|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How wide is the charging herd of Perfectly Normal Beasts?
2. What animals do not react to the arrival of the spaceship?
3. What does Arthur believe will happen to him on Stavromula Beta?
4. What does Ford plan to use to buy the spaceship?
5. How many days are there in a year on Lamuella?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the new Guide demonstrate with a laser and the rain?
2. Why doesn't Arthur's watch tell the right time?
3. How does the interview between Tricia and Random go?
4. Describe how the Sandwich Maker makes a sandwich.
5. What sort of review does Ford give the Bar & Grill?
6. What does Tricia learn when she calls her television station from the editing booth?
7. How does Ford get the new Guide out of the Guide offices?
8. Why is Tricia upset by the video footage she has brought back from her trip into space?
9. What is odd about the Perfectly Normal Beast?
10. What does Random find at the crash site?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the new Guide, its abilities, and its implications in the novel.
1) Why is Ford so concerned about the new Guide and its capabilities?
2) What is the new Guide? How does it operate, and why is it dangerous technology? Why does the Hitchhiker's Guide office want to develop this technology?
3) How is the Guide different from the normal characters that populate the universe? How is it different from objects, machines, and robots? Is it a being, a machine, or something else?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dangers of technological exploration in the novel.
1) What are the dangers of the innate desire to explore and try new things? How does this affect the universe through the development of time travel and space travel in the novel?
2) How does the new Guide represent the dangers of technological exploration?
3) How does NowWhat relate to the dangers of technological exploration?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss social satire in the novel.
1) How does the Guide and its offices serve as social satire? How does it represent large corporations in the real world? How does the story of the failed air control system for offices compare to this satire, as a social satire of technology?
2) How do the Vogons function as social satire? What types of people and organizations do they satire? How is bureaucracy depicted?
3) What other elements of social satire are present in the novel?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)