|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Moraes identify his family?
2. Why is Moraes estranged from his mother?
3. What does Moraes say was his father's lament?
4. To what does Moraes refer to as the sub-condiment?
5. What angers Aires by their disappearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what is special about the blue tiles in the synagogue.
2. How does Vasco Miranda come into the lives of the Zogoiby family?
3. How do Aurora and Moor react to the presence of Uma?
4. How does Moor feel about his parents union?
5. Why has Aurora been up to so much mischief in the house late at night?
6. Returning several decades before Aurora's death, how to readers learn about the arrival of a doorman?
7. Why are Camoens and Aires given fifteen year prison sentences?
8. Why is Moor thankful for Epifania's strict devotion to her faith?
9. What is the transformation of Abraham?
10. How does Moor get to know more about his mother and father and their relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Moor as an Unsympathetic Character. Your essay should include the sympathy the reader feels for Moor early in the novel, such as his deformed hand and his aging disease. Gradually, however, he becomes more and more unsympathetic as he allows himself to be manipulated by:
(1) Uma, (2) Lambajan Chandiwala, and (3) Raman Fielding. Conclude your essay giving your opinion whether he is a sympathetic as he lies down in the cemetery to breathe his last sigh.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages Superstition: How It Affects Human Behavior. In the essay, use these examples:
(1) the annual Ganesha festival and Aurora's disdain for such a superstition, (2) Camoens' superstitions that eventually led him to believe Belle's ghost was haunting the house, and (3) Flory's superstitions that caused her to see visions in the temple tiles that eventually led to her death.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on undertones of an Oedipal Complex in The Moor's Last Sigh. Your points include:
(1) an explanation of the Greek tragedy, Oedipus Rex, (2) the suggestion of Moor posing nude for Aurora, and (3) the Moor painting where Aurora is Desdemona on the bed and Moor as Othello, lunging at her with a dagger.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)