|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ahab thinking about as he looks out to sea?
(a) the fall in Nantucket.
(b) home, family, and growing older.
(c) vacationing in Italy.
(d) whether whales have families.
2. Which of the characters keep watch on both the crew and the ocean?
(a) Ahab and Fedallah.
(b) Ishmael and Queequeg.
(c) Starbuck and Stubb.
(d) Pip and Starbuck.
3. To what does Ishmael attribute the Sag Harbor man's disbelief in the story of Jonah?
(a) his custom of arguing with everyone.
(b) his minute education and inability to reason.
(c) his personal experience inside a whale.
(d) his listening to too many doubters.
4. What is Captain Ahab doing as the Pequod sails away from The Delight?
5. How did the watch on the mast of The Rachel know that Moby Dick had probably been harpooned.
(a) he saw the boat being pulled away.
(b) it happened right near The Rachel.
(c) he thought he could see it happen.
(d) he saw the White Whale attack the boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the irony of the coffin?
2. What is the change in Stubb?
3. What happens to Ahab's hat as he perches atop the mast?
4. Why does Pip join on one of the whaling boats?
5. What does Ishmael believe about the survival of whales as a species?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Stubb uses his sense of humor to trick a French whaling ship into leaving a dead whale.
2. What is Ishmael trying to ascertain as he ponders fossil remains of whales he has read about?
3. Describe Ishmael's arguments against the man who doubts the Bible.
4. How is Ahab killed?
5. What is happening to Queequeg's coffin?
6. Relate the sad story of Pip.
7. Why does Ahab change his attitude toward the leaking casks of whale oil?
8. Why does the encounter with the Bachelor irritate Ahab?
9. How does Starbuck try to take advantage of Ahab's tears?
10. What happens to Fedallah when Moby Dick is harpooned for the first time?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)