|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some time after Swiss Cheese has been killed, why is Mother Courage going to complain to the captain?
2. When Kattrin puts on Yvette's clothes, what about Yvette does she imitate?
3. Why does the older soldier tell the young soldier to be quiet?
4. What regiment is Mother Courage's family from?
5. What does the young solder threaten he will do to the captain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't Mother Courage tell the soldiers who arrested Swiss Cheese that he is her son?
2. In "Mother Courage" is it possible to gain without losing?
3. What is making the recruiting officer lose his confidence in mankind?
4. Why is Kattrin mute?
5. Why does the soldier wear a woman's fur coat?
6. Why does Mother Courage think the commander is bad at his job?
7. Why won't they ring the church bells for the commander's funeral?
8. When Mother Courage refuses to help the peasant family, has Kattrin's defiance of her mother escalated?
9. Does the chaplain see a difference between war and peace?
10. Why is Mother Courage initially upset when she finds out the war is over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do characters' convictions mean to them? What do they hold for the fate of others? What constitutes change for characters? What does it hold for the fate of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Virtue is valued differently in times of peace and war and is used as a commodity throughout the play. Discuss the purpose of "virtue" to the characters of "Mother Courage" and the play's statement of war as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Brutality is viewed differently in war and peace. Choose from one of the three topics and discuss Brecht's attitude and the war's attitude towards brutality:
Topic 1) Brutality and Youth.
Topic 2) Brutality and Courage.
Topic 3) Brutality and Impulse.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)