|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides the whales in the oceans, what else does Ishmael include in his discussion?
2. Which of the following does the crew find inside the whale?
3. What happens to Ahab's hat as he perches atop the mast?
4. What is the carpenter doing when Ahab ascends to deck the next morning?
5. How does Stubb regain a dead whale from a French whaling boat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the religious references in the book, examine Melville's opinion of religion.
1) In what way is Melville's negative view of religion a comment on 1850s society? Do you think his negative standpoint contributed to the book's poor critical reception?
2) Why is religion such a effective way of critically examining American society?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on life in a coastal town. Use the differences Ishmael notices between how people live in New Bedford and Nantucket from the way people live inland. Give your opinion as to what it is about coastal people that make them different from other communities. If you have personal experience with a coastal town, work those into your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Melville's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 1,381 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)