|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the voice from the house offer to the cook?
(c) A place to sleep.
(d) Clean clothes.
2. Why does Mother Courage leave the farmhouse at the end of the play?
(a) To pray for Swiss Cheese.
(b) To go back to business.
(c) To find food.
(d) To escape a bounty hunter.
3. Why does the chaplain hesitate to put on his pastor's coat?
(a) He might be seen as the antichrist.
(b) He doesn't want to go back to religious life.
(c) It smells bad.
(d) He thinks it's cursed.
4. Why won't the clerk go to the commander's funeral?
(a) Because of the rain.
(b) Because he is forbidden to.
(c) Because he can't find a ride.
(d) Because he didn't like the commander.
5. How does Mother Courage feel about moving on?
(a) She's happy.
(b) She's reluctant.
(c) She's sad.
(d) She'll manage.
6. What are men doing instead of going to the commander's funeral?
7. What song does the cook sing to the parson?
(a) The Song of the Great Souls of the Earth.
(b) The Song of the Wise Woman and the Soldier.
(c) The Song of Mother Courage.
(d) The Song of Great Capitulation.
8. A peasant claims Kattrin would still be alive if ____________.
(a) Eilif was still alive.
(b) The soldiers hadn't come.
(c) They hadn't told her about the children.
(d) Mother Courage hadn't gone to town.
9. Why do the poor need courage?
(a) They're lost.
(b) They're doomed.
(c) They're going to fight.
(d) They're weak.
10. Where have we heard the song the soldiers sing at the very end of the play?
(a) When she thought there was peace.
(b) When she said goodbye to the cook.
(c) When Swiss Cheese died.
(d) When Mother Courage first appears in the play.
11. Why doesn't Mother Courage want peace?
(a) She doesn't want to see Eilif.
(b) She is bored in peace.
(c) She doesn't want Kattrin to get married.
(d) She just bought supplies.
12. Who passes by the farmhouse and Mother Courage follows and exits for the last time?
(a) Some priests.
(b) A regiment.
(c) A man she recognizes.
(d) A family.
13. Why is Eilif being killed?
(a) He attacked peasants.
(b) He is a lazy soldier.
(c) He's a traitor.
(d) He stole the Chief's wife.
14. Why won't the young peasant help the soldiers in Scene 11?
(a) They smell bad.
(b) They didn't ask nicely.
(c) They will wake the baby.
(d) They are Catholic.
15. How does the cook propose that he and Mother Courage call to the parson?
(a) They knock on his door.
(b) They sing.
(c) They scream.
(d) They drum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes with Mother Courage as she continues on at the end of the play?
2. Why does Mother Courage give the peasants money before she leaves Kattrin's body with them?
3. In Scene 10, Mother Courage and Kattrin stop at a ______ to listen to a woman sing.
4. What does Mother Courage live off of?
5. What does Mother Courage not know at the end of the play?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)