|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Mother Courage want bed feathers?
2. How does the cook propose that he and Mother Courage call to the parson?
3. How does Mother Courage feel about moving on?
4. What prayer do the peasants pray when the soldiers are threatening them in their farmhouse?
5. How long ago had the war stopped when Mother Courage's group is informed that peace is declared?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the pivotal scene of false peace in "Mother Courage", both Kattrin and Yvette come out of the war 'deformed' in some way. Discuss characters' deformities and demises in conjuncture with their personalities.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Brecht's use of compassion and depravity side-by-side in "Mother Courage".
Essay Topic 3
There can be a fine line between lie and delusion in "Mother Courage".
Part 1: What are characters' relationships with lying and deceit?
Part 2: What are characters' relationships with delusions?
Part 3: What are the cause and effect relationships between these two? What connects them? What is Brecht's purpose in this?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)