|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Queequeg's amusing story about the ship captain attending a wedding in his father's court?
2. What is the name of the inn where Ishmael stays while waiting to go to Nantucket?
3. How does Ishmael describe the possibility of mutiny on a whale ship?
4. How does Queequeg distinguish himself on the trip to Nantucket?
5. What is Starbuck's disagreement with Ahab's purpose for the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the amusing account of Queequeg and the wheelbarrow?
2. Explain the function of the "monkey" on board a whaling ship.
3. How does Ishmael inform the reader about the process of whale hunting?
4. Explain the importance of Chapters 45 and 46 in understanding the enemy Captain Ahab is up against.
5. Explain the mistaken identity that causes Ahab to order lowering of the boats.
6. Describe how Ishmael becomes uneasy about Captain Ahab.
7. Detail the problems of holding a whale overnight tied to the side of the ship.
8. Why does Ishmael soon lose his astonishment over Queequeg in New Bedford?
9. Explain why Ishmael decides to book himself on a whaling ship.
10. What behavior of whales works to the advantage of whaling ships looking for them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on why Ishmael's idea that the whale could never become extinct was just the thing that has almost made the whale disappear. Explain how man's use of natural resources has done a great deal of damage to species and to the planet.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the literary use of personification. Begin with how Ahab assigns human characteristics to Moby Dick, believing that the whale is a mortal enemy, conscious of a vendetta against him. Then go to children's stories where animal characters think and talk like humans. Discuss personification as a device to explain relationships between humans and animals.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages comparing the character Bildad in MOBY DICK to the Bildad in the book of Job who God said darkened counsel without knowledge. Point out dialog of Bildad that shows his limited understanding of the real world.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)