|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What activity is Jean doing in Act 1 Part 4?
(b) Jumping rope.
2. What is the setting at the very beginning of Act 1?
(a) The university.
(b) August's study.
(c) The site of the dig.
(d) The kitchen of August's home.
3. Who is left alone in the dark at the end of Act 1 Part 6?
4. How do we know when August is alone in his study?
(a) The lighting confines to this area only.
(b) It is projected on the screen.
(c) The desk rises from beneath the stage.
(d) There is a full set change.
5. Who is mentioned by Delia that wrote a book about the eye and vision?
(a) August's ex-wife.
(b) Her husband.
(d) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dan say the sign read when he woke up drunk in New York?
2. Who is revealed to be having an affair with Cynthia near the end of Act 1?
3. Who discovers the evidence of the village site?
4. What is Delia's last name?
5. What does August state on the recorder that he intends to do at the beginning of Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrives drunk after fishing near the end of Act 1? What is the relationship of these two characters?
2. Who is the character named Chad? How does he relate to the other characters in the play? What is his position in relation to the house and the excavation site?
3. Why did Delia lock herself in her apartment after completing her book? Who found her?
4. What is a God-king?
5. Compare the characters of Jean and Delia. How do they relate to each other? How are they similar? How are they different?
6. Where is Chad at the end of the play?
7. How did Jean's experience as a spelling bee champion lead to her current career path? Was this a direct or indirect route?
8. Explain the relationship of Dan and Jean. How are they related and how long have they known each other?
9. The Mound Builders is unique in its depiction of time. Explain the two different periods of time which are illustrated in the play and how this differentiation is made clear to the audience (and reader).
10. What does the discovery in Act 2 Part 1 lead Dan to theorize about this ancient culture?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)