|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ford find he understands intense multi-dimensional logic best?
2. For whom does Trillian say they have reintroduced the death penalty?
3. What does Ford order that Arthur doesn't want to eat?
4. What is Tricia's camera pointing at when the spacecraft she is on lands on Rupert?
5. What do Ford and Arthur do after they give up trying to catch a beast's attention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss identity in the novel.
1) How do Tricia and Trillian, as two aspects of the same person, exemplify what creates identity?
2) How does Random, as a person who feels without an identity, exemplify what creates identity?
3) What does limited perspective have to do with identity? How does a sense of belonging and a place in the universe relate to identity?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the limitations of knowledge in the novel.
1) How does identity and perspective limit knowledge in the novel?
2) How do the limitations of knowledge doom the characters to being unsuccessful in stopping the new Guide from achieving its goal?
3) In what ways are limitations of knowledge good and bad in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss chance and randomness in the novel.
1) How does chance and randomness affect the Earth and its different possibilities in different dimensions?
2) How does the existence of the new Guide destroy chance and randomness?
3) How does chance and randomness affect the characters, for good or ill, in the story?
This section contains 1,701 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)