|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What complaint does Deacon Simms have about snakes?
(a) They are the only creature of which he is afraid.
(b) He can never tell the difference between venomous and non-venomous snakes.
(c) They are messengers of the devil and represent evil.
(d) The snakes keep eating his chicks.
2. Who places Jim Weston under arrest?
(a) Deacon Simms.
(b) Joe Clarke.
(c) Dave Carter.
(d) Marshal Lum Boger.
3. Why does Joe Clarke get frustrated with Lum Boger?
(a) He is sitting with the defendant.
(b) He blames him for forgetting the gavel.
(c) He has not quited the crowd.
(d) He has not shown up for the trial yet.
4. How do the sisters Taylor and Thomas treat Deacon Simms when he arrives?
(a) They are supportive and wish him luck.
(b) They ignore him and continue their own conversation.
(c) They criticize him and verbally harrass him.
(d) They ask to pray with him for a peaceful resolution to the trial.
5. What is missing when Joe Clarke tries to begin the trial?
(a) Dave Carter.
(b) The gavel.
(c) The defendant.
(d) The witnesses.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Brother Nixon respond to Sister Lewis' chastisement?
2. Which two characters are the first to speak in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What does Sister Taylor think of Mrs. Blunt's reaction to the trial and the associated gossip?
4. What does Sister Taylor call the Baptist children?
5. On whose side is Joe Clarke in the matter of Jim Weston?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)