|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the recruiting officer think the army needs?
2. Why won't Mother Courage use her officers' shirts as bandages?
3. Why does Mother Courage have her opinion of the commander?
4. What does the recruiting officer offer Eilif if he joins the army?
5. Why does Kattrin run into the peasants' dilapidated house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mother Courage initially upset when she finds out the war is over?
2. What is making the recruiting officer lose his confidence in mankind?
3. How does Mother Courage calm the young soldier?
4. What does the first soldier mean when he says "she made it"?
5. Will the war end now that the commander is dead?
6. How brave is Kattrin?
7. Why are the peasants urging Mother Courage to leave?
8. Why does Mother Courage continue to talk with the sergeant and recruiting officer even though they are trying to recruit her sons into the army?
9. Why does Mother Courage sing "The Song of Great Capitulation" to calm the young soldier?
10. Why is Kattrin mute?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There can be a fine line between lie and delusion in "Mother Courage".
Part 1: What are characters' relationships with lying and deceit?
Part 2: What are characters' relationships with delusions?
Part 3: What are the cause and effect relationships between these two? What connects them? What is Brecht's purpose in this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what characterizes and defines the climax and denouement of "Mother Courage".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Brecht's use of compassion and depravity side-by-side in "Mother Courage".
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)