|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Arthur finds Random at his hut, what does she say to him?
2. In what area of London is Tricia's video editing suite?
3. What creates the signal that Ford homes in on to arrive at the planet?
4. How does the barman respond to the size of the tip Ford wants to leave the singer at the Bar & Grill?
5. What causes Arthur to start running toward where he believes Random is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ford react when he first sees a pikka bird?
2. What worries Ford about what's happened during his visit to the Guide?
3. How does the new Guide arrange a spaceship to come?
4. What is odd about the Perfectly Normal Beast?
5. What does the man who accosts Ford and Arthur when they enter the London club say?
6. What comes out of the trees toward Random, as she goes through the woods?
7. What sort of review does Ford give the Bar & Grill?
8. How does Ford get the new Guide out of the Guide offices?
9. Why doesn't Arthur's watch tell the right time?
10. What does Random find at the crash site?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the new Guide, its abilities, and its implications in the novel.
1) Why is Ford so concerned about the new Guide and its capabilities?
2) What is the new Guide? How does it operate, and why is it dangerous technology? Why does the Hitchhiker's Guide office want to develop this technology?
3) How is the Guide different from the normal characters that populate the universe? How is it different from objects, machines, and robots? Is it a being, a machine, or something else?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Random's character.
1) How is Random incomplete as a person? Why does she lack a sense of belonging and identity? How does this affect her personality?
2) What is the meaning of Random's name? What role does randomness and chance play in her existence?
3) Why does Random react the way she does to her mother, her father, the Guide, Tricia, and Earth? Why does she need to open the package from Ford? Why does she need to take apart Arthur's watch?
Essay Topic 3
In Mostly Harmless, multiple dimensions or possible universes are converging and crossing over into each other. The characters deal with the full range of possibilities. Discuss multiple dimensions in the novel.
1) What is the WSOGMM? Why is this idea important to the novel?
2) Why is it difficult or impossible for any one person to comprehend the totality of dimensions or universes? Why is it dangerous for the Guide to comprehend everything?
3) How do multiple potential possibilities affect the characters in the novel? How does the existence of multiple potential possibilities allow the new Guide to manipulate reality?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)