|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are men doing instead of going to the commander's funeral?
2. Instead of going with the cook to the inn, what does Mother Courage do at the end of Scene 9?
3. Why won't they ring bells for the commander's funeral?
4. What does Mother Courage sing to Kattrin's body?
5. Why should the cook talk quietly when he is talking to Mother Courage about the inn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do characters' convictions mean to them? What do they hold for the fate of others? What constitutes change for characters? What does it hold for the fate of the play?
Essay Topic 2
In three parts, discuss the relevance of each of Mother Courage's children: what they represent about war, youth, and themes of "Mother Courage" discussed in class.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss "humanity" in "Mother Courage".
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)