|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lavinia always reminds her mother of what?
2. Orin tells Lavinia that Ezra and the war teaches him what?
3. Lavinia tells Seth in the first scene that Captain Brant is coming to the house that night to ___________.
4. Where is Christine originally from?
5. What is the name of Louisa Ames' cousin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ezra's appearance like on the night he returns from the war?
2. Why is Christine able to bond with Orin and not Lavinia?
3. Why is Orin surprised by Christine's obvious grief over Brant's death?
4. How does O'Neill show a clear contrast between Christine and Hazel in Play Two, Act Five?
5. Who is David Mannon?
6. What does Christine say when Orin confronts her about Captain Brant, the day he returns from the war?
7. What does Orin say about the Mannon house when he first sees it, after returning from the war?
8. Who is eavesdropping on Christine and Brant's conversation on his ship?
9. What do Seth and the townspeople discuss as the first scene of the play opens?
10. Describe Christine and Orin's reunion.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Mourning Becomes Electra highlights the power and strength of woman versus men. Is this a positive or negative message? What are the implications of this theme considering when this play is written?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the setting and stage direction in Mourning Becomes Electra are as significant to the plot as the characters, giving five specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Peter and Hazel to Orin and Lavinia. What does the start differences in these character types illustrate in the play?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)