|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mother Courage says the young soldier listens to her because _______________.
2. Why does Mother Courage sing "The Song of Great Capitulation"?
3. When her mother doesn't help the peasants, why does Kattrin pick up the wooden board in the tent?
4. How long must Mother Courage wait to make her complaint to the captain?
5. Why does Mother Courage claim her price is a good one for a bird at this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Mother Courage seem more human in Scene 8?
2. Does Mother Courage's false hope give her strength to carry on?
3. When Mother Courage refuses to help the peasant family, has Kattrin's defiance of her mother escalated?
4. Why won't they ring the church bells for the commander's funeral?
5. Is "nothing sacred" to Kattrin in the lieutenant's opinion?
6. Earlier in the play, would we have expected Mother Courage to go with the cook? Why/how has she changed?
7. Has Eilif's brutality finally caught up to him when peace is declared?
8. What affect does Mother Courage's performance of "The Song of Great Capitulation" have?
9. Why does the cook want Mother Courage to come to Utrecht with him?
10. Why does Mother Courage sing "The Song of Great Capitulation" to calm the young soldier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brutality is viewed differently in war and peace. Choose from one of the three topics and discuss Brecht's attitude and the war's attitude towards brutality:
Topic 1) Brutality and Youth.
Topic 2) Brutality and Courage.
Topic 3) Brutality and Impulse.
Essay Topic 2
The lives and deaths of characters and the fate of relationships are frequently affected by their dependency on money or success. Discuss Brecht's commentary on humanity and war based on his use of money in "Mother Courage".
Essay Topic 3
Throughout "Mother Courage" characters use song to express themselves and Brecht uses them to flesh out moments. What is the purpose and effect of the musical quality of the play?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)