|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Colin feel when Ford tells him about his impending fate?
2. What do Ford and Arthur do when they arrive on Earth?
3. What food do the aliens feed Tricia?
4. To whom is the parcel that the robot drone delivers to Arthur addressed?
5. Where does Random throw Arthur's watch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the owner of the spaceship that Ford tries to buy tell him?
2. Why doesn't Arthur's watch tell the right time?
3. What is odd about the Perfectly Normal Beast?
4. How does Arthur use Ford's towel to attract a Perfectly Normal Beast?
5. How is the Earth finally destroyed?
6. How does the new Guide arrange a spaceship to come?
7. What worries Ford about what's happened during his visit to the Guide?
8. Why is Random fascinated by Arthur's watch?
9. What does the new Guide demonstrate with a laser and the rain?
10. Describe how the Sandwich Maker makes a sandwich.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mostly Harmless is a humorous novel. Discuss the author's humor and how he uses humor in the novel.
1) What kinds of humor does the author use? How are the characters, situations, and ideas in the novel humorous?
2) How does the ending, and the destruction of Earth, fit in with the humorous nature of the novel?
3) What kinds of liberties does humor allow the author to take? How does humor allow the author to create wildly improbable situations and events?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the new Guide, its abilities, and its implications in the novel.
1) Why is Ford so concerned about the new Guide and its capabilities?
2) What is the new Guide? How does it operate, and why is it dangerous technology? Why does the Hitchhiker's Guide office want to develop this technology?
3) How is the Guide different from the normal characters that populate the universe? How is it different from objects, machines, and robots? Is it a being, a machine, or something else?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss communication in the novel.
1) What types of failures of communication appear in the novel? How do Ford and Arthur fail to communicate with each other?
2) How do Arthur and Random fail to communicate with each other? Why does Random have such difficulty communicating?
3) What is the relationship between differing perspectives and failed communication in the novel?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)