|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tashtego accidentally falls into the oil-filled head of the whale, who rescues him?
2. Given the irony of the coffin turned life buoy, what is the feeling of foreshadowing?
3. What does Ishmael conclude about whales' olfactory and vocal systems?
4. What is the carpenter ordered to do with Queequeg's coffin?
5. What does Stubb get from the dead whale?
Short Essay Questions
1. What contest occurs between the Pequod and a German whaling ship?
2. What is foreshadowed by a dream on Ahab's whaling boat?
3. What happens when Tashtego accidentally falls into the oil-filled head of the whale?
4. Why does Ahab order a basket to take him to the top of one of the masts?
5. What is happening to Queequeg's coffin?
6. Explain how Stubb uses his sense of humor to trick a French whaling ship into leaving a dead whale.
7. What is the secret that Ishmael lets slip about why Ahab stayed in his cabin so long at the beginning of the trip?
8. What is the evidence that there is still a vestige of humanity left in Ahab?
9. After killing the sperm whale, why does Ahab want them to capture and kill the less valuable Right Whale?
10. What conundrum does Ishmael pose about the whale's biological system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on understanding other cultures. Begin with Ishmael's initial fear of Queequeg. Note how Queequeg did not seem so strange after Ishmael sees many other ethnic people on the streets of New Bedford. Discuss how Queequeg begins to see Ishmael as his brother. Finish with how religious prejudice like Bildad's tends to resist inter-cultural understanding.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on why we know so much more about whales now than Melville knew. Discuss the modern technology that allows whales to be observed in their natural underwater habitat. Mention modern photography that shows the whale as it is and not as an artist imagines it.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on life in a coastal town. Use the differences Ishmael notices between how people live in New Bedford and Nantucket from the way people live inland. Give your opinion as to what it is about coastal people that make them different from other communities. If you have personal experience with a coastal town, work those into your essay.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)