|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bible passage does the chaplain quote after Eilif's story?
2. Why won't Swiss Cheese steal the money from the pay box?
3. How cheaply does the officer sell bullets for?
4. How long has it been since Mother Courage has seen Eilif?
5. In the commander's opinion, what does Eilif still believe in?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Scene 6, how does the chaplain begin to see Mother Courage?
2. How does Mother Courage get her name?
3. Does the chaplain see a difference between war and peace?
4. Why is the young soldier outraged?
5. Will the war end now that the commander is dead?
6. In Mother Courage's opinion, why is being seated not revolting?
7. How does Mother Courage feel about her daughter, Kattrin?
8. Does the chaplain fall short of his "duty" in Scene 2?
9. Why is Mother Courage initially upset when she finds out the war is over?
10. Why does "Mother Courage" end with Mother Courage pulling her cart and singing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Mother Courage" is full of dark humor and irony. Discuss Brecht's use of these tools in the play. Where does it appear? What affect does it have on the plot and other characters? Is it used effectively?
Essay Topic 2
The lives and deaths of characters and the fate of relationships are frequently affected by their dependency on money or success. Discuss Brecht's commentary on humanity and war based on his use of money in "Mother Courage".
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice makes and breaks the fates of characters in "Mother Courage". Discuss selfishness, sacrifice, and martyrdom in the play: the foreshadowing and repercussions.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)