|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Blue's third letter written on?
(a) Lined paper.
(b) A scrap of wrapping paper.
(c) An email.
(d) A napkin.
2. Fill in the following description of Copley Square: "One needs _____________ to fill the emptiness of Copley Square at night."
(a) People and voices.
(c) Prayer and meditation.
(d) Bands and fireworks.
3. What kind of work does Mrs. Murphy do?
(a) Runs a bar.
(b) Runs a lodging house.
(c) Runs a bank.
(d) Runs a school.
4. What kind of school does Blue suggest the narrator start?
(a) A school of religious art.
(b) A school for the gifted.
(c) A school for the blind.
(d) A school for ministry.
5. Who does Blue write a letter to who was interested in investing in his motion picture idea?
(a) Mr. John Stone.
(b) Mr. Bill Taylor.
(c) Mr. Sam Wise.
(d) Mr. Fred Gibson.
6. What is the name of the member of the lumberyard gang who Blue took an interest in?
7. What is the narrator's reply to Blue's comment, "My old friend, Mr. Compromiser."
(a) "Your old friend, Truth."
(b) "Your old friend, Faith."
(c) "Your old friend, Reason."
(d) "Your old friend, Honesty."
8. What color hair does Blue have?
(a) Gray hair.
(b) Black hair.
(c) White hair.
(d) Brown hair.
9. What is one objection the narrator had to Blue's vocational plan?
(a) Blue is too old.
(b) It is a waste of Blue's talents.
(c) Blue cannot sustain himself financially.
(d) Blue is not in good health.
10. The last time someone saw Stevens, what is he doing?
(a) At the movies.
(b) Drinking at the bar.
(c) Leaving Blue's skyscraper.
(d) Trying to blow up the bank.
11. In one of Blue's letters, Blue writes, "Life gives you ______________."
(a) Lemons and it is up to you to make lemonade.
(b) A taste of the imagination.
(c) The ability to read, not to think.
(d) Pretty much what you give it.
12. Fill in the following quote from one of Blue's letters: "People remember sorrow much longer than they remember ___________."
13. According to Blue in Chapter VI, what is Saint Patrick's Cathedral?
(a) An anachronism.
14. Which of Blue's letters is a reply to the narrator's objection to Blue's upbraiding the world?
(a) Fifth letter.
(b) Third letter.
(c) Second letter.
(d) Fourth letter.
15. What quality could Blue not view with Christian forbearance?
Short Answer Questions
1. After the narrator leaves Blue in Chapter VII, what job does Blue begin?
2. What is the title of the one serious poem written by Blue in Chapter V?
3. Fill in the following quote from the end of the novel: "Why are all of us here and not ________."
4. How many total letters does the narrator acquire that were written by Blue?
5. What makes up the majority of the content of Chapter V?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)