|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Delia claim they were doing to her at the hospital?
(a) Making her well.
(b) Trying to kill her.
(c) Locking her away.
(d) Stealing her things.
2. What is the name of the person to whom August speaks in the tape recorder?
3. Who is the author of the Aztec poem that is recited in Act 1?
(a) The shaman it was buried by.
(c) A God-King.
(d) It is unknown.
4. What does Delia claim was the model for Camus' The Plague?
(a) New Zealand.
(d) New York.
5. What does Delia believe about the human eye from looking at charts as a child?
(a) That it could see through things.
(b) That it could tell the future.
(c) That it absorbed rays of light.
(d) That it emitted rays of light.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says, "Jesus, dear God, but it's bleak here."
2. What is shown on the slide that August states is out of place in Act 1 Part 4?
3. What is the term that defines Landford Wilson's use of a projector in The Mound Builders?
4. What is Delia's last name?
5. How old is Professor August Howe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the name of the ancient civilization that is being excavated in the play? What are some of the key characteristics of that society that are mentioned in the play?
2. Explain the relationship of Dan and Jean. How are they related and how long have they known each other?
3. How does Dan react to Delia's comment in Act 2 that everyone vanishes "without a trace?"
4. How does the word "excavation" relate literally and figuratively in the play? What is being excavated in both senses of the word?
5. What does August suggest to Cynthia regarding Delia in Act 1? Who else has dealt with Delia in this way?
6. Compare the characters of August and Chad. How are they alike? How are they different?
7. Which character was created by Lanford Wilson for the actor Tanya Berezin? Why?
8. Where is Dan at the end of The Mound Builders? What is the reaction of the others to this?
9. Who do we discover is having an affair in Act 1? Who else knows about the affair?
10. What is implied by August's description of Cynthia as "an ex-relation by marriage?" What literary term would this comment be considered?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)