|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cynthia say the posts were used for in Act 1?
2. How does Delia describe her father's office?
3. Jean asks Delia in Act 1 Part 5 if she happens to have what?
(a) A globe.
(b) A mirror.
(c) A shovel.
(d) A tarot deck.
4. What is the setting at the very beginning of Act 1?
(a) The kitchen of August's home.
(b) The university.
(c) August's study.
(d) The site of the dig.
5. What do Dan's notes state the two mounds in a village were for?
(a) The God-King and the Temple.
(b) The Shaman and the Villagers.
(c) The Temple and the Graveyard.
(d) The God-King and the Shaman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the lights begin to reveal at the end of Act 1 Part 1?
2. What does Delia say in Act 1 that she is frantically beating the bushes for?
3. What does Delia claim they were doing to her at the hospital?
4. Which character is raised and taught by his/her grandmother?
5. What are the directions that August gives Dianne regarding his recording?
Short Essay Questions
1. What topic do the characters Delia and Dan bond over late in Act 1? How do their stories connect?
2. What does August say blinds a man "to the passing moon?" What does he mean?
3. Describe Lanford Wilson's use of narrative in The Mound Builders. In what ways does he choose to reveal the exposition of the play?
4. Who wrote the poem that Dan recites in Act 1? What significance is the poem to the play?
5. What fact about Jean's character does Dan ask that August not reveal to the others early in the play? Why?
6. Is the mask that was discovered made of gold? Why does August state that it is?
7. How does the word "excavation" relate literally and figuratively in the play? What is being excavated in both senses of the word?
8. Which character says, "Great blinders is believing in and she's a great believer in blinders?" What does this mean?
9. What does the discovery in Act 2 Part 1 lead Dan to theorize about this ancient culture?
10. Who references a Chinese puzzle box in the play? What does this metaphor relate to?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)