|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Everett Hills?
2. Who jokes that Ezra probably dies from making love to Christine?
3. What does Ezra tell Christine that house and his bed are waiting for?
4. How many days is it since Ezra's death at the beginning of the second play?
5. What does Christine tell Brant he does with her share of the Mannon estate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Christine die?
2. What is Orin writing down in Play Three, Act Two?
3. Why does Lavinia refuse Peter's marriage proposal in the first act of the play?
4. What does Orin tell Hazel to do with the envelope he gives her in Play Three, Act Three?
5. How does Christine learn of Brant's murder?
6. What does Hazel tell Lavinia in the last act of the play?
7. What does Seth tell Lavinia about the French-Canadian nurse that he believes is Brant's mother?
8. Who is Lavinia Mannon?
9. Who is Josiah Borden?
10. How does Captain Brant die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Orin and Lavinia begin to resemble their parents, not only in appearance, but in the very words they speak by the end of the play? What are the thematic implications of this metamorphosis?
Essay Topic 2
Elements of both the laws of man and nature are distorted and broken in this play. Discuss the symbolic and thematic implications of incest, murder and revenge in Mourning Becomes Electra.
Essay Topic 3
The idea of a family curse is surfaced throughout the play. Discuss the importance of this theme in the Greek originals and O'Neills modern interpretation of this classical idea.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)