|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the music lesson ends in Chapter 1, who does Anne see when she enters the cafe below the teacher's apartment?
(a) A dead woman.
(b) A dead man.
(c) A hurt woman.
(d) A hurt man.
2. Who says, "I suspect that he would have done it of his own accord one day"?
(a) The man.
(b) The child.
(d) The patronne.
3. What does Anne tell the man at the bar she does with her child everyday?
(a) Buys him a toy.
(b) Takes him on a boat ride.
(c) Feeds him.
(d) Takes him on a walk.
4. What does Anne tell the man she wishes of her child?
(a) That he were smarter.
(b) That he was a baby.
(c) That he was already grown.
(d) That he had better manners.
5. What kind of problems does Anne suggest the dead woman might have had?
(b) Stress related.
6. What is the man at the bar doing when Anne first enters?
(a) Doing a puzzle.
(b) Drinking coffee.
(c) Reading a book.
(d) Reading a newspaper.
7. How many years ago did Anne get married?
8. What does the bar patronne do once the workday has ended?
(a) Sets up glasses.
(b) Turns up the radio.
(c) Wipes the counter.
(d) Turns down the radio and sets up glasses on the bar.
9. Anne tells the man that she throws a reception for whom at her house every year?
(a) The restaurant workers.
(b) The factory workers.
(c) The teachers in town.
(d) Her friends.
10. What does the child question Anne about that she refuses to answer?
(a) Who the man is.
(b) Why they are at the bar.
(c) When they are leaving.
(d) The source of the scream.
11. What does Anne lecture the child about at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) His attitude.
(b) His clothes.
(c) Playing his lesson perfectly.
(d) Piano etiquette and respect.
12. What gesture does the man make towards Anne near the end of their conversation in Chapter 3?
(a) Puts his hand near hers.
(b) Shakes her hand.
(c) Holds her hand.
(d) Hugs her.
13. What does Anne first ask the man when they talk at the cafe in Chapter 3?
(a) What his name is.
(b) Where he lives.
(c) Why he isn't working.
(d) Why he is there.
14. Where does Anne tell the man her house is located?
(a) The red one on the Boulevard de la Mer.
(b) The last one on the Boulevard de la Mer.
(c) The first one on the Boulevard de Sands.
(d) The blue one on the Boulevard de Sands.
15. What does the child stop and watch on his way home at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) The waves.
(b) The birds.
(c) The lightning.
(d) The boats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last name of Anne and the child?
2. What time does the workday end?
3. Which of the following does Anne not see in the cafe in Chapter 1?
4. Where does the child play while Anne drinks at the bar?
5. To what does Anne compare the dead woman's scream when discussing the death with the man?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)