|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Virginia say filled the home after Julia's death?
2. What does Virginia say provides the shocks needed for awareness?
(a) Past memories.
(b) Transcendant experiences.
(d) Traumatic happenings.
3. What did Woolf say she was always looking for in her life?
(a) Something of worth.
(b) Something greater and deeper.
(c) Something to belong to.
(d) Something to hold on to.
4. Which part of her mind does Virginia say made the first memory of the vacation home?
(a) Her spiritual mind.
(b) Her ephemeral mind.
(c) Her literary mind.
(d) Her literal mind.
5. Who once touched Virginia in a sexual manner?
6. How did Virginia's mother show her controlling nature?
(a) She was strict about education.
(b) She didn't let strangers into her home.
(c) She didn't allow maids to be hired in her home.
(d) She thought she could do everything better than others.
7. Who did Vanessa have an affair with?
8. How was George related to Virginia?
(a) He was her cousin.
(b) He was her stepbrother.
(c) He was her uncle.
(d) He was her half-brother.
9. Which of these words did Virginia use to describe Stella?
10. What did Stella die of?
(b) A heart attack.
11. How many levels was Woolf's work analyzed on by the editor?
12. What was Stella desperate to do for her family, according to Virginia?
(a) Serve them.
(b) Push them.
(c) Save them.
(d) Please them.
13. What was the name of Virginia's oldest nephew?
14. What does Virginia say Julia never had with any of her children?
(a) Strong connections.
(b) Good compliments.
(c) Private moments.
(d) Interesting dialogue.
15. What is "A Sketch From the Past" about?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does the editor use to describe these memoirs as glimpses into Virginia's life?
2. How does Virginia describe her mother's death?
3. How many living children did Virginia's mother have before marrying her second husband?
4. How does Virginia describe George?
5. Why does Virginia say her recollections might not be correct?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)