|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a likely reason Flory had made her money?
2. What does Moraes say Aurora found out about the mushroom crone?
3. How does Vasco Miranda enter the narrative?
4. What does Aurora do to torment her father and uncle?
5. What is Ganesha?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Moor have trouble getting to Vasco Miranda in Andalusia?
2. How do Aurora and Moor react to the presence of Uma?
3. What evidence does Camoens have that the ghost of his late wife is still in the house?
4. Because of his medical condition, what does Moor think about?
5. Describe the opening of the novel.
6. How does Moor's rapid maturity physically create a problem in his life?
7. What is the situation with Sammy Hazaré after Aurora's death?
8. Debunking his father's family history, what does Moor suggest about his late grandmother, Flory.
9. What is Moor conclusion behind the tragic end of the da Gama-Zogoiby family?
10. How does Moor refer to the dysfunction of his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Uma as an Example of the Classic Villainess. Main points of your essay include:
(1) deception, not looking like a villain, (2) scheming, making careful plans, and (3) ultimately being undone by her own schemes.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Moral Lessons in The Moor's Last Sigh. Begin your essay by defining moral lessons in obvious works such as Aesop's Fables. Select three characters from the novel to show how eventually each one pays for bad behavior. Include Sammy Hazaré who pays for his hatred by killing himself as a suicide bomber.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages Superstition: How It Affects Human Behavior. In the essay, use these examples:
(1) the annual Ganesha festival and Aurora's disdain for such a superstition, (2) Camoens' superstitions that eventually led him to believe Belle's ghost was haunting the house, and (3) Flory's superstitions that caused her to see visions in the temple tiles that eventually led to her death.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)