|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why won't they ring bells for the commander's funeral?
(a) They destroyed the bells.
(b) Bells sound too celebratory.
(c) He hated bells.
(d) He doesn't deserve them.
2. Where is Mother Courage going at the end of the play?
(a) To follow the regiment.
3. Why do the poor need courage?
(a) They're weak.
(b) They're lost.
(c) They're going to fight.
(d) They're doomed.
4. Why do Mother Courage, Kattrin, and the cook stop at the parson's house?
(a) He knows where Eilif is.
(b) They can sleep there.
(c) He will give them directions.
(d) He has food.
5. Where is the inn the cook inherited?
6. What does Mother Courage not know at the end of the play?
(a) Eilif is dead.
(b) She is sick.
(c) Her home's been destroyed.
(d) She is a wanted woman.
7. Why does Mother Courage leave the farmhouse at the end of the play?
(a) To go back to business.
(b) To pray for Swiss Cheese.
(c) To escape a bounty hunter.
(d) To find food.
8. Instead of being dead, Mother Courage insists that Kattrin is ______.
9. Mother Courage says it's _______ everyone is missing the commander's funeral.
(a) A pity.
(c) An honor.
(d) A disgrace.
10. What does Mother Courage live off of?
(b) Her children's labor.
(c) The kindness of others.
(d) Her talents.
11. Why can't the peasants go to town the night the soldiers come to their farmhouse?
(a) There are too many soldiers.
(b) They don't know the way.
(c) They are lazy.
(d) They've been tied up.
12. How does Kattrin react to the soldiers' attempts to silence her?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She does what they ask.
(d) She throws things at them.
13. Why is Mother Courage encouraged to leave the farmhouse quickly and not stay with Kattrin's body?
(a) It's getting dark.
(b) Soldiers are coming.
(c) She is very rude.
(d) The peasants are angry.
14. How does the cook refer to Mother Courage when the chaplain insults her?
(a) His boss.
(b) His mother.
(c) His girlfriend.
(d) His sister.
15. Why doesn't Mother Courage want peace?
(a) She doesn't want to see Eilif.
(b) She doesn't want Kattrin to get married.
(c) She just bought supplies.
(d) She is bored in peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mother Courage see the chaplain?
2. Why can't Kattrin come to the inn?
3. What attitude does the chaplain have towards women?
4. Why doesn't the peasant want the soldiers to kill their cattle?
5. How does Kattrin react when the peasants tell her there are children in town?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)