|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the background noise at the beginning of Scene 12?
2. Where is the peseants' ladder to get to the roof?
3. A peasant claims Kattrin would still be alive if ____________.
4. Mother Courage says that she still has _______, which gives her hope to carry on.
5. How does Mother Courage feel about moving on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brutality is viewed differently in war and peace. Choose from one of the three topics and discuss Brecht's attitude and the war's attitude towards brutality:
Topic 1) Brutality and Youth.
Topic 2) Brutality and Courage.
Topic 3) Brutality and Impulse.
Essay Topic 2
In the first scene, Mother Courage prophesies the fates of her children. Mother Courage is also blind to much of reality through the play. Discuss Mother Courage's "prophetic" perception of the world, how she views herself, and how others view her.
Essay Topic 3
Conversations about courage, cowardice, and bravery arise throughout the play. Discuss characters and the play's evolving relationship with these three themes.
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)