|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, why does Katniss feel the need to defend the effectiveness of her bow?
2. In Chapter 10, what reason has District 13 had to assume the Capitol would not attempt to bomb their district?
3. In Chapter 11, how long are the residents of District 13 forced to remain in their bunker before it is deemed safe to return to the higher levels of the compound?
4. In Chapter 6, who does Katniss remember carrying during the Quarter Quell competition?
5. In Chapter 10, what does President call the drill that will move all the residents of District 13 to a safe location should they be bombed?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what excuse is given for Katniss' disappearance after the Quarter Quell and sudden reappearance in District 8?
2. In Chapter 10, how does Katniss react to the image of Peeta being beaten on the broadcast? How does Haymitch respond?
3. In Chapter 9, what does Katniss fear the most about the way in which Peeta is being treated by the Capitol? What does this say about Katniss' feelings for Peeta?
4. In Chapter 10, who rescues Katniss' personal items from her District 13 quarters? What is among these possessions?
5. At the end of Chapter 11, Haymitch tells Katniss that a rescue party has been formed. For what purpose?
6. In Chapter 9, why does Katniss agree to return to District 12?
7. In Chapter 9, Katniss sings a song that has a history in her family. What is the song about and why did her mother force her to stop singing it?
8. Who does Katniss see on the Capitol television broadcast in Chapter 2? How does this make her feel?
9. In Chapter 8, the reader gets some insight into Katniss' relationship with her mother. Why does Katniss not refer to her mother when she participates in rebellion activities?
10. In Chapter 10, Katniss has a chance to speak with her sister for the first time in weeks. What does Katniss learn about her sister that both surprises her and makes her happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where does Katniss find her design team? In what condition are they in? For what reason? Who placed Katniss' team here? What was the purpose of doing this? What does Katniss do about the state of her design team? What warning should Katniss take from the torture and imprisonment of her design team? Does she?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Gale? How long have Katniss and Gale known one another? What would their relationship be like if Katniss had never volunteered to take her sister's place in the Hunger Games? How has the Hunger Games changed Katniss? How has it changed Katniss' relationship with Gale? How does Katniss feel about Gale now that they are living in District 13? How does Gale feel about Katniss?
Essay Topic 3
What is District 8? Why does Katniss go there? Why do the peacekeepers attack while Katniss is in District 8? How does Katniss respond to this attack? What do Katniss's actions say about her, about her possible future? Who films the attack? What is done with the footage? For what reason? How does Katniss feel about this development?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)