|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the cook refer to Mother Courage when the chaplain insults her?
2. Why can't the soldiers chop more wood?
3. What does the cook call the chaplain when they fight over Mother Courage?
4. What does Mother Courage sing to Kattrin's body?
5. Why can't the peasants go to town the night the soldiers come to their farmhouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Mother Courage" is full of dark humor and irony. Discuss Brecht's use of these tools in the play. Where does it appear? What affect does it have on the plot and other characters? Is it used effectively?
Essay Topic 2
What do characters' convictions mean to them? What do they hold for the fate of others? What constitutes change for characters? What does it hold for the fate of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Brutality is viewed differently in war and peace. Choose from one of the three topics and discuss Brecht's attitude and the war's attitude towards brutality:
Topic 1) Brutality and Youth.
Topic 2) Brutality and Courage.
Topic 3) Brutality and Impulse.
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)