|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does August say Cynthia believes herself to be when speaking to the recorder in Act 1 Part 2?
(a) Ansel Adams.
(b) Ginger Rogers.
(c) Diane Arbus.
(d) An excellent mother.
2. What does Delia believe about the human eye from looking at charts as a child?
(a) That it could tell the future.
(b) That it emitted rays of light.
(c) That it absorbed rays of light.
(d) That it could see through things.
3. How long is Jean taking off work?
(a) Nine months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Eighteen months.
(d) One year.
4. Where does Jean develop an interest in medicine?
(a) From her grandmother.
(b) At a camp.
(c) A mental institution.
(d) In school.
5. What is Jean called as a child?
(c) Mary Jean.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says, "Jesus, dear God, but it's bleak here."
2. What is the setting at the very beginning of Act 1?
3. Who enters the darkness with a flashlight in the end of Act 1 Part 2?
4. Delia admits to Jean in Act 1 that she is what?
5. Which character says, in Act 1, "We'd be working somewhere else if our work here wasn't important?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does August suggest to Cynthia regarding Delia in Act 1? Who else has dealt with Delia in this way?
2. Describe the term which refers to the use of projections in the play. What effect does this theatrical device serve?
3. Compare the characters of August and Chad. How are they alike? How are they different?
4. Where is Dan at the end of The Mound Builders? What is the reaction of the others to this?
5. Dan says early in the play that there are many reasons for building mounds in ancient societies. What are some of these?
6. Who is suspiciously holding the flashlight in the blackout at the end of Act 1? Why?
7. What takes place in the falling action of The Mound Builders?
8. What is the primary motif used in the play? How does this motif symbolize the main character, and how does it relate to the theme?
9. What is a God-king?
10. What is the climax of the play? Where does this occur?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)