|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the teacher ask of Anne that causes the child to become upset at the end of Chapter 5?
2. What is described as smothered in an orange-shrouded coffin?
3. What floor is the teacher's apartment on?
4. What does Anne do to the flower on her dress during the dinner party?
5. Who says, "they don't ask to come into this world"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the teacher makes the child play scales as punishment in Chapter 5?
2. Describe the first time Anne and Chauvin physically touch.
3. What causes the child to play his scales properly during his music lesson in Chapter 5?
4. What does Anne say to Chauvin about her getting sick from wine the night before?
5. How does Chauvin describe the flower on Anne's dress to her in Chapter 6?
6. In what way does Chauvin tell Anne the dead woman obeyed her husband?
7. Describe how Anne and Chauvin react when the child enters the cafe near the end of Chapter 6.
8. How is the weather described at the beginning of Chapter 8?
9. How does the teacher respond to Anne after she says that to improve his piano playing her child just needs to apply himself more?
10. Describe Anne and the child's walk home from the cafe at the end of Chapter 6.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the siren in the book. What significance did have to the characters of the book? What did it signify to Anne and Chauvin during their meetings?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance in physical contact in the book. What is the difference in the contact between Anne and her child and Anne and Chauvin? What might physical contact signify to these characters?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Anne and Chauvin's relationship mirror their discussion of the dead woman and her husband? Is this done purposefully by both characters? What is the author's purpose for having these comparisons drawn?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)