|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What design is on Ford's towel?
2. For what does Arthur now mostly use his Hitch Hiker's Guide?
3. What is the advice of the man on the pole?
4. Where do Tricia and Gail Andrews go to talk?
5. What are the men in the editor's office armed with when Ford returns?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the old lady at the cave doing, when Arthur comes to see her?
2. Explain WSOGMM.
3. What does the old lady give to Arthur along with her advice?
4. What metaphor does Tricia think of, for trying to live life according to a plan?
5. What does the first prayer that the prophet on the pole gives Arthur ask to protect him from?
6. What does Tricia think is happening when the spaceship lands in her yard?
7. What animal do the armed men in the editor's office remind Ford of?
8. What concerns Gail about her interview with Tricia?
9. What does Ford realize is odd about the thirteenth floor of the Guide building?
10. What major event happened to most other versions of the Earth in other dimensions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Random's character.
1) How is Random incomplete as a person? Why does she lack a sense of belonging and identity? How does this affect her personality?
2) What is the meaning of Random's name? What role does randomness and chance play in her existence?
3) Why does Random react the way she does to her mother, her father, the Guide, Tricia, and Earth? Why does she need to open the package from Ford? Why does she need to take apart Arthur's watch?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss language in the novel and the author's use of language.
1) How does the author play with language? How does the author create humor by manipulating language?
2) How does the author use irony in the novel? What other types of figurative language does the author use?
3) How does the author use naming and terminology in the book? What is the significance of the names of planets, objects, scientific ideas, and characters?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in the novel seek a sense of belonging. Discuss belonging in the novel.
1) What causes characters in the novel to feel a sense of belonging or a lack of belonging?
2) Why does Arthur try to seek out Earth? How does he try to find a sense of belonging after failing? What allows him to finally find a sense of belonging?
3) How does Random seek a sense of belonging? How does Arthur's watch provide a possibility of belonging?
4) How does Trillian seek a sense of belonging? How does Tricia seek a sense of belonging, and how does she lack one, even though she is still on Earth?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)