|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days are there in a year on Lamuella?
2. What causes Arthur to start running toward where he believes Random is?
3. What does the new Guide test first, with Random?
4. How does Random respond when the Guide offers to stop saying potentially offensive words?
5. What type of solution does Ford look for, to get himself and the Guide out of the thirteenth floor of the Guide offices?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the owner of the spaceship that Ford tries to buy tell him?
2. What is odd about the Perfectly Normal Beast?
3. What comes out of the trees toward Random, as she goes through the woods?
4. What do Ford and Arthur talk about as they ride the Perfectly Normal Beast away?
5. Describe how the Sandwich Maker makes a sandwich.
6. What sort of review does Ford give the Bar & Grill?
7. What does Tricia learn when she calls her television station from the editing booth?
8. What worries Ford about what's happened during his visit to the Guide?
9. Why is Ford worried about the new Guide?
10. How does Ford get the new Guide out of the Guide offices?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss language in the novel and the author's use of language.
1) How does the author play with language? How does the author create humor by manipulating language?
2) How does the author use irony in the novel? What other types of figurative language does the author use?
3) How does the author use naming and terminology in the book? What is the significance of the names of planets, objects, scientific ideas, and characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss chance and randomness in the novel.
1) How does chance and randomness affect the Earth and its different possibilities in different dimensions?
2) How does the existence of the new Guide destroy chance and randomness?
3) How does chance and randomness affect the characters, for good or ill, in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Mostly Harmless is a humorous novel. Discuss the author's humor and how he uses humor in the novel.
1) What kinds of humor does the author use? How are the characters, situations, and ideas in the novel humorous?
2) How does the ending, and the destruction of Earth, fit in with the humorous nature of the novel?
3) What kinds of liberties does humor allow the author to take? How does humor allow the author to create wildly improbable situations and events?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)