|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Arthur put the parcel?
2. What does the new Guide transform into when it opens itself?
3. What does Random do when Ford begs her not to steal his ship and leave him alone in the forest with a head injury?
4. What does Ford say that one could buy with the amount he pays at the Bar & Grill?
5. What food do the aliens feed Tricia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of review does Ford give the Bar & Grill?
2. What does the owner of the spaceship that Ford tries to buy tell him?
3. Describe the monument that marks the location where the species Vogon Vogonblurtus first appeared.
4. How does the new Guide arrange a spaceship to come?
5. What is odd about the Perfectly Normal Beast?
6. What does the new Guide demonstrate with a laser and the rain?
7. What does Random find at the crash site?
8. How was Ford saved the second time he jumped out the window of the Guide building?
9. What does the man who accosts Ford and Arthur when they enter the London club say?
10. Why is Tricia upset by the video footage she has brought back from her trip into space?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss chance and randomness in the novel.
1) How does chance and randomness affect the Earth and its different possibilities in different dimensions?
2) How does the existence of the new Guide destroy chance and randomness?
3) How does chance and randomness affect the characters, for good or ill, in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of being human as it is presented in the novel.
1) How do alien races in the novel emphasize what it means to be human by being different from human beings?
2) How do alien races in the novel emphasize what it means to be human by exhibiting and exaggerating human characteristics?
3) How do Arthur, Tricia, and Random represent the human race in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Mostly Harmless is a humorous novel. Discuss the author's humor and how he uses humor in the novel.
1) What kinds of humor does the author use? How are the characters, situations, and ideas in the novel humorous?
2) How does the ending, and the destruction of Earth, fit in with the humorous nature of the novel?
3) What kinds of liberties does humor allow the author to take? How does humor allow the author to create wildly improbable situations and events?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)