|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mother Courage feel about moving on?
(a) She's sad.
(b) She's happy.
(c) She'll manage.
(d) She's reluctant.
2. In Scene 10, Mother Courage and Kattrin stop at a ______ to listen to a woman sing.
3. Why does Mother Courage leave the farmhouse at the end of the play?
(a) To escape a bounty hunter.
(b) To go back to business.
(c) To pray for Swiss Cheese.
(d) To find food.
4. Why won't they ring bells for the commander's funeral?
(a) He hated bells.
(b) They destroyed the bells.
(c) Bells sound too celebratory.
(d) He doesn't deserve them.
5. Before she leaves the peasants' farmhouse, what does Mother Courage get for Kattrin from the wagon?
(a) A cloth.
(b) Her doll.
(d) Fresh clothes.
6. Why doesn't the peasant want the soldiers to kill their cattle?
(a) They're vegetarians.
(b) They will starve.
(c) They will go broke.
(d) Their father will be mad.
7. Why is Eilif being killed?
(a) He attacked peasants.
(b) He is a lazy soldier.
(c) He stole the Chief's wife.
(d) He's a traitor.
8. What is Mother Courage doing while she talks to the chaplain at the beginning of Scene 6?
(b) Braiding Kattrin's hair.
(c) Cooking dinner.
(d) Counting inventory.
9. Why should the cook talk quietly when he is talking to Mother Courage about the inn?
(a) So he doesn't wake the parson.
(b) Because he has an annoying voice.
(c) So Kattrin can't hear him.
(d) Because Kattrin is trying to sleep.
10. Where is the inn the cook inherited?
11. Why is Kattrin not in danger by going out alone?
(a) Everyone is looking out for her.
(b) She is ugly.
(c) She is tough.
(d) She is married.
12. Why do the soldiers come to the peasants' farmhouse late at night?
(a) To surrender.
(b) To ask for food.
(c) To find their friend.
(d) To get directions.
13. Why would Kattrin be bad for business at the inn?
(a) She steals.
(b) She is scarred.
(c) She is a bad dancer.
(d) She is clumsy.
14. How does the cook's mother die?
(d) Old age.
15. What does the cook call the chaplain when they fight over Mother Courage?
(a) A fool.
(b) A hero.
(c) A stud.
(d) A windbag.
Short Answer Questions
1. What attitude does the chaplain have towards women?
2. In her dreams, where does Mother Courage see herself pulling her cart?
3. What are people shouting at the beginning of Scene 8?
4. According to the cook, what kind of life is a cook's life?
5. Why does Mother Courage leave to go to the market after peace is declared?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)