|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is waiting with Christine to see Orin return from the train station?
2. As he is dying, Christine tells Lavinia that Ezra is ____________.
3. Who goes to the train station with Lavinia to meet Orin?
4. Christine tells Brant that she loves him because he resembles to who?
5. What does Ezra beg Christine to give him as he is dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is eavesdropping on Christine and Brant's conversation on his ship?
2. According to Mrs. Borden, how is Lavinia handling her father's death?
3. Who is David Mannon?
4. What do Seth and the other men dare Abner Small to do at the beginning of the third play?
5. What causes Lavinia to think Christine has something to do with Ezra's death?
6. Why is Orin suspicious of his mother's fondness for Hazel?
7. Who is Lavinia Mannon?
8. What about Christine surprises Mrs. Borden and Mrs. Hills?
9. What do Seth and the townspeople discuss as the first scene of the play opens?
10. What does Orin tell Lavinia he dreams about during the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Lavinia and O'Neill's interpretation of her as Electra. How does her character drive both the plot and themes of the play? What is the meaning behind the title of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Elements of both the laws of man and nature are distorted and broken in this play. Discuss the symbolic and thematic implications of incest, murder and revenge in Mourning Becomes Electra.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Mourning Becomes Electra highlights the power and strength of woman versus men. Is this a positive or negative message? What are the implications of this theme considering when this play is written?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)