|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mother Courage insist on going to church when peace is declared?
(a) To marry the chaplain.
(b) To pray for Kattrin.
(c) To repent her sins.
(d) To honor Swiss Cheese.
2. Instead of being dead, Mother Courage insists that Kattrin is ______.
3. Mother Courage says that she still has _______, which gives her hope to carry on.
(b) Swiss Cheese.
(c) A husband.
4. Why do the poor need courage?
(a) They're weak.
(b) They're doomed.
(c) They're going to fight.
(d) They're lost.
5. Why does Mother Courage leave to go to the market after peace is declared?
(a) To sell her supplies.
(b) To chase after the chaplain.
(c) To find Eilif.
(d) To send a letter.
6. Instead of bells, what will there be at the commander's funeral?
(b) Live music.
(c) Gun shots.
7. What does the chaplain call the cook?
(a) A wizard.
(b) A Don Juan.
(c) A coward.
(d) A fool.
8. Why do the soldiers come to the peasants' farmhouse late at night?
(a) To get directions.
(b) To surrender.
(c) To find their friend.
(d) To ask for food.
9. Why couldn't Kattrin pull the cart by herself?
(a) People will take advantage of her.
(b) War terrifies her.
(c) She is bad with directions.
(d) She is too weak.
10. Why does Mother Courage leave the farmhouse at the end of the play?
(a) To pray for Swiss Cheese.
(b) To go back to business.
(c) To find food.
(d) To escape a bounty hunter.
11. Why won't they ring bells for the commander's funeral?
(a) They destroyed the bells.
(b) He hated bells.
(c) He doesn't deserve them.
(d) Bells sound too celebratory.
12. Why does Kattrin go to the roof?
(a) To look at stars.
(b) To get some perspective.
(c) To jump off.
(d) To warn the peasants.
13. Before she leaves the peasants' farmhouse, what does Mother Courage get for Kattrin from the wagon?
(a) Her doll.
(c) Fresh clothes.
(d) A cloth.
14. What does the cook try to exchange for dinner?
15. In the chaplain's opinion, wars can look forward to ________ futures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does it mean that there are no lights on in the parson's house?
2. What does Mother Courage not know at the end of the play?
3. How does Mother Courage see the chaplain?
4. How does Yvette look after all these years when she rejoins Mother Courage?
5. Where is Mother Courage going at the end of the play?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)