the mule bone?
2. What name does Sister Taylor call the girl who sasses back at her?
3. With what does Jim Weston hit Dave Carter?
4. Of what, in addition to assault, does Joe Clarke suggest that Jim Weston is guilty?
5. Why does the store owner at first refuse to give Mrs. Roberts the meat that she asks for?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)