|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes a pilgrimage to Malgudi on the river Sarayu, to see the great Mahatma Gandhi?
2. How does Epifania classify the renovated chapel?
3. Who says, with that God stuff I got scared?
4. How does Moraes say his mother died?
5. What does Moraes say he is doing faster than he should?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Francisco defile Epifania's worship place?
2. What does Moor say are the quirks of Epifania's sons, Aires and Camoens?
3. What is Moor conclusion behind the tragic end of the da Gama-Zogoiby family?
4. What does the once-renowned private investigator, Dom Minto, find out about Uma?
5. What is the curse Epifania puts on Aurora as she sits there watching the old woman die without trying to help her in any way.
6. Describe the opening of the novel.
7. How does Fielding reward Moor, now the Hammer, for his work?
8. By August 1939, Aurora is the heiress to the da Gama fortune. Why does she storm into the office of the company?
9. Detail the demise of Abraham's mother.
10. Who comes to the rescue when Aires is physically abusing the servants over lost artifacts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on The Dysfunctional da Gama-Zogoiby Family. In your essay, discuss the following:
(1) in what ways were the family members dysfunctional, (2) how the behavior of one member of the family affected the others, (3) why their dysfunctional behavior could not be changed for the better.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages Superstition: How It Affects Human Behavior. In the essay, use these examples:
(1) the annual Ganesha festival and Aurora's disdain for such a superstition, (2) Camoens' superstitions that eventually led him to believe Belle's ghost was haunting the house, and (3) Flory's superstitions that caused her to see visions in the temple tiles that eventually led to her death.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages Expressing Ideas and Feelings through Art. Using the stages of Aurora's painting, discuss the different ways she expressed herself:
(1) feelings about family history, (2) feelings about politics and religion, and (3) feelings about her love for Moor.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)