|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lavinia always reminds her mother of what?
2. What year is Mourning Becomes Electra taking place?
3. How does Brant want to kill Ezra?
4. Who is waiting with Christine to see Orin return from the train station?
5. Who does Seth think is David Mannon's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Christine's reaction when Lavinia tells her the war is over soon?
2. Why is Christine able to bond with Orin and not Lavinia?
3. According to Mrs. Borden, how is Lavinia handling her father's death?
4. Who is eavesdropping on Christine and Brant's conversation on his ship?
5. How does the conversation between Seth and the townspeople in the first scene of the play hint at secrets in the Mannon family?
6. What is Lavinia's fate?
7. Why does Captain Brant tell Lavinia about the islands he goes to?
8. What is Orin writing down in Play Three, Act Two?
9. How does the war change Ezra's view about death?
10. How does O'Neill show a clear contrast between Christine and Hazel in Play Two, Act Five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of a family curse is surfaced throughout the play. Discuss the importance of this theme in the Greek originals and O'Neills modern interpretation of this classical idea.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the non-plot parallels between Mourning Becomes Electra and the classical Greek tragedies it is based on.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss each of the following themes and how they resonate throughout the play: family duty; sins of the fathers; and the dark side of love.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)