|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has the need for revenge done to Ahab's heart?
(a) it has weakened after three years at sea.
(b) it has turned cold and unfeeling.
(c) it has softened because of tragedy.
(d) it has doubled over the missing boy.
2. What does Fedallah say is the advantage of having the Right Whale on the other side of the ship?
(a) to draw the sharks away from the sperm whale.
(b) to keep the ship from capsizing.
(c) to appease the sea gods.
(d) to attract other whales to the area.
3. What happens on this first encounter with Moby Dick?
(a) one of the boats is destroyed.
(b) Moby Dick is harpooned but gets away.
(c) Ahab's peg leg is broken off and Fedallah is missing.
(d) Ahab finds his hat floating on the ocean.
4. What is the first thing Moby Dick does when he is spotted?
(a) he swims away fast on the surface.
(b) he sounds and disappears under the sea.
(c) he swims toward the Pequod.
(d) he flukes and dives deep.
5. What does Ahab discover the next morning after the storm?
(a) the ship has come aground.
(b) the ship is dead in the water.
(c) the crew are all asleep after fighting the storm.
(d) the ship is going in the wrong direction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ishmael say the head of the sperm whale contains?
2. Why does Ishmael linger on the Biblical story of Jonah?
3. From what does the Pequod escape at sea?
4. What further detailed information does Ishmael record about the whale?
5. What happens on the third day after spotting Moby Dick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Tashtego accidentally falls into the oil-filled head of the whale?
2. What is the problem with maritime laws pertaining to whaling?
3. What further insult does Ahab act out after meeting the Delight?
4. What is the ominous message from the whaling ship Delight?
5. Explain why the Pequod sails in the wrong direction.
6. How does Starbuck try to take advantage of Ahab's tears?
7. Why does Ahab change his attitude toward the leaking casks of whale oil?
8. What is happening to Queequeg's coffin?
9. What is so interesting about the perceptions of the Spanish doubloon nailed to the mast?
10. What contest occurs between the Pequod and a German whaling ship?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)