|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will take over Arthur's sandwich-making after he leaves?
2. Where does Arthur put the parcel?
3. What animals do not react to the arrival of the spaceship?
4. What does Ford say that one could buy with the amount he pays at the Bar & Grill?
5. What does Ford say will probably happen to Colin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the interview between Tricia and Random go?
2. How does Arthur use Ford's towel to attract a Perfectly Normal Beast?
3. How is the Earth finally destroyed?
4. What comes out of the trees toward Random, as she goes through the woods?
5. What sort of review does Ford give the Bar & Grill?
6. What does Random find at the crash site?
7. How does Ford suggest getting off Arthur's new home planet?
8. What does the owner of the spaceship that Ford tries to buy tell him?
9. How does the new Guide arrange a spaceship to come?
10. Describe how the Sandwich Maker makes a sandwich.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Mostly Harmless, multiple dimensions or possible universes are converging and crossing over into each other. The characters deal with the full range of possibilities. Discuss multiple dimensions in the novel.
1) What is the WSOGMM? Why is this idea important to the novel?
2) Why is it difficult or impossible for any one person to comprehend the totality of dimensions or universes? Why is it dangerous for the Guide to comprehend everything?
3) How do multiple potential possibilities affect the characters in the novel? How does the existence of multiple potential possibilities allow the new Guide to manipulate reality?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is science fiction and extensively uses science ideas and concepts. Discuss the role of science in the novel.
1) What scientific concepts does the author use in the novel? What types of scientific ideas does he emphasize?
2) What is the author's view of science? How is science positive and negative? How do the characters view science and technology?
3) How does the novel fit into the science fiction genre?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Random's character.
1) How is Random incomplete as a person? Why does she lack a sense of belonging and identity? How does this affect her personality?
2) What is the meaning of Random's name? What role does randomness and chance play in her existence?
3) Why does Random react the way she does to her mother, her father, the Guide, Tricia, and Earth? Why does she need to open the package from Ford? Why does she need to take apart Arthur's watch?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)