|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Delia say in Act 1 that she is frantically beating the bushes for?
(b) The truth.
(c) Her sight.
(d) Something to believe in.
2. Who comes to comfort Kirsten at the end of Act 1 Part 2?
3. Delia admits to Jean in Act 1 that she is what?
(b) A hypochondriac.
(d) A liar.
4. Where is the airport August is going to in Act 1?
(a) Blue Shoals.
(b) Mountain Springs.
5. Which character says in Act 1, "The truth is in dreams and nightmares, but you haven't succeeded in getting that down?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character won a national spelling bee as a kid?
2. What does Delia claim was the model for Camus' The Plague?
3. What is Delia's last name?
4. Who is camping near the house?
5. Who carries Delia into the house in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Delia lock herself in her apartment after completing her book? Who found her?
2. What does August say blinds a man "to the passing moon?" What does he mean?
3. Which character has a history of miscarriages in his/her family? How has that affected this character?
4. Is the mask that was discovered made of gold? Why does August state that it is?
5. In the end of Act 2, Part 3, August repeats the word "nothing." What does this imply?
6. How does the word "excavation" relate literally and figuratively in the play? What is being excavated in both senses of the word?
7. Who references a Chinese puzzle box in the play? What does this metaphor relate to?
8. The Mound Builders is unique in its depiction of time. Explain the two different periods of time which are illustrated in the play and how this differentiation is made clear to the audience (and reader).
9. Compare the characters of Jean and Delia. How do they relate to each other? How are they similar? How are they different?
10. How did Jean's experience as a spelling bee champion lead to her current career path? Was this a direct or indirect route?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)