|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mother Courage live off of?
(b) Her children's labor.
(c) Her talents.
(d) The kindness of others.
2. What are people shouting at the beginning of Scene 8?
(b) "Long live the King".
(c) "For he's a jolly good fellow".
3. The soldiers threaten Kattrin by saying if she doesn't stop her commotion they will smash ______.
(a) Her wagon.
(b) A clock.
(c) The house.
(d) Her supplies.
4. Why couldn't Kattrin pull the cart by herself?
(a) She is bad with directions.
(b) She is too weak.
(c) People will take advantage of her.
(d) War terrifies her.
5. Why should the cook talk quietly when he is talking to Mother Courage about the inn?
(a) So he doesn't wake the parson.
(b) Because he has an annoying voice.
(c) So Kattrin can't hear him.
(d) Because Kattrin is trying to sleep.
6. Why does the chaplain hesitate to put on his pastor's coat?
(a) It smells bad.
(b) He doesn't want to go back to religious life.
(c) He thinks it's cursed.
(d) He might be seen as the antichrist.
7. Why can't the soldiers chop more wood?
(a) Their axe is broken.
(b) Their arms hurt.
(c) There is no more wood.
(d) They only have one axe.
8. How does the cook propose that he and Mother Courage call to the parson?
(a) They drum.
(b) They scream.
(c) They knock on his door.
(d) They sing.
9. Why won't they ring bells for the commander's funeral?
(a) He hated bells.
(b) He doesn't deserve them.
(c) They destroyed the bells.
(d) Bells sound too celebratory.
10. Mother Courage says it's _______ everyone is missing the commander's funeral.
(b) A pity.
(c) An honor.
(d) A disgrace.
11. Who comes with Mother Courage as she continues on at the end of the play?
(a) The cook.
(b) The peasants.
(c) A little girl.
(d) No one.
12. What does Mother Courage not know at the end of the play?
(a) Her home's been destroyed.
(b) Eilif is dead.
(c) She is a wanted woman.
(d) She is sick.
13. In the chaplain's opinion, wars can look forward to ________ futures.
14. In Scene 10, Mother Courage and Kattrin stop at a ______ to listen to a woman sing.
15. When Mother Courage returns to the farmhouse, who is standing around Mother Courage and Kattrin's body?
(a) The cook and chaplain.
(b) The peasants.
(c) The ghosts of her children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Yvette marry?
2. Why is Eilif being killed?
3. Why hasn't the watchman sounded the alarm?
4. What instrument does Kattrin use in Scene 11?
5. Why is Mother Courage encouraged to leave the farmhouse quickly and not stay with Kattrin's body?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)