|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Captain Brant says Lavinia looks exactly like who?
2. Who is Everett Hills?
3. Who is drunk in the third act of the first play?
4. Who does Ezra point an accusing finger at as he is dying?
5. What does the Mannon house remind Orin of when he sees it for the first time after the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Mrs. Borden, how is Lavinia handling her father's death?
2. What does Orin tell Hazel to do with the envelope he gives her in Play Three, Act Three?
3. What is Christine's reaction when Lavinia tells her the war is over soon?
4. Who is Lavinia Mannon?
5. How does Lavinia react when Seth tells her that Adam Brant might be a Mannon?
6. What is Ezra's appearance like on the night he returns from the war?
7. Who is Josiah Borden?
8. Why is Orin surprised by Christine's obvious grief over Brant's death?
9. What do Seth and the other men dare Abner Small to do at the beginning of the third play?
10. How do Orin and Lavinia come to be just like their parents?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Peter and Hazel to Orin and Lavinia. What does the start differences in these character types illustrate in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how O'Neill makes the key thematic point through Mourning Becomes Electra that humanity doesn't change much in two thousand years.
Essay Topic 3
Elements of both the laws of man and nature are distorted and broken in this play. Discuss the symbolic and thematic implications of incest, murder and revenge in Mourning Becomes Electra.
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)