|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the islander that Orin taunts Christine about?
2. What does Orin tell his mother that Brant does to her to get her to murder Ezra?
3. Whose house does Ira Mackel say is haunted?
4. What is Orin carrying, when he and Lavinia return to the house in Act Five of the second play?
5. Orin says killing Brant is almost like ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lavinia call the Mannon house the Temple of Hate and Death? What role does religion play in the plot, and most specifically, in the Mannon name itself?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the non-plot parallels between Mourning Becomes Electra and the classical Greek tragedies it is based on.
Essay Topic 3
The idea of a family curse is surfaced throughout the play. Discuss the importance of this theme in the Greek originals and O'Neills modern interpretation of this classical idea.
This section contains 179 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)