|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Captain Brant says Lavinia looks exactly like who?
2. According to Seth, who throws David Mannon out of the house?
3. What is the name of Captain Brant's mother?
4. What does Christine hide behind her back as Ezra is dying?
5. Who is Hazel hoping Lavinia hears from in the first act of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Christine's reaction when Lavinia tells her the war is over soon?
2. How does the conversation between Seth and the townspeople in the first scene of the play hint at secrets in the Mannon family?
3. What is Ezra's appearance like on the night he returns from the war?
4. What significant information does Captain Brant learn from the drunken sailor near his ship?
5. How does Lavinia react when Seth tells her that Adam Brant might be a Mannon?
6. Why does Adam Brant tell Lavinia he wants to kill Ezra?
7. How does Orin tell Lavinia he is actually wounded in the war?
8. How does Captain Brant die?
9. What do Seth and the other men dare Abner Small to do at the beginning of the third play?
10. What does Mrs. Hills attribute Ezra's sudden death to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Lavinia and O'Neill's interpretation of her as Electra. How does her character drive both the plot and themes of the play? What is the meaning behind the title of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the non-plot parallels between Mourning Becomes Electra and the classical Greek tragedies it is based on.
Essay Topic 3
The idea of a family curse is surfaced throughout the play. Discuss the importance of this theme in the Greek originals and O'Neills modern interpretation of this classical idea.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)