|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Grebulons generally do on long spaceflights?
2. How does Arthur react when Ford tells him the Guide has been bought out?
3. What does the new Guide transform into when it opens itself?
4. What illusion does Random walk through in the woods?
5. How many knives does the Sandwich Maker use?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ford get the new Guide out of the Guide offices?
2. What sort of review does Ford give the Bar & Grill?
3. What does Random find at the crash site?
4. Why doesn't Arthur's watch tell the right time?
5. How does Arthur use Ford's towel to attract a Perfectly Normal Beast?
6. Why is Random fascinated by Arthur's watch?
7. What is odd about the Perfectly Normal Beast?
8. How does Ford suggest getting off Arthur's new home planet?
9. What do Ford and Arthur talk about as they ride the Perfectly Normal Beast away?
10. How does the new Guide arrange a spaceship to come?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Mostly Harmless, multiple dimensions or possible universes are converging and crossing over into each other. The characters deal with the full range of possibilities. Discuss multiple dimensions in the novel.
1) What is the WSOGMM? Why is this idea important to the novel?
2) Why is it difficult or impossible for any one person to comprehend the totality of dimensions or universes? Why is it dangerous for the Guide to comprehend everything?
3) How do multiple potential possibilities affect the characters in the novel? How does the existence of multiple potential possibilities allow the new Guide to manipulate reality?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in the novel seek a sense of belonging. Discuss belonging in the novel.
1) What causes characters in the novel to feel a sense of belonging or a lack of belonging?
2) Why does Arthur try to seek out Earth? How does he try to find a sense of belonging after failing? What allows him to finally find a sense of belonging?
3) How does Random seek a sense of belonging? How does Arthur's watch provide a possibility of belonging?
4) How does Trillian seek a sense of belonging? How does Tricia seek a sense of belonging, and how does she lack one, even though she is still on Earth?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss chance and randomness in the novel.
1) How does chance and randomness affect the Earth and its different possibilities in different dimensions?
2) How does the existence of the new Guide destroy chance and randomness?
3) How does chance and randomness affect the characters, for good or ill, in the story?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)