|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peter thinks Captain Brant looks more like a ___________ than a ship captain.
2. What is Brant's mother's position in the Mannon household?
3. What does Mrs. Hills say kills Ezra?
4. Who is the lover that Christine says Lavinia is waiting for in Play One, Act Three?
5. Who does Lavinia say that Captain Brant is using for revenge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Orin writing down in Play Three, Act Two?
2. Who is Lavinia Mannon?
3. What do Seth and the townspeople discuss as the first scene of the play opens?
4. What does Christine say when Orin confronts her about Captain Brant, the day he returns from the war?
5. What does Orin say about the war that shocks Christine, Hazel and Peter?
6. What causes Lavinia to think Christine has something to do with Ezra's death?
7. How does Ezra describe Orin's condition to Christine when he returns from the war?
8. Describe Christine and Orin's reunion.
9. How does Orin describe his and Lavinia's experience on the Island?
10. Who is Josiah Borden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of a family curse is surfaced throughout the play. Discuss the importance of this theme in the Greek originals and O'Neills modern interpretation of this classical idea.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the setting and stage direction in Mourning Becomes Electra are as significant to the plot as the characters, giving five specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use throughout the play of the literary components of foreshadowing, irony and metaphor.
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)