|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Flory die?
2. What is Aurora's goal in all her night time activity?
3. For what is the synagogue famous?
4. How does Moraes say Lambajan lost his leg?
5. Why does Abraham distance himself from the Jewish community?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vasco Miranda come into the lives of the Zogoiby family?
2. How does the war affect Abraham's running of the family spice business?
3. How are the three girls, Christina, Inamorata, and Philomena, teased at school?
4. Returning several decades before Aurora's death, how to readers learn about the arrival of a doorman?
5. By 1987, what is the annual ritual Aurora performs that eventually leads to her death.
6. How is Abraham finally successful?
7. Why does Moor lament his life as he continues with his history of the family?
8. How does Moor excuse himself for writing about his parents sex lives?
9. What does the once-renowned private investigator, Dom Minto, find out about Uma?
10. After gaining entry into Vasco's house, what prevents Miranda from killing Moor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Rushdie's take on organized religion. Find in the novel explicit references to Hinduism, Christianity, Judaism, and Islam and show how Rushdie discounts all of them as divisive and something to be avoided.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Humane Incarceration. In your essay discuss:
(1) the need for prisons, (2) the deplorable conditions of prisons like the Indian prison Moor was sent to, and (3) the more humane prisons like Aires, Camoens, and Aurora endured. End your essay with your idea of how to improve prisons so that people coming out are prepared to re-enter society rather than become gangsters like Hammer.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on undertones of an Oedipal Complex in The Moor's Last Sigh. Your points include:
(1) an explanation of the Greek tragedy, Oedipus Rex, (2) the suggestion of Moor posing nude for Aurora, and (3) the Moor painting where Aurora is Desdemona on the bed and Moor as Othello, lunging at her with a dagger.
This section contains 1,819 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)