|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will take over Arthur's sandwich-making after he leaves?
2. How fast do the Perfectly Normal beasts travel?
3. How long do Ford and Arthur spend trying to catch the attention of a Perfectly Normal Beast?
4. How does Colin feel when Ford tells him about his impending fate?
5. What does the new Guide test first, with Random?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Random find at the crash site?
2. What does Tricia learn when she calls her television station from the editing booth?
3. What comes out of the trees toward Random, as she goes through the woods?
4. How is the Earth finally destroyed?
5. What is odd about the Perfectly Normal Beast?
6. Why is Random fascinated by Arthur's watch?
7. What does the man who accosts Ford and Arthur when they enter the London club say?
8. Why is Tricia upset by the video footage she has brought back from her trip into space?
9. How does Ford react when he first sees a pikka bird?
10. How does Ford get the new Guide out of the Guide offices?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mostly Harmless is a humorous novel. Discuss the author's humor and how he uses humor in the novel.
1) What kinds of humor does the author use? How are the characters, situations, and ideas in the novel humorous?
2) How does the ending, and the destruction of Earth, fit in with the humorous nature of the novel?
3) What kinds of liberties does humor allow the author to take? How does humor allow the author to create wildly improbable situations and events?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Random's character.
1) How is Random incomplete as a person? Why does she lack a sense of belonging and identity? How does this affect her personality?
2) What is the meaning of Random's name? What role does randomness and chance play in her existence?
3) Why does Random react the way she does to her mother, her father, the Guide, Tricia, and Earth? Why does she need to open the package from Ford? Why does she need to take apart Arthur's watch?
Essay Topic 3
Tricia and Trillian are two possible lives of one person. Discuss Tricia and Trillian in the novel.
1) How are Tricia and Trillian similar? How are they different? What does this say about the effect of external factors on personality and identity?
2) What roles do randomness and chance play in Tricia and Trillian's fate? What does this say about the nature of randomness and chance?
3) How would Tricia and Trillian react to each other if they met and got a chance to interact? What would they think of each other?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)