|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Captain Brant tell Lavinia happens to his father?
2. Christine and Brant plot to make Ezra's death look like a ___________.
3. Who goes to the train station with Lavinia to meet Orin?
4. Who does Peter hear rumors about Lavinia falling in love with?
5. Who does Lavinia vow to punish at the end of the first play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orin tell Lavinia he is actually wounded in the war?
2. How does the conversation between Seth and the townspeople in the first scene of the play hint at secrets in the Mannon family?
3. What is Christine's reaction when Lavinia tells her the war is over soon?
4. How do Orin and Lavinia come to be just like their parents?
5. Who is Lavinia Mannon?
6. What does Hazel say about the Mannon house as she and Peter prepare it for Lavinia and Orin's return from the islands?
7. What condition is Orin in at the beginning of the third play?
8. How does Ezra describe Orin's condition to Christine when he returns from the war?
9. Why does Lavinia refuse Peter's marriage proposal in the first act of the play?
10. How does Christine learn of Brant's murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What statement does Mourning Becomes Electra make on the nature and power of guilt?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the setting and stage direction in Mourning Becomes Electra are as significant to the plot as the characters, giving five specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss each of the following themes and how they resonate throughout the play: family duty; sins of the fathers; and the dark side of love.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)