|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Moraes say his mother died?
2. What drove a wedge between the between Epifania and her husband and polarized their sons?
3. How does Moraes refer to the saga of his family?
4. What is the literary symbolism of Moraes' nailing his passages along his escape route?
5. What does Aurora do locked in her room, allowing no one to enter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Moor get to know more about his mother and father and their relationship?
2. Why does Moor lament his life as he continues with his history of the family?
3. How does Moor refer to the dysfunction of his family?
4. As Aurora's popularity wanes, what does she do with her life?
5. Detail the demise of Abraham's mother.
6. How does Fielding reward Moor, now the Hammer, for his work?
7. What in Miranda's character seem to foreshadow serious problems to come?
8. How does Aurora manage to upset the Hindu-Muslim population of India?
9. How does Moor feel about his parents union?
10. How do Aurora and Moor react to the presence of Uma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages Rushdie's literary gimmicks. Main points of your essay include:
(1) the odd way the da Gama family adds -o and -ofy to words that symbolize their quirkiness, (2) the rhyming phrases he uses generally to belittle certain characters, (3) long hyphenated phrases to make for more powerful adjectives. Give specific examples of each in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages Expressing Ideas and Feelings through Art. Using the stages of Aurora's painting, discuss the different ways she expressed herself:
(1) feelings about family history, (2) feelings about politics and religion, and (3) feelings about her love for Moor.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Man's Cruelty to Man. Divide your essay into three parts as follows:
(1) Uma's manipulations and murder plot; (2) the inhumanity of the Indian prison where Moor is incarcerated; (3) the ease with which Moor becomes the Hammer after his experiences with Uma and prison.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)