|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gets hit when Ford ducks to avoid the armored man's weapon?
2. What does Ford find that has replaced the piece of furniture for which he aimed?
3. What is the name of the company that has bought the Guide?
4. What does Ford do to open the reluctant door?
5. What color are the aliens, in the light of Tricia's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tricia hope to get an audition for the job she wants?
2. What does Eric want Tricia to do when she gets home?
3. What concerns Gail about her interview with Tricia?
4. How does the security robot act after Ford alters it?
5. How does Tricia fail her interview?
6. What animal do the armed men in the editor's office remind Ford of?
7. How does Ford stop himself from falling?
8. What does Ford realize is odd about the thirteenth floor of the Guide building?
9. What prevents Tricia from going though with her plans for the evening on the day she returns from New York?
10. What is the old lady at the cave doing, when Arthur comes to see her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss happiness in the novel.
1) What creates happiness in the novel? Are the factors that contribute to happiness internal or external?
2) How do personality and identity contribute to happiness in the novel?
3) What is the relationship between happiness and belonging in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Arthur and Ford are literary foils. Compare their characters and roles in the novel.
1) How do Ford and Arthur react differently to change and risk? How do they understand and respond to the universe differently?
2) What do Ford and Arthur value? How are their points of view different, and how does this relate to their identity? How does it affect their actions and choices?
3) Why does the author use two characters who are opposites? How does it affect the story and the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the new Guide, its abilities, and its implications in the novel.
1) Why is Ford so concerned about the new Guide and its capabilities?
2) What is the new Guide? How does it operate, and why is it dangerous technology? Why does the Hitchhiker's Guide office want to develop this technology?
3) How is the Guide different from the normal characters that populate the universe? How is it different from objects, machines, and robots? Is it a being, a machine, or something else?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)