Short Answer Key
Part 1, Chapter 1
1. Where is Moraes Zogoiby at the opening of the novel?
a graveyard in Spain
2. Why is Moraes Zogoiby on the run?
he has escaped from prison
3. Where has Moraes left a trail of written narratives?
nailed to gates, fences, and trees along his way
4. Who is the person he begins his narrative with?
his mother, Aurora
5. How did the people of Bombay regard Aurora da Gama?
6. Why is Moraes estranged from his mother?
a clash over his lover, Uma
7. How does Moraes identify his family?
as heirs to the Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama
8. What is the literary symbolism of Moraes' nailing his passages along his escape route?
Martin Luther's theses on the church door
9. To what does Moraes compare his resting place in the cemetery?
the Mount of Olives
10. To what...
This section contains 2,620 words|
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)