|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the new Guide transform into when it opens itself?
2. What does Ford plan to use to buy the spaceship?
3. How long do Ford and Arthur spend trying to catch the attention of a Perfectly Normal Beast?
4. What do the Grebulons generally do on long spaceflights?
5. What middle name does Random give?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss chance and randomness in the novel.
1) How does chance and randomness affect the Earth and its different possibilities in different dimensions?
2) How does the existence of the new Guide destroy chance and randomness?
3) How does chance and randomness affect the characters, for good or ill, in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ability to discover and perceive truth in the novel.
1) How do the limitations of knowledge and perception affect the ability to discover truth in the novel? How does it affect Tricia's ability to share her knowledge of the existence of aliens?
2) How is Ford's desire to find out the truth behind the new Guide inhibited by the limits of knowledge and perception?
3) Why are characters in the novel unwilling to try to discover truth? Why do scientists find truth muddled and confusing? Why do characters like the Lamuellans not want to delve into mysteries like the Perfectly Normal Beasts?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss identity in the novel.
1) How do Tricia and Trillian, as two aspects of the same person, exemplify what creates identity?
2) How does Random, as a person who feels without an identity, exemplify what creates identity?
3) What does limited perspective have to do with identity? How does a sense of belonging and a place in the universe relate to identity?
This section contains 1,677 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)