|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mother Courage compare the officers taking her son into the army to?
2. Why is Mother Courage angry with Eilif after he attacks the peasants?
3. What does the recruiting officer offer Eilif if he joins the army?
4. What does the sergeant claim is hypocritical of Mother Courage?
5. What effect has Mother Courage had on the young soldier by the end of the scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the cook not want Kattrin to come to Utrecht?
2. Why does Yvette drink in the morning?
3. Why does Mother Courage hesitate to pay for Swiss Cheese's releases?
4. Why does the soldier threaten to kill the cattle instead of the peasants?
5. What is the debate over the legitimacy of the villagers?
6. Has Yvette benefited from the war?
7. Why is Kattrin mute?
8. Why do all of Mother Courage's children have names of different origins?
9. Why does Mother Courage claim 60 hellers is a good deal for a cabon?
10. How does Mother Courage feel about her daughter, Kattrin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first scene, Mother Courage prophesies the fates of her children. Mother Courage is also blind to much of reality through the play. Discuss Mother Courage's "prophetic" perception of the world, how she views herself, and how others view her.
Essay Topic 2
The character of the chaplain is one that goes through the most dramatic metamorphosis. His role as a religious representative and overturning it is a powerful statement about religion on Brecht's part. What is this statement?
Essay Topic 3
Motherhood is one of the defining traits of Mother Courage's character. How does "motherhood" function in "Mother Courage and Her Children"?
This section contains 1,418 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)