|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ironically, what is hanging from the taffrail of the Pequod?
(a) an American flag.
(b) a harpoon.
(c) a life buoy.
(d) a coffin.
2. Why does the crew on the ship see Stubb's and Flask's boats coming fast toward them?
(a) they are being chased by pirates.
(b) they are being pulled by a harpooned whale.
(c) they are running from Moby Dick.
(d) they are caught in a rip tide.
3. What does Ahab do in an excited state after visiting the Samuel Enderby?
(a) goes to his cabin to sulk.
(b) dances a jig on the Pequod.
(c) passes out rum to the crew.
(d) twists and damages his ivory peg leg.
4. What does Starbuck contemplate when he finds Ahab asleep?
(a) murdering the captain.
(b) waking the captain.
(c) locking up the captain.
(d) scaring the captain.
5. What does Ahab discover the next morning after the storm?
(a) the crew are all asleep after fighting the storm.
(b) the ship has come aground.
(c) the ship is dead in the water.
(d) the ship is going in the wrong direction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the ship's carpenter assigned to do?
2. What makes Starbuck come and talk to Ahab.
3. What happens to Queequeg while he helps locate the oil leak?
4. To what does Ishmael attribute the Sag Harbor man's disbelief in the story of Jonah?
5. Besides the whales in the oceans, what else does Ishmael include in his discussion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ahab order a basket to take him to the top of one of the masts?
2. What is happening to Queequeg's coffin?
3. Explain how Stubb uses his sense of humor to trick a French whaling ship into leaving a dead whale.
4. How is Ahab killed?
5. Relate the sad story of Pip.
6. After killing the sperm whale, why does Ahab want them to capture and kill the less valuable Right Whale?
7. What is occupying the mind of the captain of the Rachel?
8. What happens to Fedallah when Moby Dick is harpooned for the first time?
9. How does Ishmael show the further mental deterioration of Ahab?
10. Describe the madness of Ahab that loses his humanity.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)