|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What foreshadows what is likely to happen to Ahab and Fedallah?
2. When Tashtego accidentally falls into the oil-filled head of the whale, who rescues him?
3. How does Ahab die?
4. What does Ishmael say the head of the sperm whale contains?
5. What happens that is uncharacteristic of Ahab?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ishmael's arguments against the man who doubts the Bible.
2. Explain why the Pequod sails in the wrong direction.
3. What is the change in the crew as they head out in search of Moby Dick?
4. How does Starbuck try to take advantage of Ahab's tears?
5. What conundrum does Ishmael pose about the whale's biological system?
6. What is foreshadowed by a dream on Ahab's whaling boat?
7. Why does Ahab change his attitude toward the leaking casks of whale oil?
8. What is so interesting about the perceptions of the Spanish doubloon nailed to the mast?
9. What is the secret that Ishmael lets slip about why Ahab stayed in his cabin so long at the beginning of the trip?
10. How does Ishmael show the further mental deterioration of Ahab?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on dealing with hardships. Using examples from MOBY DICK, your essay should point out how human beings have the ability to deal with difficult situations. Discuss ways people deal with hardships today.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on people who take dangerous occupations. In Melville's day, perhaps whaling the most dangerous occupation in the world. Compare that to some dangerous occupations today. Conclude with whether you would ever undertake a really dangerous job.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on life in a coastal town. Use the differences Ishmael notices between how people live in New Bedford and Nantucket from the way people live inland. Give your opinion as to what it is about coastal people that make them different from other communities. If you have personal experience with a coastal town, work those into your essay.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)