|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Armstrong believe that a religion should not be judged on the basis of ?
2. What does Jahiliyah mean?
3. Many refer to Muhammad as ________ or unlettered prophet.
4. What did Muhammad claim was a miracle?
5. In what century did an Arab merchant named Muhammad live in Mecca?
Short Essay Questions
1. At this time, what did Arabs think about al-Llah?
2. What happens when Salman Rushdie publishes The Satanic Verses? How is this act a reminder of other acts against Islam by Muslims?
3. Describe Muhammad's role in the creation of the Quran.
4. What holy places were important to the Arabs? Why were these places so important?
5. Describe what is known about Muhammad and the Muslim world prior to 610.
6. What is Jahiliyah?
7. According to Armstrong, on what are most Western views of Islam based?
8. According to Armstrong, where do most Western views of Islam stem from? What facts does she give about Islam?
9. When does the challenge of Islam to the West first begin? How was Islam viewed at that time?
10. Describe Arab life at this time.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Muhammad had his greatest mystical experience while staying with his sister.
Part 1) Describe this mystical experience. What is your reaction to hearing this story? Is it surprising? Why or why not?
Part 2) How did this mystical experience change Muhammad, as well as the Quran? How does it also change the religion of Islam?
Part 3) Do you believe mystical experiences such as this can really take place? Why or why not? How might a mystical experience change your own life?
Essay Topic 2
Islam does not teach theology.
Part 1) What is theology? What does Islam teach? How is this different from Judaism and Christianity?
Part 2) Why does Islam not teach theology? Do Judaism and Christianity teach theology? If so, how and why? If not, why not?
Part 3) Is theology necessary for a belief system to be considered a religion? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Arabs united under Muhammad's teachings.
Part 1) Describe Muhammad's teachings. How did they unify the Arabs?
Part 2) How did the Arabs benefit from this unification? Why and how did some also fight it? Why was Muhammad ultimately successful? How is this success seen today?
Part 3) How have groups of people unified under other leaders and other religions? What do these people and religions all have in common that lead to unification?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)