|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Mother Courage want bed feathers?
2. What song does the cook sing to the parson?
3. In Scene 10, Mother Courage and Kattrin stop at a ______ to listen to a woman sing.
4. Instead of going with the cook to the inn, what does Mother Courage do at the end of Scene 9?
5. Why doesn't Mother Courage want peace?
Essay Topic 1
"Mother Courage" is full of dark humor and irony. Discuss Brecht's use of these tools in the play. Where does it appear? What affect does it have on the plot and other characters? Is it used effectively?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "Mother Courage" characters use song to express themselves and Brecht uses them to flesh out moments. What is the purpose and effect of the musical quality of the play?
Essay Topic 3
In the first scene, Mother Courage prophesies the fates of her children. Mother Courage is also blind to much of reality through the play. Discuss Mother Courage's "prophetic" perception of the world, how she views herself, and how others view her.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)