|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the background noise at the beginning of Scene 12?
(a) Crying families.
(b) Troops drums.
(d) Peasants' songs.
2. Where have we heard the song the soldiers sing at the very end of the play?
(a) When Swiss Cheese died.
(b) When Mother Courage first appears in the play.
(c) When she said goodbye to the cook.
(d) When she thought there was peace.
3. A soldier tells Kattrin if she comes down from the roof and takes them to her mother, they will ______________.
(a) Spare her mother.
(b) Give her money.
(c) Kill the cattle.
(d) Find her a new family.
4. Why does the commander die?
(a) He was in the front lines.
(b) He was assassinated.
(c) He killed himself.
(d) It was an accident.
5. Why can't Kattrin come to the inn?
(a) Her father will come looking for her.
(b) She doesn't want to leave the cart.
(c) There is no room.
(d) She steals.
6. Why is Mother Courage encouraged to leave the farmhouse quickly and not stay with Kattrin's body?
(a) The peasants are angry.
(b) She is very rude.
(c) Soldiers are coming.
(d) It's getting dark.
7. Why does Mother Courage give the peasants money before she leaves Kattrin's body with them?
(a) To bury Kattrin.
(b) For food.
(c) To keep them quiet.
(d) For their trouble.
8. What is Mother Courage's last line?
(a) "All's well that ends well".
(b) "Back to business."
(c) "Nothing can stop me".
(d) "Take me with you".
9. How does Mother Courage feel about moving on?
(a) She's sad.
(b) She's reluctant.
(c) She'll manage.
(d) She's happy.
10. Why won't they ring bells for the commander's funeral?
(a) He hated bells.
(b) He doesn't deserve them.
(c) They destroyed the bells.
(d) Bells sound too celebratory.
11. Before she leaves the peasants' farmhouse, what does Mother Courage get for Kattrin from the wagon?
(a) A cloth.
(c) Fresh clothes.
(d) Her doll.
12. In the chaplain's opinion, where do commanders grow?
(a) At home.
(b) In the heart.
(c) In the ground.
(d) On trees.
13. Why do Mother Courage, Kattrin, and the cook stop at the parson's house?
(a) He has food.
(b) They can sleep there.
(c) He knows where Eilif is.
(d) He will give them directions.
14. Why has the cook come back to Mother Courage when peace is declared?
(a) He loves her.
(b) He is broke.
(c) He is lonely.
(d) He's a spy.
15. What does Mother Courage sing to Kattrin's body?
(a) A prayer.
(b) A dance song.
(c) A war song.
(d) A lullaby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are men doing instead of going to the commander's funeral?
2. What does the voice from the house offer to the cook?
3. How does Mother Courage see the chaplain?
4. What does Mother Courage promise to Kattrin when there is peace?
5. The first soldier threatens that he will kill the cattle if the peasants are not ______.
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)