|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Seth bet Abner to stay the night in the Mannon house?
2. What is the name of the ship officer that Orin accuses Lavinia of wanting on their trip East?
3. Orin tells Christine at the end of the Play Two, Act Three that she is his what?
4. What song is the chantyman singing at the beginning of Play Two, Act Four?
5. Christine tells Orin that Lavinia becomes _________ since he is gone.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the setting and stage direction in Mourning Becomes Electra are as significant to the plot as the characters, giving five specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the specific character parallels between the Greek tragedies and Mourning Becomes Electra. What are some of the significant differences between characters that give a different resonance to O'Neill's play?
Essay Topic 3
How is love evoked throughout the novel as a justification for sins. What are the thematic implications of the darker side of love in the play?
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)