|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What allows Aurora and Abie to reunite?
2. What does Moraes say Aurora found out about the mushroom crone?
3. About what does Moraes soliloquize at the beginning of chapter 7?
4. What need does Moraes have to be candid about his parents' sex life?
5. What does Aurora look like as a teenager?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Aurora been up to so much mischief in the house late at night?
2. What does Moraes have to say about his mother and his lover, Uma?
3. How are the three girls, Christina, Inamorata, and Philomena, teased at school?
4. What in Miranda's character seem to foreshadow serious problems to come?
5. How does Aurora begin her art career?
6. Explain what is special about the blue tiles in the synagogue.
7. Why does Moor lament his life as he continues with his history of the family?
8. How is Abraham finally successful?
9. Why does Epifania collude with her daughters-in-law?
10. What does the once-renowned private investigator, Dom Minto, find out about Uma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on The Dysfunctional da Gama-Zogoiby Family. In your essay, discuss the following:
(1) in what ways were the family members dysfunctional, (2) how the behavior of one member of the family affected the others, (3) why their dysfunctional behavior could not be changed for the better.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Humor in The Moor's Last Sigh. To write this essay you will need to go through the novel and select some of the funny things Rushdie includes like oddball names for people, or lines like Uma's remark that Vasco's toilet paintings looked like Laurel and Hardon. This essay will require that you put the comedic lines in contest and an explanation as to why you are amused by them.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double spaced pages on Humane Incarceration. In your essay discuss:
(1) the need for prisons, (2) the deplorable conditions of prisons like the Indian prison Moor was sent to, and (3) the more humane prisons like Aires, Camoens, and Aurora endured. End your essay with your idea of how to improve prisons so that people coming out are prepared to re-enter society rather than become gangsters like Hammer.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)