|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lavinia tells Peter she can't marry him because _________ needs her.
2. What is the name of the main character speaking in the first scene of Homecoming?
3. Lavinia writes her father a letter about whom?
4. What does the Mannon house remind Orin of when he sees it for the first time after the war?
5. Ezra is a highly regarded ___________ of the town.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hazel say about the Mannon house as she and Peter prepare it for Lavinia and Orin's return from the islands?
2. How does Christine die?
3. What do Seth and the townspeople discuss as the first scene of the play opens?
4. Who is Lavinia Mannon?
5. How does Orin describe his and Lavinia's experience on the Island?
6. Describe the Mannon mansion in the opening scene of the play.
7. What is significant about Play One, Act Two taking place under the watchful eye of Ezra's portrait?
8. Describe Ezra's death scene.
9. How does Ezra tell Christine he is feeling the morning after he returns from the war?
10. What significant information does Captain Brant learn from the drunken sailor near his ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Orin and Lavinia begin to resemble their parents, not only in appearance, but in the very words they speak by the end of the play? What are the thematic implications of this metamorphosis?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Lavinia call the Mannon house the Temple of Hate and Death? What role does religion play in the plot, and most specifically, in the Mannon name itself?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how O'Neill uses the classical Greek tragedies The Oresteia by Aeschylus, Electra by Sophocles, and Electra by Euripides. What components of the plots are used in Mourning Becomes Electra?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)