|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miranda paint over the portrait of Aurora?
2. What does the family legend say is in Flory's treasure chest?
3. Which of the characters becomes enamored first of Leninism and later of Nehru's Party Congress?
4. What are Epifania's last words?
5. Where did Aurora and Abraham have sex the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Moor conclusion behind the tragic end of the da Gama-Zogoiby family?
2. How is Aurora's wish fulfilled in Moraes?
3. Explain Francisco da Gama's beliefs that drive wedges between family members.
4. How does the war affect Abraham's running of the family spice business?
5. How does Moor refer to the dysfunction of his family?
6. Why are Camoens and Aires given fifteen year prison sentences?
7. How does Christina turn out as she grows into maturity?
8. Detail the demise of Abraham's mother.
9. How does Moor's rapid maturity physically create a problem in his life?
10. What does Moor say are the quirks of Epifania's sons, Aires and Camoens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages The Importance of Good Fiction Writing. In your essay use these points:
(1) some fiction includes historical fact in such a way that learning history is fun reading, (2) some fiction uses the art form to get across moral principles without being preachy, and (3) some fiction is pure fantasy and relaxing to read.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages On Rising Above Bad Circumstances. As an example in your essay, review the history of Nadia Wadia. See how she rises out of obscurity to become famous as Miss World, gets involved with unsavory characters, angers men like Sammy Hazaré by refusing his advances, and suffers having her face disfigured. Finally discuss how she manages to rise above circumstances by looking inward instead of in the mirror.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Humor in The Moor's Last Sigh. To write this essay you will need to go through the novel and select some of the funny things Rushdie includes like oddball names for people, or lines like Uma's remark that Vasco's toilet paintings looked like Laurel and Hardon. This essay will require that you put the comedic lines in contest and an explanation as to why you are amused by them.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)