|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is the first production of Mourning Becomes Electra?
2. Ezra tells Christine there is always ___________ between them.
3. What does the doctor call Ezra's heart condition?
4. As Captain Brant leaves for his ship, Christine promises him that she soon is what?
5. What are both Christine and Lavinia wearing in the first scene of Homecoming?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Play One, Act Two taking place under the watchful eye of Ezra's portrait?
2. How does Ezra describe Orin's condition to Christine when he returns from the war?
3. Why is Orin suspicious of his mother's fondness for Hazel?
4. How does Orin describe his and Lavinia's experience on the Island?
5. Describe Christine and Orin's reunion.
6. What does Orin tell Hazel to do with the envelope he gives her in Play Three, Act Three?
7. Why is Orin surprised by Christine's obvious grief over Brant's death?
8. What does Hazel say about the Mannon house as she and Peter prepare it for Lavinia and Orin's return from the islands?
9. What does Orin say about the war that shocks Christine, Hazel and Peter?
10. How does O'Neill show a clear contrast between Christine and Hazel in Play Two, Act Five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Orin and Lavinia begin to resemble their parents, not only in appearance, but in the very words they speak by the end of the play? What are the thematic implications of this metamorphosis?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolic significance of each of the following: The Mannon house; the song "Shenandoah"; the family resemblances and the islands.
Essay Topic 3
What statement does Mourning Becomes Electra make on the nature and power of guilt?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)