|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What astrological sign is the Grebulon leader?
2. What does Tricia make a model of on the alien computer system on Rupert?
3. What happens as Random turns on her flashlight?
4. Where does Random go to open the parcel?
5. What does Old Thrashbarg shout after Ford and Arthur as they ride off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Mostly Harmless, multiple dimensions or possible universes are converging and crossing over into each other. The characters deal with the full range of possibilities. Discuss multiple dimensions in the novel.
1) What is the WSOGMM? Why is this idea important to the novel?
2) Why is it difficult or impossible for any one person to comprehend the totality of dimensions or universes? Why is it dangerous for the Guide to comprehend everything?
3) How do multiple potential possibilities affect the characters in the novel? How does the existence of multiple potential possibilities allow the new Guide to manipulate reality?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Random's character.
1) How is Random incomplete as a person? Why does she lack a sense of belonging and identity? How does this affect her personality?
2) What is the meaning of Random's name? What role does randomness and chance play in her existence?
3) Why does Random react the way she does to her mother, her father, the Guide, Tricia, and Earth? Why does she need to open the package from Ford? Why does she need to take apart Arthur's watch?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the limitations of knowledge in the novel.
1) How does identity and perspective limit knowledge in the novel?
2) How do the limitations of knowledge doom the characters to being unsuccessful in stopping the new Guide from achieving its goal?
3) In what ways are limitations of knowledge good and bad in the novel?
This section contains 1,685 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)