|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stubb get from the dead whale?
(a) the bones in the mouth.
(b) the tail fins.
(c) a substance known as Ambergis.
(d) the skull and teeth.
2. To what complaint does Ahab admit?
(a) phantom pain from his missing leg.
(b) never being able to sleep.
(c) mental instability at times.
(d) the fear of losing both legs.
3. What does Queequeg see in the Spanish doubloon?
(a) nothing of any value.
(b) the price of a bride.
(c) something to decorate his pipe.
(d) a pair of gold earrings.
4. What foreshadows what is likely to happen to Ahab and Fedallah?
(a) a dream Ahab has while waiting out the night.
(b) a story Ahab remembers about Moby Dick.
(c) a dream Fedallah has while on Ahab's boat.
(d) a story Fedallah tells while on Ahab's boat.
5. What does Starbuck contemplate when he finds Ahab asleep?
(a) murdering the captain.
(b) scaring the captain.
(c) locking up the captain.
(d) waking the captain.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pip is finally rescued after jumping the second time from the boat, what is his condition?
2. Besides the whales in the oceans, what else does Ishmael include in his discussion?
3. What is the next whaling ship the Pequod meets during the search for Moby Dick?
4. What does Fedallah's dream depict about hearses?
5. What happens to Ahab's hat as he perches atop the mast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is foreshadowed by a dream on Ahab's whaling boat?
2. What ironic thought does Ahab have while looking at Queequeg's coffin?
3. What is the secret that Ishmael lets slip about why Ahab stayed in his cabin so long at the beginning of the trip?
4. What further insult does Ahab act out after meeting the Delight?
5. What is the change in the crew as they head out in search of Moby Dick?
6. Describe Ishmael's arguments against the man who doubts the Bible.
7. What is happening to Queequeg's coffin?
8. What is the problem with maritime laws pertaining to whaling?
9. What contest occurs between the Pequod and a German whaling ship?
10. What happens when Tashtego accidentally falls into the oil-filled head of the whale?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)