|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Arab society at this time was characterized by who?
2. What are many of the conditions and practices in the Islamic world typical of?
(a) Any pre-modern society.
(b) The beliefs of nomadic tribes.
(c) Pagan cultures.
(d) Any modern society.
3. When did Muhammad die?
(a) June 8, 532.
(b) June 8, 632.
(c) June 8, 732.
(d) June 8, 832.
4. How was the Muslim Empire viewed?
(a) With wonder.
(b) With confusion.
(c) With fear.
(d) With annoyance.
5. By what does Muhammad believe that he is comforted, as he believes after every encounter?
(a) His dead mother.
(b) His dead uncle.
(c) The dead Khadijah.
Short Answer Questions
1. Muhammad followed his religion and made the yearly spiritual retreat to a cave. Where was this cave?
2. By what century was Europe actively fighting Islam?
3. How was the Quran revealed to Muhammad?
4. Who does Armstrong feel that radical Islam is the faith of?
5. What did Muhammad use to force people to convert to Islam?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Muhammad's role in the creation of the Quran.
2. Describe the Muslim world despite the influence of imperialist beliefs in the Western world.
3. Why did Arabia not trust monotheism?
4. How did the Renaissance help relations between Islam and Christianity?
5. What might happen if more people studied and understood Islam?
6. According to Armstrong, where do most Western views of Islam stem from? What facts does she give about Islam?
7. How does Armstrong compare the Quran with Christian writings?
8. What did Muhammad do during the last twenty-three years of his life? Why did he do this?
9. How have the feelings of Europeans towards Muslims developed since the initial fear and hatred began? What has caused this development? To what have these feelings towards Muslims led?
10. On what does Armstrong believe a religion should not be judged? Why might she feel this way?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)