|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the mood on the Pequod?
(a) excited and tense.
(b) grim and somber.
(c) high with anticipation.
(d) light and cheerful.
2. Given the irony of the coffin turned life buoy, what is the feeling of foreshadowing?
(a) that there will be death and only one survivor.
(b) that death is just a part of life.
(c) that Ahab will die before Moby Dick is spotted.
(d) that the White Whale will never be found.
3. What does the captain of a German whaling ship want from the Pequod?
(c) lamp oil.
4. What does Stubb get from the dead whale?
(a) the tail fins.
(b) the bones in the mouth.
(c) the skull and teeth.
(d) a substance known as Ambergis.
5. How did the watch on the mast of The Rachel know that Moby Dick had probably been harpooned.
(a) he thought he could see it happen.
(b) it happened right near The Rachel.
(c) he saw the boat being pulled away.
(d) he saw the White Whale attack the boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ahab do in an excited state after visiting the Samuel Enderby?
2. Why does Starbuck send Stubb to report the storm damage to Captain Ahab?
3. What happens to the mast of the Pequod during a typhoon?
4. Which of the characters keep watch on both the crew and the ocean?
5. What does Fedallah's dream depict about hearses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the ominous message from the whaling ship Delight?
2. What is the problem with maritime laws pertaining to whaling?
3. Explain two instances that Starbuck interprets as signs that God does not support Ahab's revenge on Moby Dick.
4. Why does Ahab order a basket to take him to the top of one of the masts?
5. What is the secret that Ishmael lets slip about why Ahab stayed in his cabin so long at the beginning of the trip?
6. Relate the sad story of Pip.
7. What conundrum does Ishmael pose about the whale's biological system?
8. Why does the encounter with the Bachelor irritate Ahab?
9. After killing the sperm whale, why does Ahab want them to capture and kill the less valuable Right Whale?
10. What is the change in the crew as they head out in search of Moby Dick?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)