|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Blue and the narrator circle the lakes in Chapter VI, where do they stop?
(a) At the bench.
(b) They didn't stop.
(c) At the paddle boat rental shop.
(d) At a historical marker.
2. In Chapter VI, what type of architecture does Blue rant about?
3. Which of Blue's letters is a reply to the narrator's objection to Blue's upbraiding the world?
(a) Fourth letter.
(b) Third letter.
(c) Fifth letter.
(d) Second letter.
4. What does Blue eat at the restaurant with the narrator in Chapter VI?
(a) Pasta salad.
(b) Clam chowder.
(c) Crab cakes.
5. Which of the following ways does Blue support himself?
(a) Working at a bank.
(b) Shoveling snow.
(c) Collecting pennies.
(d) Performing concerts.
6. According to the narrator, what is the backbone of civilization?
7. What religion is Blue?
8. After the narrator leaves the hospital, who comes to visit Blue?
(a) Ed and Phil.
(b) Jake and Richard.
(c) Joe and Mike.
(d) Sam and Jim.
9. What stationary is Blue's second letter written on?
(a) Rockefeller Center.
(b) Motel Aspire.
(c) Parchment paper.
(d) Hotel Ganymede.
10. What do the two visitors bring to Blue in the hospital?
(a) A pint of gin.
(b) A Bible.
(d) A book.
11. What are the narrator's feelings towards Blue as he walked away?
(a) He feels sorry for Blue.
(b) He is disappointed with Blue.
(c) He is angry at Blue.
(d) He is proud of Blue.
12. What is the name of the member of the lumberyard gang who Blue took an interest in?
13. At the end of Chapter VI, what subway entrance do Blue and the narrator stop outside of?
(a) Old North Church.
(b) Boston Harbor.
(c) Dartmouth and Boylston Streets.
(d) Newbury and Mitchell Streets.
14. What does the narrator do with the gift from Blue at the end of Chapter VI?
(a) Puts it in his pocket.
(b) Throws it in the river.
(c) Leaves it on the sidewalk.
(d) Gives it back to Blue.
15. How does the narrator know where to find Blue's hospital cot?
(a) Blue's note said the room number.
(b) A crowd of people around him.
(c) He asked at the front desk.
(d) The narrator knew the hospital well.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fill in the following description of Copley Square: "One needs _____________ to fill the emptiness of Copley Square at night."
2. What is the narrator's reply to Blue's comment, "My old friend, Mr. Compromiser."
3. What is Blue's third letter written on?
4. Where does the novel take place in Chapter VII?
5. According to Blue in Chapter VI, what is the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)