|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A soldier tells Kattrin if she comes down from the roof and takes them to her mother, they will ______________.
2. What does Mother Courage promise to Kattrin when there is peace?
3. Instead of being dead, Mother Courage insists that Kattrin is ______.
4. Why can't the peasants go to town the night the soldiers come to their farmhouse?
5. What are men doing instead of going to the commander's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War is the context, driving force, and most prominent character in "Mother Courage and Her Children".
Part 1) Who is "War", the character?
Part 2) What is Brecht's statement about "War"?
Essay Topic 2
The lives and deaths of characters and the fate of relationships are frequently affected by their dependency on money or success. Discuss Brecht's commentary on humanity and war based on his use of money in "Mother Courage".
Essay Topic 3
In the first scene, Mother Courage prophesies the fates of her children. Mother Courage is also blind to much of reality through the play. Discuss Mother Courage's "prophetic" perception of the world, how she views herself, and how others view her.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)