Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mother Courage tells Kattrin that ____ is a gift from God.
2. What does the sergeant claim is hypocritical of Mother Courage?
3. What regiment is Mother Courage's family from?
4. Why is the young soldier complaining to the captain?
5. In Eilif's story, what does he do when the peasants have him cornered?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does "Mother Courage" end with Mother Courage pulling her cart and singing?
2. Why is Mother Courage frantic to dress Kattrin more modestly and smear ashes on her face?
3. Why is Eilif a hero in the commander's eyes?
4. Has Mother Courage learned anything by the end of the play?
5. In Mother Courage's opinion, why is being seated not revolting?
6. Is Mother Courage angry with Eilif for taking the oxen from the peasants?
7. Why does the soldier threaten to kill the cattle instead of the peasants?
8. Has Yvette benefited from the war?
9. Why does Mother Courage sing "The Song of Great Capitulation" to calm the young soldier?
10. Why does Mother Courage continue to talk with the sergeant and recruiting officer even though they are trying to recruit her sons into the army?
Kattrin is mute and must express herself through mime. A play, however, is centered on dialogue.
Part 1) How is having a silent character a powerful statement in a drama?
Part 2) How is Kattrin a tool in Brecht's portrayal of war?
Part 3) What is invaluable about Kattrin's condition?
Part 4) Who is most impacted by her? Who does she better define?
Discuss Brecht's use of compassion and depravity side-by-side in "Mother Courage".
Sacrifice makes and breaks the fates of characters in "Mother Courage". Discuss selfishness, sacrifice, and martyrdom in the play: the foreshadowing and repercussions.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)