|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christine tells Lavinia she believes the war is over when she hears what?
2. Who jokes that Ezra probably dies from making love to Christine?
3. Christine and Brant plot to make Ezra's death look like a ___________.
4. What is Orin's military rank?
5. Lavinia tells Seth in the first scene that Captain Brant is coming to the house that night to ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lavinia's fate?
2. How do Orin and Lavinia come to be just like their parents?
3. What does Christine tell Lavinia is the reason they never get along?
4. How does Christine plan to kill Ezra with the help of Captain Brant?
5. Who is eavesdropping on Christine and Brant's conversation on his ship?
6. How does Christine die?
7. What plans do Christine and Brant make when she comes to see him on his ship?
8. What is remarkable about Lavinia's appearance in the third play?
9. What does Hazel tell Lavinia in the last act of the play?
10. Why is Orin suspicious of his mother's fondness for Hazel?
Essay Topic 1
Elements of both the laws of man and nature are distorted and broken in this play. Discuss the symbolic and thematic implications of incest, murder and revenge in Mourning Becomes Electra.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how O'Neill makes the key thematic point through Mourning Becomes Electra that humanity doesn't change much in two thousand years.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the thematic points of fate versus free will shown throughout Mourning Becomes Electra.
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)