|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the person he begins his narrative with?
(a) his mother, Aurora
(b) his father, Abraham Zogoiby
(c) homosexual great uncle, Aires da Gama
(d) his grandmother, Isabella Ximena Souza da Gama
2. After the business is successful again, what does Flory do?
(a) gives Aurora a love potion to make her conceive
(b) brings the police to demand her payment
(c) threatens to kill Abraham
(d) takes the written promise of the son to Aurora
3. How did the people of Bombay regard Aurora da Gama?
(a) as demonic
(b) as helpless
(c) as angelic
(d) as ethereal
4. What happened after Flory's son was born?
(a) her husband died
(b) her husband went to prison
(c) her husband abandoned her
(d) her husband took two more wives
5. What is the play on words in the names of Aurora's four children, Ina, Minnie, Mynah, and Moor?
(a) I'm a minna in my moat
(b) in a meany minor mow
(c) in a minute mighty Moe
(d) eeny, meeny, miney, moe
6. Who was the doorkeeper of Elephanta, Aurora's estate according to Moraes?
(a) deaf-eared Lambajan Chandiwala
(b) cross-eyed Lambajan Chandiwala
(c) peg-legged Lambajan Chandiwala
(d) bow-legged Lambajan Chandiwala
7. What is Ganesha?
(a) a Hindu god with a human body and an elephant head
(b) a special food prepared for Hindu holy days
(c) a type of rare emerald found only in India
(d) a kind of Hindu offering left before Siva
8. What did Francisco da Gama do to the family chapel?
(a) change it into an office
(b) tear it down and put up a Buddhist temple
(c) decorate it Hindu style
(d) change it to a sterile, modernist motif
9. How does Moraes say his mother died?
(a) living to a ripe old age
(b) falling from her roof onto the rocks below
(c) having a heart attack on her roof
(d) being poisoned by her servants
10. What does Epifania's example cause the rest of the family to do?
(a) take up Catholicism
(b) fear her connection to God
(c) throw off organized religion
(d) join in her religious devotion
11. What does Moraes say was his father's lament?
(a) being an old father
(b) ever having married Aurora
(c) having to rest and catch his breath
(d) trying to keep up with Aurora
12. Which of the household servants could Aires not touch?
(a) the gardeners
(b) the cooks
(c) the latrine cleaners
(d) the boatmen
13. What does Moraes say he is doing faster than he should?
(a) telling his story
(b) running from Miranda
(c) goinng through time
(d) breathing hard
14. Who makes a pilgrimage to Malgudi on the river Sarayu, to see the great Mahatma Gandhi?
15. The heiress to the da Gama fortune, Aurora falls in love with what older man?
(a) Adam Zogoiby
(b) Aaron Zogoiby
(c) Abraham Zogoiby
(d) Amos Zogoiby
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Flory Zogoiby's husband and father of her child?
2. How did Francisco leave his estate and the Gama Trading Company?
3. How does Abie do at first when taking over the family business to run?
4. What was like the largest, hottest dish of curry ever cooked?
5. What need does Moraes have to be candid about his parents' sex life?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)