|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Eilif being killed?
2. In her dreams, where does Mother Courage see herself pulling her cart?
3. Why is the cook angry with the chaplain when he returns?
4. Why should the cook talk quietly when he is talking to Mother Courage about the inn?
5. What is Mother Courage finally tired of after traveling with the army for so long?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brutality is viewed differently in war and peace. Choose from one of the three topics and discuss Brecht's attitude and the war's attitude towards brutality:
Topic 1) Brutality and Youth.
Topic 2) Brutality and Courage.
Topic 3) Brutality and Impulse.
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice makes and breaks the fates of characters in "Mother Courage". Discuss selfishness, sacrifice, and martyrdom in the play: the foreshadowing and repercussions.
Essay Topic 3
Kattrin is mute and must express herself through mime. A play, however, is centered on dialogue.
Part 1) How is having a silent character a powerful statement in a drama?
Part 2) How is Kattrin a tool in Brecht's portrayal of war?
Part 3) What is invaluable about Kattrin's condition?
Part 4) Who is most impacted by her? Who does she better define?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)