|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What solace does Mother Courage take from Swiss Cheese's job in the army?
2. What does Mother Courage decide to do at the end of the scene?
3. What is the first soldier wearing?
4. Why does Mother Courage think Eilif is in high favor of the commander?
5. What body part is one of the peasants missing after their farm is attacked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the soldier wear a woman's fur coat?
2. What has the chaplain's role shifted to by Scene 5?
3. What compels Kattrin to climb to the roof?
4. Has Yvette benefited from the war?
5. Why does the cook not want Kattrin to come to Utrecht?
6. Earlier in the play, would we have expected Mother Courage to go with the cook? Why/how has she changed?
7. In Scene 6, how does the chaplain begin to see Mother Courage?
8. Does the cook give an ultimatum to the parson to convince him to give them soup?
9. In "Mother Courage" is it possible to gain without losing?
10. How does Mother Courage feel about her daughter, Kattrin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do characters' convictions mean to them? What do they hold for the fate of others? What constitutes change for characters? What does it hold for the fate of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Brutality is viewed differently in war and peace. Choose from one of the three topics and discuss Brecht's attitude and the war's attitude towards brutality:
Topic 1) Brutality and Youth.
Topic 2) Brutality and Courage.
Topic 3) Brutality and Impulse.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dynamic of men vs. women and family versus solitude in "Mother Courage".
This section contains 1,503 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)