|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ishmael say whale ship crew members often do with the bones of whales?
2. Where is Captain Ahab as the crew begins coming aboard the Pequod?
3. What accommodation is available for Ishmael at the inn in New Bedford?
4. What does Ahab question the men about?
5. Why does Ahab insist that the captain of the Jeroboam come aboard the Pequod?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the amusing account of Queequeg and the wheelbarrow?
2. What does Ahab want from the first whaling ship they meet in the ocean?
3. Describe how Ishmael becomes uneasy about Captain Ahab.
4. Why is the story of Radney and Steelkilt important to the story?
5. Explain the importance of Chapters 45 and 46 in understanding the enemy Captain Ahab is up against.
6. Describe the behavior of the mates dining in the captain's cabin as they torment the cook who serves their meal.
7. Explain the function of the "monkey" on board a whaling ship.
8. What ominous encounter do Ishmael and Queequeg have after they have signed onto the Pequod?
9. Explain the mistaken identity that causes Ahab to order lowering of the boats.
10. Describe the curious rumor about other fish and Moby Dick.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on respect. Use the example of Starbuck who disagrees with Ahab's vendetta against a whale but always follows orders, even when he thinks they are wrong. Define why respect for the captain and the crew is necessary to maintain order on a ship.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the character of Pip. Describe his position on the Pequod. Detail the reason for his jumping twice out of the whaling boat. Explain how fear left him insane. Finally, explain his usefulness to the plot of MOBY DICK.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages comparing the character Bildad in MOBY DICK to the Bildad in the book of Job who God said darkened counsel without knowledge. Point out dialog of Bildad that shows his limited understanding of the real world.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)