|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Anne first go when she enters the cafe in Chapter 6?
2. During her conversation with Chauvin in Chapter 6, how long away does Anne say she will be taking her child on a vacation?
3. What is described as smothered in an orange-shrouded coffin?
4. Where does Anne sit during the music lesson in Chapter 5?
5. Finish the sentence: "Anne is ____ when it comes to her child".
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Anne and Chauvin's appearance in Chapter 8.
2. What does Anne do after leaving the dinner party?
3. What happens when the teacher makes the child play scales as punishment in Chapter 5?
4. What does Anne tell Chauvin about the women who lived behind the beech tree?
5. How does Chauvin describe the home life of the dead woman and her husband to Anne?
6. What does Anne say to Chauvin about her getting sick from wine the night before?
7. Describe Anne's appearance at her dinner party.
8. How are the guests at the dinner party described?
9. Describe how Anne leaves the cafe at the end of Chapter 8.
10. Describe the first time Anne and Chauvin physically touch.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the child's lack of obedience in the book. What reasons might the child have for misbehaving? What does his lack of obedience say about Anne's parenting?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of the child in the book. What reasons can be given for not giving the child a name? What role does the child play to the book's overall theme?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the role and symbolism of the magnolia in the book.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)