|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The character in the alien book Arthur reads dies of _______________.
2. How high are the poles in the village of poles that Arthur goes to?
3. What does Ford use to open the window?
4. What does Artur's bellhop look like?
5. How do the aliens say Tricia looks different in real life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Arthur the sole survivor of the space ship crash?
2. What does the Hitch Hiker's Guide do to areas where it sets up its offices?
3. What does Ford say to the armed men who are in the editor's office?
4. How do the aliens on Arthur's new planet physically differ from humans?
5. How was the alien Tricia met at the party disguised?
6. Why are officials unconcerned about Fenchurch's disappearance?
7. Describe the herring sandwich experiment.
8. What does the old lady give to Arthur along with her advice?
9. What does Eric want Tricia to do when she gets home?
10. What major event happened to most other versions of the Earth in other dimensions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mostly Harmless is a humorous novel. Discuss the author's humor and how he uses humor in the novel.
1) What kinds of humor does the author use? How are the characters, situations, and ideas in the novel humorous?
2) How does the ending, and the destruction of Earth, fit in with the humorous nature of the novel?
3) What kinds of liberties does humor allow the author to take? How does humor allow the author to create wildly improbable situations and events?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the new Guide, its abilities, and its implications in the novel.
1) Why is Ford so concerned about the new Guide and its capabilities?
2) What is the new Guide? How does it operate, and why is it dangerous technology? Why does the Hitchhiker's Guide office want to develop this technology?
3) How is the Guide different from the normal characters that populate the universe? How is it different from objects, machines, and robots? Is it a being, a machine, or something else?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss chance and randomness in the novel.
1) How does chance and randomness affect the Earth and its different possibilities in different dimensions?
2) How does the existence of the new Guide destroy chance and randomness?
3) How does chance and randomness affect the characters, for good or ill, in the story?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)