|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why won't the clerk go to the commander's funeral?
(a) Because he is forbidden to.
(b) Because of the rain.
(c) Because he didn't like the commander.
(d) Because he can't find a ride.
2. Why does Mother Courage feel it's unfortunate that the commander died?
(a) Because he had a family.
(b) Because he was a good man.
(c) Because he was so young.
(d) Because he might have had special plans.
3. Where is Mother Courage when the soldiers come to the farmhouse?
(a) In town.
(b) She's been kidnapped.
(d) At the river.
4. What does Mother Courage live off of?
(a) The kindness of others.
(b) Her talents.
(d) Her children's labor.
5. The soldiers threaten Kattrin by saying if she doesn't stop her commotion they will smash ______.
(a) Her wagon.
(b) A clock.
(c) Her supplies.
(d) The house.
6. How does Kattrin react to the soldiers' attempts to silence her?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She throws things at them.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She does what they ask.
7. Who passes by the farmhouse and Mother Courage follows and exits for the last time?
(a) A man she recognizes.
(b) A regiment.
(c) A family.
(d) Some priests.
8. Why does the commander die?
(a) It was an accident.
(b) He was in the front lines.
(c) He killed himself.
(d) He was assassinated.
9. Mother Courage says it's _______ everyone is missing the commander's funeral.
(b) A pity.
(c) A disgrace.
(d) An honor.
10. Why do Mother Courage, Kattrin, and the cook stop at the parson's house?
(a) He will give them directions.
(b) He knows where Eilif is.
(c) They can sleep there.
(d) He has food.
11. Why do the soldiers come to the peasants' farmhouse late at night?
(a) To get directions.
(b) To surrender.
(c) To ask for food.
(d) To find their friend.
12. What does Mother Courage promise to Kattrin when there is peace?
(a) A husband.
(c) A child.
(d) A house.
13. A peasant claims Kattrin would still be alive if ____________.
(a) Eilif was still alive.
(b) The soldiers hadn't come.
(c) Mother Courage hadn't gone to town.
(d) They hadn't told her about the children.
14. Why does the chaplain hesitate to put on his pastor's coat?
(a) He might be seen as the antichrist.
(b) He doesn't want to go back to religious life.
(c) It smells bad.
(d) He thinks it's cursed.
15. Why hasn't the watchman sounded the alarm?
(a) He was fired yesterday.
(b) He's lazy.
(c) He's not there.
(d) He's been killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the cook, what kind of reward can one get for virtue?
2. Who comes with Mother Courage as she continues on at the end of the play?
3. Instead of going with the cook to the inn, what does Mother Courage do at the end of Scene 9?
4. Before she leaves the peasants' farmhouse, what does Mother Courage get for Kattrin from the wagon?
5. In her dreams, where does Mother Courage see herself pulling her cart?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)