|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Flory Zogoiby object to her son's marrying Aurora?
2. What does Moraes say Aurora became in the annual celebration of Ganesha?
3. What does Moraes say he is doing faster than he should?
4. Why does she open the windows at night?
5. What does Miranda paint over the portrait of Aurora?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Epifania collude with her daughters-in-law?
2. What is Moor conclusion behind the tragic end of the da Gama-Zogoiby family?
3. How does Moor describe the Reverend Oliver D'Aeth, rector of the church?
4. Describe the opening of the novel.
5. What is unusual about Moor's birth and growth?
6. What is the transformation of Abraham?
7. How does Moor get to know more about his mother and father and their relationship?
8. Debunking his father's family history, what does Moor suggest about his late grandmother, Flory.
9. What is the situation with Sammy Hazaré after Aurora's death?
10. What is the effect of the suicide pill Moor is forced to take half of at the prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages On Rising Above Bad Circumstances. As an example in your essay, review the history of Nadia Wadia. See how she rises out of obscurity to become famous as Miss World, gets involved with unsavory characters, angers men like Sammy Hazaré by refusing his advances, and suffers having her face disfigured. Finally discuss how she manages to rise above circumstances by looking inward instead of in the mirror.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Man's Cruelty to Man. Divide your essay into three parts as follows:
(1) Uma's manipulations and murder plot; (2) the inhumanity of the Indian prison where Moor is incarcerated; (3) the ease with which Moor becomes the Hammer after his experiences with Uma and prison.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Uma as an Example of the Classic Villainess. Main points of your essay include:
(1) deception, not looking like a villain, (2) scheming, making careful plans, and (3) ultimately being undone by her own schemes.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)