|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lavinia place over the heart of her father's dead body in Act Three of the second play?
2. What is the setting of the second act of Play Two?
3. Where do Brant and Christine plan to sail to on the ship Atlantis?
4. Orin tells a shocked Lavinia that she must learn to _________ death.
5. What does Orin tell Lavinia he is doing, locked in the dark study by himself in the third play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lavinia call the Mannon house the Temple of Hate and Death? What role does religion play in the plot, and most specifically, in the Mannon name itself?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Lavinia and O'Neill's interpretation of her as Electra. How does her character drive both the plot and themes of the play? What is the meaning behind the title of the play?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of demands on the audience does Mourning Becomes Electra make? Discuss the structure, length and emotional weight of the play.
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)