|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aurora do locked in her room, allowing no one to enter?
2. Who was the doorkeeper of Elephanta, Aurora's estate according to Moraes?
3. What did Francisco da Gama do to the family chapel?
4. What does Miranda paint over the portrait of Aurora?
5. What does Aurora look like as a teenager?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Moraes left on his trail as he sits collecting his breath in the graveyard?
2. Why does Epifania collude with her daughters-in-law?
3. Why is Moor thankful for Epifania's strict devotion to her faith?
4. What in Miranda's character seem to foreshadow serious problems to come?
5. What is the curse Epifania puts on Aurora as she sits there watching the old woman die without trying to help her in any way.
6. What does Moraes have to say about his mother and his lover, Uma?
7. Debunking his father's family history, what does Moor suggest about his late grandmother, Flory.
8. How does Moor get to know more about his mother and father and their relationship?
9. How does Moor's rapid maturity physically create a problem in his life?
10. What is the first thing Epifania does the day after Francisco dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Rushdie's use of references to literature and incorporation of actual history in his novel. Use as main points:
(1) examples of various literary quotes or adaptations (your choice), (2) actual events such as the rally with Gandhi and the imprisonment of Nehru, and (3) finally the way he works the 1993 bombings into the story.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages comparing Aurora and Moor with Marge Simpson and Bart. Let you imagination run free in this humorous essay that shows the similarity in Marge's relationship to her "special little guy," and the close relationship Moor has with Aurora before Uma comes on the scene.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Power and Greed. Your essay should include the element of ruthlessness in the characters of Aurora, Abraham, Uma, and fielding. Give an opinion on how power corrupts each of those characters. Sum up with the end results of overreaching one's limitations.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)