|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lends an air of mystery to the vehicle in #20?
2. Peter was jealous of the time that Clarissa spent with ___________________.
3. The crowds that gather around Buckingham Palace try to guess what will be written by ______________________.
4. What is Peter's perception of Clarissa when he leaves her house?
5. The relationship between Clarissa and Peter is ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peter feel about seeing Clarissa after so many years, and to what does he attribute Clarissa's breaking their engagement?
2. What are Clarissa's immediate thoughts when Peter surprises her by showing up at her house?
3. What do both Peter and Clarissa secretly think about the other?
4. Who is Peter Walsh, and what role did he play in Clarissa's life?
5. In what ways is Clarissa like the author, Virginia Woolf, in her personality traits?
6. What does Peter not realize about Clarissa as he chats with her in her room?
7. Who would Peter spend time with at dinner parties when he didn't want to share Clarissa with anyone else?
8. What are Peter's perceptions of Clarissa after having been gone for five years?
9. What are Peter's thoughts about Clarissa as he walks away from her house?
10. Who is Hugh Whitbread and what role does he play in Clarissa's lie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Clarissa. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Clarissa?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Clarissa and three other characters. Be sure to incorporate personal, political and cultural impacts on the characters' lives.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Septimus. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams and fears? Does he have a mental or physical condition? What else can you say about the character?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)