|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What number does the computer's big mental block seem to have something to do with?
2. What do boghogs do to communicate?
3. What does Tricia think the air smells like in New York in fall?
4. What does Gail tell Tricia?
5. The character in the alien book Arthur reads dies of _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ford worried about the new Guide?
2. How does the new Guide arrange a spaceship to come?
3. What problem do the aliens have that they want Tricia's help with?
4. How does the interview between Tricia and Random go?
5. How was Ford saved the second time he jumped out the window of the Guide building?
6. What comes out of the trees toward Random, as she goes through the woods?
7. What does Ford realize is odd about the thirteenth floor of the Guide building?
8. How does Arthur recognize the maps of NowWhat?
9. What concerns Gail about her interview with Tricia?
10. What does the owner of the spaceship that Ford tries to buy tell him?
Essay Topic 1
In Mostly Harmless, multiple dimensions or possible universes are converging and crossing over into each other. The characters deal with the full range of possibilities. Discuss multiple dimensions in the novel.
1) What is the WSOGMM? Why is this idea important to the novel?
2) Why is it difficult or impossible for any one person to comprehend the totality of dimensions or universes? Why is it dangerous for the Guide to comprehend everything?
3) How do multiple potential possibilities affect the characters in the novel? How does the existence of multiple potential possibilities allow the new Guide to manipulate reality?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss happiness in the novel.
1) What creates happiness in the novel? Are the factors that contribute to happiness internal or external?
2) How do personality and identity contribute to happiness in the novel?
3) What is the relationship between happiness and belonging in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss identity in the novel.
1) How do Tricia and Trillian, as two aspects of the same person, exemplify what creates identity?
2) How does Random, as a person who feels without an identity, exemplify what creates identity?
3) What does limited perspective have to do with identity? How does a sense of belonging and a place in the universe relate to identity?
This section contains 2,184 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)