|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does he get the money to restore the business after the losses?
2. What happened after Flory's son was born?
3. How did the people of Bombay regard Aurora da Gama?
4. What characterizes the strange speech patterns of the family?
5. What is Ganesha?
Short Essay Questions
1. After reconciling, what plans do Moor and Abraham make?
2. What is the first thing Epifania does the day after Francisco dies?
3. What is the transformation of Abraham?
4. What is Moor conclusion behind the tragic end of the da Gama-Zogoiby family?
5. How do readers learn about some important Indian history?
6. How does Fielding bring together opposing forces to serve his purposes?
7. As Aurora's popularity wanes, what does she do with her life?
8. How does Aurora manage to upset the Hindu-Muslim population of India?
9. Why does Epifania collude with her daughters-in-law?
10. By August 1939, Aurora is the heiress to the da Gama fortune. Why does she storm into the office of the company?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages Rushdie's literary gimmicks. Main points of your essay include:
(1) the odd way the da Gama family adds -o and -ofy to words that symbolize their quirkiness, (2) the rhyming phrases he uses generally to belittle certain characters, (3) long hyphenated phrases to make for more powerful adjectives. Give specific examples of each in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Moor as an Unsympathetic Character. Your essay should include the sympathy the reader feels for Moor early in the novel, such as his deformed hand and his aging disease. Gradually, however, he becomes more and more unsympathetic as he allows himself to be manipulated by:
(1) Uma, (2) Lambajan Chandiwala, and (3) Raman Fielding. Conclude your essay giving your opinion whether he is a sympathetic as he lies down in the cemetery to breathe his last sigh.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Man's Cruelty to Man. Divide your essay into three parts as follows:
(1) Uma's manipulations and murder plot; (2) the inhumanity of the Indian prison where Moor is incarcerated; (3) the ease with which Moor becomes the Hammer after his experiences with Uma and prison.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)