|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Mannon house located?
2. Lavinia thinks of Peter as a _________.
3. How many years is Seth with the Mannon family?
4. What is Amos Ames' trade?
5. What does Christine go into her room to get when Ezra becomes ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ezra tell Christine he is feeling the morning after he returns from the war?
2. What does Orin say about the Mannon house when he first sees it, after returning from the war?
3. Who is eavesdropping on Christine and Brant's conversation on his ship?
4. What does Christine accuse Lavinia of at the end of the first act of the second play?
5. How does Lavinia react when Seth tells her that Adam Brant might be a Mannon?
6. How does Lavinia begin to change Orin's mind about their mother's innocence?
7. What does Mrs. Hills attribute Ezra's sudden death to?
8. Why does Lavinia refuse Peter's marriage proposal in the first act of the play?
9. How does Orin describe his and Lavinia's experience on the Island?
10. How does the conversation between Seth and the townspeople in the first scene of the play hint at secrets in the Mannon family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of a family curse is surfaced throughout the play. Discuss the importance of this theme in the Greek originals and O'Neills modern interpretation of this classical idea.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the non-plot parallels between Mourning Becomes Electra and the classical Greek tragedies it is based on.
Essay Topic 3
How do Orin and Lavinia begin to resemble their parents, not only in appearance, but in the very words they speak by the end of the play? What are the thematic implications of this metamorphosis?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)