|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the commander die?
(a) He killed himself.
(b) He was in the front lines.
(c) It was an accident.
(d) He was assassinated.
2. Why doesn't Mother Courage want peace?
(a) She doesn't want Kattrin to get married.
(b) She just bought supplies.
(c) She is bored in peace.
(d) She doesn't want to see Eilif.
3. Why won't the young peasant help the soldiers in Scene 11?
(a) They didn't ask nicely.
(b) They smell bad.
(c) They will wake the baby.
(d) They are Catholic.
4. What is the cook's name, according to Yvette?
(a) Don Juan.
(b) John Doe.
(c) Uncle Sam.
(d) Peter Piper.
5. Why is Kattrin not in danger by going out alone?
(a) Everyone is looking out for her.
(b) She is ugly.
(c) She is married.
(d) She is tough.
6. Who comes with Mother Courage as she continues on at the end of the play?
(a) The cook.
(b) No one.
(c) The peasants.
(d) A little girl.
7. Why do the poor need courage?
(a) They're weak.
(b) They're going to fight.
(c) They're doomed.
(d) They're lost.
8. What are people shouting at the beginning of Scene 8?
(b) "For he's a jolly good fellow".
(c) "Long live the King".
9. In the chaplain's opinion, wars can look forward to ________ futures.
10. Instead of being dead, Mother Courage insists that Kattrin is ______.
11. What is Mother Courage doing while she talks to the chaplain at the beginning of Scene 6?
(a) Cooking dinner.
(b) Counting inventory.
(c) Braiding Kattrin's hair.
12. The first soldier threatens that he will kill the cattle if the peasants are not ______.
13. Why does Mother Courage leave the farmhouse at the end of the play?
(a) To go back to business.
(b) To pray for Swiss Cheese.
(c) To escape a bounty hunter.
(d) To find food.
14. In the chaplain's opinion, where do commanders grow?
(a) At home.
(b) On trees.
(c) In the ground.
(d) In the heart.
15. Why won't they ring bells for the commander's funeral?
(a) They destroyed the bells.
(b) He doesn't deserve them.
(c) Bells sound too celebratory.
(d) He hated bells.
Short Answer Questions
1. A peasant claims Kattrin would still be alive if ____________.
2. The soldiers threaten Kattrin by saying if she doesn't stop her commotion they will smash ______.
3. How does Kattrin react to the soldiers' attempts to silence her?
4. What song does the cook sing to the parson?
5. How does Kattrin react when the peasants tell her there are children in town?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)