|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the background noise at the beginning of Scene 12?
2. How do the soldiers silence Kattrin?
3. Why can't the peasants go to town the night the soldiers come to their farmhouse?
4. What does the chaplain call the cook?
5. What is Mother Courage's last line?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "humanity" in "Mother Courage".
Essay Topic 2
Conversations about courage, cowardice, and bravery arise throughout the play. Discuss characters and the play's evolving relationship with these three themes.
Essay Topic 3
"Mother Courage" is full of dark humor and irony. Discuss Brecht's use of these tools in the play. Where does it appear? What affect does it have on the plot and other characters? Is it used effectively?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)