|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orin teases Lavinia when he returns from the war that she is still _____________.
2. How long are Ezra and Christine married?
3. What do Christine and Brant hear at the end of Act Two of Homecoming?
4. What is the setting of Play One, Act Four?
5. What color dress is Lavinia wearing the night her father returns?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lavinia react when Seth tells her that Adam Brant might be a Mannon?
2. What news does Peter share with Lavinia in Act One, Scene One of Homecoming?
3. What causes Lavinia to think Christine has something to do with Ezra's death?
4. What does Orin say about the Mannon house when he first sees it, after returning from the war?
5. How does Orin describe his and Lavinia's experience on the Island?
6. What is Christine's reaction when Lavinia tells her the war is over soon?
7. How does Ezra tell Christine he is feeling the morning after he returns from the war?
8. How does Christine plan to kill Ezra with the help of Captain Brant?
9. What does Orin mean when he tells her that he can forgive her for anything, except being with Brant?
10. What does Orin say about the war that shocks Christine, Hazel and Peter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lavinia call the Mannon house the Temple of Hate and Death? What role does religion play in the plot, and most specifically, in the Mannon name itself?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolic significance of each of the following: The Mannon house; the song "Shenandoah"; the family resemblances and the islands.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the thematic points of fate versus free will shown throughout Mourning Becomes Electra.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)