|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is drunk in the third act of the first play?
2. Lavinia always reminds her mother of what?
3. What does the Mannon house remind Orin of when he sees it for the first time after the war?
4. What does Ezra beg Christine to give him as he is dying?
5. What color dress is Lavinia wearing the night her father returns?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lavinia Mannon?
2. Why does Adam Brant tell Lavinia he wants to kill Ezra?
3. What is remarkable about Lavinia's appearance in the third play?
4. What news does Peter share with Lavinia in Act One, Scene One of Homecoming?
5. What does Orin tell Lavinia he dreams about during the war?
6. What does Mrs. Hills attribute Ezra's sudden death to?
7. How does Lavinia begin to change Orin's mind about their mother's innocence?
8. How does Peter react to seeing Lavinia when she returns from her trip to the East?
9. Who is Josiah Borden?
10. How does O'Neill show a clear contrast between Christine and Hazel in Play Two, Act Five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of a family curse is surfaced throughout the play. Discuss the importance of this theme in the Greek originals and O'Neills modern interpretation of this classical idea.
Essay Topic 2
What statement does Mourning Becomes Electra make on the nature and power of guilt?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use throughout the play of the literary components of foreshadowing, irony and metaphor.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)