|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the young soldier angry at by the end of Scene 4?
2. Why doesn't Mother Courage have any bandages to help the peasants with?
3. What regiment is Mother Courage's family from?
4. What does Mother Courage rub on Kattrin's face to hide her beauty?
5. Why does Mother Courage draw a black cross for "death"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does the chaplain see a difference between war and peace?
2. Why won't Swiss Cheese run off with the regiment's pay box?
3. Why does "Mother Courage" end with Mother Courage pulling her cart and singing?
4. In Scene 6, how does the chaplain begin to see Mother Courage?
5. How brave is Kattrin?
6. In Mother Courage's opinion, why is being seated not revolting?
7. Why does Kattrin run out to the peasant's house in Scene 5?
8. Does Mother Courage's false hope give her strength to carry on?
9. Why does Yvette drink in the morning?
10. What is the debate over the legitimacy of the villagers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conversations about courage, cowardice, and bravery arise throughout the play. Discuss characters and the play's evolving relationship with these three themes.
Essay Topic 2
Kattrin is mute and must express herself through mime. A play, however, is centered on dialogue.
Part 1) How is having a silent character a powerful statement in a drama?
Part 2) How is Kattrin a tool in Brecht's portrayal of war?
Part 3) What is invaluable about Kattrin's condition?
Part 4) Who is most impacted by her? Who does she better define?
Essay Topic 3
"Mother Courage" is full of dark humor and irony. Discuss Brecht's use of these tools in the play. Where does it appear? What affect does it have on the plot and other characters? Is it used effectively?
This section contains 1,397 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)