|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ezra tells Christine that the war makes him look at ________ differently.
2. Lavinia always reminds her mother of what?
3. Who does Christine compare the Mannon house to?
4. Who does Lavinia say that Captain Brant is using for revenge?
5. How many days is it since Ezra's death at the beginning of the second play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Christine learn of Brant's murder?
2. What condition is Orin in at the beginning of the third play?
3. What is Ezra's appearance like on the night he returns from the war?
4. What does Orin tell Lavinia he dreams about during the war?
5. Who is Lavinia Mannon?
6. Why is Orin surprised by Christine's obvious grief over Brant's death?
7. How do Orin and Lavinia come to be just like their parents?
8. Describe Ezra's death scene.
9. What does Orin say about the war that shocks Christine, Hazel and Peter?
10. How does Ezra describe Orin's condition to Christine when he returns from the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Mourning Becomes Electra highlights the power and strength of woman versus men. Is this a positive or negative message? What are the implications of this theme considering when this play is written?
Essay Topic 2
Elements of both the laws of man and nature are distorted and broken in this play. Discuss the symbolic and thematic implications of incest, murder and revenge in Mourning Becomes Electra.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Lavinia and O'Neill's interpretation of her as Electra. How does her character drive both the plot and themes of the play? What is the meaning behind the title of the play?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)