|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who passes by the farmhouse and Mother Courage follows and exits for the last time?
2. Why is Mother Courage encouraged to leave the farmhouse quickly and not stay with Kattrin's body?
3. How does Mother Courage feel about moving on?
4. Why will it be easier for Kattrin to find a husband at the inn?
5. Why has the cook come back to Mother Courage when peace is declared?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Brecht's use of compassion and depravity side-by-side in "Mother Courage".
Essay Topic 2
Kattrin is mute and must express herself through mime. A play, however, is centered on dialogue.
Part 1) How is having a silent character a powerful statement in a drama?
Part 2) How is Kattrin a tool in Brecht's portrayal of war?
Part 3) What is invaluable about Kattrin's condition?
Part 4) Who is most impacted by her? Who does she better define?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice makes and breaks the fates of characters in "Mother Courage". Discuss selfishness, sacrifice, and martyrdom in the play: the foreshadowing and repercussions.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)