|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ahab become more irritated as the Pequod sails in the Pacific Ocean?
(a) he believes the crew are not watchful enough.
(b) he knows Moby Dick is swimming in the same ocean.
(c) he thinks Moby Dick has returned to the Indian ocean.
(d) he begins having strange dreams about Moby Dick.
2. Why does the crew on the ship see Stubb's and Flask's boats coming fast toward them?
(a) they are caught in a rip tide.
(b) they are being chased by pirates.
(c) they are being pulled by a harpooned whale.
(d) they are running from Moby Dick.
3. What is the second objection the Sag Harbor man has for the veracity of the story of Jonah?
(a) the whale would bite and not swallow whole.
(b) the gastric juices of the whale would have killed Jonah.
(c) the throat of the whale could not swallow a man.
(d) there is no oxygen inside a whale's stomach.
4. What does Stubb get from the dead whale?
(a) the tail fins.
(b) the bones in the mouth.
(c) the skull and teeth.
(d) a substance known as Ambergis.
5. What does Ahab discover the next morning after the storm?
(a) the crew are all asleep after fighting the storm.
(b) the ship is dead in the water.
(c) the ship is going in the wrong direction.
(d) the ship has come aground.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ahab and the captain of the Samuel Enderby have in common?
2. What does Flask see as he examines the doubloon?
3. What further detailed information does Ishmael record about the whale?
4. What is the ship's carpenter assigned to do?
5. What does Ishmael say the head of a sperm whale resembles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Stubb uses his sense of humor to trick a French whaling ship into leaving a dead whale.
2. Describe the madness of Ahab that loses his humanity.
3. After killing the sperm whale, why does Ahab want them to capture and kill the less valuable Right Whale?
4. Explain two instances that Starbuck interprets as signs that God does not support Ahab's revenge on Moby Dick.
5. What is Ishmael trying to ascertain as he ponders fossil remains of whales he has read about?
6. What ironic thought does Ahab have while looking at Queequeg's coffin?
7. Explain why the Pequod sails in the wrong direction.
8. Why does Ahab order a basket to take him to the top of one of the masts?
9. What is the change in the crew as they head out in search of Moby Dick?
10. What further insult does Ahab act out after meeting the Delight?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)