|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orin says killing Brant is almost like ___________.
2. What is the name of the ship officer that Orin accuses Lavinia of wanting on their trip East?
3. What does Orin tell his mother that Brant does to her to get her to murder Ezra?
4. Seth tells Hazel he lets Abner Small in the house to stop the __________.
5. Who does Lavinia send to get Doctor Blake, after Christine kills herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elements of both the laws of man and nature are distorted and broken in this play. Discuss the symbolic and thematic implications of incest, murder and revenge in Mourning Becomes Electra.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the thematic points of fate versus free will shown throughout Mourning Becomes Electra.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Lavinia and O'Neill's interpretation of her as Electra. How does her character drive both the plot and themes of the play? What is the meaning behind the title of the play?
This section contains 180 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)