|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second objection the Sag Harbor man has for the veracity of the story of Jonah?
2. What do passing sailors say about the white whale?
3. What makes Ahab return quickly to the Pequod from the Samuel Enderby?
4. What is Ahab thinking about as he looks out to sea?
5. When Pip is finally rescued after jumping the second time from the boat, what is his condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ironic thought does Ahab have while looking at Queequeg's coffin?
2. What is the evidence that there is still a vestige of humanity left in Ahab?
3. Explain two instances that Starbuck interprets as signs that God does not support Ahab's revenge on Moby Dick.
4. Describe Ishmael's arguments against the man who doubts the Bible.
5. What is the change in the crew as they head out in search of Moby Dick?
6. Explain how Stubb uses his sense of humor to trick a French whaling ship into leaving a dead whale.
7. What is the secret that Ishmael lets slip about why Ahab stayed in his cabin so long at the beginning of the trip?
8. Explain why the Pequod sails in the wrong direction.
9. Relate the sad story of Pip.
10. Why does Ahab order a basket to take him to the top of one of the masts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on respect. Use the example of Starbuck who disagrees with Ahab's vendetta against a whale but always follows orders, even when he thinks they are wrong. Define why respect for the captain and the crew is necessary to maintain order on a ship.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the literary use of personification. Begin with how Ahab assigns human characteristics to Moby Dick, believing that the whale is a mortal enemy, conscious of a vendetta against him. Then go to children's stories where animal characters think and talk like humans. Discuss personification as a device to explain relationships between humans and animals.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on dealing with hardships. Using examples from MOBY DICK, your essay should point out how human beings have the ability to deal with difficult situations. Discuss ways people deal with hardships today.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)