|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is said that Sir William Bradshaw could diagnose an illness in ___________________.
2. How does Clarissa respond to what Richard tells her about his work?
3. Which of the following does NOT describe Septimus as he was when he met Rezia?
4. What kind of flowers does Richard give to Clarissa?
5. What does Septimus feel when witnessing other people's despair and sadness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Rezia especially anxious for Septimus to see Sir William Bradshaw?
2. Why does Richard find it difficult to express his love for Clarissa?
3. Where did Rezia first meet Septimus, and what was her perception of him?
4. Why does Rezia hide Septimus' writing and drawings?
5. Describe Septimus' first appointment with Sir William and what does Sir William think about Septimus' condition?
6. What is the strained relationship between Miss Kilman and Clarissa?
7. How does Elizabeth feel about Miss Kilman's feelings for her?
8. What was Dr. Holmes' diagnosis of Septimus?
9. What is Clarissa's response when Richard gives her roses?
10. How are Miss Kilman's religion and her feelings about Clarissa in conflict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this novel. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Richard. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams and fears? What else can you add about the character?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)