|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the sisters Taylor and Thomas treat Deacon Simms when he arrives?
(a) They criticize him and verbally harrass him.
(b) They ignore him and continue their own conversation.
(c) They are supportive and wish him luck.
(d) They ask to pray with him for a peaceful resolution to the trial.
2. What name does Sister Taylor call the girl who sasses back at her?
(a) A "little heifer."
(b) A "Satan's chile."
(c) A "limb of Satan."
(d) A "truck o' trouble."
3. What does Deacon Simms discuss after he moves beyond the subject of snakes?
(a) He wants to know what the men think about Mrs. Roberts.
(b) He begins to gossip about Daisy Blunt.
(c) He wants to talk about making improvements to the town's school.
(d) He begins to preach about changes that the town needs.
4. Of what, in addition to assault, does Joe Clarke suggest that Jim Weston is guilty?
(a) Of stealing his chickens.
(b) Of mistreating women.
(c) Of stealing from his store.
(d) Of being ungodly and not attending church.
5. What does Sister Taylor suggest that changes Sister Jones' mind about testifying?
(a) She convinces her that it is their civic responsibility to testify.
(b) She assures her that everyone else in town will be testifying, so she should join in.
(c) She says that the issue is not about Jim Weston, but about defending themselves from the Baptists.
(d) She convinces her that Jim Weston is really an honest, hard-working man who deserves their support.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason is given to support the idea of the Baptist minister leading the prayer before trial?
2. Why does Joe Clarke chase away the children who are playing in front of the store?
3. How does Sister Taylor defend herself when Joe Lindsay chastises her for arguing in church?
4. What does Sister Taylor suggest that Sister Lewis should do for her daughter?
5. Why does Deacon Simms refuse to allow Reverend Childers to use his Bible?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)