|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Starbuck is talking, what is Ahab thinking?
2. What does Ishmael say about why some captured whales float while others tend to sink?
3. What is the name of the ship the Pequod meets in Chapter 100?
4. What does Flask see as he examines the doubloon?
5. Which of the following does a shark not use its tail for?
Essay Topic 1
Write a 500-word essay revolving around the following statement: The fact that more positive characters such as Stubb are given non-religious names, suggests an anti-religious stand. Is religion portrayed positively or negatively in the story? Defend your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the beauty of whales in their natural habitat. Include such things as how they jump out of the water, the impressive look of their spouts, the way they utilize their tails, how graceful they are for such large creatures, and modern recordings of whale songs.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on dealing with hardships. Using examples from MOBY DICK, your essay should point out how human beings have the ability to deal with difficult situations. Discuss ways people deal with hardships today.
This section contains 1,367 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)