|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mother Courage take from the soldier as payment?
2. Why shouldn't Kattrin run in to the peasants' house?
3. What is Mother Courage's advice to Kattrin about soldiers?
4. What does Kattrin retrieve from the peasants' house?
5. Why does the first soldier want brandy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why won't Swiss Cheese run off with the regiment's pay box?
2. What issue does the sergeant have with peace?
3. What do the sergeant and recruiting officer think the benefit of war is?
4. Why does Kattrin refuse to come out of the wagon through Scene 8?
5. How does Mother Courage calm the young soldier?
6. Why does Yvette drink in the morning?
7. Is "nothing sacred" to Kattrin in the lieutenant's opinion?
8. Why does Mother Courage choose to leave the cook behind?
9. What is Mother Courage's advice to the young soldier about anger and injustice?
10. Why do all of Mother Courage's children have names of different origins?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout "Mother Courage" characters use song to express themselves and Brecht uses them to flesh out moments. What is the purpose and effect of the musical quality of the play?
Essay Topic 2
"Mother Courage" is full of dark humor and irony. Discuss Brecht's use of these tools in the play. Where does it appear? What affect does it have on the plot and other characters? Is it used effectively?
Essay Topic 3
The character of the chaplain is one that goes through the most dramatic metamorphosis. His role as a religious representative and overturning it is a powerful statement about religion on Brecht's part. What is this statement?
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)