|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dan suggest Delia write a book and title it?
(a) The Dying of Blue Shoals.
(b) The Last of the Mohicans.
(c) The Last of the Mound Builders.
(d) The Jaskerville Extinction.
2. The grave of the god-king represents what to August?
(a) The end of the lake construction.
(b) His greatest disappointment.
(c) The beginning of a new life.
(d) The most important find in 40-years' work.
3. August refers to the dig as what in Act 2 Part 3?
(a) A salvage operation in which we salvaged nothing.
(b) The greatest acheivement of his life.
(c) A miserable failure.
(d) The curse that cost him his marriage.
4. What does August say to Delia at the end of Act 2 Part 4, as a means of lashing out at her?
(a) That their father never cared about her writing.
(b) That she was adopted.
(c) That he wished she were dead.
(d) That he always hated her.
5. What was the bone awl that August displays made from?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A turkey.
(c) A coyote.
(d) A wolf.
6. In Act 2 Part 3, what does August claim is taken up "to blind him to the passing moon?"
(a) A wife.
(d) A man's life work.
7. What does Dan put on that makes Jean upset in Act 2?
(a) The copper beads.
(b) A silver ring.
(c) A feather headdress.
(d) The death mask.
8. What has happened to Chad's Oldsmobile in Act 2 Part 4?
(a) He wrecked it.
(b) He painted it.
(c) It was stolen.
(d) He sold it.
9. When does August say Delia left the house she grew up in?
(a) When she was 7.
(b) When she was 9.
(c) When she was 17.
(d) When she was 12.
10. Who reveals that the interstate won't be built to Chad?
11. What does August say about the lake in the beginning of Act 2 Part 2?
(a) It would not be built.
(b) It had flooded the dig site.
(c) It kept rising every day.
(d) It was a curse.
12. Why is Delia wearing "real clothes" the morning of Act 2 Part 5?
(a) She is going to visit the dig site.
(b) She is having a party.
(c) She is well.
(d) She plans on leaving today.
13. What class, or caste of people could marry anyone within the ancient caste system?
(a) The Honored Men.
(b) The Suns.
(c) The Stinkards.
(d) The Chiefs.
14. What does August say to the recorder in Act 2 Part 3 is "becoming an enemy to thought?"
15. What does Delia ask Jean to do at the very end of Act 1?
(a) To turn off the lights.
(b) To make her a drink.
(c) To close the door.
(d) To leave her alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary term defines August's statement of blindness to the passing moon?
2. What is the top caste that Dan and August speak of for the ancient people?
3. Which character says, "I wouldn't be a man. Not and carry all the dumbfounding load they've saddled themselves with?"
4. Who comes to the house looking for Dan in Act 3 Part 5?
5. August encounters a slide of himself in Act 2 Part 3. Where is he in the photograph?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)