|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Virginia say George was deluded about?
(a) His social status.
(b) His intelligence.
(c) His own worth.
(d) His religious beliefs.
2. What does Virginia say was the main difference between her mother and her oldest sister?
(a) Her sister was belligerent.
(b) Her mother was more skilled.
(c) Her sister was happier.
(d) Her mother was controlling.
3. What does Virginia say filled the home after Julia's death?
4. Why does Virginia say she remembered her mother so well, even though she was young at her death?
(a) It was traumatic to her.
(b) She was too young to be idealistic.
(c) She never had a chance to change the memories.
(d) It was a turning point in her life.
5. Who once touched Virginia in a sexual manner?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Virginia's mother show her controlling nature?
2. How did Vanessa deal with her stepfather's changing moods?
3. Where did Woolf get the material for her writing?
4. Why did Julia decide to marry her first husband?
5. What was Stella desperate to do for her family, according to Virginia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the editor say this book shows about the general artistic process?
2. How did Vanessa respond to her stepfather's changing moods?
3. Why did Virginia choose to write A Sketch of the Past?
4. What gave Virginia a sense of self-importance?
5. What does Virginia say saved Stella from physical mourning?
6. What did Virginia do early in her career to make herself a better writer?
7. Why did Julia marry her two husbands?
8. Why does Woolf say her recollections about her mother might be inaccurate?
9. Who was Virginia writing Recollections for?
10. Why does Virginia say her memories of Julia were so idealized?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)