|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ford exit the editor's office?
2. What human element do the aliens of Arthur's new planet not have?
3. How does Arthur make money to move to a new planet?
4. What hits the Earth that is the subject of this novel and makes it different from other Earths?
5. After the weapon is discharged, what does Ford decide to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the relocation office, when Arthur imagines himself back on Earth, what does he imagine doing?
2. What does the old lady give to Arthur along with her advice?
3. What animal do the armed men in the editor's office remind Ford of?
4. What does Tricia think is happening when the spaceship lands in her yard?
5. How was the alien Tricia met at the party disguised?
6. Describe the herring sandwich experiment.
7. Why is Arthur the sole survivor of the space ship crash?
8. What do the aliens tell Tricia about Elvis?
9. What is Ford surprised to find while he's doing what he came to the virtual reality for?
10. How does Tricia hope to get an audition for the job she wants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the limitations of knowledge in the novel.
1) How does identity and perspective limit knowledge in the novel?
2) How do the limitations of knowledge doom the characters to being unsuccessful in stopping the new Guide from achieving its goal?
3) In what ways are limitations of knowledge good and bad in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Arthur and Ford are literary foils. Compare their characters and roles in the novel.
1) How do Ford and Arthur react differently to change and risk? How do they understand and respond to the universe differently?
2) What do Ford and Arthur value? How are their points of view different, and how does this relate to their identity? How does it affect their actions and choices?
3) Why does the author use two characters who are opposites? How does it affect the story and the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss communication in the novel.
1) What types of failures of communication appear in the novel? How do Ford and Arthur fail to communicate with each other?
2) How do Arthur and Random fail to communicate with each other? Why does Random have such difficulty communicating?
3) What is the relationship between differing perspectives and failed communication in the novel?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)