|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pip do when a whale is harpooned?
(a) he starts to cry.
(b) he jumps into the ocean.
(c) he hits the whale with his oar.
(d) he hides in the bottom of the boat.
2. What happens on the third day after spotting Moby Dick?
(a) Moby Dick swims to the other side of the Pequod.
(b) Ahab misses with his harpoon.
(c) Ahab harpoons the whale.
(d) Ahab falls into the ocean but gets back in the boat.
3. What is the change in Stubb?
(a) he no longer jokes and laughs.
(b) he walks with a faster pace.
(c) he becomes more of a clown.
(d) he becomes a cheerleader for the crew.
4. How does Ahab react to the intrusion by Starbuck?
(a) he does not understand what Starbuck tells him.
(b) he flies into a rage and threatens the carpenter.
(c) he raises a pistol as though to shoot Starbuck.
(d) he becomes concerned about the loss of oil.
5. Why does Ahab's boat stay in the ocean and not return after they catch four whales?
(a) the whale is too large for one boat to haul.
(b) the whale near Ahab is too far to reach the ship by nightfall.
(c) the ship cannot handle more than three whales at a time.
(d) Ahab is too tired to return that evening.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they find in the corpse of the blind and crippled whale?
2. What further detailed information does Ishmael record about the whale?
3. What does the captain of a German whaling ship want from the Pequod?
4. When Tashtego accidentally falls into the oil-filled head of the whale, who rescues him?
5. Why is the captain of The Rachel appealing for help from the Pequod?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem with maritime laws pertaining to whaling?
2. Relate the sad story of Pip.
3. Explain two instances that Starbuck interprets as signs that God does not support Ahab's revenge on Moby Dick.
4. Describe Ishmael's arguments against the man who doubts the Bible.
5. What ironic thought does Ahab have while looking at Queequeg's coffin?
6. What is Ishmael trying to ascertain as he ponders fossil remains of whales he has read about?
7. What conundrum does Ishmael pose about the whale's biological system?
8. What further insult does Ahab act out after meeting the Delight?
9. What happens when Tashtego accidentally falls into the oil-filled head of the whale?
10. What is so interesting about the perceptions of the Spanish doubloon nailed to the mast?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)