|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 1, what does Chad say almost prevented the house from being livable?
(a) A fire.
(c) The dam.
2. What did Delia's ex-husband's sell?
(a) Dental equipment.
(c) Drilling equipment.
(d) Men's ties.
3. Jean asks Delia, "Where does it hurt, D.K.?" What is Delia's reply?
(a) It doesn't.
(b) It hurts everywhere.
(c) Doctor, it's a pain in the ass.
(d) My liver.
4. Why is Jean taking time away from work?
(a) To be with Dan on the dig.
(b) To have a baby.
(c) To get married.
(d) To return to school.
5. What does Delia say in Act 1 that she is frantically beating the bushes for?
(a) Her sight.
(c) The truth.
(d) Something to believe in.
6. Jean asks Chad if he will move the house when the lake comes in. What is his response?
(b) He has already sold it.
(c) They will build a new one.
(d) It isn't worth the cost.
7. Which character does August say is coming to stay with them unexpectedly?
8. What does Cynthia say the posts were used for in Act 1?
9. Why does Dan rattle on during his conversation with Delia in the middle of the night in Act 1 Part 6?
(a) He is nervous.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) He is distracted by his wife's affair.
(d) He is stoned.
10. How does Delia describe the temporary secretary she hired to transcribe her book?
(a) Very neat, sweet, meek.
(b) Haughty and proud.
(c) An idiot.
(d) Demure and prudish.
11. From where are the students selected to assist the dig?
(a) The townspeople.
(b) August Howe's class.
(c) The Dean's office at the University.
(d) Dr. Loggin's class in field archeology.
12. What upsets Delia after the completion of her novel?
(a) She believed her publisher wouldn't buy it.
(b) She thought it was awful.
(c) She had lied while writing it.
(d) She thought the transcriber hadn't liked it.
13. How many summers did August say that they had previously spent excavating at the site in Act 1?
14. What does August say that they were racing against early in Act 1?
(a) Being shut down by preservationists.
(b) The lease ending.
(c) An interstate being built.
(d) The construction of a dam.
15. What does August say his father did to Delia?
(a) Laughed at her.
(b) Abandoned her.
(c) Worshiped her.
(d) Abused her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Delia believe about the human eye from looking at charts as a child?
2. Who carries Delia into the house in Act 1?
3. Who does Dan say build burial mounds?
4. Jean suggests to Delia in Act 1 Part 5 that what is different about the excavation this year versus the previous one?
5. What does Chad have a model of in Act 1?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)