|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter not realize about Clarissa?
2. Who has Clarissa been thinking a lot about lately?
3. Who was Septimus' friend who died in the war?
4. What did Peter think when he was first introduced to Richard Dalloway?
5. What is Clarissa's husband's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Clarissa's thoughts on this June morning and what are some of the reasons that the world seems pleasant to her?
2. Which woman does Clarissa admire more than anyone and longs to be like her?
3. Why had Clarissa broken off her engagement to Peter?
4. How did Peter know that Clarissa was in love with Richard Dalloway?
5. What is the source of Septimus' odd behavior, and what is the only recourse Rezia feels that she has?
6. Who is Hugh Whitbread and what role does he play in Clarissa's lie?
7. What memories does Clarissa have about living at Bourton and being in love with Sally Seton?
8. What does Peter recall about Sally Seton from years ago?
9. How has Septimus changed since the war and what are Rezia's thoughts about his altered behavior now?
10. What does Peter not realize about Clarissa as he chats with her in her room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Peter. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? Is he a positive person? What else can you say about the character?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the perception of homosexuality in early 20th century England. Compare and contrast homosexuality in England during this time to homosexuality in England today. What major changes have occurred--both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Septimus. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams and fears? Does he have a mental or physical condition? What else can you say about the character?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)