|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The old lady in the cave wants Arthur's help with __________.
2. What does Ford find that has replaced the piece of furniture for which he aimed?
3. What is the name of the company that has bought the Guide?
4. What does the shadowy shape Ford sees in the window appear to be like?
5. What do boghogs do to communicate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Grebulon ship computer know about the hole in the ship?
2. Who comes to find out what Ford is doing in the virtual reality?
3. How does Arthur use Ford's towel to attract a Perfectly Normal Beast?
4. What major event happened to most other versions of the Earth in other dimensions?
5. What are Arthur's plans after arriving at NowWhat?
6. What does Ford steal from his new editor?
7. What happens to the crew of the Grebulon ship?
8. What does the Hitch Hiker's Guide do to areas where it sets up its offices?
9. What does the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy Mk II look like?
10. How does Arthur recognize the maps of NowWhat?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss chance and randomness in the novel.
1) How does chance and randomness affect the Earth and its different possibilities in different dimensions?
2) How does the existence of the new Guide destroy chance and randomness?
3) How does chance and randomness affect the characters, for good or ill, in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss language in the novel and the author's use of language.
1) How does the author play with language? How does the author create humor by manipulating language?
2) How does the author use irony in the novel? What other types of figurative language does the author use?
3) How does the author use naming and terminology in the book? What is the significance of the names of planets, objects, scientific ideas, and characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss communication in the novel.
1) What types of failures of communication appear in the novel? How do Ford and Arthur fail to communicate with each other?
2) How do Arthur and Random fail to communicate with each other? Why does Random have such difficulty communicating?
3) What is the relationship between differing perspectives and failed communication in the novel?
This section contains 2,122 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)