|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long are the books on the alien world where Arthur settles?
2. What club did Tricia go to in New York that she wants to tell someone about?
3. What does Ford decide to do, after discovering the editor's office full of armed men?
4. How do the executives for U.S./A.M. feel about a British accent on the show?
5. When, according to Chapter 3, did all known gods come into existence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prevents Tricia from going though with her plans for the evening on the day she returns from New York?
2. Who comes to find out what Ford is doing in the virtual reality?
3. According to Eric the gardener, what happened to Mrs. Williams' cat?
4. What do the aliens tell Tricia about Elvis?
5. What does Ford steal from his new editor?
6. What does Tricia think is happening when the spaceship lands in her yard?
7. How does Ford return the card he stole from his editor?
8. How does the Grebulon ship computer know about the hole in the ship?
9. Describe the herring sandwich experiment.
10. How does Tricia fail her interview?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss communication in the novel.
1) What types of failures of communication appear in the novel? How do Ford and Arthur fail to communicate with each other?
2) How do Arthur and Random fail to communicate with each other? Why does Random have such difficulty communicating?
3) What is the relationship between differing perspectives and failed communication in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss language in the novel and the author's use of language.
1) How does the author play with language? How does the author create humor by manipulating language?
2) How does the author use irony in the novel? What other types of figurative language does the author use?
3) How does the author use naming and terminology in the book? What is the significance of the names of planets, objects, scientific ideas, and characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss identity in the novel.
1) How do Tricia and Trillian, as two aspects of the same person, exemplify what creates identity?
2) How does Random, as a person who feels without an identity, exemplify what creates identity?
3) What does limited perspective have to do with identity? How does a sense of belonging and a place in the universe relate to identity?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)