|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the ship officer that Orin accuses Lavinia of wanting on their trip East?
2. What does Christine tell Orin that Captain Brant is after?
(b) Christine's heart.
(c) Ezra's money.
(d) Lavinia's heart.
3. Who brings Hazel a note from Christine, asking her to come to the Mannon house?
4. What does Orin muse helps women to understand the brutality of war?
(a) Listening to men's war stories.
(b) Taking a trip to the deserted battlefields.
(c) Being nurses.
(d) Trading places with the men on the front for a month.
5. The stage directions describe Ezra's dead face as looking like __________.
(a) A monster.
(b) A statue.
6. Why does Brant have a pistol out as he tells the drunk shantyman on the wharf to show himself?
(a) He is afraid of Orin.
(b) There are mutiny on his ship.
(c) There are robberies in port.
(d) He thinks it's a ghost.
7. Who is Orin speaking to in the beginning of Play Three, Act Two?
(b) Ezra's portrait.
(d) Christine's ghost.
8. What does Brant learn from the drunk shantyman on the wharf?
(a) Ezra is dead.
(b) The Mannons are broke.
(c) Orin is home from war.
(d) Christine is coming.
9. What is the name of the islander that Orin taunts Christine about?
10. How does Orin kill himself?
(d) Ezra's gun.
11. Orin tells a shocked Lavinia that she must learn to _________ death.
12. How long is it before Brant's ship is due to sail from Boston again?
(a) Six months.
(b) One week.
(c) Two days.
(d) One month.
13. What do Lavinia and Orin do after Brant is shot?
(a) Make it look like a robbery.
(b) Throw his body in the sea.
(c) Frame the shantyman.
(d) Call the police.
14. What does Lavinia show Orin as proof that Christine is a murderer?
(a) A love letter from Brant.
(b) Christine's signed confession.
(c) The pillbox.
(d) The gun.
15. Where does Christine kill herself?
(a) Ezra's study.
(b) The Mannon sitting room.
(c) The Mannon garden.
(d) The wharf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Orin and Christine's secret password from Orin's childhood?
2. What does Hazel give to Orin to help make him comfortable, as he settles into being back home?
3. Where are Christine and Brant talking while Lavinia and Orin listen in?
4. Lavinia threatens to do what if Orin doesn't listen to what she has to say about Christine and their father's death?
5. What does Lavinia force Orin to say doesn't exist at the beginning of the third play?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)