|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sergeant predict Swiss Cheese's nationality is?
2. What does Kattrin retrieve from the peasants' house?
3. What does the clerk know about Mother Courage?
4. What does the young solder threaten he will do to the captain?
5. Why does the first soldier want brandy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why won't they ring the church bells for the commander's funeral?
2. What is making the recruiting officer lose his confidence in mankind?
3. Has Eilif's brutality finally caught up to him when peace is declared?
4. Why does Mother Courage choose to leave the cook behind?
5. What is the cook's grievance with the chaplain?
6. Does Mother Courage seem more human in Scene 8?
7. Why is Mother Courage so protective of her soldiers' shirts?
8. Does the cook give an ultimatum to the parson to convince him to give them soup?
9. In Scene 6, how does the chaplain begin to see Mother Courage?
10. How brave is Kattrin?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Brecht's use of compassion and depravity side-by-side in "Mother Courage".
Essay Topic 2
In the pivotal scene of false peace in "Mother Courage", both Kattrin and Yvette come out of the war 'deformed' in some way. Discuss characters' deformities and demises in conjuncture with their personalities.
Essay Topic 3
There can be a fine line between lie and delusion in "Mother Courage".
Part 1: What are characters' relationships with lying and deceit?
Part 2: What are characters' relationships with delusions?
Part 3: What are the cause and effect relationships between these two? What connects them? What is Brecht's purpose in this?
This section contains 1,475 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)