|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the new Guide transform into when it opens itself?
2. What do Ford and Arthur do when they arrive on Earth?
3. What does Arthur believe will happen to him on Stavromula Beta?
4. Where does Arthur put the parcel?
5. What unusual item does Ford try to buy with his credit card after landing on Earth?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Random's character.
1) How is Random incomplete as a person? Why does she lack a sense of belonging and identity? How does this affect her personality?
2) What is the meaning of Random's name? What role does randomness and chance play in her existence?
3) Why does Random react the way she does to her mother, her father, the Guide, Tricia, and Earth? Why does she need to open the package from Ford? Why does she need to take apart Arthur's watch?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss communication in the novel.
1) What types of failures of communication appear in the novel? How do Ford and Arthur fail to communicate with each other?
2) How do Arthur and Random fail to communicate with each other? Why does Random have such difficulty communicating?
3) What is the relationship between differing perspectives and failed communication in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dangers of technological exploration in the novel.
1) What are the dangers of the innate desire to explore and try new things? How does this affect the universe through the development of time travel and space travel in the novel?
2) How does the new Guide represent the dangers of technological exploration?
3) How does NowWhat relate to the dangers of technological exploration?
This section contains 1,707 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)