|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Epifania's last words?
(a) a blessing for Aurora
(b) a curse on Aurora
(c) a prayer to St. Francis
(d) a song of praise
2. What foliage does Camoens says is all he need to hear?
(b) olive trees
(c) spice plants
(d) his family tree
3. What does Aurora look like as a teenager?
(a) a short, beautiful thirteen year old
(b) a tall, thin, thirteen year old
(c) a short, obese thirteen year old
(d) a tall, square thirteen year old
4. What exists in a Benengeli village on a hill?
(a) a shrine to St. Helena
(b) Vasco Miranda's fortress
(c) a lighthouse for ships
(d) a cave of buried treasure
5. With whom does Epifania conspire to gain control of the family business?
(a) her granddaughter, Aurora
(b) the foreman at the family business
(c) her current lover
(d) her daughters-in-law, Belle and Carmen
6. The heiress to the da Gama fortune, Aurora falls in love with what older man?
(a) Aaron Zogoiby
(b) Adam Zogoiby
(c) Amos Zogoiby
(d) Abraham Zogoiby
7. Who is the first person allowed to see the paintings?
(a) her aunt, Carmen
(b) her uncle, aires
(c) her grandmother, Epifania
(d) her father, Camoens
8. Where does Aurora achieve fame for her artwork and her political activities?
9. What is foreshadowed during Aurora's confinement to her room?
(a) that she will be a great politician
(b) that she will be a great writer
(c) that she will be a great artist
(d) that she will be a noted singer
10. What does Aurora do to torment her father and uncle?
(a) commit acts of petty theft and vandalism
(b) leave notes on their doors at night
(c) wail like a ghost at night
(d) paint pictures of them nude
11. About what does Moraes soliloquize at the beginning of chapter 7?
(a) the authentic diversity of India
(b) the fear he has of death
(c) the reason for his tale
(d) the reason he is being pursued
12. What does Moraes say he is doing faster than he should?
(a) goinng through time
(b) running from Miranda
(c) telling his story
(d) breathing hard
13. How does he get the money to restore the business after the losses?
(a) from leasing out the company ships
(b) from bank loans
(c) from Flory's treasure chest
(d) from share cropping the spice fields
14. What happens to the chapel after Francisco dies?
(a) it becomes his mausoleum
(b) it is raxed to the ground
(c) it is left as a monument to him
(d) it is restored to its original decor
15. How does Moraes say Lambajan lost his leg?
(a) Aurora's driver ran over him
(b) it was shot off in the war
(c) Aurora ran over it in her Buick
(d) a shark got him swimming in the ocean
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aurora become?
2. What does Moraes say was his father's lament?
3. What changes Camoens from Gandhi to Nehru?
4. What happens that turns Carmen into a nurse for Aires and his lover?
5. Who does Moraes say helped Aurora when Abraham collapsed?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)