|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lavinia writes her father a letter about whom?
2. What does Mrs. Hills say kills Ezra?
3. Where is Christine when she comes upon Peter and Lavinia in the first scene of the play?
4. How many years is Seth with the Mannon family?
5. Who does Ezra point an accusing finger at as he is dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Seth and the townspeople discuss as the first scene of the play opens?
2. What does Orin tell Lavinia he dreams about during the war?
3. What condition is Orin in at the beginning of the third play?
4. How does Lavinia begin to change Orin's mind about their mother's innocence?
5. How does Captain Brant die?
6. Who is eavesdropping on Christine and Brant's conversation on his ship?
7. Why is Christine able to bond with Orin and not Lavinia?
8. According to Mrs. Borden, how is Lavinia handling her father's death?
9. What is Ezra's appearance like on the night he returns from the war?
10. How does the conversation between Seth and the townspeople in the first scene of the play hint at secrets in the Mannon family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of a family curse is surfaced throughout the play. Discuss the importance of this theme in the Greek originals and O'Neills modern interpretation of this classical idea.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how O'Neill makes the key thematic point through Mourning Becomes Electra that humanity doesn't change much in two thousand years.
Essay Topic 3
Elements of both the laws of man and nature are distorted and broken in this play. Discuss the symbolic and thematic implications of incest, murder and revenge in Mourning Becomes Electra.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)