|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ishmael conclude about whales' olfactory and vocal systems?
2. Why does Ahab's boat stay in the ocean and not return after they catch four whales?
3. When Pip is finally rescued after jumping the second time from the boat, what is his condition?
4. Why does Ishmael linger on the Biblical story of Jonah?
5. How is Starbuck a singular character on board the Pequod at this point?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ahab transfer onto the Samuel Enderby to hear its captain's story?
2. Describe Ishmael's arguments against the man who doubts the Bible.
3. What is the secret that Ishmael lets slip about why Ahab stayed in his cabin so long at the beginning of the trip?
4. Relate the sad story of Pip.
5. What conundrum does Ishmael pose about the whale's biological system?
6. After killing the sperm whale, why does Ahab want them to capture and kill the less valuable Right Whale?
7. Why does Ahab change his attitude toward the leaking casks of whale oil?
8. Why does Ahab order a basket to take him to the top of one of the masts?
9. What happens when Tashtego accidentally falls into the oil-filled head of the whale?
10. How is Ahab killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on Fearing the Unknown. Using the example of Ishmael's initial reaction to Queequeg, demonstrate in your essay how people tend to fear what is new or unexplained. Note how as Ishmael begins to learn Queequeg's ways, he becomes less fearful and soon they bond as friends. End your essay with a statement about how eliminating prejudicial fear would make the world a better place.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on dealing with hardships. Using examples from MOBY DICK, your essay should point out how human beings have the ability to deal with difficult situations. Discuss ways people deal with hardships today.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the hard life of whalers. Mention the three year expeditions required to fill the ship with valuable whale oil. Discuss the weather conditions that make the trip more dangerous. Detail the need to go out in small boats to get near enough to the whales to harpoon them.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)