|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the airport August is going to in Act 1?
(a) Blue Shoals.
(d) Mountain Springs.
2. Who comes to comfort Kirsten at the end of Act 1 Part 2?
3. Jean asks Delia, "Where does it hurt, D.K.?" What is Delia's reply?
(a) It doesn't.
(b) My liver.
(c) It hurts everywhere.
(d) Doctor, it's a pain in the ass.
4. How old is Dr. Jean Loggins?
5. What does Dan complain about at the dig site in Act 1?
(a) His wife getting in the way.
(b) Townspeople crowding around.
(c) The lack of assistance.
(d) The ignorance of August.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jean say the people on the dig want to fit into a particular pattern, although they know nothing about?
2. What is the name that August refers to the site as?
3. Who tells Delia that the book is a success and "she was a failure?"
4. Where does Jean develop an interest in medicine?
5. Which character does August say is coming to stay with them unexpectedly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Early in Act 1, Kirsten hears a noise in the night. What does she hear and who comes to comfort her?
2. Is the mask that was discovered made of gold? Why does August state that it is?
3. The Mound Builders is unique in its depiction of time. Explain the two different periods of time which are illustrated in the play and how this differentiation is made clear to the audience (and reader).
4. What does Delia feel is the greatest sin? Why?
5. Who arrives drunk after fishing near the end of Act 1? What is the relationship of these two characters?
6. How does the word "excavation" relate literally and figuratively in the play? What is being excavated in both senses of the word?
7. What does the discovery of the God-king mean to August? Why?
8. What takes place in the falling action of The Mound Builders?
9. What has been discovered in Act 2 Part 1? Who tells about this discovery? What is the reaction?
10. What is the outcome of "Legacy" to August at the end of the play? How does this make him a Tragic Hero?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)