|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Moraes refer to as the sub-condiment?
2. Why is Moraes estranged from his mother?
3. Which of the characters becomes enamored first of Leninism and later of Nehru's Party Congress?
4. What changes Camoens from Gandhi to Nehru?
5. What happens in the house after Epifania dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Detail the demise of Abraham's mother.
2. Why is Moor thankful for Epifania's strict devotion to her faith?
3. What is the fitting scene of Moor at the end of the novel?
4. How does Moor excuse himself for writing about his parents sex lives?
5. By 1987, what is the annual ritual Aurora performs that eventually leads to her death.
6. How does the war affect Abraham's running of the family spice business?
7. How does Vasco Miranda come into the lives of the Zogoiby family?
8. How does Moor describe the Reverend Oliver D'Aeth, rector of the church?
9. Why does Epifania collude with her daughters-in-law?
10. How are the three girls, Christina, Inamorata, and Philomena, teased at school?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages Rushdie's literary gimmicks. Main points of your essay include:
(1) the odd way the da Gama family adds -o and -ofy to words that symbolize their quirkiness, (2) the rhyming phrases he uses generally to belittle certain characters, (3) long hyphenated phrases to make for more powerful adjectives. Give specific examples of each in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Humor in The Moor's Last Sigh. To write this essay you will need to go through the novel and select some of the funny things Rushdie includes like oddball names for people, or lines like Uma's remark that Vasco's toilet paintings looked like Laurel and Hardon. This essay will require that you put the comedic lines in contest and an explanation as to why you are amused by them.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on The Dysfunctional da Gama-Zogoiby Family. In your essay, discuss the following:
(1) in what ways were the family members dysfunctional, (2) how the behavior of one member of the family affected the others, (3) why their dysfunctional behavior could not be changed for the better.
This section contains 1,792 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)