|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Orin learn about Captain Brant?
2. What is the name of Captain Brant's ship?
3. What is the name of Captain Brant's mother?
4. What is Orin wearing on his head when he returns from war?
5. What is the title of the second play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lavinia's fate?
2. What does Christine tell Lavinia is the reason they never get along?
3. What does Christine accuse Lavinia of at the end of the first act of the second play?
4. How does Ezra describe Orin's condition to Christine when he returns from the war?
5. What is remarkable about Lavinia's appearance in the third play?
6. What does Orin mean when he tells her that he can forgive her for anything, except being with Brant?
7. How does Orin die?
8. Describe Ezra's death scene.
9. How does Christine learn of Brant's murder?
10. How does O'Neill show a clear contrast between Christine and Hazel in Play Two, Act Five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of a family curse is surfaced throughout the play. Discuss the importance of this theme in the Greek originals and O'Neills modern interpretation of this classical idea.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how O'Neill makes the key thematic point through Mourning Becomes Electra that humanity doesn't change much in two thousand years.
Essay Topic 3
How do Orin and Lavinia begin to resemble their parents, not only in appearance, but in the very words they speak by the end of the play? What are the thematic implications of this metamorphosis?
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)