|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What song does the cook sing to the parson?
(a) The Song of the Wise Woman and the Soldier.
(b) The Song of Great Capitulation.
(c) The Song of Mother Courage.
(d) The Song of the Great Souls of the Earth.
2. Why does the chaplain hesitate to put on his pastor's coat?
(a) He might be seen as the antichrist.
(b) He doesn't want to go back to religious life.
(c) It smells bad.
(d) He thinks it's cursed.
3. What is the cook's name, according to Yvette?
(a) John Doe.
(b) Don Juan.
(c) Peter Piper.
(d) Uncle Sam.
4. The chaplain has _____ feelings for Mother Courage.
5. What is the background noise at the beginning of Scene 12?
(a) Peasants' songs.
(b) Troops drums.
(c) Crying families.
6. Why does Kattrin go to the roof?
(a) To get some perspective.
(b) To warn the peasants.
(c) To jump off.
(d) To look at stars.
7. How does the cook propose that he and Mother Courage call to the parson?
(a) They sing.
(b) They drum.
(c) They scream.
(d) They knock on his door.
8. How does Kattrin react when the peasants tell her there are children in town?
(a) She grows hysterical.
(b) She is troubled.
(c) She is happy.
(d) She is indifferent.
9. In the chaplain's opinion, where do commanders grow?
(a) On trees.
(b) In the ground.
(c) At home.
(d) In the heart.
10. Why won't the young peasant help the soldiers in Scene 11?
(a) They didn't ask nicely.
(b) They are Catholic.
(c) They smell bad.
(d) They will wake the baby.
11. Why is the cook angry with the chaplain when he returns?
(a) He is a thief.
(b) He told Mother Courage to buy supplies.
(c) He is flirting with Mother Courage.
(d) He is trying to marry Kattrin.
12. Why does Mother Courage leave the farmhouse at the end of the play?
(a) To escape a bounty hunter.
(b) To pray for Swiss Cheese.
(c) To find food.
(d) To go back to business.
13. Why does the commander die?
(a) He killed himself.
(b) He was in the front lines.
(c) It was an accident.
(d) He was assassinated.
14. What does Mother Courage sing to Kattrin's body?
(a) A lullaby.
(b) A dance song.
(c) A prayer.
(d) A war song.
15. Why has the cook come back to Mother Courage when peace is declared?
(a) He's a spy.
(b) He loves her.
(c) He is broke.
(d) He is lonely.
Short Answer Questions
1. The soldiers threaten Kattrin by saying if she doesn't stop her commotion they will smash ______.
2. What prayer do the peasants pray when the soldiers are threatening them in their farmhouse?
3. Who comes with Mother Courage as she continues on at the end of the play?
4. Mother Courage claims that Kattrin would still be alive if the peasants hadn't told her about _______.
5. What does the cook call the chaplain when they fight over Mother Courage?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)