|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aurora do when she learns of the deal between Abraham and Flory?
2. How does Vasco Miranda enter the narrative?
3. What does Moraes call the Black Gold of Malabar?
4. What is the Reverend Oliver D'Aeth's emotional problem?
5. Who is Prince Henry the Navigator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fitting scene of Moor at the end of the novel?
2. How are the three girls, Christina, Inamorata, and Philomena, teased at school?
3. What conflict arose in Camoens when he went to hear Mahatma Gandhi?
4. What is the situation with Sammy Hazaré after Aurora's death?
5. What is the curse Epifania puts on Aurora as she sits there watching the old woman die without trying to help her in any way.
6. Because of his medical condition, what does Moor think about?
7. By August 1939, Aurora is the heiress to the da Gama fortune. Why does she storm into the office of the company?
8. How does Fielding reward Moor, now the Hammer, for his work?
9. What painting does Miranda cover with another after Aurora reacts negatively to the original?
10. Why does Moor lament his life as he continues with his history of the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Characters from The Moor's Last Sigh You Wouldn't Want to Meet in the Dark. This essay will describe in detail some of the unsavory characters of the book. Example of such characters are:
(1) Chhaggan Five-in-a-Bite, (2) Sammy Hazaré, (3) Moor as Hammer, and (4) Vasco Miranda.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages The Importance of Good Fiction Writing. In your essay use these points:
(1) some fiction includes historical fact in such a way that learning history is fun reading, (2) some fiction uses the art form to get across moral principles without being preachy, and (3) some fiction is pure fantasy and relaxing to read.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Power and Greed. Your essay should include the element of ruthlessness in the characters of Aurora, Abraham, Uma, and fielding. Give an opinion on how power corrupts each of those characters. Sum up with the end results of overreaching one's limitations.
This section contains 1,825 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)