|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting at the very beginning of Act 1?
(a) The university.
(b) The site of the dig.
(c) The kitchen of August's home.
(d) August's study.
2. Jean says that in one village six men were laid out ceremonially with what cut off?
(a) Their legs.
(b) Their genitalia.
(c) Their heads.
(d) Their right hands.
3. What are the directions that August gives Dianne regarding his recording?
(a) To listen to them.
(b) To mail them to the university.
(c) To type them up.
(d) To match them with the corresponding slides.
4. How many houses does Cynthia surmise there might have been in the village?
5. How old is Kirsten?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dan claim is another name for the Temple Mound People?
2. Where on the set do the projections appear, according to the stage directions?
3. Why is Jean taking time away from work?
4. At the beginning of Act 1 Part 6, there is a slide of a fire. What does August say this is?
5. Which character says in Act 1, "The truth is in dreams and nightmares, but you haven't succeeded in getting that down?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the overall theme of The Mound Builders? How is this theme portrayed?
2. Describe how Delia's perception of the human eye as a child relates to her perceptions about the world today.
3. Compare the characters of August and Chad. How are they alike? How are they different?
4. What is implied by August's description of Cynthia as "an ex-relation by marriage?" What literary term would this comment be considered?
5. Who's character studied books written by Delia in college? How did he/she feel about those books?
6. Who is Professor August Howe? How old is he? What is his profession?
7. Which character says, "Great blinders is believing in and she's a great believer in blinders?" What does this mean?
8. Is the mask that was discovered made of gold? Why does August state that it is?
9. Describe the set of The Mound Builders. What furniture is used? How are the two locations in the play differentiated through the set design?
10. How does August feel about "aesthetics?" Why?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)