|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mother Courage says it's _______ everyone is missing the commander's funeral.
2. Why does Mother Courage feel it's unfortunate that the commander died?
3. How does the cook refer to Mother Courage when the chaplain insults her?
4. When Mother Courage returns to the farmhouse, who is standing around Mother Courage and Kattrin's body?
5. In Scene 10, Mother Courage and Kattrin stop at a ______ to listen to a woman sing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the pivotal scene of false peace in "Mother Courage", both Kattrin and Yvette come out of the war 'deformed' in some way. Discuss characters' deformities and demises in conjuncture with their personalities.
Essay Topic 2
There can be a fine line between lie and delusion in "Mother Courage".
Part 1: What are characters' relationships with lying and deceit?
Part 2: What are characters' relationships with delusions?
Part 3: What are the cause and effect relationships between these two? What connects them? What is Brecht's purpose in this?
Essay Topic 3
The character of the chaplain is one that goes through the most dramatic metamorphosis. His role as a religious representative and overturning it is a powerful statement about religion on Brecht's part. What is this statement?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)