|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is Mourning Becomes Electra taking place?
2. What does the doctor call Ezra's heart condition?
3. Who does Lavinia say that Captain Brant is using for revenge?
4. What does Ezra beg Christine to give him as he is dying?
5. What song is being sung as the play opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Christine compare the Mannon house to Abe Mannon?
2. How does Christine die?
3. Why does Lavinia refuse Peter's marriage proposal in the first act of the play?
4. What does Orin say about the Mannon house when he first sees it, after returning from the war?
5. Who is David Mannon?
6. What is Ezra's appearance like on the night he returns from the war?
7. What news does Peter share with Lavinia in Act One, Scene One of Homecoming?
8. What is remarkable about Lavinia's appearance in the third play?
9. Why is Orin suspicious of his mother's fondness for Hazel?
10. How does Orin describe his and Lavinia's experience on the Island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how O'Neill uses the classical Greek tragedies The Oresteia by Aeschylus, Electra by Sophocles, and Electra by Euripides. What components of the plots are used in Mourning Becomes Electra?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how O'Neill makes the key thematic point through Mourning Becomes Electra that humanity doesn't change much in two thousand years.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Lavinia and O'Neill's interpretation of her as Electra. How does her character drive both the plot and themes of the play? What is the meaning behind the title of the play?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)