|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to some of the crew of The Delight?
2. What does a whale breathe from?
3. Why does one man denounce the story of Jonah and the whale?
4. What danger does Ishmael say the whale wields in particular?
5. What does Ismael say has happened to the whale over the years?
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the first, second and third mates? Are there any weaknesses in the ship's crew? How will the Christians deal with people they regard as savages?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the character of Pip. Describe his position on the Pequod. Detail the reason for his jumping twice out of the whaling boat. Explain how fear left him insane. Finally, explain his usefulness to the plot of MOBY DICK.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the beauty of whales in their natural habitat. Include such things as how they jump out of the water, the impressive look of their spouts, the way they utilize their tails, how graceful they are for such large creatures, and modern recordings of whale songs.
This section contains 1,381 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)