|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does August say that they were racing against early in Act 1?
(a) An interstate being built.
(b) The lease ending.
(c) The construction of a dam.
(d) Being shut down by preservationists.
2. Where does Jean develop an interest in medicine?
(a) In school.
(b) At a camp.
(c) A mental institution.
(d) From her grandmother.
3. How does Dan say is the only way to feel completely safe on the sidewalks of New York?
(a) Completely drunk.
(b) In daylight.
(c) With a weapon.
4. From where are the students selected to assist the dig?
(a) Dr. Loggin's class in field archeology.
(b) The Dean's office at the University.
(c) August Howe's class.
(d) The townspeople.
5. Who carries Delia into the house in Act 1?
(b) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Kirsten related to Cynthia?
2. Who tells Delia that the book is a success and "she was a failure?"
3. Which character does August say is coming to stay with them unexpectedly?
4. How many students are there to assist on the dig?
5. What is the name of the person to whom August speaks in the tape recorder?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Mound Builders is unique in its depiction of time. Explain the two different periods of time which are illustrated in the play and how this differentiation is made clear to the audience (and reader).
2. Explain the relationship of Dan and Jean. How are they related and how long have they known each other?
3. Who is Professor August Howe? How old is he? What is his profession?
4. What is the overall theme of The Mound Builders? How is this theme portrayed?
5. Who wrote the poem that Dan recites in Act 1? What significance is the poem to the play?
6. Who is suspiciously holding the flashlight in the blackout at the end of Act 1? Why?
7. What fact about Jean's character does Dan ask that August not reveal to the others early in the play? Why?
8. Who's character studied books written by Delia in college? How did he/she feel about those books?
9. Dan says early in the play that there are many reasons for building mounds in ancient societies. What are some of these?
10. Early in Act 1, Kirsten hears a noise in the night. What does she hear and who comes to comfort her?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)