|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Sister Taylor's position about Daisy's involvement in the fight between Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
(a) Sister Taylor believes that the two men would fight about any girl.
(b) Sister Taylor believes that Daisy caused it by showing off and teasing the men.
(c) Sister Taylor believes that Daisy is innocent; it is not her fault that men find her attractive.
(d) Sister Taylor believes that men are responsible for their own actions.
2. How do the men in front of the store react to Deacon Simms' arrival?
(a) They welcome him to join their poker game.
(b) They begin to harass and verbally assault him.
(c) They quickly hide their games and their winnings.
(d) They try to ignore him, hoping that he will go away.
3. How does Deacon Lindsay respond to Sister Taylor's and Sister Thomas' actions in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He is offended and turns to leave.
(b) He extends his hand and asks for a reconciliation.
(c) He gets angry and wants to know why they aren't speaking.
(d) He laughs because he thinks they are behaving like children.
4. What does Reverend Childers present as evidence against Jim Weston in the trial?
(a) He cites the rumor that Jim Weston has been stealing chickens.
(b) He uses Jim Weston's own confession against him.
(c) He presents the biblical story of Sampson and the Philistines.
(d) He uses the testimony of witnesses to prove that the beating was violent.
5. What part of Joe Clarke's appearance does Sister Thomas criticize?
(a) She says he has a flat nose.
(b) She says he has a huge stomach.
(c) She says he has short, stubby legs.
(d) She says his hair looks like a nest of beavers.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Sister Taylor chastise the children in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. Where is the notice of Jim Weston's trial displayed?
3. What evidence does Dave Carter present to prove that he is as clean as everybody else?
4. What reason is given to support the idea of the Methodist minister leading the prayer?
5. According to the characters at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2, how are Reverend Childers and Deacon Simms different?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)