|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the members of the "chorus" in the first scene of the play?
2. Lavinia tells Seth in the first scene that Captain Brant is coming to the house that night to ___________.
3. What does the doctor call Ezra's heart condition?
4. What is Orin's military rank?
5. Christine and Brant plot to make Ezra's death look like a ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Josiah Borden?
2. What does Christine say when Orin confronts her about Captain Brant, the day he returns from the war?
3. How does Peter react to seeing Lavinia when she returns from her trip to the East?
4. How does Christine treat Hazel in the second play?
5. What is Ezra's appearance like on the night he returns from the war?
6. Why is Orin surprised by Christine's obvious grief over Brant's death?
7. What does Christine accuse Lavinia of at the end of the first act of the second play?
8. How does the conversation between Seth and the townspeople in the first scene of the play hint at secrets in the Mannon family?
9. What is remarkable about Lavinia's appearance in the third play?
10. What does Hazel tell Lavinia in the last act of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Discuss the use throughout the play of the literary components of foreshadowing, irony and metaphor.
Essay Topic 2Discuss how the setting and stage direction in Mourning Becomes Electra are as significant to the plot as the characters, giving five specific examples.
Essay Topic 3Discuss how O'Neill makes the key thematic point through Mourning Becomes Electra that humanity doesn't change much in two thousand years.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)