|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do hunters have to do to kill the Perfectly Normal Beasts for food?
2. What does Old Thrashberg say is needed to attract the attention of a Perfectly Normal Beast?
3. In what area of London is Tricia's video editing suite?
4. Where does Old Thrashbarg say the Perfectly Normal Beasts come from?
5. What does Old Thrashberg say life will be like without Arthur?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ford get the new Guide out of the Guide offices?
2. How is the Earth finally destroyed?
3. What do Ford and Arthur talk about as they ride the Perfectly Normal Beast away?
4. Describe how the Sandwich Maker makes a sandwich.
5. Why doesn't Arthur's watch tell the right time?
6. What does Tricia learn when she calls her television station from the editing booth?
7. What does the owner of the spaceship that Ford tries to buy tell him?
8. What worries Ford about what's happened during his visit to the Guide?
9. What is odd about the Perfectly Normal Beast?
10. How does Ford suggest getting off Arthur's new home planet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Random's character.
1) How is Random incomplete as a person? Why does she lack a sense of belonging and identity? How does this affect her personality?
2) What is the meaning of Random's name? What role does randomness and chance play in her existence?
3) Why does Random react the way she does to her mother, her father, the Guide, Tricia, and Earth? Why does she need to open the package from Ford? Why does she need to take apart Arthur's watch?
Essay Topic 2
Tricia and Trillian are two possible lives of one person. Discuss Tricia and Trillian in the novel.
1) How are Tricia and Trillian similar? How are they different? What does this say about the effect of external factors on personality and identity?
2) What roles do randomness and chance play in Tricia and Trillian's fate? What does this say about the nature of randomness and chance?
3) How would Tricia and Trillian react to each other if they met and got a chance to interact? What would they think of each other?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss identity in the novel.
1) How do Tricia and Trillian, as two aspects of the same person, exemplify what creates identity?
2) How does Random, as a person who feels without an identity, exemplify what creates identity?
3) What does limited perspective have to do with identity? How does a sense of belonging and a place in the universe relate to identity?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)