|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the bar patronne say is young?
2. What is the last thing Chauvin says to Anne?
3. What question does Anne ask her child just after leaving the music lesson in Chapter 5?
4. What is the first thing that Chauvin comments to Anne when she arrives at the cafe in Chapter 8?
5. What is Chauvin talking about when he tells Anne "you better resign yourself to the idea"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Anne and Chauvin react when the child enters the cafe near the end of Chapter 6.
2. What causes the child to play his scales properly during his music lesson in Chapter 5?
3. How does Chauvin describe the flower on Anne's dress to her in Chapter 6?
4. How is the preparation of the salmon described in Chapter 7?
5. What does Anne do with the magnolia on her dress during the dinner party?
6. What do Anne and Chauvin talk about regarding the child when they first sit down in the cafe in Chapter 6?
7. Describe Anne and Chauvin's appearance in Chapter 8.
8. What does Anne say to Chauvin about her getting sick from wine the night before?
9. How do Anne and the child react when the teacher asks that someone besides Anne bring him to his music lessons from then on?
10. Describe Anne and Chauvin's first kiss.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of responsibility in the book. Are there any responsible characters present? What makes these characters appear as responsible? How did these characters make others appear more irresponsible?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the conflict between language and meaning in the book. Which character blurred the lines between the two most often? What significance does putting language and meaning in conflict play to the book's theme?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role outside characters, such as the patronne and the child, play in Anne and Chauvin's conversations. What does their reactions and dialogue say about the nature of Anne and Chauvin's relationship?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)