|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long must Mother Courage wait to make her complaint to the captain?
2. How much does Mother Courage try to sell the capon to the Cook for?
3. When Kattrin puts on Yvette's clothes, what about Yvette does she imitate?
4. Why does the older soldier tell the young soldier to be quiet?
5. Why does the recruiting officer say you can't take a man's word anymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mother Courage so protective of her soldiers' shirts?
2. Why does Mother Courage continue to talk with the sergeant and recruiting officer even though they are trying to recruit her sons into the army?
3. Why does Kattrin refuse to come out of the wagon through Scene 8?
4. Earlier in the play, would we have expected Mother Courage to go with the cook? Why/how has she changed?
5. Why does the soldier wear a woman's fur coat?
6. What does the first soldier mean when he says "she made it"?
7. How impoverished has the country become as the cook, Mother Courage, and Kattrin follow the soldier through the winter?
8. Are the peasants hypocrites?
9. What is the cook's grievance with the chaplain?
10. Why does Mother Courage claim 60 hellers is a good deal for a cabon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Virtue is valued differently in times of peace and war and is used as a commodity throughout the play. Discuss the purpose of "virtue" to the characters of "Mother Courage" and the play's statement of war as a whole.
Essay Topic 2Discuss the dynamic of men vs. women and family versus solitude in "Mother Courage".
Essay Topic 3In three parts, discuss the relevance of each of Mother Courage's children: what they represent about war, youth, and themes of "Mother Courage" discussed in class.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)