|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rezia talk about that left Septimus feeling nothing?
2. Septimus' condition is probably what is today called ________________________.
3. What subject does Miss Kilman teach?
4. What does Clarissa say to Peter in a letter?
5. Who invites Hugh Whitbread and Richard Dalloway to lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Peter strolls in the park, what is he certain of regarding Clarissa even though she had seemed cold to him?
2. Why is Rezia especially anxious for Septimus to see Sir William Bradshaw?
3. What is the unspoken rivalry between Hugh Whitbread and Richard Dalloway?
4. Why does Rezia hide Septimus' writing and drawings?
5. Why does Miss Kilman dislike Clarissa so much?
6. What are Miss Kilman's feelings for Elizabeth?
7. How does Rezia feel about Septimus being admitted to a home?
8. What was Dr. Holmes' diagnosis of Septimus?
9. Where did Rezia first meet Septimus, and what was her perception of him?
10. Why does Richard buy Clarissa flowers after Hugh buys his wife jewelry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Richard. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams and fears? What else can you add about the character?
Essay Topic 3
Woolf was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, and then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)