|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Armstrong believe that a religion should not be judged on the basis of ?
(a) Its beliefs.
(b) The actions of the masses.
(c) The actions of the extremists.
(d) Its religious laws.
2. How much is known about the early life of Muhammad?
(b) Quite a bit.
(d) Not much.
3. Why did Muhammad live with his uncle?
(a) His uncle was the only religious man in the family.
(b) He was orphaned at an early age and his grandfather died when he was eight.
(c) He wanted to attend good schools where his uncle lived.
(d) His parents could not care for him.
4. At this time, who was accepted as the one God?
(c) The al-Llah of Islam.
5. What do the Muslim religious authorities think about fatwa and the taking of lives?
(a) They believe these acts are a part of the Quran.
(b) Muhammad would approve of this behavior.
(c) They are illegal and against the teachings of Islam.
(d) It must be done when necessary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did this angel command him to recite?
2. By what century was Europe actively fighting Islam?
3. During the era of the Crusades, what was Islam viewed as the enemy of?
4. As a result of this experience, he began preaching to the Arab world. What did this world consist of?
5. Why are most Muslims insulted by the use of the term regarding Muhammad's illiteracy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were Muslims seen as the enemy of Christians, which led to the Crusades?
2. Why did Arabia not trust monotheism?
3. According to Armstrong, on what are most Western views of Islam based?
4. Describe the Quraysh tribe.
5. How did Muhammad react to his first encounter with the angel Gabriel?
6. According to Armstrong, where do most Western views of Islam stem from? What facts does she give about Islam?
7. On what does Armstrong believe a religion should not be judged? Why might she feel this way?
8. How did Muhammad compare to Jesus?
9. When does the challenge of Islam to the West first begin? How was Islam viewed at that time?
10. Why were Muslims seen as pagans and many Christians attempted to convert them?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)