|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the members of the "chorus" in the first scene of the play?
2. What does Christine call Orin when she first sees him on the day he returns from the war?
3. Lavinia thinks of Peter as a _________.
4. Who is Everett Hills?
5. What does the old gardener call Lavinia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orin say about the war that shocks Christine, Hazel and Peter?
2. What does Christine tell Lavinia is the reason they never get along?
3. How does Peter react to seeing Lavinia when she returns from her trip to the East?
4. What causes Ezra to have a heart attack the morning after he returns from the war?
5. What does Orin say about the Mannon house when he first sees it, after returning from the war?
6. What is remarkable about Lavinia's appearance in the third play?
7. How does Ezra tell Christine he is feeling the morning after he returns from the war?
8. What is Orin writing down in Play Three, Act Two?
9. Describe Christine and Orin's reunion.
10. What does Mrs. Hills attribute Ezra's sudden death to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the thematic points of fate versus free will shown throughout Mourning Becomes Electra.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Peter and Hazel to Orin and Lavinia. What does the start differences in these character types illustrate in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the non-plot parallels between Mourning Becomes Electra and the classical Greek tragedies it is based on.
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)