|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Salman Rushdie published The Satanic Verses?
2. What period does the challenge of Islam to the West date back?
3. The Ka'aba was central to whose success and development of the wealth of Mecca?
4. When was the Quran compiled?
5. This section examines ___________ the Prophet Muhammad and looks at how it developed.
Short Essay Questions
1. At this time, what did Arabs think about al-Llah?
2. According to Armstrong, where do most Western views of Islam stem from? What facts does she give about Islam?
3. According to Armstrong, on what are most Western views of Islam based?
4. What happens when Salman Rushdie publishes The Satanic Verses? How is this act a reminder of other acts against Islam by Muslims?
5. Describe the Muslim world despite the influence of imperialist beliefs in the Western world.
6. How does Armstrong compare the Quran with Christian writings?
7. What happened in 610?
8. What happened once Muhammad recited the Quran?
9. How did Muhammad react to his first encounter with the angel Gabriel?
10. When does the challenge of Islam to the West first begin? How was Islam viewed at that time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Arabs united under Muhammad's teachings.
Part 1) Describe Muhammad's teachings. How did they unify the Arabs?
Part 2) How did the Arabs benefit from this unification? Why and how did some also fight it? Why was Muhammad ultimately successful? How is this success seen today?
Part 3) How have groups of people unified under other leaders and other religions? What do these people and religions all have in common that lead to unification?
Essay Topic 2
Salman Rushdie published The Satanic Verses.
Part 1) Who is Salman Rushdie? Why did he publish The Satanic Verses?
Part 2) What was the reaction to these verses? How might these have affected Muslim relations with non-Muslims? Why?
Part 3) How does this attitude by Muslims towards Islam reflect the attitudes and actions of Muslims found throughout history? Why do these attitudes exist, and why do these actions take place?
Part 4) Have other religious groups or individuals had similar difficult situations? If so, when and why? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
It is believed that Muhammad gave his farewell sermon near Mt. Arafat in 632.
Part 1) What was said in this sermon? How is this last sermon remembered today? Why is it so important?
Part 2) How does this sermon reinforce the similarities found between Islam, Judaism, and Christianity?
Part 3) Do Muslims follow the directions found in this sermon? Explain.
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)