|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are both Christine and Lavinia wearing in the first scene of Homecoming?
2. How does Brant want to kill Ezra?
3. Where is Christine when she comes upon Peter and Lavinia in the first scene of the play?
4. According to Seth, who throws David Mannon out of the house?
5. What is Orin wearing on his head when he returns from war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lavinia refuse Peter's marriage proposal in the first act of the play?
2. According to Mrs. Borden, how is Lavinia handling her father's death?
3. What causes Lavinia to think Christine has something to do with Ezra's death?
4. How does the conversation between Seth and the townspeople in the first scene of the play hint at secrets in the Mannon family?
5. Who is David Mannon?
6. What is Orin's tone as he talks to his dead father in Play Two, Act Three?
7. Why is Orin suspicious of his mother's fondness for Hazel?
8. What about Christine surprises Mrs. Borden and Mrs. Hills?
9. How does Christine learn of Brant's murder?
10. Describe Ezra's death scene.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the non-plot parallels between Mourning Becomes Electra and the classical Greek tragedies it is based on.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how O'Neill makes the key thematic point through Mourning Becomes Electra that humanity doesn't change much in two thousand years.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Lavinia call the Mannon house the Temple of Hate and Death? What role does religion play in the plot, and most specifically, in the Mannon name itself?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)