|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kattrin retrieve from the peasants' house?
2. What religion are the peasants?
3. What does Mother Courage decide to do at the end of the scene?
4. Swiss Cheese takes after a _____ man.
5. What effect has Mother Courage had on the young soldier by the end of the scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yvette drink in the morning?
2. In "Mother Courage" is it possible to gain without losing?
3. Does Mother Courage's false hope give her strength to carry on?
4. What do the sergeant and recruiting officer think the benefit of war is?
5. What compels Kattrin to climb to the roof?
6. Why won't Swiss Cheese run off with the regiment's pay box?
7. What is the cook's grievance with the chaplain?
8. How does Mother Courage feel about her daughter, Kattrin?
9. Will the war end now that the commander is dead?
10. What is Mother Courage's advice to the young soldier about anger and injustice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There can be a fine line between lie and delusion in "Mother Courage".
Part 1: What are characters' relationships with lying and deceit?
Part 2: What are characters' relationships with delusions?
Part 3: What are the cause and effect relationships between these two? What connects them? What is Brecht's purpose in this?
Essay Topic 2
In three parts, discuss the relevance of each of Mother Courage's children: what they represent about war, youth, and themes of "Mother Courage" discussed in class.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Brecht's use of compassion and depravity side-by-side in "Mother Courage".
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)