|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mother Courage tells Kattrin that ____ is a gift from God.
2. What does the sergeant claim is hypocritical of Mother Courage?
3. What regiment is Mother Courage's family from?
4. Why is the young soldier complaining to the captain?
5. In Eilif's story, what does he do when the peasants have him cornered?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does "Mother Courage" end with Mother Courage pulling her cart and singing?
2. Why is Mother Courage frantic to dress Kattrin more modestly and smear ashes on her face?
3. Why is Eilif a hero in the commander's eyes?
4. Has Mother Courage learned anything by the end of the play?
5. In Mother Courage's opinion, why is being seated not revolting?
6. Is Mother Courage angry with Eilif for taking the oxen from the peasants?
7. Why does the soldier threaten to kill the cattle instead of the peasants?
8. Has Yvette benefited from the war?
9. Why does Mother Courage sing "The Song of Great Capitulation" to calm the young soldier?
10. Why does Mother Courage continue to talk with the sergeant and recruiting officer even though they are trying to recruit her sons into the army?
Essay Topic 1
Kattrin is mute and must express herself through mime. A play, however, is centered on dialogue.
Part 1) How is having a silent character a powerful statement in a drama?
Part 2) How is Kattrin a tool in Brecht's portrayal of war?
Part 3) What is invaluable about Kattrin's condition?
Part 4) Who is most impacted by her? Who does she better define?
Essay Topic 2
"Mother Courage" is full of dark humor and irony. Discuss Brecht's use of these tools in the play. Where does it appear? What affect does it have on the plot and other characters? Is it used effectively?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout "Mother Courage" characters use song to express themselves and Brecht uses them to flesh out moments. What is the purpose and effect of the musical quality of the play?
This section contains 1,364 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)