Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Starbuck is talking, what is Ahab thinking?
2. What does Ishmael say about why some captured whales float while others tend to sink?
3. What is the name of the ship the Pequod meets in Chapter 100?
4. What does Flask see as he examines the doubloon?
5. Which of the following does a shark not use its tail for?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on people who take dangerous occupations. In Melville's day, perhaps whaling the most dangerous occupation in the world. Compare that to some dangerous occupations today. Conclude with whether you would ever undertake a really dangerous job.
Essay Topic 2
The novel is written in the first person. Why do you think Melville chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the third person?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Melvilles's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book? Where could he have learned about the world of whaling? In what ways is he like or unlike the main character Ismael?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)