|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ezra tells Christine he can't talk to her with her ______________.
2. Lavinia writes her father a letter about whom?
3. Who is the lover that Christine says Lavinia is waiting for in Play One, Act Three?
4. Who does Ezra call out for as he is dying?
5. Christine and Brant plot to make Ezra's death look like a ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Christine say when Orin confronts her about Captain Brant, the day he returns from the war?
2. Describe Ezra's death scene.
3. What is Orin writing down in Play Three, Act Two?
4. Why is Christine able to bond with Orin and not Lavinia?
5. How does Christine plan to kill Ezra with the help of Captain Brant?
6. What does Hazel say about the Mannon house as she and Peter prepare it for Lavinia and Orin's return from the islands?
7. What does Orin mean when he tells her that he can forgive her for anything, except being with Brant?
8. Why is Orin surprised by Christine's obvious grief over Brant's death?
9. What significant information does Captain Brant learn from the drunken sailor near his ship?
10. What does Orin say about the Mannon house when he first sees it, after returning from the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lavinia call the Mannon house the Temple of Hate and Death? What role does religion play in the plot, and most specifically, in the Mannon name itself?
Essay Topic 2
How is love evoked throughout the novel as a justification for sins. What are the thematic implications of the darker side of love in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use throughout the play of the literary components of foreshadowing, irony and metaphor.
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)