|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Mother Courage when the soldiers come to the farmhouse?
(a) In town.
(b) She's been kidnapped.
(c) At the river.
2. What are men doing instead of going to the commander's funeral?
3. What does Mother Courage live off of?
(b) Her children's labor.
(c) Her talents.
(d) The kindness of others.
4. Why does Kattrin go to the roof?
(a) To warn the peasants.
(b) To get some perspective.
(c) To jump off.
(d) To look at stars.
5. Why is Eilif being killed?
(a) He attacked peasants.
(b) He's a traitor.
(c) He is a lazy soldier.
(d) He stole the Chief's wife.
6. Why do Mother Courage, Kattrin, and the cook stop at the parson's house?
(a) He will give them directions.
(b) They can sleep there.
(c) He has food.
(d) He knows where Eilif is.
7. Why won't the clerk go to the commander's funeral?
(a) Because he didn't like the commander.
(b) Because he is forbidden to.
(c) Because of the rain.
(d) Because he can't find a ride.
8. What is the cook's name, according to Yvette?
(a) Peter Piper.
(b) John Doe.
(c) Uncle Sam.
(d) Don Juan.
9. The chaplain has _____ feelings for Mother Courage.
10. Why would Kattrin be bad for business at the inn?
(a) She is scarred.
(b) She is clumsy.
(c) She steals.
(d) She is a bad dancer.
11. Why does Mother Courage give the peasants money before she leaves Kattrin's body with them?
(a) To bury Kattrin.
(b) For food.
(c) To keep them quiet.
(d) For their trouble.
12. Instead of being dead, Mother Courage insists that Kattrin is ______.
13. Instead of going with the cook to the inn, what does Mother Courage do at the end of Scene 9?
(a) Abandons the cook.
(b) Steals the cook's money.
(c) Politely declines his offer.
(d) Gives Kattrin to him.
14. What does Mother Courage promise to Kattrin when there is peace?
(a) A house.
(c) A child.
(d) A husband.
15. Why does Mother Courage insist on going to church when peace is declared?
(a) To repent her sins.
(b) To pray for Kattrin.
(c) To marry the chaplain.
(d) To honor Swiss Cheese.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the background noise at the beginning of Scene 12?
2. Mother Courage says that she still has _______, which gives her hope to carry on.
3. What unlikely thing does the chaplain claim one can find in war?
4. Why does Mother Courage feel it's unfortunate that the commander died?
5. Why is Kattrin not in danger by going out alone?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)