Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Ishmael attribute the hieroglyphic-like markings on the whale skin?
2. How does Ishmael recognize newcomers to whaling on the streets of New Bedford?
3. What does Charity bring for the crew of the ship?
4. Why does Elijah challenge Ishmael to find the men he saw heading for the Pequod?
5. What do Queequeg and Ishmael do before they sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the importance of Chapters 45 and 46 in understanding the enemy Captain Ahab is up against.
2. Describe the curious rumor about other fish and Moby Dick.
3. Why does Ishmael soon lose his astonishment over Queequeg in New Bedford?
4. How does Ahab react to the news that the captain lost his son in Chapter 128?
5. Why does Ahab change his attitude toward the leaking casks of whale oil?
6. What is happening to Queequeg's coffin?
7. Describe Fedallah's dream in this section.
8. What behavior of whales works to the advantage of whaling ships looking for them?
9. What do Queequeg and Ismael exchange with each other when they become friends?
10. Why does the encounter with the Bachelor irritate Ahab?
Choose one of the following characters and write his character background:
Using the religious references in the book, examine Melville's opinion of religion.
1) In what way is Melville's negative view of religion a comment on 1850s society? Do you think his negative standpoint contributed to the book's poor critical reception?
2) Why is religion such a effective way of critically examining American society?
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on Ishmael as the narrator of MOBY DICK. Explain what makes Ishmael a good choice as narrator in terms of his education and background. Why does Ishmael relate better to the general reader than Starbuck or Flask might have? Why is it necessary to the story that Ishmael survive the destruction of the Pequod?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)