|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the officer sell bullets for such a cheap price?
2. Why does Yvette drink in the morning?
3. Why does the recruiting officer say you can't take a man's word anymore?
4. Some time after Swiss Cheese has been killed, why is Mother Courage going to complain to the captain?
5. What does Mother Courage run with through the bombardment, giving her her nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. Will the war end now that the commander is dead?
2. Why does Mother Courage think the commander is bad at his job?
3. Why does the cook want Mother Courage to come to Utrecht with him?
4. Why is Kattrin mute?
5. Why is Eilif a hero in the commander's eyes?
6. Is "nothing sacred" to Kattrin in the lieutenant's opinion?
7. In "Mother Courage" is it possible to gain without losing?
8. Is Mother Courage angry with Eilif for taking the oxen from the peasants?
9. Why is Mother Courage so protective of her soldiers' shirts?
10. What do the sergeant and recruiting officer think the benefit of war is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice makes and breaks the fates of characters in "Mother Courage". Discuss selfishness, sacrifice, and martyrdom in the play: the foreshadowing and repercussions.
Essay Topic 2
In three parts, discuss the relevance of each of Mother Courage's children: what they represent about war, youth, and themes of "Mother Courage" discussed in class.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout "Mother Courage" characters use song to express themselves and Brecht uses them to flesh out moments. What is the purpose and effect of the musical quality of the play?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)