Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mother Courage tells Kattrin that ____ is a gift from God.
2. What does the sergeant claim is hypocritical of Mother Courage?
3. What regiment is Mother Courage's family from?
4. Why is the young soldier complaining to the captain?
5. In Eilif's story, what does he do when the peasants have him cornered?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does "Mother Courage" end with Mother Courage pulling her cart and singing?
2. Why is Mother Courage frantic to dress Kattrin more modestly and smear ashes on her face?
3. Why is Eilif a hero in the commander's eyes?
4. Has Mother Courage learned anything by the end of the play?
5. In Mother Courage's opinion, why is being seated not revolting?
6. Is Mother Courage angry with Eilif for taking the oxen from the peasants?
7. Why does the soldier threaten to kill the cattle instead of the peasants?
8. Has Yvette benefited from the war?
9. Why does Mother Courage sing "The Song of Great Capitulation" to calm the young soldier?
10. Why does Mother Courage continue to talk with the sergeant and recruiting officer even though they are trying to recruit her sons into the army?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "humanity" in "Mother Courage".
Essay Topic 2
In three parts, discuss the relevance of each of Mother Courage's children: what they represent about war, youth, and themes of "Mother Courage" discussed in class.
Essay Topic 3
The lives and deaths of characters and the fate of relationships are frequently affected by their dependency on money or success. Discuss Brecht's commentary on humanity and war based on his use of money in "Mother Courage".
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)