|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Queequeg while he helps locate the oil leak?
2. Given the irony of the coffin turned life buoy, what is the feeling of foreshadowing?
3. Which of the characters keep watch on both the crew and the ocean?
4. Why does Ishmael linger on the Biblical story of Jonah?
5. How does Stubb regain a dead whale from a French whaling boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ahab transfer onto the Samuel Enderby to hear its captain's story?
2. Relate the sad story of Pip.
3. What is foreshadowed by a dream on Ahab's whaling boat?
4. What contest occurs between the Pequod and a German whaling ship?
5. What happens when Tashtego accidentally falls into the oil-filled head of the whale?
6. What is the secret that Ishmael lets slip about why Ahab stayed in his cabin so long at the beginning of the trip?
7. What is the change in the crew as they head out in search of Moby Dick?
8. Explain how Stubb uses his sense of humor to trick a French whaling ship into leaving a dead whale.
9. What is the evidence that there is still a vestige of humanity left in Ahab?
10. What is occupying the mind of the captain of the Rachel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on respect. Use the example of Starbuck who disagrees with Ahab's vendetta against a whale but always follows orders, even when he thinks they are wrong. Define why respect for the captain and the crew is necessary to maintain order on a ship.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages comparing the character Bildad in MOBY DICK to the Bildad in the book of Job who God said darkened counsel without knowledge. Point out dialog of Bildad that shows his limited understanding of the real world.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the possible homoerotic overtones in the relationship between Queequeg and Ishmael. Express your opinion as to how you view this relationship. Take into consideration the culture from which Queequeg comes. Do a quick survey of Melville's life to justify your conclusion.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)