|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Aurora's goal in all her night time activity?
2. Who is Flory Zogoiby's husband and father of her child?
3. What need does Moraes have to be candid about his parents' sex life?
4. What does Moraes say he learns to accept?
5. What is the analogy to Rumpelstiltskin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the opening of the novel.
2. How does Vasco Miranda come into the lives of the Zogoiby family?
3. Why does Epifania collude with her daughters-in-law?
4. What painting does Miranda cover with another after Aurora reacts negatively to the original?
5. How does Fielding reward Moor, now the Hammer, for his work?
6. As Aurora's popularity wanes, what does she do with her life?
7. Returning several decades before Aurora's death, how to readers learn about the arrival of a doorman?
8. How do Aurora and Moor react to the presence of Uma?
9. How do readers learn about some important Indian history?
10. What has Moraes left on his trail as he sits collecting his breath in the graveyard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages entitled, Salman Rushdie's Love Affair with Words. Divide your essay into three parts as follows:
(1) Rushdie's use of alliteration and onomatopoeia. (2) Rushdie's use of strings of hyphenated words to form nouns or adjectives. (3) Rushdie's coining of words for special effect. Be sure to quote passages from the novel to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages The Importance of Good Fiction Writing. In your essay use these points:
(1) some fiction includes historical fact in such a way that learning history is fun reading, (2) some fiction uses the art form to get across moral principles without being preachy, and (3) some fiction is pure fantasy and relaxing to read.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages Superstition: How It Affects Human Behavior. In the essay, use these examples:
(1) the annual Ganesha festival and Aurora's disdain for such a superstition, (2) Camoens' superstitions that eventually led him to believe Belle's ghost was haunting the house, and (3) Flory's superstitions that caused her to see visions in the temple tiles that eventually led to her death.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)