|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A soldier tells Kattrin if she comes down from the roof and takes them to her mother, they will ______________.
2. What does the cook call the chaplain when they fight over Mother Courage?
3. Why won't the clerk go to the commander's funeral?
4. Why will it be easier for Kattrin to find a husband at the inn?
5. Where have we heard the song the soldiers sing at the very end of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice makes and breaks the fates of characters in "Mother Courage". Discuss selfishness, sacrifice, and martyrdom in the play: the foreshadowing and repercussions.
Essay Topic 2
The lives and deaths of characters and the fate of relationships are frequently affected by their dependency on money or success. Discuss Brecht's commentary on humanity and war based on his use of money in "Mother Courage".
Essay Topic 3
In the pivotal scene of false peace in "Mother Courage", both Kattrin and Yvette come out of the war 'deformed' in some way. Discuss characters' deformities and demises in conjuncture with their personalities.
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)