|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were these people the first to follow Muhammad?
(a) Because of their understanding of Muhammad's teachings.
(b) Because of the hope Muhammad's teaching held for them.
(c) Because of their desire to share their wealth.
(d) Because of their discontent with the Christian church.
2. Into what era was Muhammad born into?
(a) Of hard times in the Arab world.
(b) Of a world of ignorance.
(c) Of a Christian world.
(d) Of fighting in the Arab world.
3. Those who still opposed Islam tried to do what to Muhammad and his followers?
(a) Run them out of town.
(b) Starve them.
(c) Catch them.
(d) Torture them.
4. Who were the early converts?
(a) Religious leaders.
(b) The young.
(c) Muhammad's immediate family and circle of friends.
(d) Wealthy merchants.
5. What happens to Muhammad when his uncle dies?
(a) He has no more mystical experiences.
(b) He gains more protection.
(c) He stops preaching.
(d) He loses most of his protection.
6. What did Muhammad believe his role to be?
(a) To save the Meccans.
(b) To protect his people.
(c) To teach his people about Jesus.
(d) To deliver a message in and around Mecca.
7. Who were among the first members of the Muslim community?
(a) The disadvantaged.
(b) The wealthy.
(c) The intelligent.
8. Since Muhammad had to fight to achieve his goals, Islam acquired what name?
(a) The religion of Muhammad.
(b) The religion of the powerful.
(c) The religion by the sword.
(d) The religion to be feared.
9. Much of the references in the Quran are symbolic. What are the followers encouraged to do?
(a) Teach these symbols to the infidels.
(b) Create their own symbols.
(c) Create art using these symbols.
(d) Adopt this attitude of symbolism and to look at the world around them.
10. How many times a day must Muslims make salat?
11. In 627-628, what did Muhammad begin to do?
(a) Forget the Quran.
(b) Doubt his power.
(c) Build an alliance with different tribes.
(d) Become ill.
12. There would be a ________ peace if any one from Mecca who had converted without the consent of his guardians was returned.
13. The Muslims and the Jews were supposed to live in peace together. What decreed this peace?
(a) The Jew's law.
(b) The terms of the covenant into which they entered.
(c) Muhammad's law.
(d) God's covenant with the Israelites.
14. With Khadija gone, with whom did Muhammad find refuge with?
(a) His children.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His sister.
15. What did the harassment of Muhammad by the Quraysh result in?
(a) Less converts to Islam.
(b) Less understanding of the Quran.
(c) More converts to Islam.
(d) More fear of Islam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the Meccans unable to get rid of?
2. Muhammad sent an emissary, who the Quraysh took as a hostage and then sent word to the Muslims that what had happened?
3. Why were the clans against Muhammad's uncle?
4. The rift in the community became bad. What did Muhammad have to do for some of the Muslims?
5. Did Muhammad's early preachings of the Quran teach anything new? `
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)