|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the shadowy shape Ford sees in the window appear to be like?
2. What was the old decor of the Hitch Hiker's Guide offices like?
3. Why does Ford think the men in the editor's office are from InfiniDim Enterprises?
4. How does Arthur make money to move to a new planet?
5. What does the bellhop say the boghog was trying to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy Mk II look like?
2. What does Ford say to the armed men who are in the editor's office?
3. What does the old lady give to Arthur along with her advice?
4. What problem do the aliens have that they want Tricia's help with?
5. What does the Hitch Hiker's Guide do to areas where it sets up its offices?
6. What animal do the armed men in the editor's office remind Ford of?
7. How does Ford stop himself from falling?
8. Who comes to find out what Ford is doing in the virtual reality?
9. Why is Arthur the sole survivor of the space ship crash?
10. What are Arthur's plans after arriving at NowWhat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the new Guide, its abilities, and its implications in the novel.
1) Why is Ford so concerned about the new Guide and its capabilities?
2) What is the new Guide? How does it operate, and why is it dangerous technology? Why does the Hitchhiker's Guide office want to develop this technology?
3) How is the Guide different from the normal characters that populate the universe? How is it different from objects, machines, and robots? Is it a being, a machine, or something else?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss chance and randomness in the novel.
1) How does chance and randomness affect the Earth and its different possibilities in different dimensions?
2) How does the existence of the new Guide destroy chance and randomness?
3) How does chance and randomness affect the characters, for good or ill, in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss communication in the novel.
1) What types of failures of communication appear in the novel? How do Ford and Arthur fail to communicate with each other?
2) How do Arthur and Random fail to communicate with each other? Why does Random have such difficulty communicating?
3) What is the relationship between differing perspectives and failed communication in the novel?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)