|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when distant relatives are invited to stay at the da Gama houses?
2. Why does she open the windows at night?
3. Who commissions Miranda to paint a portrait of Aurora and her newborn daughter Ina?
4. What does the argument between Flory and her son reveal to the reader?
5. What is the literary symbolism of Moraes' nailing his passages along his escape route?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Flory's condition for giving Abraham the emeralds.
2. What does Moor say are the quirks of Epifania's sons, Aires and Camoens?
3. Who comes to the rescue when Aires is physically abusing the servants over lost artifacts?
4. How is Abraham finally successful?
5. What does Moraes have to say about his mother and his lover, Uma?
6. What are the historical connections of the family Moor comes from?
7. What is the fitting scene of Moor at the end of the novel?
8. How do readers learn about some important Indian history?
9. Detail the demise of Abraham's mother.
10. What has Moraes left on his trail as he sits collecting his breath in the graveyard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on The Dysfunctional da Gama-Zogoiby Family. In your essay, discuss the following:
(1) in what ways were the family members dysfunctional, (2) how the behavior of one member of the family affected the others, (3) why their dysfunctional behavior could not be changed for the better.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Man's Cruelty to Man. Divide your essay into three parts as follows:
(1) Uma's manipulations and murder plot; (2) the inhumanity of the Indian prison where Moor is incarcerated; (3) the ease with which Moor becomes the Hammer after his experiences with Uma and prison.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Uma as an Example of the Classic Villainess. Main points of your essay include:
(1) deception, not looking like a villain, (2) scheming, making careful plans, and (3) ultimately being undone by her own schemes.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)