|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moor learn that Uma had done to cause his banishment by Abraham and aurora?
2. When does Abraham announce that he has adopted Adam Braganza, henceforth his "beloved son?"
3. Who are Felicitas (half Arab) and Renegada (half Jewish)?
4. What was Jaya Hé caught doing that ended her job as tutor to Moor?
5. What is Moor hoping for as he rests in the graveyard in view of Alhambra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a critique of at least two typed, double spaced pages on The Moor's Last Sigh.
(1) Is it a good story? (2) Is it easy or difficult to read? Why? (3) Do some of Rushdie's gimmicks get in the way? Why? (4) Is it literature that will stand the test of time? (5) What, in your opinion, sets Rushdie apart as a novelist? (6) what is your recommendation to others about reading this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Man's Cruelty to Man. Divide your essay into three parts as follows:
(1) Uma's manipulations and murder plot; (2) the inhumanity of the Indian prison where Moor is incarcerated; (3) the ease with which Moor becomes the Hammer after his experiences with Uma and prison.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages Superstition: How It Affects Human Behavior. In the essay, use these examples:
(1) the annual Ganesha festival and Aurora's disdain for such a superstition, (2) Camoens' superstitions that eventually led him to believe Belle's ghost was haunting the house, and (3) Flory's superstitions that caused her to see visions in the temple tiles that eventually led to her death.
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)