|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes Camoens from Gandhi to Nehru?
2. Which of the household servants could Aires not touch?
3. How does he get the money to restore the business after the losses?
4. Speaking of his parents, how does Moraes refer to himself?
5. Why does Camoens turn to secularism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the effect of Uma's efforts to convince Abraham and Aurora that she and Moor really do love one another.
2. Why are Camoens and Aires given fifteen year prison sentences?
3. By August 1939, Aurora is the heiress to the da Gama fortune. Why does she storm into the office of the company?
4. What is unusual about Moor's birth and growth?
5. By 1987, what is the annual ritual Aurora performs that eventually leads to her death.
6. After reconciling, what plans do Moor and Abraham make?
7. How does Moor feel about his parents union?
8. Explain what is special about the blue tiles in the synagogue.
9. Explain Francisco da Gama's beliefs that drive wedges between family members.
10. How does Francisco defile Epifania's worship place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Man's Cruelty to Man. Divide your essay into three parts as follows:
(1) Uma's manipulations and murder plot; (2) the inhumanity of the Indian prison where Moor is incarcerated; (3) the ease with which Moor becomes the Hammer after his experiences with Uma and prison.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages Superstition: How It Affects Human Behavior. In the essay, use these examples:
(1) the annual Ganesha festival and Aurora's disdain for such a superstition, (2) Camoens' superstitions that eventually led him to believe Belle's ghost was haunting the house, and (3) Flory's superstitions that caused her to see visions in the temple tiles that eventually led to her death.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Characters from The Moor's Last Sigh You Wouldn't Want to Meet in the Dark. This essay will describe in detail some of the unsavory characters of the book. Example of such characters are:
(1) Chhaggan Five-in-a-Bite, (2) Sammy Hazaré, (3) Moor as Hammer, and (4) Vasco Miranda.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)