|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the teacher complain to Anne that the child is doing to her?
(a) Hitting her.
(b) Yelling at her.
(c) Spitting on her.
(d) Making fun of her.
2. What does Chauvin do when he sees Anne coming toward the cafe in Chapter 8?
(a) Goes inside and waits for her.
(b) Waits outside for her.
(c) Ignores her.
(d) Yells at her.
3. Who says they're afraid in Chapter 8?
(a) The child.
(d) The patronne.
4. How does the book say the child played the sonatina at the end of his lesson in Chapter 5?
(a) Almost perfect.
5. Which of the following rooms does Chauvin not mention Anne watching men on the street from?
6. What event is Anne late for when she talks with Chauvin in the cafe?
(a) The opera.
(b) A dinner reservation.
(c) The factory workers party.
(d) A dinner party.
7. After she told him of the dead women who once lived in her bedroom, what does Anne say the child asked?
(a) He wanted to talk to them.
(b) He missed them.
(c) He wanted to meet them.
(d) He was scared of them.
8. Near the end of Chapter 6, who says they were lying about their explanations regarding the dead woman and her husband?
(a) The child.
(c) The patronne.
9. Where does Anne tell Chauvin she will be taking her child on vacation?
(a) The mountains.
(b) The seashore.
(c) The city.
(d) The lake.
10. When Chauvin begins describing a scene to Anne in the cafe in Chapter 6, what does he say she is leaning on?
(a) A sofa.
(b) A chair.
(c) A grand piano.
(d) The staircase.
11. What does Anne tell Chauvin concerning her child in Chapter 8?
(a) That she hates him.
(b) That she misses him.
(c) That she invented him.
(d) That she adores him.
12. Who is outside of Anne's house during the dinner party?
(b) The patronne.
(c) The child.
(d) The teacher.
13. What does Anne do to the flower on her dress during the dinner party?
(a) Tears it.
(b) Takes it off.
(c) Smells it.
(d) Crumples it.
14. What key does the teacher have the child play the scales in?
(a) D minor.
(b) D major.
(c) C minor.
(d) C major.
15. Where does Anne first go when she enters the cafe in Chapter 6?
(a) The end of the bar.
(b) In a booth.
(c) By the window.
(d) At a table.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anne wish for Chauvin to tell her before she leaves the cafe in Chapter 6?
2. What does Anne do on the floor of the room after leaving the dinner party?
3. Who says, "we're going to leave things just as they are...that happens sometimes"?
4. What object does Anne not remember that Chauvin continues to describe in such detail?
5. What is Chauvin talking about when he tells Anne "you better resign yourself to the idea"?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)