|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character says, in Act 1, "We'd be working somewhere else if our work here wasn't important?"
2. Who enters from upstairs in Act 1 Part 1 as the lights change to transition into the next scene?
(a) Chad and Jean.
(b) Cynthia and Kirsten.
(c) Kirsten and Delia.
(d) Delia and Chad.
3. What does Dan say the sign read when he woke up drunk in New York?
(b) "Fire alert."
(c) "Dial 911."
(d) "You must answer to get help."
4. What is Jean called as a child?
(c) Mary Jean.
5. Who appears with Jean in front of the slide of the lake in Act 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where on the set do the projections appear, according to the stage directions?
2. Which character says, "I have an intense desire to turn to the end of the chapter and see how it all comes out?"
3. What does August say his father did to Delia?
4. Who is mentioned by Delia that wrote a book about the eye and vision?
5. Who is revealed to be having an affair with Cynthia near the end of Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is suspiciously holding the flashlight in the blackout at the end of Act 1? Why?
2. How does the word "excavation" relate literally and figuratively in the play? What is being excavated in both senses of the word?
3. What does Delia compare her book to? Why?
4. How does Dan react to Delia's comment in Act 2 that everyone vanishes "without a trace?"
5. What is the climax of the play? Where does this occur?
6. Early in Act 1, Kirsten hears a noise in the night. What does she hear and who comes to comfort her?
7. Who arrives drunk after fishing near the end of Act 1? What is the relationship of these two characters?
8. Who references a Chinese puzzle box in the play? What does this metaphor relate to?
9. What does the discovery of the God-king mean to August? Why?
10. Describe the relationship between Jean and Chad. Why does he show her the model in Act 1?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)