|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the new Guide test first, with Random?
2. For whom does Trillian say they have reintroduced the death penalty?
3. What shape is Colin, the security robot?
4. Whose holographic image does the Guide first project for Random?
5. Where was Random born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ford react when he first sees a pikka bird?
2. How was Ford saved the second time he jumped out the window of the Guide building?
3. How does Arthur use Ford's towel to attract a Perfectly Normal Beast?
4. What is odd about the Perfectly Normal Beast?
5. Why is Ford worried about the new Guide?
6. How does the new Guide arrange a spaceship to come?
7. Describe how the Sandwich Maker makes a sandwich.
8. How does the interview between Tricia and Random go?
9. What do Ford and Arthur talk about as they ride the Perfectly Normal Beast away?
10. How is the Earth finally destroyed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss chance and randomness in the novel.
1) How does chance and randomness affect the Earth and its different possibilities in different dimensions?
2) How does the existence of the new Guide destroy chance and randomness?
3) How does chance and randomness affect the characters, for good or ill, in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dangers of technological exploration in the novel.
1) What are the dangers of the innate desire to explore and try new things? How does this affect the universe through the development of time travel and space travel in the novel?
2) How does the new Guide represent the dangers of technological exploration?
3) How does NowWhat relate to the dangers of technological exploration?
Essay Topic 3
Tricia and Trillian are two possible lives of one person. Discuss Tricia and Trillian in the novel.
1) How are Tricia and Trillian similar? How are they different? What does this say about the effect of external factors on personality and identity?
2) What roles do randomness and chance play in Tricia and Trillian's fate? What does this say about the nature of randomness and chance?
3) How would Tricia and Trillian react to each other if they met and got a chance to interact? What would they think of each other?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)