|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Deacon Simms refuse to allow Reverend Childers to use his Bible?
(a) Reverend Childers is a Baptist and cannot read anyway.
(b) He says any good preacher would have brought his own Bible.
(c) Deacon Simms' children gave the Bible to him, so it's special.
(d) He is afraid that Reverend Childers will soil his pages.
2. According to Reverend Childers, why is an ass bone close to a mule bone?
(a) They both have large ears, so they must be similar.
(b) The skeletons of the animals are basically the same.
(c) Both are single-hoofed animals, so they must be in the same family.
(d) An ass is a mule's father, so the mule is related to the ass.
3. What name does Sister Taylor call the girl who sasses back at her?
(a) A "little heifer."
(b) A "truck o' trouble."
(c) A "Satan's chile."
(d) A "limb of Satan."
4. How does Joe Clarke defend himself against Sisters Taylor and Thomas when he arrives at the trial?
(a) He says he is not choosing sides; he only wants justice.
(b) He says he understands their concerns, but he will not become a Baptist.
(c) He says they should all learn to look past their differences and get along with others.
(d) He says he does not have to answer to anyone, especially to women.
5. When the fighting children enter, what does Sister Taylor look for, and what does she intend to do with it?
(a) She looks for a stick with which she can hit the children.
(b) She looks for an easy exit so she can get away from the children.
(c) She looks for a rock to throw at the children.
(d) She looks for another adult to help back her up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms doing when Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive at the store?
2. Why does Sister Jones say she won't testify for Jim Weston?
3. How has Daisy's return to town affected Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
4. What evidence does Sister Hambo provide to prove that she is telling the truth?
5. What does Sister Taylor think of Mrs. Blunt's reaction to the trial and the associated gossip?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)