|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color dress is Christine wearing in Act Three of the first play?
2. What does the old gardener call Lavinia?
3. Captain Brant tells Lavinia that the color of her hair reminds him of whom?
4. What does Christine accuse Lavinia of at the end of the first act of the second play?
5. Captain Brant speaks to Lavinia at some length about his love of _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Christine plan to kill Ezra with the help of Captain Brant?
2. Why is Orin surprised by Christine's obvious grief over Brant's death?
3. Why is Orin suspicious of his mother's fondness for Hazel?
4. What does Orin say about the Mannon house when he first sees it, after returning from the war?
5. What is Orin writing down in Play Three, Act Two?
6. How does Orin die?
7. What does Christine tell Lavinia is the reason they never get along?
8. How does the war change Ezra's view about death?
9. How do Orin and Lavinia come to be just like their parents?
10. What do Seth and the townspeople discuss as the first scene of the play opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use throughout the play of the literary components of foreshadowing, irony and metaphor.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the non-plot parallels between Mourning Becomes Electra and the classical Greek tragedies it is based on.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Lavinia and O'Neill's interpretation of her as Electra. How does her character drive both the plot and themes of the play? What is the meaning behind the title of the play?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)