Short Essay Questions Key
1. Describe the opening of the novel.
Moraes Zogoiby has been on the run for some unnamed reason and is now resting in a deserted graveyard.
2. What has Moraes left on his trail as he sits collecting his breath in the graveyard?
He has left a series of narratives recounting the history of his family.
3. What does Moraes have to say about his mother and his lover, Uma?
He says they will eventually clash and leave him estranged from his artist mother.
4. What are the historical connections of the family Moor comes from?
They are descendants of the explorer Vasco da Gama and prominent in the opening of the Indian sub-continent as a commercial treasure.
5. How does Moor refer to the dysfunction of his family?
He refers to the legends of the battling da Gamas of Cochin when his mother was thirteen and living in her grandmother's house.
This section contains 2,094 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)