|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Christine when she comes upon Peter and Lavinia in the first scene of the play?
2. What is Orin wearing on his head when he returns from war?
3. What color dress is Christine wearing in Act Three of the first play?
4. Lavinia always reminds her mother of what?
5. Lavinia tells Seth in the first scene that Captain Brant is coming to the house that night to ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Christine accuse Lavinia of at the end of the first act of the second play?
2. What does Orin tell Lavinia he dreams about during the war?
3. How does Christine die?
4. How does Ezra describe Orin's condition to Christine when he returns from the war?
5. What does Orin tell Hazel to do with the envelope he gives her in Play Three, Act Three?
6. What is remarkable about Lavinia's appearance in the third play?
7. What condition is Orin in at the beginning of the third play?
8. How does Ezra tell Christine he is feeling the morning after he returns from the war?
9. What is Ezra's appearance like on the night he returns from the war?
10. What does Seth tell Lavinia about the French-Canadian nurse that he believes is Brant's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elements of both the laws of man and nature are distorted and broken in this play. Discuss the symbolic and thematic implications of incest, murder and revenge in Mourning Becomes Electra.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Mourning Becomes Electra highlights the power and strength of woman versus men. Is this a positive or negative message? What are the implications of this theme considering when this play is written?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the non-plot parallels between Mourning Becomes Electra and the classical Greek tragedies it is based on.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)