|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times does Cynthia say Delia has contacted them in the past 10 years?
(a) Once a year.
2. What does August say that they were racing against early in Act 1?
(a) Being shut down by preservationists.
(b) The construction of a dam.
(c) The lease ending.
(d) An interstate being built.
3. How old is the character Chad Jasker?
4. Who is mentioned by Delia that wrote a book about the eye and vision?
(a) Her father.
(c) August's ex-wife.
(d) Her husband.
5. What upsets Delia after the completion of her novel?
(a) She thought the transcriber hadn't liked it.
(b) She believed her publisher wouldn't buy it.
(c) She thought it was awful.
(d) She had lied while writing it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Professor August Howe?
2. Jean says the women in her family have a history of what?
3. Where is the airport August is going to in Act 1?
4. What does Dan proceed to do after Delia's arrival in Act 1?
5. What are the directions that August gives Dianne regarding his recording?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a God-king?
2. How does Jean feel about Chad's advances in Act 2? What does August say regarding Chad?
3. What topic do the characters Delia and Dan bond over late in Act 1? How do their stories connect?
4. Who is the character named Chad? How does he relate to the other characters in the play? What is his position in relation to the house and the excavation site?
5. Is the mask that was discovered made of gold? Why does August state that it is?
6. 'If you save a man from drowning, you're responsible for him the rest of his life.' Who quotes this proverb in the play? In regards to whom?
7. What fact about Jean's character does Dan ask that August not reveal to the others early in the play? Why?
8. What is the primary motif used in the play? How does this motif symbolize the main character, and how does it relate to the theme?
9. Describe Lanford Wilson's use of narrative in The Mound Builders. In what ways does he choose to reveal the exposition of the play?
10. Which character says, "Great blinders is believing in and she's a great believer in blinders?" What does this mean?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)