|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't the peasants stay out of the line of fire when the Catholic soldiers attack their farm?
2. Mother Courage is afraid they will make Kattrin a ____ if the soldiers see her in Yvette's clothes.
3. Why does Yvette sing "The Fraternization Song"?
4. When Eilif wants to join the army, Mother Courage tells him he's never happy until he's _______.
5. What is the first soldier wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why won't they ring the church bells for the commander's funeral?
2. Why does Mother Courage sing a lullaby to Kattrin?
3. Why won't Swiss Cheese run off with the regiment's pay box?
4. Does Mother Courage seem more human in Scene 8?
5. Why is Mother Courage so protective of her soldiers' shirts?
6. Does the cook give an ultimatum to the parson to convince him to give them soup?
7. In "Mother Courage" is it possible to gain without losing?
8. Why is Mother Courage frantic to dress Kattrin more modestly and smear ashes on her face?
9. Why does the cook want Mother Courage to come to Utrecht with him?
10. What is making the recruiting officer lose his confidence in mankind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conversations about courage, cowardice, and bravery arise throughout the play. Discuss characters and the play's evolving relationship with these three themes.
Essay Topic 2
Motherhood is one of the defining traits of Mother Courage's character. How does "motherhood" function in "Mother Courage and Her Children"?
Essay Topic 3
In three parts, discuss the relevance of each of Mother Courage's children: what they represent about war, youth, and themes of "Mother Courage" discussed in class.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)