|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on this first encounter with Moby Dick?
2. What do they find in the corpse of the blind and crippled whale?
3. Where does Ishmael say the brain of the sperm whale lies?
4. Why does Ishmael linger on the Biblical story of Jonah?
5. What makes Starbuck come and talk to Ahab.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ahab change his attitude toward the leaking casks of whale oil?
2. Why does Ahab order a basket to take him to the top of one of the masts?
3. What conundrum does Ishmael pose about the whale's biological system?
4. Explain how Stubb uses his sense of humor to trick a French whaling ship into leaving a dead whale.
5. What is the change in the crew as they head out in search of Moby Dick?
6. What is the ominous message from the whaling ship Delight?
7. Describe the madness of Ahab that loses his humanity.
8. How does Ishmael show the further mental deterioration of Ahab?
9. How is Ahab killed?
10. Relate the sad story of Pip.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages comparing the character Bildad in MOBY DICK to the Bildad in the book of Job who God said darkened counsel without knowledge. Point out dialog of Bildad that shows his limited understanding of the real world.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the possible homoerotic overtones in the relationship between Queequeg and Ishmael. Express your opinion as to how you view this relationship. Take into consideration the culture from which Queequeg comes. Do a quick survey of Melville's life to justify your conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on how literature helps understand ages past. Use the sights, sounds, and customs of 19th century America as written about in the novel to describe what life was like then. Note in your essay the things like whale oil for lighting that are no longer necessary. Write your opinion about such things as room sharing at an inn and the communal meals in the dining room. Explain why you would or would not like to have lived during those times.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)