|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kattrin go to the roof?
(a) To warn the peasants.
(b) To get some perspective.
(c) To jump off.
(d) To look at stars.
2. Before she leaves the peasants' farmhouse, what does Mother Courage get for Kattrin from the wagon?
(a) Her doll.
(b) Fresh clothes.
(d) A cloth.
3. The peasant woman calls Kattrin a ______ when she tells her to stop drumming.
4. What does Mother Courage live off of?
(a) Her children's labor.
(b) The kindness of others.
(c) Her talents.
5. Why does Mother Courage leave the farmhouse at the end of the play?
(a) To go back to business.
(b) To escape a bounty hunter.
(c) To pray for Swiss Cheese.
(d) To find food.
6. Why doesn't the peasant want the soldiers to kill their cattle?
(a) They're vegetarians.
(b) They will go broke.
(c) Their father will be mad.
(d) They will starve.
7. Why can't the soldiers chop more wood?
(a) They only have one axe.
(b) Their arms hurt.
(c) There is no more wood.
(d) Their axe is broken.
8. Mother Courage says it's _______ everyone is missing the commander's funeral.
(a) An honor.
(b) A disgrace.
(d) A pity.
9. What does Mother Courage promise to Kattrin when there is peace?
(a) A husband.
(c) A house.
(d) A child.
10. According to the cook, what kind of life is a cook's life?
(a) A good life.
(b) A dog's life.
(c) A prosperous life.
(d) A lonely life.
11. Why does Mother Courage leave to go to the market after peace is declared?
(a) To find Eilif.
(b) To send a letter.
(c) To chase after the chaplain.
(d) To sell her supplies.
12. What is Mother Courage's last line?
(a) "Back to business."
(b) "Take me with you".
(c) "All's well that ends well".
(d) "Nothing can stop me".
13. Instead of bells, what will there be at the commander's funeral?
(a) Gun shots.
(c) Live music.
14. Why can't Kattrin come to the inn?
(a) She doesn't want to leave the cart.
(b) There is no room.
(c) She steals.
(d) Her father will come looking for her.
15. Why won't the young peasant help the soldiers in Scene 11?
(a) They are Catholic.
(b) They will wake the baby.
(c) They smell bad.
(d) They didn't ask nicely.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why couldn't Kattrin pull the cart by herself?
2. Mother Courage says that she still has _______, which gives her hope to carry on.
3. In the chaplain's opinion, where do commanders grow?
4. How do the soldiers silence Kattrin?
5. Why is Mother Courage encouraged to leave the farmhouse quickly and not stay with Kattrin's body?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)