|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the young soldier angry at by the end of Scene 4?
2. What isn't Mother Courage lending out to soldiers when the Catholic soldiers invade the camp?
3. How long has it been since Mother Courage has seen Eilif?
4. What does Eilif want from Mother Courage when he sends her a message?
5. What does Mother Courage take from the soldier as payment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Mother Courage seem more human in Scene 8?
2. Earlier in the play, would we have expected Mother Courage to go with the cook? Why/how has she changed?
3. Is "nothing sacred" to Kattrin in the lieutenant's opinion?
4. Why does Mother Courage continue to talk with the sergeant and recruiting officer even though they are trying to recruit her sons into the army?
5. Does the cook give an ultimatum to the parson to convince him to give them soup?
6. What is the debate over the legitimacy of the villagers?
7. Does Mother Courage think Kattrin will have an easy life as a wife?
8. Why can't Mother Courage tell the soldiers who arrested Swiss Cheese that he is her son?
9. Has Eilif's brutality finally caught up to him when peace is declared?
10. How does Mother Courage get her name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what characterizes and defines the climax and denouement of "Mother Courage".
Essay Topic 2
In the first scene, Mother Courage prophesies the fates of her children. Mother Courage is also blind to much of reality through the play. Discuss Mother Courage's "prophetic" perception of the world, how she views herself, and how others view her.
Essay Topic 3
Motherhood is one of the defining traits of Mother Courage's character. How does "motherhood" function in "Mother Courage and Her Children"?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)