|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What led to so many executions for both Muslims and Christians?
2. To what has Western behavior in the Islamic world led?
3. When pregnant, Muhammad's mother was told something. What was she told?
4. What did this angel command him to recite?
5. By what century was Europe actively fighting Islam?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the challenge of Islam to the West first begin? How was Islam viewed at that time?
2. On what does Armstrong believe a religion should not be judged? Why might she feel this way?
3. Why were Muslims seen as pagans and many Christians attempted to convert them?
4. What is Jahiliyah?
5. Why were Muslims seen as the enemy of Christians, which led to the Crusades?
6. Describe what is known about Muhammad and the Muslim world prior to 610.
7. What happened once Muhammad recited the Quran?
8. What did Muhammad do during the last twenty-three years of his life? Why did he do this?
9. What happened regarding Islam in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries?
10. Describe Muhammad's role in the creation of the Quran.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Islam does not teach theology.
Part 1) What is theology? What does Islam teach? How is this different from Judaism and Christianity?
Part 2) Why does Islam not teach theology? Do Judaism and Christianity teach theology? If so, how and why? If not, why not?
Part 3) Is theology necessary for a belief system to be considered a religion? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Europe was actively fighting Islam by the eleventh century.
Part 1) What led to this fighting? Why does this fighting occur? How does this fighting reflect the views of Christians and Muslims?
Part 2) How are these views still seen today? How does this fighting continue today?
Part 3) How can this fighting end, according to Armstrong? Do you agree? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Muhammad and his followers were persecuted.
Part 1) How were they persecuted? Why were they persecuted?
Part 2) How did Muhammad and his followers survive this persecution and end up successfully converting much of Arabia to Islam? How is persecution found in other religions? Why?
Part 3) Why do humans feel the need to try to forcefully control others? Will this ever end? If so, how? If not, why not?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)