|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Orin wearing on his head when he returns from war?
2. Christine and Brant plot to make Ezra's death look like a ___________.
3. Christine tells Brant that she loves him because he resembles to who?
4. As Captain Brant leaves for his ship, Christine promises him that she soon is what?
5. What color dress is Christine wearing in Act Three of the first play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does O'Neill show a clear contrast between Christine and Hazel in Play Two, Act Five?
2. What significant information does Captain Brant learn from the drunken sailor near his ship?
3. How do Orin and Lavinia come to be just like their parents?
4. Why does Christine compare the Mannon house to Abe Mannon?
5. How does Orin describe his and Lavinia's experience on the Island?
6. What does Orin tell Hazel to do with the envelope he gives her in Play Three, Act Three?
7. What is Ezra's appearance like on the night he returns from the war?
8. Describe Christine and Orin's reunion.
9. Why is Orin surprised by Christine's obvious grief over Brant's death?
10. What do Seth and the townspeople discuss as the first scene of the play opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the setting and stage direction in Mourning Becomes Electra are as significant to the plot as the characters, giving five specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how O'Neill uses the classical Greek tragedies The Oresteia by Aeschylus, Electra by Sophocles, and Electra by Euripides. What components of the plots are used in Mourning Becomes Electra?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Mourning Becomes Electra highlights the power and strength of woman versus men. Is this a positive or negative message? What are the implications of this theme considering when this play is written?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)