Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Starbuck is talking, what is Ahab thinking?
2. What does Ishmael say about why some captured whales float while others tend to sink?
3. What is the name of the ship the Pequod meets in Chapter 100?
4. What does Flask see as he examines the doubloon?
5. Which of the following does a shark not use its tail for?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine what it expresses about the world in the mid 19th century:
1) The Spanish gold coin
2) Pip's insanity
3) Mistrust of other cultures and religions
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on religion in Melville's novel, MOBY DICK. Begin with the sermon in the Whaleman's Chapel. Mention Queequeg's devotion to his Yojo. Go to the argument Ishmael has with the man from Sar Harbor. Conclude with the religious parallels to the names Melville chose for his characters.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the mystery of the sea. Begin with the mysterious things about the sea that Melville presents in the novel. Move into the present where there are still many things we do not know about the sea. Explain why the sea is so difficult to understand including its size, its atmospheric pressure, and its eco-systems.
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)