|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the recruiting officer say you can't take a man's word anymore?
2. What does Mother Courage run with through the bombardment, giving her her nickname?
3. What does Mother Courage live off of?
4. Some time after Swiss Cheese has been killed, why is Mother Courage going to complain to the captain?
5. What does the recruiting officer think the army needs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the cook want Mother Courage to come to Utrecht with him?
2. What is Mother Courage's advice to the young soldier about anger and injustice?
3. Why is the young soldier outraged?
4. Earlier in the play, would we have expected Mother Courage to go with the cook? Why/how has she changed?
5. Why is Mother Courage so protective of her soldiers' shirts?
6. What has the chaplain's role shifted to by Scene 5?
7. Why won't Swiss Cheese run off with the regiment's pay box?
8. Why does Mother Courage sing a lullaby to Kattrin?
9. Does the chaplain fall short of his "duty" in Scene 2?
10. Has Yvette benefited from the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what characterizes and defines the climax and denouement of "Mother Courage".
Essay Topic 2
"Mother Courage" is full of dark humor and irony. Discuss Brecht's use of these tools in the play. Where does it appear? What affect does it have on the plot and other characters? Is it used effectively?
Essay Topic 3
Kattrin is mute and must express herself through mime. A play, however, is centered on dialogue.
Part 1) How is having a silent character a powerful statement in a drama?
Part 2) How is Kattrin a tool in Brecht's portrayal of war?
Part 3) What is invaluable about Kattrin's condition?
Part 4) Who is most impacted by her? Who does she better define?
This section contains 1,473 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)