|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dan ask August not to reveal to the others in early Act 1?
(a) That he is leaving.
(b) That he has married Jean.
(c) That Jean is pregnant.
(d) That Jean is sick.
2. What do Jean and Dan argue over in Act 1?
(a) Her decision to leave work.
(b) His neglect of her.
(c) Her refusing to smoke the joint.
(d) Her refusing a glass of wine.
3. In Act 1, what does Chad say almost prevented the house from being livable?
(a) The dam.
(c) A fire.
4. Who does Dan say build burial mounds?
(a) Hunters and gatherers.
(d) The Aztecs.
5. What upsets Delia after the completion of her novel?
(a) She thought it was awful.
(b) She believed her publisher wouldn't buy it.
(c) She had lied while writing it.
(d) She thought the transcriber hadn't liked it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the airport August is going to in Act 1?
2. In what month does the play begin?
3. What does August say that they were racing against early in Act 1?
4. What is the name that August refers to the site as?
5. What does Cynthia say the posts were used for in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Delia lock herself in her apartment after completing her book? Who found her?
2. Describe Lanford Wilson's use of narrative in The Mound Builders. In what ways does he choose to reveal the exposition of the play?
3. In the opening of the play, August speaks into a tape recorder. To whom is he speaking and why?
4. How did Jean's experience as a spelling bee champion lead to her current career path? Was this a direct or indirect route?
5. Who is the character named Chad? How does he relate to the other characters in the play? What is his position in relation to the house and the excavation site?
6. What topic do the characters Delia and Dan bond over late in Act 1? How do their stories connect?
7. How does Jean feel about Chad's advances in Act 2? What does August say regarding Chad?
8. Describe the term which refers to the use of projections in the play. What effect does this theatrical device serve?
9. What does the rain represent in Act 2?
10. What does Delia feel is the greatest sin? Why?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)