Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mother Courage tells Kattrin that ____ is a gift from God.
2. What does the sergeant claim is hypocritical of Mother Courage?
3. What regiment is Mother Courage's family from?
4. Why is the young soldier complaining to the captain?
5. In Eilif's story, what does he do when the peasants have him cornered?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does "Mother Courage" end with Mother Courage pulling her cart and singing?
2. Why is Mother Courage frantic to dress Kattrin more modestly and smear ashes on her face?
3. Why is Eilif a hero in the commander's eyes?
4. Has Mother Courage learned anything by the end of the play?
5. In Mother Courage's opinion, why is being seated not revolting?
6. Is Mother Courage angry with Eilif for taking the oxen from the peasants?
7. Why does the soldier threaten to kill the cattle instead of the peasants?
8. Has Yvette benefited from the war?
9. Why does Mother Courage sing "The Song of Great Capitulation" to calm the young soldier?
10. Why does Mother Courage continue to talk with the sergeant and recruiting officer even though they are trying to recruit her sons into the army?
Discuss what characterizes and defines the climax and denouement of "Mother Courage".
There can be a fine line between lie and delusion in "Mother Courage".
Part 1: What are characters' relationships with lying and deceit?
Part 2: What are characters' relationships with delusions?
Part 3: What are the cause and effect relationships between these two? What connects them? What is Brecht's purpose in this?
In the pivotal scene of false peace in "Mother Courage", both Kattrin and Yvette come out of the war 'deformed' in some way. Discuss characters' deformities and demises in conjuncture with their personalities.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)