|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Septimus is no longer able to ________________.
2. Which of the following does Septimus NOT think about as he walks to his appointment?
3. According to Peter, women don't know what __________________ is.
4. According to Sir William, "The people we are most fond of are not good for us when we are ____________."
5. Rezia works on a hat for whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard buy Clarissa flowers after Hugh buys his wife jewelry?
2. From what emotional problem is Septimus suffering?
3. What does Rezia write down as Septimus talks while lying on the sofa?
4. Why is Rezia especially anxious for Septimus to see Sir William Bradshaw?
5. What are Miss Kilman's feelings for Elizabeth?
6. Why does Sir William recommend that Septimus be put into a home?
7. What is the strained relationship between Miss Kilman and Clarissa?
8. As Peter strolls in the park, what is he certain of regarding Clarissa even though she had seemed cold to him?
9. What is Septimus' state of mind as he lies on the sofa in the sitting room?
10. What is the unspoken rivalry between Hugh Whitbread and Richard Dalloway?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's simple title -- "Mrs. Dalloway". Why did Woolf choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Is there another title you can suggest that might be more appropriate?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Miss Kilman. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Miss Kilman's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Richard. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams and fears? What else can you add about the character?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)