|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character is introduced in this section?
2. What kind of sea animal bites at the men's oars?
3. What do passing sailors say about the white whale?
4. What does Queequeg see in the Spanish doubloon?
5. From what does the Pequod escape at sea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the possible homoerotic overtones in the relationship between Queequeg and Ishmael. Express your opinion as to how you view this relationship. Take into consideration the culture from which Queequeg comes. Do a quick survey of Melville's life to justify your conclusion.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Melville's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Melville use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)