|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the bellhop say the boghog was trying to do?
2. How does Arthur make money to move to a new planet?
3. How does Fenchurch vanish?
4. What caused the aliens to come get Tricia?
5. What noise does the computer on the Grebulon ship get in response to a click?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major event happened to most other versions of the Earth in other dimensions?
2. What does Tricia think is happening when the spaceship lands in her yard?
3. What does Eric want Tricia to do when she gets home?
4. How does Ford return the card he stole from his editor?
5. What does Ford realize is odd about the thirteenth floor of the Guide building?
6. What happens to the crew of the Grebulon ship?
7. Why are officials unconcerned about Fenchurch's disappearance?
8. According to Eric the gardener, what happened to Mrs. Williams' cat?
9. Who comes to find out what Ford is doing in the virtual reality?
10. What does the old lady give to Arthur along with her advice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is science fiction and extensively uses science ideas and concepts. Discuss the role of science in the novel.
1) What scientific concepts does the author use in the novel? What types of scientific ideas does he emphasize?
2) What is the author's view of science? How is science positive and negative? How do the characters view science and technology?
3) How does the novel fit into the science fiction genre?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ability to discover and perceive truth in the novel.
1) How do the limitations of knowledge and perception affect the ability to discover truth in the novel? How does it affect Tricia's ability to share her knowledge of the existence of aliens?
2) How is Ford's desire to find out the truth behind the new Guide inhibited by the limits of knowledge and perception?
3) Why are characters in the novel unwilling to try to discover truth? Why do scientists find truth muddled and confusing? Why do characters like the Lamuellans not want to delve into mysteries like the Perfectly Normal Beasts?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the new Guide, its abilities, and its implications in the novel.
1) Why is Ford so concerned about the new Guide and its capabilities?
2) What is the new Guide? How does it operate, and why is it dangerous technology? Why does the Hitchhiker's Guide office want to develop this technology?
3) How is the Guide different from the normal characters that populate the universe? How is it different from objects, machines, and robots? Is it a being, a machine, or something else?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)