|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what does the Pequod escape at sea?
(a) Malay pirates.
(b) a giant squid.
(c) an ocean whirlpool.
(d) Japanese gun boats.
2. What had one of the boats from The Rachel accomplished?
(a) they spied Moby Dick.
(b) they escaped Moby Dick.
(c) they harpooned Moby Dick.
(d) they got all around Moby Dick.
3. How does Ahab die?
(a) Moby Dick pushes the Pequod over on top of Ahab's boat.
(b) Ahab has a heart attack and falls into the ocean.
(c) the harpoon rope wraps around his neck pulling him into the sea.
(d) Moby Dick jumps on top of the boat and drowns Ahab.
4. What does Fedallah say about his own death?
(a) he will die before Ahab.
(b) he will die of fright.
(c) he will die of old age.
(d) he will die on land.
5. What danger does Ishmael say the whale wields in particular?
(a) the whale can fluke and land on a ship.
(b) the whale never forgets.
(c) the whale can do great damage with its tail.
(d) the whale can call for other whales to attack a ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Given the irony of the coffin turned life buoy, what is the feeling of foreshadowing?
2. What does Pip do when a whale is harpooned?
3. While Starbuck is talking, what is Ahab thinking?
4. Which of the characters keep watch on both the crew and the ocean?
5. How is Starbuck a singular character on board the Pequod at this point?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the madness of Ahab that loses his humanity.
2. Why does Ahab order a basket to take him to the top of one of the masts?
3. How does Ishmael show the further mental deterioration of Ahab?
4. Why does Ahab transfer onto the Samuel Enderby to hear its captain's story?
5. Explain two instances that Starbuck interprets as signs that God does not support Ahab's revenge on Moby Dick.
6. What is the evidence that there is still a vestige of humanity left in Ahab?
7. What is so interesting about the perceptions of the Spanish doubloon nailed to the mast?
8. What is the secret that Ishmael lets slip about why Ahab stayed in his cabin so long at the beginning of the trip?
9. How is Ahab killed?
10. What is occupying the mind of the captain of the Rachel?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)