|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Clarissa's favorite dress?
2. Who ended the relationship between Clarissa and Peter?
3. Clarissa notes that some days are much like ____________________.
4. Which one of Clarissa's friends does Hugh dislike?
5. How had Clarissa hurt Peter years ago?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author introduce Clarissa Dalloway?
2. Who is Sally Seton and what role does she play in Clarissa's life?
3. What are Clarissa's immediate thoughts when Peter surprises her by showing up at her house?
4. Why had Clarissa broken off her engagement to Peter?
5. What does Peter recall about Sally Seton from years ago?
6. What do both Peter and Clarissa secretly think about the other?
7. What is the source of Septimus' odd behavior, and what is the only recourse Rezia feels that she has?
8. Which woman does Clarissa admire more than anyone and longs to be like her?
9. Who would Peter spend time with at dinner parties when he didn't want to share Clarissa with anyone else?
10. What memories does Clarissa have about living at Bourton and being in love with Sally Seton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the perception of homosexuality in early 20th century England. Compare and contrast homosexuality in England during this time to homosexuality in England today. What major changes have occurred--both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 3
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)