|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What foliage does Camoens says is all he need to hear?
2. The heiress to the da Gama fortune, Aurora falls in love with what older man?
3. What does Aurora do locked in her room, allowing no one to enter?
4. Who is Prince Henry the Navigator?
5. Speaking of his parents, how does Moraes refer to himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Epifania collude with her daughters-in-law?
2. Because of his medical condition, what does Moor think about?
3. After gaining entry into Vasco's house, what prevents Miranda from killing Moor?
4. Describe the opening of the novel.
5. What is the first thing Epifania does the day after Francisco dies?
6. What is unusual about Moor's birth and growth?
7. How does Francisco defile Epifania's worship place?
8. What does the once-renowned private investigator, Dom Minto, find out about Uma?
9. What in Miranda's character seem to foreshadow serious problems to come?
10. What is the situation with Sammy Hazaré after Aurora's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Moral Lessons in The Moor's Last Sigh. Begin your essay by defining moral lessons in obvious works such as Aesop's Fables. Select three characters from the novel to show how eventually each one pays for bad behavior. Include Sammy Hazaré who pays for his hatred by killing himself as a suicide bomber.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on undertones of an Oedipal Complex in The Moor's Last Sigh. Your points include:
(1) an explanation of the Greek tragedy, Oedipus Rex, (2) the suggestion of Moor posing nude for Aurora, and (3) the Moor painting where Aurora is Desdemona on the bed and Moor as Othello, lunging at her with a dagger.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Humane Incarceration. In your essay discuss:
(1) the need for prisons, (2) the deplorable conditions of prisons like the Indian prison Moor was sent to, and (3) the more humane prisons like Aires, Camoens, and Aurora endured. End your essay with your idea of how to improve prisons so that people coming out are prepared to re-enter society rather than become gangsters like Hammer.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)