Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tricia fixing herself when she goes outside to see what the strange lights are?
2. Why does Ford think the men in the editor's office are from InfiniDim Enterprises?
3. What is in Arthur's motel room for protection against boghogs?
4. For what does Arthur now mostly use his Hitch Hiker's Guide?
5. How long are the books on the alien world where Arthur settles?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ford get the new Guide out of the Guide offices?
2. What comes out of the trees toward Random, as she goes through the woods?
3. Explain WSOGMM.
4. What does Eric want Tricia to do when she gets home?
5. Describe the herring sandwich experiment.
6. What is odd about the Perfectly Normal Beast?
7. How does Tricia hope to get an audition for the job she wants?
8. What does Ford say to the armed men who are in the editor's office?
9. Why is Random fascinated by Arthur's watch?
10. How does the new Guide arrange a spaceship to come?
Essay Topic 1
The characters in the novel seek a sense of belonging. Discuss belonging in the novel.
1) What causes characters in the novel to feel a sense of belonging or a lack of belonging?
2) Why does Arthur try to seek out Earth? How does he try to find a sense of belonging after failing? What allows him to finally find a sense of belonging?
3) How does Random seek a sense of belonging? How does Arthur's watch provide a possibility of belonging?
4) How does Trillian seek a sense of belonging? How does Tricia seek a sense of belonging, and how does she lack one, even though she is still on Earth?
Essay Topic 2
Tricia and Trillian are two possible lives of one person. Discuss Tricia and Trillian in the novel.
1) How are Tricia and Trillian similar? How are they different? What does this say about the effect of external factors on personality and identity?
2) What roles do randomness and chance play in Tricia and Trillian's fate? What does this say about the nature of randomness and chance?
3) How would Tricia and Trillian react to each other if they met and got a chance to interact? What would they think of each other?
Essay Topic 3
In Mostly Harmless, multiple dimensions or possible universes are converging and crossing over into each other. The characters deal with the full range of possibilities. Discuss multiple dimensions in the novel.
1) What is the WSOGMM? Why is this idea important to the novel?
2) Why is it difficult or impossible for any one person to comprehend the totality of dimensions or universes? Why is it dangerous for the Guide to comprehend everything?
3) How do multiple potential possibilities affect the characters in the novel? How does the existence of multiple potential possibilities allow the new Guide to manipulate reality?
This section contains 2,234 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)