|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ezra tells Christine he can't talk to her with her ______________.
2. Who does Ezra point an accusing finger at as he is dying?
3. Who does Ezra call out for as he is dying?
4. Who does Christine compare the Mannon house to?
5. What is Orin wearing on his head when he returns from war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orin say about the war that shocks Christine, Hazel and Peter?
2. What causes Lavinia to think Christine has something to do with Ezra's death?
3. Why does Lavinia refuse Peter's marriage proposal in the first act of the play?
4. How does the war change Ezra's view about death?
5. According to Mrs. Borden, how is Lavinia handling her father's death?
6. What does Christine say when Orin confronts her about Captain Brant, the day he returns from the war?
7. How do Orin and Lavinia come to be just like their parents?
8. What news does Peter share with Lavinia in Act One, Scene One of Homecoming?
9. What about Christine surprises Mrs. Borden and Mrs. Hills?
10. Why is Orin surprised by Christine's obvious grief over Brant's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the non-plot parallels between Mourning Becomes Electra and the classical Greek tragedies it is based on.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the thematic points of fate versus free will shown throughout Mourning Becomes Electra.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolic significance of each of the following: The Mannon house; the song "Shenandoah"; the family resemblances and the islands.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)