|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eilif sing "The Song of the Wise Woman and the Soldier"?
2. Mother Courage is afraid they will make Kattrin a ____ if the soldiers see her in Yvette's clothes.
3. Some time after Swiss Cheese has been killed, why is Mother Courage going to complain to the captain?
4. Why does Mother Courage sing "The Song of Great Capitulation"?
5. What is the first soldier wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Mother Courage seem more human in Scene 8?
2. Does Mother Courage think Kattrin will have an easy life as a wife?
3. What is the cook's grievance with the chaplain?
4. Is "nothing sacred" to Kattrin in the lieutenant's opinion?
5. Does the chaplain see a difference between war and peace?
6. Why is Mother Courage so protective of her soldiers' shirts?
7. How brave is Kattrin?
8. Does Mother Courage's false hope give her strength to carry on?
9. How does Mother Courage get her name?
10. What does the first soldier mean when he says "she made it"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of the chaplain is one that goes through the most dramatic metamorphosis. His role as a religious representative and overturning it is a powerful statement about religion on Brecht's part. What is this statement?
Essay Topic 2
In three parts, discuss the relevance of each of Mother Courage's children: what they represent about war, youth, and themes of "Mother Courage" discussed in class.
Essay Topic 3
There can be a fine line between lie and delusion in "Mother Courage".
Part 1: What are characters' relationships with lying and deceit?
Part 2: What are characters' relationships with delusions?
Part 3: What are the cause and effect relationships between these two? What connects them? What is Brecht's purpose in this?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)