|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the harpoon especially made for Moby Dick?
(a) it is lost when Ahab's boat breaks apart.
(b) it smashes into the captain's cabin.
(c) it catches on fire in ahab's boat.
(d) it is tossed overboard during the storm.
2. What happens that is uncharacteristic of Ahab?
(a) he sheds a tear.
(b) he smiles.
(c) he pats Pip on the back.
(d) he agrees with Starbuck.
3. What does Ahab order the Pequod to do in violation of maritime tradition?
(a) play music and dance.
(b) ram the other ship.
(c) sail away before the burial at sea.
(d) make obscene gestures at the other crew.
4. How does Ishmael classify the oiling of the bottom of a boat?
(a) a ceremony performed for Neptune.
(b) a ceremony performed to attract whales.
(c) a ceremony performed for good luck.
(d) a ceremony of initiation of new sailors.
5. When Tashtego accidentally falls into the oil-filled head of the whale, who rescues him?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ahab become more irritated as the Pequod sails in the Pacific Ocean?
2. What does Ahab discover the next morning after the storm?
3. What does Ishmael say about why some captured whales float while others tend to sink?
4. What has happened to some of the crew of The Delight?
5. What does Fedallah say is the advantage of having the Right Whale on the other side of the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ahab change his attitude toward the leaking casks of whale oil?
2. Describe the madness of Ahab that loses his humanity.
3. What is occupying the mind of the captain of the Rachel?
4. What ironic thought does Ahab have while looking at Queequeg's coffin?
5. What is the secret that Ishmael lets slip about why Ahab stayed in his cabin so long at the beginning of the trip?
6. What happens to Fedallah when Moby Dick is harpooned for the first time?
7. What contest occurs between the Pequod and a German whaling ship?
8. How does Starbuck try to take advantage of Ahab's tears?
9. How does Ishmael show the further mental deterioration of Ahab?
10. What is so interesting about the perceptions of the Spanish doubloon nailed to the mast?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)