|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Queequeg while he helps locate the oil leak?
2. What does Queequeg see in the Spanish doubloon?
3. How does Ahab become more irritated as the Pequod sails in the Pacific Ocean?
4. What does Pip do when a whale is harpooned?
5. What is the carpenter ordered to do with Queequeg's coffin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ishmael trying to ascertain as he ponders fossil remains of whales he has read about?
2. Explain two instances that Starbuck interprets as signs that God does not support Ahab's revenge on Moby Dick.
3. What conundrum does Ishmael pose about the whale's biological system?
4. Why does Ahab change his attitude toward the leaking casks of whale oil?
5. What is foreshadowed by a dream on Ahab's whaling boat?
6. What is the evidence that there is still a vestige of humanity left in Ahab?
7. What further insult does Ahab act out after meeting the Delight?
8. Explain how Stubb uses his sense of humor to trick a French whaling ship into leaving a dead whale.
9. What is the change in the crew as they head out in search of Moby Dick?
10. How does Starbuck try to take advantage of Ahab's tears?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the hard life of whalers. Mention the three year expeditions required to fill the ship with valuable whale oil. Discuss the weather conditions that make the trip more dangerous. Detail the need to go out in small boats to get near enough to the whales to harpoon them.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on Melville as a novelist. Mention the parts of Moby Dick that you found the most interesting. Discuss also some of the drier parts of the novel that tend to interrupt the flow of the story. Give your opinion about his use of language to paint a picture of life on a whaling ship.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on respect. Use the example of Starbuck who disagrees with Ahab's vendetta against a whale but always follows orders, even when he thinks they are wrong. Define why respect for the captain and the crew is necessary to maintain order on a ship.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)