|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What design is on Ford's towel?
2. Who rioted in the streets, coincidentally at a time when office buildings had to be evacuated due to technology failures?
3. What is in Arthur's motel room for protection against boghogs?
4. How do the aliens say Tricia looks different in real life?
5. What flavor of ice cream has abnormally low sales in this changed Earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ford stop himself from falling?
2. How does Tricia fail her interview?
3. What does the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy Mk II look like?
4. How do the aliens on Arthur's new planet physically differ from humans?
5. How does the security robot act after Ford alters it?
6. What prevents Tricia from going though with her plans for the evening on the day she returns from New York?
7. What does Ford say to the armed men who are in the editor's office?
8. What does Ford steal from his new editor?
9. What animal do the armed men in the editor's office remind Ford of?
10. How does Ford return the card he stole from his editor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss social satire in the novel.
1) How does the Guide and its offices serve as social satire? How does it represent large corporations in the real world? How does the story of the failed air control system for offices compare to this satire, as a social satire of technology?
2) How do the Vogons function as social satire? What types of people and organizations do they satire? How is bureaucracy depicted?
3) What other elements of social satire are present in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss identity in the novel.
1) How do Tricia and Trillian, as two aspects of the same person, exemplify what creates identity?
2) How does Random, as a person who feels without an identity, exemplify what creates identity?
3) What does limited perspective have to do with identity? How does a sense of belonging and a place in the universe relate to identity?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss communication in the novel.
1) What types of failures of communication appear in the novel? How do Ford and Arthur fail to communicate with each other?
2) How do Arthur and Random fail to communicate with each other? Why does Random have such difficulty communicating?
3) What is the relationship between differing perspectives and failed communication in the novel?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)