|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Captain Ahab doing as the Pequod sails away from The Delight?
2. How did the watch on the mast of The Rachel know that Moby Dick had probably been harpooned.
3. What is the effect of Ahab's distraction on Starbuck?
4. How does Ahab become more irritated as the Pequod sails in the Pacific Ocean?
5. What is the news from The Rachel as it nears the Pequod?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain two instances that Starbuck interprets as signs that God does not support Ahab's revenge on Moby Dick.
2. What conundrum does Ishmael pose about the whale's biological system?
3. What contest occurs between the Pequod and a German whaling ship?
4. How does Ishmael show the further mental deterioration of Ahab?
5. After killing the sperm whale, why does Ahab want them to capture and kill the less valuable Right Whale?
6. What is occupying the mind of the captain of the Rachel?
7. What is Ishmael trying to ascertain as he ponders fossil remains of whales he has read about?
8. What happens when Tashtego accidentally falls into the oil-filled head of the whale?
9. Describe the madness of Ahab that loses his humanity.
10. What is the problem with maritime laws pertaining to whaling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on respect. Use the example of Starbuck who disagrees with Ahab's vendetta against a whale but always follows orders, even when he thinks they are wrong. Define why respect for the captain and the crew is necessary to maintain order on a ship.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the beauty of whales in their natural habitat. Include such things as how they jump out of the water, the impressive look of their spouts, the way they utilize their tails, how graceful they are for such large creatures, and modern recordings of whale songs.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages comparing the character Bildad in MOBY DICK to the Bildad in the book of Job who God said darkened counsel without knowledge. Point out dialog of Bildad that shows his limited understanding of the real world.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)