|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kattrin retrieve from the peasants' house?
2. Who is saying Yvette is sick?
3. Why does the young soldier think he deserves money?
4. When Kattrin puts on Yvette's clothes, what about Yvette does she imitate?
5. What does Mother Courage live off of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mother Courage calm the young soldier?
2. How does Mother Courage feel about her daughter, Kattrin?
3. What is Mother Courage's advice to the young soldier about anger and injustice?
4. How brave is Kattrin?
5. Why won't they ring the church bells for the commander's funeral?
6. Is Mother Courage angry with Eilif for taking the oxen from the peasants?
7. What issue does the sergeant have with peace?
8. Why does Kattrin refuse to come out of the wagon through Scene 8?
9. Why is the young soldier outraged?
10. In "Mother Courage" is it possible to gain without losing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of the chaplain is one that goes through the most dramatic metamorphosis. His role as a religious representative and overturning it is a powerful statement about religion on Brecht's part. What is this statement?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "Mother Courage" characters use song to express themselves and Brecht uses them to flesh out moments. What is the purpose and effect of the musical quality of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what characterizes and defines the climax and denouement of "Mother Courage".
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)