|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lavinia tell Peter she hates in the first scene of the play?
2. Ezra tells Christine there is always ___________ between them.
3. As he is dying, Christine tells Lavinia that Ezra is ____________.
4. Christine and Brant plot to make Ezra's death look like a ___________.
5. Who is waiting with Christine to see Orin return from the train station?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Orin and Lavinia come to be just like their parents?
2. How does Orin die?
3. Why is Christine able to bond with Orin and not Lavinia?
4. What does Hazel say about the Mannon house as she and Peter prepare it for Lavinia and Orin's return from the islands?
5. How does Lavinia react when Seth tells her that Adam Brant might be a Mannon?
6. What does Orin say about the Mannon house when he first sees it, after returning from the war?
7. What is remarkable about Lavinia's appearance in the third play?
8. Why does Adam Brant tell Lavinia he wants to kill Ezra?
9. What do Seth and the townspeople discuss as the first scene of the play opens?
10. How does Christine die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolic significance of each of the following: The Mannon house; the song "Shenandoah"; the family resemblances and the islands.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the setting and stage direction in Mourning Becomes Electra are as significant to the plot as the characters, giving five specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss each of the following themes and how they resonate throughout the play: family duty; sins of the fathers; and the dark side of love.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)