|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Starbuck is talking, what is Ahab thinking?
(a) what his family is doing back home.
(b) why Starbuck talks so much.
(c) where they will find Moby Dick.
(d) why he must kill Moby Dick.
2. What does Fedallah say about his own death?
(a) he will die on land.
(b) he will die of fright.
(c) he will die of old age.
(d) he will die before Ahab.
3. What makes Ahab return quickly to the Pequod from the Samuel Enderby?
(a) he begins to feel ill.
(b) he wants to beat the other captain to Moby Dick.
(c) he learns the direction Moby Dick is traveling.
(d) he has a fight with the other captain.
4. What odd behavior on the part of Ahab occurs over the apparatus used for determining latitude?
(a) Ahab uses it to throw at a whale.
(b) Ahab throws it overboard.
(c) Ahab orders it taken to the top of the mast.
(d) Ahab dashes it against the deck of the ship.
5. What danger does Ishmael say the whale wields in particular?
(a) the whale can fluke and land on a ship.
(b) the whale never forgets.
(c) the whale can call for other whales to attack a ship.
(d) the whale can do great damage with its tail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mood on the Pequod?
2. What is the next whaling ship the Pequod meets during the search for Moby Dick?
3. Given the irony of the coffin turned life buoy, what is the feeling of foreshadowing?
4. What does Ishmael recount about the Samuel Enderby that occurs many years later?
5. What is the news from The Rachel as it nears the Pequod?
Short Essay Questions
1. What contest occurs between the Pequod and a German whaling ship?
2. How does Ishmael show the further mental deterioration of Ahab?
3. What happens when Tashtego accidentally falls into the oil-filled head of the whale?
4. Why does Ahab transfer onto the Samuel Enderby to hear its captain's story?
5. What happens to Fedallah when Moby Dick is harpooned for the first time?
6. What is the evidence that there is still a vestige of humanity left in Ahab?
7. What is so interesting about the perceptions of the Spanish doubloon nailed to the mast?
8. What is the change in the crew as they head out in search of Moby Dick?
9. What ironic thought does Ahab have while looking at Queequeg's coffin?
10. Why does the encounter with the Bachelor irritate Ahab?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)