|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What taboo subject does he discuss in chapter 7?
2. What foliage does Camoens says is all he need to hear?
3. What is the reader not sure of at this point in chapter four?
4. How does Moraes say his mother died?
5. What angers Aires by their disappearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation with Sammy Hazaré after Aurora's death?
2. How does Fielding reward Moor, now the Hammer, for his work?
3. Why does Moor have trouble getting to Vasco Miranda in Andalusia?
4. How does Aurora begin her art career?
5. How does Fielding bring together opposing forces to serve his purposes?
6. Why has Aurora been up to so much mischief in the house late at night?
7. How does Moor's rapid maturity physically create a problem in his life?
8. Describe Flory's condition for giving Abraham the emeralds.
9. Explain the effect of Uma's efforts to convince Abraham and Aurora that she and Moor really do love one another.
10. How does Moor refer to the dysfunction of his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Uma as an Example of the Classic Villainess. Main points of your essay include:
(1) deception, not looking like a villain, (2) scheming, making careful plans, and (3) ultimately being undone by her own schemes.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages comparing Aurora and Moor with Marge Simpson and Bart. Let you imagination run free in this humorous essay that shows the similarity in Marge's relationship to her "special little guy," and the close relationship Moor has with Aurora before Uma comes on the scene.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages Rushdie's literary gimmicks. Main points of your essay include:
(1) the odd way the da Gama family adds -o and -ofy to words that symbolize their quirkiness, (2) the rhyming phrases he uses generally to belittle certain characters, (3) long hyphenated phrases to make for more powerful adjectives. Give specific examples of each in your essay.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)