|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Arthur finds Random at his hut, what does she say to him?
2. What quality does the new Guide have that causes it to be in every possible universe?
3. When Ford, Arthur, Tricia, Trillian, and Random all meet at the club, who is holding a gun?
4. What do Ford and Arthur do after they give up trying to catch a beast's attention?
5. What does Ford hope to exploit about the Vogons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the Sandwich Maker makes a sandwich.
2. How is the Earth finally destroyed?
3. What does the owner of the spaceship that Ford tries to buy tell him?
4. How does Ford suggest getting off Arthur's new home planet?
5. What comes out of the trees toward Random, as she goes through the woods?
6. What does Random find at the crash site?
7. What do Ford and Arthur talk about as they ride the Perfectly Normal Beast away?
8. What sort of review does Ford give the Bar & Grill?
9. What does the man who accosts Ford and Arthur when they enter the London club say?
10. How does the interview between Tricia and Random go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss social satire in the novel.
1) How does the Guide and its offices serve as social satire? How does it represent large corporations in the real world? How does the story of the failed air control system for offices compare to this satire, as a social satire of technology?
2) How do the Vogons function as social satire? What types of people and organizations do they satire? How is bureaucracy depicted?
3) What other elements of social satire are present in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Mostly Harmless is a humorous novel. Discuss the author's humor and how he uses humor in the novel.
1) What kinds of humor does the author use? How are the characters, situations, and ideas in the novel humorous?
2) How does the ending, and the destruction of Earth, fit in with the humorous nature of the novel?
3) What kinds of liberties does humor allow the author to take? How does humor allow the author to create wildly improbable situations and events?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss happiness in the novel.
1) What creates happiness in the novel? Are the factors that contribute to happiness internal or external?
2) How do personality and identity contribute to happiness in the novel?
3) What is the relationship between happiness and belonging in the novel?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)