|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the cook refer to Mother Courage when the chaplain insults her?
2. Why doesn't the peasant want the soldiers to kill their cattle?
3. What does Mother Courage not know at the end of the play?
4. What is Mother Courage finally tired of after traveling with the army for so long?
5. Why can't the soldiers chop more wood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kattrin is mute and must express herself through mime. A play, however, is centered on dialogue.
Part 1) How is having a silent character a powerful statement in a drama?
Part 2) How is Kattrin a tool in Brecht's portrayal of war?
Part 3) What is invaluable about Kattrin's condition?
Part 4) Who is most impacted by her? Who does she better define?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice makes and breaks the fates of characters in "Mother Courage". Discuss selfishness, sacrifice, and martyrdom in the play: the foreshadowing and repercussions.
Essay Topic 3
In the first scene, Mother Courage prophesies the fates of her children. Mother Courage is also blind to much of reality through the play. Discuss Mother Courage's "prophetic" perception of the world, how she views herself, and how others view her.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)