|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ford think the men in the editor's office are from InfiniDim Enterprises?
2. How old was Ford when he was given his first towel?
3. What does Arthur hope for as he sets out to travel throughout the universe?
4. The character in the alien book Arthur reads dies of _______________.
5. What club did Tricia go to in New York that she wants to tell someone about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphor does Tricia think of, for trying to live life according to a plan?
2. How does the Grebulon ship computer know about the hole in the ship?
3. What does Ford realize is odd about the thirteenth floor of the Guide building?
4. What problem do the aliens have that they want Tricia's help with?
5. Explain WSOGMM.
6. How does the security robot act after Ford alters it?
7. What does the first prayer that the prophet on the pole gives Arthur ask to protect him from?
8. How does Ford return the card he stole from his editor?
9. How does Arthur recognize the maps of NowWhat?
10. What is the old lady at the cave doing, when Arthur comes to see her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arthur and Ford are literary foils. Compare their characters and roles in the novel.
1) How do Ford and Arthur react differently to change and risk? How do they understand and respond to the universe differently?
2) What do Ford and Arthur value? How are their points of view different, and how does this relate to their identity? How does it affect their actions and choices?
3) Why does the author use two characters who are opposites? How does it affect the story and the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the limitations of knowledge in the novel.
1) How does identity and perspective limit knowledge in the novel?
2) How do the limitations of knowledge doom the characters to being unsuccessful in stopping the new Guide from achieving its goal?
3) In what ways are limitations of knowledge good and bad in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Random's character.
1) How is Random incomplete as a person? Why does she lack a sense of belonging and identity? How does this affect her personality?
2) What is the meaning of Random's name? What role does randomness and chance play in her existence?
3) Why does Random react the way she does to her mother, her father, the Guide, Tricia, and Earth? Why does she need to open the package from Ford? Why does she need to take apart Arthur's watch?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)