|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds Tricia to tell her she has a screen test for the job she wants?
2. What does the shadowy shape Ford sees in the window appear to be like?
3. What does Tricia want to do as she falls asleep?
4. Who rioted in the streets, coincidentally at a time when office buildings had to be evacuated due to technology failures?
5. What is the virtual reality that Ford goes into?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the aliens tell Tricia about Elvis?
2. What metaphor does Tricia think of, for trying to live life according to a plan?
3. At the relocation office, when Arthur imagines himself back on Earth, what does he imagine doing?
4. What prevents Tricia from going though with her plans for the evening on the day she returns from New York?
5. What does the old lady give to Arthur along with her advice?
6. How was the alien Tricia met at the party disguised?
7. What does Ford realize is odd about the thirteenth floor of the Guide building?
8. What does Random find at the crash site?
9. What does Eric want Tricia to do when she gets home?
10. What are Arthur's plans after arriving at NowWhat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss language in the novel and the author's use of language.
1) How does the author play with language? How does the author create humor by manipulating language?
2) How does the author use irony in the novel? What other types of figurative language does the author use?
3) How does the author use naming and terminology in the book? What is the significance of the names of planets, objects, scientific ideas, and characters?
Essay Topic 2
In Mostly Harmless, multiple dimensions or possible universes are converging and crossing over into each other. The characters deal with the full range of possibilities. Discuss multiple dimensions in the novel.
1) What is the WSOGMM? Why is this idea important to the novel?
2) Why is it difficult or impossible for any one person to comprehend the totality of dimensions or universes? Why is it dangerous for the Guide to comprehend everything?
3) How do multiple potential possibilities affect the characters in the novel? How does the existence of multiple potential possibilities allow the new Guide to manipulate reality?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss happiness in the novel.
1) What creates happiness in the novel? Are the factors that contribute to happiness internal or external?
2) How do personality and identity contribute to happiness in the novel?
3) What is the relationship between happiness and belonging in the novel?
This section contains 2,198 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)