|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christine tells Brant that she loves him because he resembles to who?
2. Who jokes that Ezra probably dies from making love to Christine?
3. Who does Christine say she is visiting on her trips to New York?
4. What does Captain Brant tell Lavinia happens to his father?
5. Ezra accuses Christine of lying to him __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Josiah Borden?
2. What do Seth and the other men dare Abner Small to do at the beginning of the third play?
3. Who is David Mannon?
4. How does Orin die?
5. Why is Christine able to bond with Orin and not Lavinia?
6. What does Christine tell Lavinia is the reason they never get along?
7. Why does Adam Brant tell Lavinia he wants to kill Ezra?
8. What is Orin writing down in Play Three, Act Two?
9. How does Orin describe his and Lavinia's experience on the Island?
10. What significant information does Captain Brant learn from the drunken sailor near his ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Lavinia and O'Neill's interpretation of her as Electra. How does her character drive both the plot and themes of the play? What is the meaning behind the title of the play?
Essay Topic 2
What statement about the nature of war and the way it changes a person does O'Neill make through this play?
Essay Topic 3
How is love evoked throughout the novel as a justification for sins. What are the thematic implications of the darker side of love in the play?
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)