|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose bungalow in a marginal part of town is a shrine to Nadia Wadia?
2. Who serves as model for Aurora's Moor paintings?
3. Who is the character arriving at the end of Chapter 13 that the Moor hints will drive a wedge between him and Aurora?
4. What happens to the major characters except Moor at the end of chapter 18?
5. What happens at the Mahalaxmi Weekend Constitutional, an annual opportunity for Bombay's cultural elite to gather at the racecourse to see and to be seen.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Uma as an Example of the Classic Villainess. Main points of your essay include:
(1) deception, not looking like a villain, (2) scheming, making careful plans, and (3) ultimately being undone by her own schemes.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages Rushdie's literary gimmicks. Main points of your essay include:
(1) the odd way the da Gama family adds -o and -ofy to words that symbolize their quirkiness, (2) the rhyming phrases he uses generally to belittle certain characters, (3) long hyphenated phrases to make for more powerful adjectives. Give specific examples of each in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages Expressing Ideas and Feelings through Art. Using the stages of Aurora's painting, discuss the different ways she expressed herself:
(1) feelings about family history, (2) feelings about politics and religion, and (3) feelings about her love for Moor.
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)