|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't they ring bells for the commander's funeral?
2. What does the cook call the chaplain when they fight over Mother Courage?
3. When Mother Courage returns to the farmhouse, who is standing around Mother Courage and Kattrin's body?
4. How does the cook's mother die?
5. What unlikely thing does the chaplain claim one can find in war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brutality is viewed differently in war and peace. Choose from one of the three topics and discuss Brecht's attitude and the war's attitude towards brutality:
Topic 1) Brutality and Youth.
Topic 2) Brutality and Courage.
Topic 3) Brutality and Impulse.
Essay Topic 2
"Mother Courage" is full of dark humor and irony. Discuss Brecht's use of these tools in the play. Where does it appear? What affect does it have on the plot and other characters? Is it used effectively?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what characterizes and defines the climax and denouement of "Mother Courage".
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)