|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characterizes the strange speech patterns of the family?
2. What foils the plan to take over the family business?
3. What does Aurora call the Reverend Oliver D'Aeth?
4. After the business is successful again, what does Flory do?
5. Who eventually gains control of the family businesses?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the war affect Abraham's running of the family spice business?
2. How is Abraham finally successful?
3. How does Aurora manage to upset the Hindu-Muslim population of India?
4. Why has Aurora been up to so much mischief in the house late at night?
5. How does Abraham's adopted son, Adam, bring down the great house of Zogoiby?
6. What conflict arose in Camoens when he went to hear Mahatma Gandhi?
7. Detail the demise of Abraham's mother.
8. What does Moraes have to say about his mother and his lover, Uma?
9. What in Miranda's character seem to foreshadow serious problems to come?
10. What evidence does Camoens have that the ghost of his late wife is still in the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages Superstition: How It Affects Human Behavior. In the essay, use these examples:
(1) the annual Ganesha festival and Aurora's disdain for such a superstition, (2) Camoens' superstitions that eventually led him to believe Belle's ghost was haunting the house, and (3) Flory's superstitions that caused her to see visions in the temple tiles that eventually led to her death.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Power and Greed. Your essay should include the element of ruthlessness in the characters of Aurora, Abraham, Uma, and fielding. Give an opinion on how power corrupts each of those characters. Sum up with the end results of overreaching one's limitations.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Humane Incarceration. In your essay discuss:
(1) the need for prisons, (2) the deplorable conditions of prisons like the Indian prison Moor was sent to, and (3) the more humane prisons like Aires, Camoens, and Aurora endured. End your essay with your idea of how to improve prisons so that people coming out are prepared to re-enter society rather than become gangsters like Hammer.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)