|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the cook angry with the chaplain when he returns?
2. What song does the cook sing to the parson?
3. How do the soldiers silence Kattrin?
4. In Scene 10, Mother Courage and Kattrin stop at a ______ to listen to a woman sing.
5. Why can't the peasants go to town the night the soldiers come to their farmhouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the dynamic of men vs. women and family versus solitude in "Mother Courage".
Essay Topic 2
War is the context, driving force, and most prominent character in "Mother Courage and Her Children".
Part 1) Who is "War", the character?
Part 2) What is Brecht's statement about "War"?
Essay Topic 3
There can be a fine line between lie and delusion in "Mother Courage".
Part 1: What are characters' relationships with lying and deceit?
Part 2: What are characters' relationships with delusions?
Part 3: What are the cause and effect relationships between these two? What connects them? What is Brecht's purpose in this?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)