|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Captain Brant's mother?
2. Ezra Mannon is dressed like a __________ in the portrait that hangs in his study.
3. What does Ezra beg Christine to give him as he is dying?
4. How long are Ezra and Christine married?
5. Who does Ezra point an accusing finger at as he is dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orin describe his and Lavinia's experience on the Island?
2. Describe the Mannon mansion in the opening scene of the play.
3. How does Ezra describe Orin's condition to Christine when he returns from the war?
4. What is Lavinia's fate?
5. What does Orin mean when he tells her that he can forgive her for anything, except being with Brant?
6. What causes Lavinia to think Christine has something to do with Ezra's death?
7. How does Christine learn of Brant's murder?
8. What do Seth and the other men dare Abner Small to do at the beginning of the third play?
9. How does Orin tell Lavinia he is actually wounded in the war?
10. What is Christine's reaction when Lavinia tells her the war is over soon?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss each of the following themes and how they resonate throughout the play: family duty; sins of the fathers; and the dark side of love.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the non-plot parallels between Mourning Becomes Electra and the classical Greek tragedies it is based on.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolic significance of each of the following: The Mannon house; the song "Shenandoah"; the family resemblances and the islands.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)