|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Orin equate the war to?
2. Who does Peter hear rumors about Lavinia falling in love with?
3. Lavinia tells Peter she can't marry him because _________ needs her.
4. Lavinia writes her father a letter about whom?
5. What song is being sung as the play opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orin mean when he tells her that he can forgive her for anything, except being with Brant?
2. What is Orin's tone as he talks to his dead father in Play Two, Act Three?
3. What does Christine accuse Lavinia of at the end of the first act of the second play?
4. How does Orin die?
5. What does Orin tell Lavinia he dreams about during the war?
6. What does Christine say when Orin confronts her about Captain Brant, the day he returns from the war?
7. What does Seth tell Lavinia about the French-Canadian nurse that he believes is Brant's mother?
8. What is significant about Play One, Act Two taking place under the watchful eye of Ezra's portrait?
9. How does Ezra tell Christine he is feeling the morning after he returns from the war?
10. Describe the Mannon mansion in the opening scene of the play.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolic significance of each of the following: The Mannon house; the song "Shenandoah"; the family resemblances and the islands.
Essay Topic 2
What statement does Mourning Becomes Electra make on the nature and power of guilt?
Essay Topic 3
What statement about the nature of war and the way it changes a person does O'Neill make through this play?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)