|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Ahab's vengeance done to him?
2. Why does Ahab insist that the captain of the Jeroboam come aboard the Pequod?
3. What insane crew member of the Jeroboam claims to be the Angel Gabriel?
4. What does Ahab question the men about?
5. What is the speculation about the noise coming from the after hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the amusing account of Queequeg and the wheelbarrow?
2. Describe the appropriate text Father Maple uses in his sermon to the whalers in New Bedford.
3. Detail the problems of holding a whale overnight tied to the side of the ship.
4. How does Ahab express his mission on this trip of the Pequod?
5. How does the first day of whaling affect Ishmael?
6. What does Ahab want from the first whaling ship they meet in the ocean?
7. What is the function of Charity, Bildad's sister, in the preparations for the Pequod's journey?
8. Describe the curious rumor about other fish and Moby Dick.
9. How does Ishmael happen to share a bed with a tattooed headhunter?
10. What behavior of whales works to the advantage of whaling ships looking for them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the possible homoerotic overtones in the relationship between Queequeg and Ishmael. Express your opinion as to how you view this relationship. Take into consideration the culture from which Queequeg comes. Do a quick survey of Melville's life to justify your conclusion.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on Fearing the Unknown. Using the example of Ishmael's initial reaction to Queequeg, demonstrate in your essay how people tend to fear what is new or unexplained. Note how as Ishmael begins to learn Queequeg's ways, he becomes less fearful and soon they bond as friends. End your essay with a statement about how eliminating prejudicial fear would make the world a better place.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on life in a coastal town. Use the differences Ishmael notices between how people live in New Bedford and Nantucket from the way people live inland. Give your opinion as to what it is about coastal people that make them different from other communities. If you have personal experience with a coastal town, work those into your essay.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)