|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mother Courage feel it's unfortunate that the commander died?
(a) Because he was so young.
(b) Because he was a good man.
(c) Because he had a family.
(d) Because he might have had special plans.
2. A peasant claims Kattrin would still be alive if ____________.
(a) They hadn't told her about the children.
(b) Eilif was still alive.
(c) The soldiers hadn't come.
(d) Mother Courage hadn't gone to town.
3. The peasant woman calls Kattrin a ______ when she tells her to stop drumming.
4. What does the cook try to exchange for dinner?
5. Why do Mother Courage, Kattrin, and the cook stop at the parson's house?
(a) He has food.
(b) He will give them directions.
(c) They can sleep there.
(d) He knows where Eilif is.
6. What does it mean that there are no lights on in the parson's house?
(a) They're hiding.
(b) No one's home.
(c) They've been robbed.
(d) No one's awake.
7. Why won't the clerk go to the commander's funeral?
(a) Because of the rain.
(b) Because he can't find a ride.
(c) Because he is forbidden to.
(d) Because he didn't like the commander.
8. According to the cook, what kind of reward can one get for virtue?
(b) A place in heaven.
(c) Good luck.
9. How do the soldiers silence Kattrin?
(a) They shoot her.
(b) They climb up on the roof.
(c) They scold her.
(d) They smash the wagon.
10. In the chaplain's opinion, wars can look forward to ________ futures.
11. Why do the soldiers come to the peasants' farmhouse late at night?
(a) To ask for food.
(b) To find their friend.
(c) To surrender.
(d) To get directions.
12. What attitude does the chaplain have towards women?
(a) A respectful one.
(b) A condescending one.
(c) A flirtatious one.
(d) An unhealthy one.
13. Instead of going with the cook to the inn, what does Mother Courage do at the end of Scene 9?
(a) Gives Kattrin to him.
(b) Steals the cook's money.
(c) Politely declines his offer.
(d) Abandons the cook.
14. According to the cook, what kind of life is a cook's life?
(a) A dog's life.
(b) A prosperous life.
(c) A good life.
(d) A lonely life.
15. How does Mother Courage see the chaplain?
(a) As a fool.
(b) As a father figure.
(c) As a helping hand.
(d) As a potential husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't the young peasant help the soldiers in Scene 11?
2. Why is Eilif being killed?
3. Mother Courage says it's _______ everyone is missing the commander's funeral.
4. Why is Kattrin not in danger by going out alone?
5. Why doesn't Mother Courage want bed feathers?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)