Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Ishmael attribute the hieroglyphic-like markings on the whale skin?
2. How does Ishmael recognize newcomers to whaling on the streets of New Bedford?
3. What does Charity bring for the crew of the ship?
4. Why does Elijah challenge Ishmael to find the men he saw heading for the Pequod?
5. What do Queequeg and Ishmael do before they sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the importance of Chapters 45 and 46 in understanding the enemy Captain Ahab is up against.
2. Describe the curious rumor about other fish and Moby Dick.
3. Why does Ishmael soon lose his astonishment over Queequeg in New Bedford?
4. How does Ahab react to the news that the captain lost his son in Chapter 128?
5. Why does Ahab change his attitude toward the leaking casks of whale oil?
6. What is happening to Queequeg's coffin?
7. Describe Fedallah's dream in this section.
8. What behavior of whales works to the advantage of whaling ships looking for them?
9. What do Queequeg and Ismael exchange with each other when they become friends?
10. Why does the encounter with the Bachelor irritate Ahab?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following characters and write his character background:
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on a character from MOBY DICK you would like to meet. Give specific examples of the behavior of that character and explain why he or she would be someone you would like to know.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Melville's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)