|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christine convinces Brant to get a drug to help kill Ezra from where?
2. What is the name of Captain Brant's ship?
3. According to Seth, who throws David Mannon out of the house?
4. Who is Everett Hills?
5. How old is Captain Brant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Orin's tone as he talks to his dead father in Play Two, Act Three?
2. What causes Lavinia to think Christine has something to do with Ezra's death?
3. What news does Peter share with Lavinia in Act One, Scene One of Homecoming?
4. How does Lavinia begin to change Orin's mind about their mother's innocence?
5. What is Lavinia's fate?
6. What does Orin mean when he tells her that he can forgive her for anything, except being with Brant?
7. According to Mrs. Borden, how is Lavinia handling her father's death?
8. Describe Christine and Orin's reunion.
9. What is Christine's reaction when Lavinia tells her the war is over soon?
10. How does Ezra describe Orin's condition to Christine when he returns from the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss each of the following themes and how they resonate throughout the play: family duty; sins of the fathers; and the dark side of love.
Essay Topic 2
How do Orin and Lavinia begin to resemble their parents, not only in appearance, but in the very words they speak by the end of the play? What are the thematic implications of this metamorphosis?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Mourning Becomes Electra highlights the power and strength of woman versus men. Is this a positive or negative message? What are the implications of this theme considering when this play is written?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)