|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the inn the cook inherited?
2. What does Mother Courage sing to Kattrin's body?
3. What is Mother Courage's last line?
4. What are men doing instead of going to the commander's funeral?
5. Why is Eilif being killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first scene, Mother Courage prophesies the fates of her children. Mother Courage is also blind to much of reality through the play. Discuss Mother Courage's "prophetic" perception of the world, how she views herself, and how others view her.
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice makes and breaks the fates of characters in "Mother Courage". Discuss selfishness, sacrifice, and martyrdom in the play: the foreshadowing and repercussions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what characterizes and defines the climax and denouement of "Mother Courage".
This section contains 171 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)