|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tricia fixing herself when she goes outside to see what the strange lights are?
2. Why does Ford think the men in the editor's office are from InfiniDim Enterprises?
3. What is in Arthur's motel room for protection against boghogs?
4. For what does Arthur now mostly use his Hitch Hiker's Guide?
5. How long are the books on the alien world where Arthur settles?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ford get the new Guide out of the Guide offices?
2. What comes out of the trees toward Random, as she goes through the woods?
3. Explain WSOGMM.
4. What does Eric want Tricia to do when she gets home?
5. Describe the herring sandwich experiment.
6. What is odd about the Perfectly Normal Beast?
7. How does Tricia hope to get an audition for the job she wants?
8. What does Ford say to the armed men who are in the editor's office?
9. Why is Random fascinated by Arthur's watch?
10. How does the new Guide arrange a spaceship to come?
Essay Topic 1
In Mostly Harmless, multiple dimensions or possible universes are converging and crossing over into each other. The characters deal with the full range of possibilities. Discuss multiple dimensions in the novel.
1) What is the WSOGMM? Why is this idea important to the novel?
2) Why is it difficult or impossible for any one person to comprehend the totality of dimensions or universes? Why is it dangerous for the Guide to comprehend everything?
3) How do multiple potential possibilities affect the characters in the novel? How does the existence of multiple potential possibilities allow the new Guide to manipulate reality?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss language in the novel and the author's use of language.
1) How does the author play with language? How does the author create humor by manipulating language?
2) How does the author use irony in the novel? What other types of figurative language does the author use?
3) How does the author use naming and terminology in the book? What is the significance of the names of planets, objects, scientific ideas, and characters?
Essay Topic 3
Mostly Harmless is a humorous novel. Discuss the author's humor and how he uses humor in the novel.
1) What kinds of humor does the author use? How are the characters, situations, and ideas in the novel humorous?
2) How does the ending, and the destruction of Earth, fit in with the humorous nature of the novel?
3) What kinds of liberties does humor allow the author to take? How does humor allow the author to create wildly improbable situations and events?
This section contains 2,234 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)