|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mother Courage give the peasants money before she leaves Kattrin's body with them?
(a) For their trouble.
(b) For food.
(c) To bury Kattrin.
(d) To keep them quiet.
2. Why doesn't Mother Courage want peace?
(a) She is bored in peace.
(b) She doesn't want to see Eilif.
(c) She doesn't want Kattrin to get married.
(d) She just bought supplies.
3. What does Mother Courage sing to Kattrin's body?
(a) A lullaby.
(b) A prayer.
(c) A dance song.
(d) A war song.
4. What attitude does the chaplain have towards women?
(a) An unhealthy one.
(b) A condescending one.
(c) A flirtatious one.
(d) A respectful one.
5. What is Mother Courage doing while she talks to the chaplain at the beginning of Scene 6?
(a) Cooking dinner.
(b) Braiding Kattrin's hair.
(d) Counting inventory.
6. Who comes with Mother Courage as she continues on at the end of the play?
(a) The cook.
(b) A little girl.
(c) No one.
(d) The peasants.
7. Who does Yvette marry?
(a) A low-ranking soldier.
(b) A colonel.
(c) A salesman.
(d) The commander.
8. Mother Courage says it's _______ everyone is missing the commander's funeral.
(a) A disgrace.
(b) An honor.
(c) A pity.
9. Where is the inn the cook inherited?
10. Why is the cook angry with the chaplain when he returns?
(a) He is flirting with Mother Courage.
(b) He is a thief.
(c) He told Mother Courage to buy supplies.
(d) He is trying to marry Kattrin.
11. Where have we heard the song the soldiers sing at the very end of the play?
(a) When Mother Courage first appears in the play.
(b) When Swiss Cheese died.
(c) When she said goodbye to the cook.
(d) When she thought there was peace.
12. What is the background noise at the beginning of Scene 12?
(a) Crying families.
(b) Troops drums.
(c) Peasants' songs.
13. Why would Kattrin be bad for business at the inn?
(a) She is a bad dancer.
(b) She is clumsy.
(c) She steals.
(d) She is scarred.
14. Why couldn't Kattrin pull the cart by herself?
(a) War terrifies her.
(b) She is bad with directions.
(c) She is too weak.
(d) People will take advantage of her.
15. Where is Mother Courage going at the end of the play?
(b) To follow the regiment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't the peasants go to town the night the soldiers come to their farmhouse?
2. Why won't the young peasant help the soldiers in Scene 11?
3. Why won't they ring bells for the commander's funeral?
4. How do the soldiers silence Kattrin?
5. How does the cook refer to Mother Courage when the chaplain insults her?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)