|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ishmael's religious affiliation?
2. To what does Ishmael compare the differences between land and sea?
3. Why does Ahab insist that the captain of the Jeroboam come aboard the Pequod?
4. What does Ishmael decide to do about Queequeg?
5. What is the harpooner, Queequeg, out doing when Ishmael is shown to his room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the amusing account of Queequeg and the wheelbarrow?
2. Explain the startling thing that Ishmael learns about his friend, Queequeg.
3. How does Ahab express his mission on this trip of the Pequod?
4. What is the function of Charity, Bildad's sister, in the preparations for the Pequod's journey?
5. Describe the curious rumor about other fish and Moby Dick.
6. What does Ishmael think about paintings and drawings of whales?
7. What does Ahab do to disturb the crew during the night?
8. At what point does Ishmael go into a discussion about whales in general.
9. Explain why Ishmael decides to book himself on a whaling ship.
10. What does Ahab want from the first whaling ship they meet in the ocean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on Fearing the Unknown. Using the example of Ishmael's initial reaction to Queequeg, demonstrate in your essay how people tend to fear what is new or unexplained. Note how as Ishmael begins to learn Queequeg's ways, he becomes less fearful and soon they bond as friends. End your essay with a statement about how eliminating prejudicial fear would make the world a better place.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the beauty of whales in their natural habitat. Include such things as how they jump out of the water, the impressive look of their spouts, the way they utilize their tails, how graceful they are for such large creatures, and modern recordings of whale songs.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on a character from MOBY DICK you would like to meet. Give specific examples of the behavior of that character and explain why he or she would be someone you would like to know.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)