|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Virginia Woolf make herself improve her skills?
(a) She had people criticize her work.
(b) She read a lot.
(c) She did daily drills.
(d) She burned works that were bad.
2. Where did Virginia get the material for A Sketch of the Past?
(a) All of these.
(b) Her other writings.
(c) Talks with her sister.
(d) Her memories.
3. What attracted Julia to her second husband?
(a) His intelligence.
(b) His handsome face.
(c) His wealth.
(d) His kindness.
4. Who once touched Virginia in a sexual manner?
5. What was the last name of Virginia's real father?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggested that Virginia should write her memoirs?
2. What was Stella desperate to do for her family, according to Virginia?
3. Where was Julia's governess from?
4. Which of the following did Virginia's mother NOT experience in her life?
5. How many marriage proposals did Julia receive by the time she was 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Woolf say her recollections about her mother might be inaccurate?
2. What did Virginia do early in her career to make herself a better writer?
3. Why was Sybil Colfax friends with Virginia?
4. Why does Virginia say it was hard to fully understand and write about her mother?
5. What gave Virginia a sense of self-importance?
6. What does Virginia say her mother had experienced before she was even 24 years of age?
7. What did George try to do after Stella's death, and how did Virginia respond to this?
8. What happened to Thoby after Stella's death?
9. Why did Virginia choose to write A Sketch of the Past?
10. Why was Virginia friends with Sybil Colfax?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)