|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the soldiers come to the peasants' farmhouse late at night?
2. Why does the commander die?
3. What does Mother Courage promise to Kattrin when there is peace?
4. Why does the chaplain hesitate to put on his pastor's coat?
5. Where is the peseants' ladder to get to the roof?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brutality is viewed differently in war and peace. Choose from one of the three topics and discuss Brecht's attitude and the war's attitude towards brutality:
Topic 1) Brutality and Youth.
Topic 2) Brutality and Courage.
Topic 3) Brutality and Impulse.
Essay Topic 2
What do characters' convictions mean to them? What do they hold for the fate of others? What constitutes change for characters? What does it hold for the fate of the play?
Essay Topic 3
The character of the chaplain is one that goes through the most dramatic metamorphosis. His role as a religious representative and overturning it is a powerful statement about religion on Brecht's part. What is this statement?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)