|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color dress is Lavinia wearing the night her father returns?
2. What does Captain Brant tell Lavinia happens to his father?
3. What do Christine and Brant hear at the end of Act Two of Homecoming?
4. Orin teases Lavinia when he returns from the war that she is still _____________.
5. What does the old gardener call Lavinia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Ezra to have a heart attack the morning after he returns from the war?
2. Why does Lavinia refuse Peter's marriage proposal in the first act of the play?
3. How does Orin die?
4. How does Orin tell Lavinia he is actually wounded in the war?
5. Why does Captain Brant tell Lavinia about the islands he goes to?
6. What is Orin's tone as he talks to his dead father in Play Two, Act Three?
7. How does Christine learn of Brant's murder?
8. What significant information does Captain Brant learn from the drunken sailor near his ship?
9. How does Christine die?
10. According to Mrs. Borden, how is Lavinia handling her father's death?
Essay Topic 1
Elements of both the laws of man and nature are distorted and broken in this play. Discuss the symbolic and thematic implications of incest, murder and revenge in Mourning Becomes Electra.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the setting and stage direction in Mourning Becomes Electra are as significant to the plot as the characters, giving five specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
How is love evoked throughout the novel as a justification for sins. What are the thematic implications of the darker side of love in the play?
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)