|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Francisco da Gama do to the family chapel?
(a) change it into an office
(b) decorate it Hindu style
(c) change it to a sterile, modernist motif
(d) tear it down and put up a Buddhist temple
2. With whom does Epifania conspire to gain control of the family business?
(a) her daughters-in-law, Belle and Carmen
(b) the foreman at the family business
(c) her granddaughter, Aurora
(d) her current lover
3. Who makes a pilgrimage to Malgudi on the river Sarayu, to see the great Mahatma Gandhi?
4. What happens because of Aurora's political activities?
(a) she is run out of India
(b) she is sent to London to stand trial
(c) she is imprisoned for two years
(d) she is exiled to Italy
5. How does Flory die?
(a) a madman gives her some poison wine
(b) she strangles on a spice cake
(c) Aurora has her assassinated
(d) a madman immolates himself and Flory's robes catch fire
6. Speaking of his parents, how does Moraes refer to himself?
(a) as their big mistake
(b) as their love child
(c) as their bastard son
(d) as their only heir
7. What does Moraes lament?
(a) his heritage
(b) his lost love
(c) his short life
(d) his being a fugitive
8. From infancy through adolescence, what did Abraham see in the synagogue tiles?
(a) visions of his absent father
(b) visions of a girl like Aurora
(c) visions of the prophets
(d) visions of the martyrs
9. Why does Flory Zogoiby object to her son's marrying Aurora?
(a) because she is not a Jewess
(b) because she is too young
(c) because she doesn't want him to marry
(d) because she knows he is homosexual
10. Who was the doorkeeper of Elephanta, Aurora's estate according to Moraes?
(a) peg-legged Lambajan Chandiwala
(b) cross-eyed Lambajan Chandiwala
(c) bow-legged Lambajan Chandiwala
(d) deaf-eared Lambajan Chandiwala
11. What are Epifania's last words?
(a) a curse on Aurora
(b) a song of praise
(c) a prayer to St. Francis
(d) a blessing for Aurora
12. What does the family legend say is in Flory's treasure chest?
(a) a four hundred year old crown
(b) diamonds from Africa
(c) gold smuggled out of Spain
(d) a golden statue of Siva
13. What does Moraes tell the reader about the dark side of Vasco Miranda's personality?
(a) moodiness and holding grudges
(b) aggressive fury, alcohol and drug abuse, bisexual orgies
(c) drug smuggling and assassinations
(d) dealing in black magic and sorcery
14. What drove a wedge between the between Epifania and her husband and polarized their sons?
(a) Francisco da Gama's strange architecture preferences
(b) Francisco da Gama's scientific experiments
(c) Francisco da Gama's Indian nationalism
(d) Francisco da Gama's religious fanatacism
15. How does Moraes identify his family?
(a) as a family of many different ethnic backgrounds
(b) as great people who administered charties
(c) as frauds claiming to be what they are not
(d) as heirs to the Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the chapel after Francisco dies?
2. What is represented in Aurora's paintings?
3. Who is the person he begins his narrative with?
4. What taboo subject does he discuss in chapter 7?
5. How does Moraes say Lambajan lost his leg?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)