|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moraes say was his father's lament?
2. What need does Moraes have to be candid about his parents' sex life?
3. Why does Flory Zogoiby object to her son's marrying Aurora?
4. How does Aurora treat Abraham?
5. What does Aurora look like as a teenager?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about Moor's birth and growth?
2. What is the curse Epifania puts on Aurora as she sits there watching the old woman die without trying to help her in any way.
3. Why does Moor have trouble getting to Vasco Miranda in Andalusia?
4. What is the first thing Epifania does the day after Francisco dies?
5. What does Moraes have to say about his mother and his lover, Uma?
6. What does Moor say are the quirks of Epifania's sons, Aires and Camoens?
7. What is the effect of the suicide pill Moor is forced to take half of at the prison?
8. How do readers learn about some important Indian history?
9. What in Miranda's character seem to foreshadow serious problems to come?
10. How does Abraham's adopted son, Adam, bring down the great house of Zogoiby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Rushdie's use of references to literature and incorporation of actual history in his novel. Use as main points:
(1) examples of various literary quotes or adaptations (your choice), (2) actual events such as the rally with Gandhi and the imprisonment of Nehru, and (3) finally the way he works the 1993 bombings into the story.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Humor in The Moor's Last Sigh. To write this essay you will need to go through the novel and select some of the funny things Rushdie includes like oddball names for people, or lines like Uma's remark that Vasco's toilet paintings looked like Laurel and Hardon. This essay will require that you put the comedic lines in contest and an explanation as to why you are amused by them.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages Expressing Ideas and Feelings through Art. Using the stages of Aurora's painting, discuss the different ways she expressed herself:
(1) feelings about family history, (2) feelings about politics and religion, and (3) feelings about her love for Moor.
This section contains 1,815 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)