|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ahab discover the next morning after the storm?
(a) the crew are all asleep after fighting the storm.
(b) the ship has come aground.
(c) the ship is dead in the water.
(d) the ship is going in the wrong direction.
2. What happens to Ahab's hat as he perches atop the mast?
(a) he throwns it in the ocean as bait.
(b) it becomes misshapen in the mist.
(c) it blows off and falls into the ocean.
(d) a sea hawk steals it.
3. What does the captain of a German whaling ship want from the Pequod?
(a) lamp oil.
4. Why does Ahab order a basket to take him to the top of one of the masts?
(a) he wants to be the first one to see the huge whale.
(b) he hopes Moby Dick can smell him and attack the ship.
(c) he wants Moby Dick to spot him easily.
(d) he doubts if the crew would tell him if they spotted Moby Dick.
5. Why does the crew on the ship see Stubb's and Flask's boats coming fast toward them?
(a) they are running from Moby Dick.
(b) they are being chased by pirates.
(c) they are being pulled by a harpooned whale.
(d) they are caught in a rip tide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Queequeg while he helps locate the oil leak?
2. What is Captain Ahab doing as the Pequod sails away from The Delight?
3. What reaction do both Ahab and Starbuck have to the Spanish doubloon still nailed to the mast?
4. What had one of the boats from The Rachel accomplished?
5. How does Ahab react to the intrusion by Starbuck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Stubb uses his sense of humor to trick a French whaling ship into leaving a dead whale.
2. What ironic thought does Ahab have while looking at Queequeg's coffin?
3. What is the problem with maritime laws pertaining to whaling?
4. What is so interesting about the perceptions of the Spanish doubloon nailed to the mast?
5. How is Ahab killed?
6. Explain why the Pequod sails in the wrong direction.
7. What further insult does Ahab act out after meeting the Delight?
8. Describe Ishmael's arguments against the man who doubts the Bible.
9. Why does Ahab order a basket to take him to the top of one of the masts?
10. How does Ishmael show the further mental deterioration of Ahab?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)