|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Random do when Ford begs her not to steal his ship and leave him alone in the forest with a head injury?
2. To whom is the parcel that the robot drone delivers to Arthur addressed?
3. How wide is the charging herd of Perfectly Normal Beasts?
4. What is Tricia's camera pointing at when the spacecraft she is on lands on Rupert?
5. After Trillian left Random with Arthur, what story did she go to cover?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ford react when he first sees a pikka bird?
2. What does the new Guide demonstrate with a laser and the rain?
3. How does Arthur use Ford's towel to attract a Perfectly Normal Beast?
4. How does the interview between Tricia and Random go?
5. What does the man who accosts Ford and Arthur when they enter the London club say?
6. Why is Ford worried about the new Guide?
7. Why doesn't Arthur's watch tell the right time?
8. What sort of review does Ford give the Bar & Grill?
9. Describe how the Sandwich Maker makes a sandwich.
10. Describe the monument that marks the location where the species Vogon Vogonblurtus first appeared.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of fate and free will in the novel.
1) Do the characters in the novel have free will? Do their circumstances and personalities force them into specific roles and choices?
2) Does the existence of the new Guide eliminate free will?
3) How does the existence of multiple dimensions, representing different potential realities, relate to fate and free will? If all possibilities exist, is there any real choice or free will?
Essay Topic 2
Tricia and Trillian are two possible lives of one person. Discuss Tricia and Trillian in the novel.
1) How are Tricia and Trillian similar? How are they different? What does this say about the effect of external factors on personality and identity?
2) What roles do randomness and chance play in Tricia and Trillian's fate? What does this say about the nature of randomness and chance?
3) How would Tricia and Trillian react to each other if they met and got a chance to interact? What would they think of each other?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss language in the novel and the author's use of language.
1) How does the author play with language? How does the author create humor by manipulating language?
2) How does the author use irony in the novel? What other types of figurative language does the author use?
3) How does the author use naming and terminology in the book? What is the significance of the names of planets, objects, scientific ideas, and characters?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)