|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Woolf believe about people's identity?
(a) It did not exist.
(b) It was always changing.
(c) It remained the same.
(d) It could never be defined.
2. What did Woolf say she was always looking for in her life?
(a) Something to hold on to.
(b) Something greater and deeper.
(c) Something of worth.
(d) Something to belong to.
3. How did critics generally label Woolf's work?
4. What caused Julia to become a cynic?
(a) Her pastor was indicted for a crime.
(b) Her sister was murdered.
(c) Her wealth was lost.
(d) Her husband died.
5. How many living children did Virginia's mother have before marrying her second husband?
6. What was the name of the most important sister to Virginia?
7. Where did Woolf get the material for her writing?
(a) Her imagination.
(b) Her life.
(c) Her father's sermons.
(d) Her dreams.
8. How many marriage proposals did Julia receive by the time she was 18?
9. Which of the following did Virginia's mother NOT experience in her life?
(a) A child's death.
(d) Deep sickness.
10. What is "A Sketch From the Past" about?
11. What is one trait Virginia never wanted to possess?
12. How did Vanessa deal with her stepfather's changing moods?
(a) She was annoyed and quiet.
(b) She was shy and fearful.
(c) She was angry and volatile.
(d) She was curt and head-on.
13. Which part of her mind does Virginia say made the first memory of the vacation home?
(a) Her spiritual mind.
(b) Her literary mind.
(c) Her literal mind.
(d) Her ephemeral mind.
14. How did Woolf truly come to understand her beliefs and her place in the world?
(a) Through reading poetry.
(b) Through quiet contemplation in churches.
(c) Through talking with her father.
(d) Through writing fiction.
15. Why did Virginia's oldest sister feel so much guilt after her mother's death?
(a) She fought with her mother the day before.
(b) She was not there when it happened.
(c) She did not want to care for her family.
(d) She was afraid to have more responsibility.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Vanessa have an affair with?
2. What was Virginia's sister's occupation?
3. Where was Julia born?
4. What kind of fabric did Virginia compare day-to-day living to?
5. Where was the family vacation home?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)