|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lavinia thinks of Peter as a _________.
2. Christine and Brant plot to make Ezra's death look like a ___________.
3. Who is Everett Hills?
4. Lavinia always reminds her mother of what?
5. Ezra accuses Christine of lying to him __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ezra's appearance like on the night he returns from the war?
2. Describe Christine and Orin's reunion.
3. What news does Peter share with Lavinia in Act One, Scene One of Homecoming?
4. Describe Ezra's death scene.
5. What does Christine accuse Lavinia of at the end of the first act of the second play?
6. Why is Orin surprised by Christine's obvious grief over Brant's death?
7. Why does Christine compare the Mannon house to Abe Mannon?
8. Why does Lavinia refuse Peter's marriage proposal in the first act of the play?
9. What about Christine surprises Mrs. Borden and Mrs. Hills?
10. Who is Lavinia Mannon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the specific character parallels between the Greek tragedies and Mourning Becomes Electra. What are some of the significant differences between characters that give a different resonance to O'Neill's play?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of a family curse is surfaced throughout the play. Discuss the importance of this theme in the Greek originals and O'Neills modern interpretation of this classical idea.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how O'Neill makes the key thematic point through Mourning Becomes Electra that humanity doesn't change much in two thousand years.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)