|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Borden say she can't abide?
2. Who is drunk in the third act of the first play?
3. What song is being sung as the play opens?
4. Ezra tells Christine that the war makes him look at ________ differently.
5. What is the name of the main character speaking in the first scene of Homecoming?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Orin's tone as he talks to his dead father in Play Two, Act Three?
2. How does Orin describe his and Lavinia's experience on the Island?
3. How does Christine treat Hazel in the second play?
4. How does Ezra describe Orin's condition to Christine when he returns from the war?
5. What does Christine accuse Lavinia of at the end of the first act of the second play?
6. What is Christine's reaction when Lavinia tells her the war is over soon?
7. How does Orin tell Lavinia he is actually wounded in the war?
8. What does Christine say when Orin confronts her about Captain Brant, the day he returns from the war?
9. Why is Orin suspicious of his mother's fondness for Hazel?
10. What condition is Orin in at the beginning of the third play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What statement does Mourning Becomes Electra make on the nature and power of guilt?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Peter and Hazel to Orin and Lavinia. What does the start differences in these character types illustrate in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how O'Neill makes the key thematic point through Mourning Becomes Electra that humanity doesn't change much in two thousand years.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)