|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't the soldiers chop more wood?
2. Mother Courage claims that Kattrin would still be alive if the peasants hadn't told her about _______.
3. What does Mother Courage sing to Kattrin's body?
4. What does it mean that there are no lights on in the parson's house?
5. Instead of going with the cook to the inn, what does Mother Courage do at the end of Scene 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the dynamic of men vs. women and family versus solitude in "Mother Courage".
Essay Topic 2
"Mother Courage" is full of dark humor and irony. Discuss Brecht's use of these tools in the play. Where does it appear? What affect does it have on the plot and other characters? Is it used effectively?
Essay Topic 3
The character of the chaplain is one that goes through the most dramatic metamorphosis. His role as a religious representative and overturning it is a powerful statement about religion on Brecht's part. What is this statement?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)