|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Moraes say Lambajan lost his leg?
2. About what does Moraes soliloquize at the beginning of chapter 7?
3. The heiress to the da Gama fortune, Aurora falls in love with what older man?
4. What is the reader not sure of at this point in chapter four?
5. What does the family legend say is in Flory's treasure chest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Aurora been up to so much mischief in the house late at night?
2. Debunking his father's family history, what does Moor suggest about his late grandmother, Flory.
3. What is the effect of the suicide pill Moor is forced to take half of at the prison?
4. How does Moor describe the Reverend Oliver D'Aeth, rector of the church?
5. Explain what is special about the blue tiles in the synagogue.
6. What painting does Miranda cover with another after Aurora reacts negatively to the original?
7. How does Moor refer to the dysfunction of his family?
8. What are the historical connections of the family Moor comes from?
9. How does Moor excuse himself for writing about his parents sex lives?
10. How does Fielding reward Moor, now the Hammer, for his work?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages Superstition: How It Affects Human Behavior. In the essay, use these examples:
(1) the annual Ganesha festival and Aurora's disdain for such a superstition, (2) Camoens' superstitions that eventually led him to believe Belle's ghost was haunting the house, and (3) Flory's superstitions that caused her to see visions in the temple tiles that eventually led to her death.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages entitled, Salman Rushdie's Love Affair with Words. Divide your essay into three parts as follows:
(1) Rushdie's use of alliteration and onomatopoeia. (2) Rushdie's use of strings of hyphenated words to form nouns or adjectives. (3) Rushdie's coining of words for special effect. Be sure to quote passages from the novel to support your points.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Rushdie's take on organized religion. Find in the novel explicit references to Hinduism, Christianity, Judaism, and Islam and show how Rushdie discounts all of them as divisive and something to be avoided.
This section contains 1,873 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)