|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with Anne when she comes to the cafe in Chapter 8?
2. Who does the bar patronne say is young?
3. What has Chauvin failed to do the morning of his and Anne's meeting at the cafe in Chapter 8?
4. How many minutes of scales does the teacher make the child do as punishment?
5. Who is outside of Anne's house during the dinner party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Anne's appearance at her dinner party.
2. What causes the child to play his scales properly during his music lesson in Chapter 5?
3. What does Anne do with the magnolia on her dress during the dinner party?
4. What does Anne say to Chauvin about her getting sick from wine the night before?
5. Describe Anne and Chauvin's first kiss.
6. What happens when the teacher makes the child play scales as punishment in Chapter 5?
7. What does the patronne tell Chauvin about Anne during the child's music lesson in Chapter 5?
8. What does Anne tell Chauvin about the women who lived behind the beech tree?
9. Describe Anne and the child's walk home from the cafe at the end of Chapter 6.
10. How do Anne and the child react when the teacher asks that someone besides Anne bring him to his music lessons from then on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Anne's parenting ability in the book. In what was did she fail as a parent and where did she succeed? What did Anne's attitude toward parenting say about her state of mind?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of responsibility in the book. Are there any responsible characters present? What makes these characters appear as responsible? How did these characters make others appear more irresponsible?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the role and symbolism of wine in the book.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)