|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Orin speaking to in the beginning of Play Three, Act Two?
2. What is the name of the islander that Orin taunts Christine about?
3. How many letters does Orin receive from Christine in the last six months of the war?
4. What does Christine tell Orin that Captain Brant is after?
5. Hazel and Peter get a telegram from Lavinia and Orin, sent from where?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Discuss the symbolic significance of each of the following: The Mannon house; the song "Shenandoah"; the family resemblances and the islands.
Essay Topic 2Discuss each of the following themes and how they resonate throughout the play: family duty; sins of the fathers; and the dark side of love.
Essay Topic 3Discuss the specific character parallels between the Greek tragedies and Mourning Becomes Electra. What are some of the significant differences between characters that give a different resonance to O'Neill's play?
This section contains 175 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)