|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mother Courage leave the farmhouse at the end of the play?
2. Why doesn't Mother Courage want bed feathers?
3. Why does Mother Courage feel it's unfortunate that the commander died?
4. What does the voice from the house offer to the cook?
5. Where is the peseants' ladder to get to the roof?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War is the context, driving force, and most prominent character in "Mother Courage and Her Children".
Part 1) Who is "War", the character?
Part 2) What is Brecht's statement about "War"?
Essay Topic 2
Conversations about courage, cowardice, and bravery arise throughout the play. Discuss characters and the play's evolving relationship with these three themes.
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice makes and breaks the fates of characters in "Mother Courage". Discuss selfishness, sacrifice, and martyrdom in the play: the foreshadowing and repercussions.
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)