|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man that Christine convinces Orin she meets in New York, rather than Brant?
2. Christine tells Orin that Lavinia becomes _________ since he is gone.
3. What does Lavinia place over the heart of her father's dead body in Act Three of the second play?
4. Orin tells Christine about a book he reads during the war that tells him all about what?
5. What does Hazel give to Orin to help make him comfortable, as he settles into being back home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Mourning Becomes Electra highlights the power and strength of woman versus men. Is this a positive or negative message? What are the implications of this theme considering when this play is written?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of a family curse is surfaced throughout the play. Discuss the importance of this theme in the Greek originals and O'Neills modern interpretation of this classical idea.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how O'Neill makes the key thematic point through Mourning Becomes Electra that humanity doesn't change much in two thousand years.
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)