|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the literary symbolism of Moraes' nailing his passages along his escape route?
2. How did the people of Bombay regard Aurora da Gama?
3. What are the words Moraes says that Aurora heard but could not see who spoke them?
4. What exists in a Benengeli village on a hill?
5. What is Ganesha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation with Sammy Hazaré after Aurora's death?
2. What conflict arose in Camoens when he went to hear Mahatma Gandhi?
3. How does Fielding reward Moor, now the Hammer, for his work?
4. How does Francisco defile Epifania's worship place?
5. What is the effect of the suicide pill Moor is forced to take half of at the prison?
6. How do readers learn about some important Indian history?
7. What is the curse Epifania puts on Aurora as she sits there watching the old woman die without trying to help her in any way.
8. How is Abraham finally successful?
9. How does Moor excuse himself for writing about his parents sex lives?
10. Why are Camoens and Aires given fifteen year prison sentences?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages Superstition: How It Affects Human Behavior. In the essay, use these examples:
(1) the annual Ganesha festival and Aurora's disdain for such a superstition, (2) Camoens' superstitions that eventually led him to believe Belle's ghost was haunting the house, and (3) Flory's superstitions that caused her to see visions in the temple tiles that eventually led to her death.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Characters from The Moor's Last Sigh You Wouldn't Want to Meet in the Dark. This essay will describe in detail some of the unsavory characters of the book. Example of such characters are:
(1) Chhaggan Five-in-a-Bite, (2) Sammy Hazaré, (3) Moor as Hammer, and (4) Vasco Miranda.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on The Dysfunctional da Gama-Zogoiby Family. In your essay, discuss the following:
(1) in what ways were the family members dysfunctional, (2) how the behavior of one member of the family affected the others, (3) why their dysfunctional behavior could not be changed for the better.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)