|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mother Courage have her opinion of the commander?
2. What regiment is Mother Courage's family from?
3. Why does the chaplain need linen?
4. What isn't Mother Courage lending out to soldiers when the Catholic soldiers invade the camp?
5. Why does Mother Courage think Eilif is in high favor of the commander?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Mother Courage seem more human in Scene 8?
2. Why are the peasants urging Mother Courage to leave?
3. Why does Mother Courage sing "The Song of Great Capitulation" to calm the young soldier?
4. In Scene 6, how does the chaplain begin to see Mother Courage?
5. When Mother Courage refuses to help the peasant family, has Kattrin's defiance of her mother escalated?
6. Why is Mother Courage initially upset when she finds out the war is over?
7. Why is Mother Courage so protective of her soldiers' shirts?
8. Has Yvette benefited from the war?
9. Has Mother Courage learned anything by the end of the play?
10. Why does Mother Courage sing a lullaby to Kattrin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Motherhood is one of the defining traits of Mother Courage's character. How does "motherhood" function in "Mother Courage and Her Children"?
Essay Topic 2
There can be a fine line between lie and delusion in "Mother Courage".
Part 1: What are characters' relationships with lying and deceit?
Part 2: What are characters' relationships with delusions?
Part 3: What are the cause and effect relationships between these two? What connects them? What is Brecht's purpose in this?
Essay Topic 3
Virtue is valued differently in times of peace and war and is used as a commodity throughout the play. Discuss the purpose of "virtue" to the characters of "Mother Courage" and the play's statement of war as a whole.
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)