|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ishmael conclude about whales' olfactory and vocal systems?
(a) they cannot smell but they communicate with each other.
(b) they can neither smell nor communicate.
(c) they use smell to find food and sing to tell other whales.
(d) they have a keen sense of smell for communication.
2. How does Ahab react to the intrusion by Starbuck?
(a) he raises a pistol as though to shoot Starbuck.
(b) he flies into a rage and threatens the carpenter.
(c) he becomes concerned about the loss of oil.
(d) he does not understand what Starbuck tells him.
3. How does Stubb convince the French ship to leave?
(a) by showing them the Pequod's mark on the whale.
(b) by telling them where to find live whales.
(c) by convincing them the dead whale will make them sick.
(d) by letting them smell the rotting flesh of the whale.
4. What does Pip do when a whale is harpooned?
(a) he starts to cry.
(b) he jumps into the ocean.
(c) he hides in the bottom of the boat.
(d) he hits the whale with his oar.
5. What odd behavior on the part of Ahab occurs over the apparatus used for determining latitude?
(a) Ahab dashes it against the deck of the ship.
(b) Ahab uses it to throw at a whale.
(c) Ahab orders it taken to the top of the mast.
(d) Ahab throws it overboard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Given the irony of the coffin turned life buoy, what is the feeling of foreshadowing?
2. To what complaint does Ahab admit?
3. What does Flask see as he examines the doubloon?
4. What does Starbuck contemplate when he finds Ahab asleep?
5. What danger does Ishmael say the whale wields in particular?
Short Essay Questions
1. What contest occurs between the Pequod and a German whaling ship?
2. What is happening to Queequeg's coffin?
3. Why does Ahab change his attitude toward the leaking casks of whale oil?
4. What is the evidence that there is still a vestige of humanity left in Ahab?
5. What is so interesting about the perceptions of the Spanish doubloon nailed to the mast?
6. What is the secret that Ishmael lets slip about why Ahab stayed in his cabin so long at the beginning of the trip?
7. Explain two instances that Starbuck interprets as signs that God does not support Ahab's revenge on Moby Dick.
8. Describe Ishmael's arguments against the man who doubts the Bible.
9. What is the ominous message from the whaling ship Delight?
10. Why does Ahab transfer onto the Samuel Enderby to hear its captain's story?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)