Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tricia fixing herself when she goes outside to see what the strange lights are?
2. Why does Ford think the men in the editor's office are from InfiniDim Enterprises?
3. What is in Arthur's motel room for protection against boghogs?
4. For what does Arthur now mostly use his Hitch Hiker's Guide?
5. How long are the books on the alien world where Arthur settles?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ford get the new Guide out of the Guide offices?
2. What comes out of the trees toward Random, as she goes through the woods?
3. Explain WSOGMM.
4. What does Eric want Tricia to do when she gets home?
5. Describe the herring sandwich experiment.
6. What is odd about the Perfectly Normal Beast?
7. How does Tricia hope to get an audition for the job she wants?
8. What does Ford say to the armed men who are in the editor's office?
9. Why is Random fascinated by Arthur's watch?
10. How does the new Guide arrange a spaceship to come?
Discuss Random's character.
1) How is Random incomplete as a person? Why does she lack a sense of belonging and identity? How does this affect her personality?
2) What is the meaning of Random's name? What role does randomness and chance play in her existence?
3) Why does Random react the way she does to her mother, her father, the Guide, Tricia, and Earth? Why does she need to open the package from Ford? Why does she need to take apart Arthur's watch?
Discuss the new Guide, its abilities, and its implications in the novel.
1) Why is Ford so concerned about the new Guide and its capabilities?
2) What is the new Guide? How does it operate, and why is it dangerous technology? Why does the Hitchhiker's Guide office want to develop this technology?
3) How is the Guide different from the normal characters that populate the universe? How is it different from objects, machines, and robots? Is it a being, a machine, or something else?
Discuss the limitations of knowledge in the novel.
1) How does identity and perspective limit knowledge in the novel?
2) How do the limitations of knowledge doom the characters to being unsuccessful in stopping the new Guide from achieving its goal?
3) In what ways are limitations of knowledge good and bad in the novel?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)