|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who enters from upstairs in Act 1 Part 1 as the lights change to transition into the next scene?
(a) Chad and Jean.
(b) Cynthia and Kirsten.
(c) Kirsten and Delia.
(d) Delia and Chad.
2. What does Chad offer to give Jean in Act 1?
(a) The house.
(b) His share of the lease.
(c) A dog.
(d) The model.
3. Who is the author of the Aztec poem that is recited in Act 1?
(a) A God-King.
(b) The shaman it was buried by.
(d) It is unknown.
4. Why is Jean taking time away from work?
(a) To have a baby.
(b) To get married.
(c) To return to school.
(d) To be with Dan on the dig.
5. What are the directions that August gives Dianne regarding his recording?
(a) To mail them to the university.
(b) To match them with the corresponding slides.
(c) To type them up.
(d) To listen to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name that August refers to the site as?
2. What does Delia claim they were doing to her at the hospital?
3. What is the name of the person to whom August speaks in the tape recorder?
4. What do the lights begin to reveal at the end of Act 1 Part 1?
5. What does August say his father did to Delia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is suspiciously holding the flashlight in the blackout at the end of Act 1? Why?
2. What is the climax of the play? Where does this occur?
3. Why did Delia lock herself in her apartment after completing her book? Who found her?
4. Is the mask that was discovered made of gold? Why does August state that it is?
5. What topic do the characters Delia and Dan bond over late in Act 1? How do their stories connect?
6. What elements of Delia's character are revealed before she appears in the play? What literary term is defined by its use to provide background and inform the readers about the plot, character, setting, and theme of the essay/story?
7. Describe the character of Cynthia. Who is she in relation to the main character? How old is she? What is her profession?
8. Who's character studied books written by Delia in college? How did he/she feel about those books?
9. Compare the characters of Jean and Delia. How do they relate to each other? How are they similar? How are they different?
10. The Mound Builders is unique in its depiction of time. Explain the two different periods of time which are illustrated in the play and how this differentiation is made clear to the audience (and reader).
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)