|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Eilif wants to join the army, Mother Courage tells him he's never happy until he's _______.
2. What does Mother Courage rub on Kattrin's face to hide her beauty?
3. Who does Eilif aspire to be like?
4. In the commander's opinion, what does Eilif still believe in?
5. Why is the young soldier complaining to the captain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Mother Courage seem more human in Scene 8?
2. Why won't Swiss Cheese run off with the regiment's pay box?
3. Why does the soldier threaten to kill the cattle instead of the peasants?
4. Will the war end now that the commander is dead?
5. Does the cook give an ultimatum to the parson to convince him to give them soup?
6. How does Mother Courage feel about her daughter, Kattrin?
7. Has Yvette benefited from the war?
8. Why does the cook not want Kattrin to come to Utrecht?
9. Is "nothing sacred" to Kattrin in the lieutenant's opinion?
10. What affect does Mother Courage's performance of "The Song of Great Capitulation" have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conversations about courage, cowardice, and bravery arise throughout the play. Discuss characters and the play's evolving relationship with these three themes.
Essay Topic 2
The character of the chaplain is one that goes through the most dramatic metamorphosis. His role as a religious representative and overturning it is a powerful statement about religion on Brecht's part. What is this statement?
Essay Topic 3
"Mother Courage" is full of dark humor and irony. Discuss Brecht's use of these tools in the play. Where does it appear? What affect does it have on the plot and other characters? Is it used effectively?
This section contains 1,405 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)