Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Moraes refer to as the sub-condiment?
2. Why is Moraes estranged from his mother?
3. Which of the characters becomes enamored first of Leninism and later of Nehru's Party Congress?
4. What changes Camoens from Gandhi to Nehru?
5. What happens in the house after Epifania dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Detail the demise of Abraham's mother.
2. Why is Moor thankful for Epifania's strict devotion to her faith?
3. What is the fitting scene of Moor at the end of the novel?
4. How does Moor excuse himself for writing about his parents sex lives?
5. By 1987, what is the annual ritual Aurora performs that eventually leads to her death.
6. How does the war affect Abraham's running of the family spice business?
7. How does Vasco Miranda come into the lives of the Zogoiby family?
8. How does Moor describe the Reverend Oliver D'Aeth, rector of the church?
9. Why does Epifania collude with her daughters-in-law?
10. How are the three girls, Christina, Inamorata, and Philomena, teased at school?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Rushdie's use of references to literature and incorporation of actual history in his novel. Use as main points:
(1) examples of various literary quotes or adaptations (your choice), (2) actual events such as the rally with Gandhi and the imprisonment of Nehru, and (3) finally the way he works the 1993 bombings into the story.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Moor as an Unsympathetic Character. Your essay should include the sympathy the reader feels for Moor early in the novel, such as his deformed hand and his aging disease. Gradually, however, he becomes more and more unsympathetic as he allows himself to be manipulated by:
(1) Uma, (2) Lambajan Chandiwala, and (3) Raman Fielding. Conclude your essay giving your opinion whether he is a sympathetic as he lies down in the cemetery to breathe his last sigh.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages Expressing Ideas and Feelings through Art. Using the stages of Aurora's painting, discuss the different ways she expressed herself:
(1) feelings about family history, (2) feelings about politics and religion, and (3) feelings about her love for Moor.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)