|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Random go to open the parcel?
2. What does Old Thrashbarg shout after Ford and Arthur as they ride off?
3. What quality does the new Guide have that causes it to be in every possible universe?
4. What is the color of the eye-catching spaceship parked in front of the Bar & Grill?
5. Where does Ford find he understands intense multi-dimensional logic best?
Short Essay Questions
1. What worries Ford about what's happened during his visit to the Guide?
2. Why is Tricia upset by the video footage she has brought back from her trip into space?
3. What does Random find at the crash site?
4. Why is Ford worried about the new Guide?
5. How does Arthur use Ford's towel to attract a Perfectly Normal Beast?
6. How was Ford saved the second time he jumped out the window of the Guide building?
7. How does the interview between Tricia and Random go?
8. What is odd about the Perfectly Normal Beast?
9. How does Ford suggest getting off Arthur's new home planet?
10. What sort of review does Ford give the Bar & Grill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is science fiction and extensively uses science ideas and concepts. Discuss the role of science in the novel.
1) What scientific concepts does the author use in the novel? What types of scientific ideas does he emphasize?
2) What is the author's view of science? How is science positive and negative? How do the characters view science and technology?
3) How does the novel fit into the science fiction genre?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss chance and randomness in the novel.
1) How does chance and randomness affect the Earth and its different possibilities in different dimensions?
2) How does the existence of the new Guide destroy chance and randomness?
3) How does chance and randomness affect the characters, for good or ill, in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss happiness in the novel.
1) What creates happiness in the novel? Are the factors that contribute to happiness internal or external?
2) How do personality and identity contribute to happiness in the novel?
3) What is the relationship between happiness and belonging in the novel?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)