|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mother Courage finally tired of after traveling with the army for so long?
2. What does the cook try to exchange for dinner?
3. Why will it be easier for Kattrin to find a husband at the inn?
4. Instead of going with the cook to the inn, what does Mother Courage do at the end of Scene 9?
5. Why hasn't the watchman sounded the alarm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Mother Courage" is full of dark humor and irony. Discuss Brecht's use of these tools in the play. Where does it appear? What affect does it have on the plot and other characters? Is it used effectively?
Essay Topic 2
In three parts, discuss the relevance of each of Mother Courage's children: what they represent about war, youth, and themes of "Mother Courage" discussed in class.
Essay Topic 3
What do characters' convictions mean to them? What do they hold for the fate of others? What constitutes change for characters? What does it hold for the fate of the play?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)