|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were office windows at one time sealed shut?
2. Where do Tricia and Gail Andrews go to talk?
3. How much further is the ventilation shaft from the ground than what Ford remembers?
4. What does Tricia dream about?
5. What is in Arthur's motel room for protection against boghogs?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Eric the gardener, what happened to Mrs. Williams' cat?
2. What animal do the armed men in the editor's office remind Ford of?
3. How does Ford return the card he stole from his editor?
4. What major event happened to most other versions of the Earth in other dimensions?
5. How does Arthur recognize the maps of NowWhat?
6. Who comes to find out what Ford is doing in the virtual reality?
7. What problem do the aliens have that they want Tricia's help with?
8. What is the old lady at the cave doing, when Arthur comes to see her?
9. How was the alien Tricia met at the party disguised?
10. What does the old lady give to Arthur along with her advice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Mostly Harmless, multiple dimensions or possible universes are converging and crossing over into each other. The characters deal with the full range of possibilities. Discuss multiple dimensions in the novel.
1) What is the WSOGMM? Why is this idea important to the novel?
2) Why is it difficult or impossible for any one person to comprehend the totality of dimensions or universes? Why is it dangerous for the Guide to comprehend everything?
3) How do multiple potential possibilities affect the characters in the novel? How does the existence of multiple potential possibilities allow the new Guide to manipulate reality?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss happiness in the novel.
1) What creates happiness in the novel? Are the factors that contribute to happiness internal or external?
2) How do personality and identity contribute to happiness in the novel?
3) What is the relationship between happiness and belonging in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss language in the novel and the author's use of language.
1) How does the author play with language? How does the author create humor by manipulating language?
2) How does the author use irony in the novel? What other types of figurative language does the author use?
3) How does the author use naming and terminology in the book? What is the significance of the names of planets, objects, scientific ideas, and characters?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)