|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do some women challenge Joe Clarke's involvement in Jim Weston's trial?
(a) The Baptist women criticize him because he is a Methodist.
(b) The Methodist women criticize him for holding the trial in a Baptist church.
(c) All of the women believe that he should bring in a judge from out of town.
(d) Many women believe that he should not be the judge because the incident occurred on his property.
2. What order does Joe Clarke give to the people at the trial before they leave the church?
(a) He orders them to help Lum Boger escort Jim Weston out of town.
(b) He orders them to leave their neighbors alone and mind their own business.
(c) He orders them to leave church grounds before they begin to fight.
(d) He orders them to disperse quietly and return to their homes.
3. How does Joe Clarke respond to Mrs. Nixon's accusation that he mistreats his wife and sells rancid bacon?
(a) He says everyone knows that she lies, so he is not concerned.
(b) He says she smells like a nest of yellow hammers.
(c) He bangs his gavel and calls for order.
(d) He says she will not be allowed to buy anything else from the store until she pays back the money she owes.
4. Which of the following best describes the Baptist position on Jim Weston's guilt?
(a) They believe that he is innocent and should be released.
(b) They believe that he should be expelled from the town.
(c) They believe that he should be imprisoned for at least a year.
(d) They believe that he and Dave Carter should resolve the issue themselves.
5. Why does the store owner at first refuse to give Mrs. Roberts the meat that she asks for?
(a) They have a longstanding feud.
(b) He is afraid of Mr. Roberts, who has warned him against giving food to her.
(c) The meat is not very good quality.
(d) He believes that she has enough food.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the sisters Taylor and Thomas treat Deacon Simms when he arrives?
2. What game are the children playing in front of the store?
3. Why does Jim Weston get angry with Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. Where has Daisy been before her return to town?
5. How does Sister Taylor defend herself when Joe Lindsay chastises her for arguing in church?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)