|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two directives does the computer understand from the corrupted original mission module?
2. What is the climate of NowWhat like?
3. What is the reason for the changes in the Hitch Hiker's Guide offices?
4. What is the one ambition of the individuals on the planet NowWhat?
5. What drains Tricia even more than simply standing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem do the aliens have that they want Tricia's help with?
2. At the relocation office, when Arthur imagines himself back on Earth, what does he imagine doing?
3. How does Tricia hope to get an audition for the job she wants?
4. Why are officials unconcerned about Fenchurch's disappearance?
5. How does Ford return the card he stole from his editor?
6. What does Tricia think is happening when the spaceship lands in her yard?
7. How do the aliens on Arthur's new planet physically differ from humans?
8. According to Eric the gardener, what happened to Mrs. Williams' cat?
9. What is the old lady at the cave doing, when Arthur comes to see her?
10. How does Tricia fail her interview?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is science fiction and extensively uses science ideas and concepts. Discuss the role of science in the novel.
1) What scientific concepts does the author use in the novel? What types of scientific ideas does he emphasize?
2) What is the author's view of science? How is science positive and negative? How do the characters view science and technology?
3) How does the novel fit into the science fiction genre?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss chance and randomness in the novel.
1) How does chance and randomness affect the Earth and its different possibilities in different dimensions?
2) How does the existence of the new Guide destroy chance and randomness?
3) How does chance and randomness affect the characters, for good or ill, in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Random's character.
1) How is Random incomplete as a person? Why does she lack a sense of belonging and identity? How does this affect her personality?
2) What is the meaning of Random's name? What role does randomness and chance play in her existence?
3) Why does Random react the way she does to her mother, her father, the Guide, Tricia, and Earth? Why does she need to open the package from Ford? Why does she need to take apart Arthur's watch?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)