|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Arthur think named the Perfectly Normal Beast?
2. What happens as Random turns on her flashlight?
3. What is the color of the eye-catching spaceship parked in front of the Bar & Grill?
4. What quality does the new Guide have that causes it to be in every possible universe?
5. How long do Ford and Arthur spend trying to catch the attention of a Perfectly Normal Beast?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ford get the new Guide out of the Guide offices?
2. How does Arthur use Ford's towel to attract a Perfectly Normal Beast?
3. Why doesn't Arthur's watch tell the right time?
4. How does Ford react when he first sees a pikka bird?
5. Describe the monument that marks the location where the species Vogon Vogonblurtus first appeared.
6. What does Tricia learn when she calls her television station from the editing booth?
7. How is the Earth finally destroyed?
8. Describe how the Sandwich Maker makes a sandwich.
9. What sort of review does Ford give the Bar & Grill?
10. What comes out of the trees toward Random, as she goes through the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss chance and randomness in the novel.
1) How does chance and randomness affect the Earth and its different possibilities in different dimensions?
2) How does the existence of the new Guide destroy chance and randomness?
3) How does chance and randomness affect the characters, for good or ill, in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of fate and free will in the novel.
1) Do the characters in the novel have free will? Do their circumstances and personalities force them into specific roles and choices?
2) Does the existence of the new Guide eliminate free will?
3) How does the existence of multiple dimensions, representing different potential realities, relate to fate and free will? If all possibilities exist, is there any real choice or free will?
Essay Topic 3
In Mostly Harmless, multiple dimensions or possible universes are converging and crossing over into each other. The characters deal with the full range of possibilities. Discuss multiple dimensions in the novel.
1) What is the WSOGMM? Why is this idea important to the novel?
2) Why is it difficult or impossible for any one person to comprehend the totality of dimensions or universes? Why is it dangerous for the Guide to comprehend everything?
3) How do multiple potential possibilities affect the characters in the novel? How does the existence of multiple potential possibilities allow the new Guide to manipulate reality?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)