|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mother Courage insist on going to church when peace is declared?
2. Why does the commander die?
3. The peasant woman calls Kattrin a ______ when she tells her to stop drumming.
4. Why does Mother Courage leave the farmhouse at the end of the play?
5. A soldier tells Kattrin if she comes down from the roof and takes them to her mother, they will ______________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The lives and deaths of characters and the fate of relationships are frequently affected by their dependency on money or success. Discuss Brecht's commentary on humanity and war based on his use of money in "Mother Courage".
Essay Topic 2
What do characters' convictions mean to them? What do they hold for the fate of others? What constitutes change for characters? What does it hold for the fate of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dynamic of men vs. women and family versus solitude in "Mother Courage".
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)