|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why should the cook talk quietly when he is talking to Mother Courage about the inn?
(a) So Kattrin can't hear him.
(b) So he doesn't wake the parson.
(c) Because he has an annoying voice.
(d) Because Kattrin is trying to sleep.
2. Mother Courage says that she still has _______, which gives her hope to carry on.
(a) A husband.
(d) Swiss Cheese.
3. The peasant woman calls Kattrin a ______ when she tells her to stop drumming.
4. The chaplain has _____ feelings for Mother Courage.
5. Why won't the clerk go to the commander's funeral?
(a) Because he can't find a ride.
(b) Because of the rain.
(c) Because he is forbidden to.
(d) Because he didn't like the commander.
6. What does Mother Courage sing to Kattrin's body?
(a) A prayer.
(b) A war song.
(c) A dance song.
(d) A lullaby.
7. How long ago had the war stopped when Mother Courage's group is informed that peace is declared?
(a) A few days.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Just this morning.
(d) A month.
8. Why is the cook angry with the chaplain when he returns?
(a) He is flirting with Mother Courage.
(b) He told Mother Courage to buy supplies.
(c) He is a thief.
(d) He is trying to marry Kattrin.
9. Why do Mother Courage, Kattrin, and the cook stop at the parson's house?
(a) He knows where Eilif is.
(b) They can sleep there.
(c) He has food.
(d) He will give them directions.
10. Instead of going with the cook to the inn, what does Mother Courage do at the end of Scene 9?
(a) Steals the cook's money.
(b) Politely declines his offer.
(c) Gives Kattrin to him.
(d) Abandons the cook.
11. Why is Mother Courage encouraged to leave the farmhouse quickly and not stay with Kattrin's body?
(a) The peasants are angry.
(b) It's getting dark.
(c) She is very rude.
(d) Soldiers are coming.
12. Why has the cook come back to Mother Courage when peace is declared?
(a) He is broke.
(b) He is lonely.
(c) He loves her.
(d) He's a spy.
13. In the chaplain's opinion, where do commanders grow?
(a) In the ground.
(b) At home.
(c) In the heart.
(d) On trees.
14. Why won't the young peasant help the soldiers in Scene 11?
(a) They are Catholic.
(b) They will wake the baby.
(c) They didn't ask nicely.
(d) They smell bad.
15. Why doesn't Mother Courage want peace?
(a) She doesn't want to see Eilif.
(b) She doesn't want Kattrin to get married.
(c) She just bought supplies.
(d) She is bored in peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of being dead, Mother Courage insists that Kattrin is ______.
2. Why hasn't the watchman sounded the alarm?
3. How does Yvette look after all these years when she rejoins Mother Courage?
4. What is Mother Courage finally tired of after traveling with the army for so long?
5. Mother Courage says it's _______ everyone is missing the commander's funeral.
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)