Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tricia fixing herself when she goes outside to see what the strange lights are?
2. Why does Ford think the men in the editor's office are from InfiniDim Enterprises?
3. What is in Arthur's motel room for protection against boghogs?
4. For what does Arthur now mostly use his Hitch Hiker's Guide?
5. How long are the books on the alien world where Arthur settles?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ford get the new Guide out of the Guide offices?
2. What comes out of the trees toward Random, as she goes through the woods?
3. Explain WSOGMM.
4. What does Eric want Tricia to do when she gets home?
5. Describe the herring sandwich experiment.
6. What is odd about the Perfectly Normal Beast?
7. How does Tricia hope to get an audition for the job she wants?
8. What does Ford say to the armed men who are in the editor's office?
9. Why is Random fascinated by Arthur's watch?
10. How does the new Guide arrange a spaceship to come?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the new Guide, its abilities, and its implications in the novel.
1) Why is Ford so concerned about the new Guide and its capabilities?
2) What is the new Guide? How does it operate, and why is it dangerous technology? Why does the Hitchhiker's Guide office want to develop this technology?
3) How is the Guide different from the normal characters that populate the universe? How is it different from objects, machines, and robots? Is it a being, a machine, or something else?
Essay Topic 2
In Mostly Harmless, multiple dimensions or possible universes are converging and crossing over into each other. The characters deal with the full range of possibilities. Discuss multiple dimensions in the novel.
1) What is the WSOGMM? Why is this idea important to the novel?
2) Why is it difficult or impossible for any one person to comprehend the totality of dimensions or universes? Why is it dangerous for the Guide to comprehend everything?
3) How do multiple potential possibilities affect the characters in the novel? How does the existence of multiple potential possibilities allow the new Guide to manipulate reality?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the nature of being human as it is presented in the novel.
1) How do alien races in the novel emphasize what it means to be human by being different from human beings?
2) How do alien races in the novel emphasize what it means to be human by exhibiting and exaggerating human characteristics?
3) How do Arthur, Tricia, and Random represent the human race in the novel?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)