|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mother Courage's advice to Kattrin about soldiers?
2. Mother Courage thinks Eilif should be ashamed of himself for speculating about ______________.
3. Why won't Swiss Cheese steal the money from the pay box?
4. Mother Courage tells Kattrin that ____ is a gift from God.
5. Mother Courage calls Eilif her brave and ____ son.
Short Essay Questions
1. Has Eilif's brutality finally caught up to him when peace is declared?
2. How does Mother Courage get her name?
3. What does the first soldier mean when he says "she made it"?
4. Why is Kattrin mute?
5. What has the chaplain's role shifted to by Scene 5?
6. Why does the soldier wear a woman's fur coat?
7. Does Mother Courage's false hope give her strength to carry on?
8. Why does the cook not want Kattrin to come to Utrecht?
9. Why won't Swiss Cheese run off with the regiment's pay box?
10. Will the war end now that the commander is dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the pivotal scene of false peace in "Mother Courage", both Kattrin and Yvette come out of the war 'deformed' in some way. Discuss characters' deformities and demises in conjuncture with their personalities.
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice makes and breaks the fates of characters in "Mother Courage". Discuss selfishness, sacrifice, and martyrdom in the play: the foreshadowing and repercussions.
Essay Topic 3
The lives and deaths of characters and the fate of relationships are frequently affected by their dependency on money or success. Discuss Brecht's commentary on humanity and war based on his use of money in "Mother Courage".
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)