|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the new Guide transform into when it opens itself?
2. What does Arthur believe will happen to him on Stavromula Beta?
3. How fast do the Perfectly Normal beasts travel?
4. What creates the signal that Ford homes in on to arrive at the planet?
5. When Ford, Arthur, Tricia, Trillian, and Random all meet at the club, who is holding a gun?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ford react when he first sees a pikka bird?
2. How is the Earth finally destroyed?
3. How does the interview between Tricia and Random go?
4. What is odd about the Perfectly Normal Beast?
5. What does Tricia learn when she calls her television station from the editing booth?
6. What do Ford and Arthur talk about as they ride the Perfectly Normal Beast away?
7. What comes out of the trees toward Random, as she goes through the woods?
8. How does Arthur use Ford's towel to attract a Perfectly Normal Beast?
9. How does Ford suggest getting off Arthur's new home planet?
10. How was Ford saved the second time he jumped out the window of the Guide building?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ability to discover and perceive truth in the novel.
1) How do the limitations of knowledge and perception affect the ability to discover truth in the novel? How does it affect Tricia's ability to share her knowledge of the existence of aliens?
2) How is Ford's desire to find out the truth behind the new Guide inhibited by the limits of knowledge and perception?
3) Why are characters in the novel unwilling to try to discover truth? Why do scientists find truth muddled and confusing? Why do characters like the Lamuellans not want to delve into mysteries like the Perfectly Normal Beasts?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the limitations of knowledge in the novel.
1) How does identity and perspective limit knowledge in the novel?
2) How do the limitations of knowledge doom the characters to being unsuccessful in stopping the new Guide from achieving its goal?
3) In what ways are limitations of knowledge good and bad in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss communication in the novel.
1) What types of failures of communication appear in the novel? How do Ford and Arthur fail to communicate with each other?
2) How do Arthur and Random fail to communicate with each other? Why does Random have such difficulty communicating?
3) What is the relationship between differing perspectives and failed communication in the novel?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)