|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mother Courage thinks Eilif should be ashamed of himself for speculating about ______________.
2. Why does the young soldier think he deserves money?
3. Why does Yvette sing "The Fraternization Song"?
4. Mother Courage calls Eilif her brave and ____ son.
5. What does Kattrin retrieve from the peasants' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is making the recruiting officer lose his confidence in mankind?
2. Why does Mother Courage hesitate to pay for Swiss Cheese's releases?
3. Why does Mother Courage think the commander is bad at his job?
4. Why do all of Mother Courage's children have names of different origins?
5. Why can't Mother Courage tell the soldiers who arrested Swiss Cheese that he is her son?
6. Why does the soldier wear a woman's fur coat?
7. What has the chaplain's role shifted to by Scene 5?
8. How brave is Kattrin?
9. Why does the soldier threaten to kill the cattle instead of the peasants?
10. Why won't Swiss Cheese run off with the regiment's pay box?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kattrin is mute and must express herself through mime. A play, however, is centered on dialogue.
Part 1) How is having a silent character a powerful statement in a drama?
Part 2) How is Kattrin a tool in Brecht's portrayal of war?
Part 3) What is invaluable about Kattrin's condition?
Part 4) Who is most impacted by her? Who does she better define?
Essay Topic 2
Virtue is valued differently in times of peace and war and is used as a commodity throughout the play. Discuss the purpose of "virtue" to the characters of "Mother Courage" and the play's statement of war as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
In the pivotal scene of false peace in "Mother Courage", both Kattrin and Yvette come out of the war 'deformed' in some way. Discuss characters' deformities and demises in conjuncture with their personalities.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)