|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What regiment is Mother Courage's family from?
2. What body part is one of the peasants missing after their farm is attacked?
3. Mother Courage calls Eilif her brave and ____ son.
4. What animal whispers in "The Song of Great Capitulation"?
5. What is Mother Courage's advice to Kattrin about soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do all of Mother Courage's children have names of different origins?
2. Earlier in the play, would we have expected Mother Courage to go with the cook? Why/how has she changed?
3. Will the war end now that the commander is dead?
4. Why is Mother Courage so protective of her soldiers' shirts?
5. Does the chaplain see a difference between war and peace?
6. Are the peasants hypocrites?
7. Why does Mother Courage choose to leave the cook behind?
8. Why won't Swiss Cheese run off with the regiment's pay box?
9. How does Mother Courage calm the young soldier?
10. Why does the soldier threaten to kill the cattle instead of the peasants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There can be a fine line between lie and delusion in "Mother Courage".
Part 1: What are characters' relationships with lying and deceit?
Part 2: What are characters' relationships with delusions?
Part 3: What are the cause and effect relationships between these two? What connects them? What is Brecht's purpose in this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what characterizes and defines the climax and denouement of "Mother Courage".
Essay Topic 3
Conversations about courage, cowardice, and bravery arise throughout the play. Discuss characters and the play's evolving relationship with these three themes.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)