|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the period of the Crusades, there were many attempts to convert the Muslims to Christianity. Who did the Christians do this with?
2. Arab society at this time was characterized by who?
3. What did this angel command him to recite?
4. With what was conversion to monotheism associated?
5. How was monotheism viewed by the Arabians?
Short Essay Questions
1. At this time, what did Arabs think about al-Llah?
2. How did Muhammad react to his first encounter with the angel Gabriel?
3. What happened once Muhammad recited the Quran?
4. How did Muhammad's revelation differ from other forms of revelation?
5. Why were Muslims seen as the enemy of Christians, which led to the Crusades?
6. Describe Arab life at this time.
7. What is Jahiliyah?
8. Describe Muhammad's role in the creation of the Quran.
9. What is known about Muhammad's early life?
10. Describe what is known about Muhammad and the Muslim world prior to 610.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The age of the Renaissance resulted in more objectivity.
Part 1) Describe the age of the Renaissance. How were Judaism, Islam, and Christianity affect by the Renaissance? Why?
Part 2) Does this objectivity continue beyond the Renaissance? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) Does some of this objectivity exist today? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Arabs united under Muhammad's teachings.
Part 1) Describe Muhammad's teachings. How did they unify the Arabs?
Part 2) How did the Arabs benefit from this unification? Why and how did some also fight it? Why was Muhammad ultimately successful? How is this success seen today?
Part 3) How have groups of people unified under other leaders and other religions? What do these people and religions all have in common that lead to unification?
Essay Topic 3
The law between tribes was called muruwah.
Part 1) Describe this law. How did it affect unity? How did Muhammad change this?
Part 2) How did these tribes react to Muhammad's attempts and eventual success at change? Why? How do we act like these tribes today?
Part 3) What would Muhammad want to change about our society? Why? Could he be successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)