|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what does the Pequod escape at sea?
(a) Malay pirates.
(b) an ocean whirlpool.
(c) a giant squid.
(d) Japanese gun boats.
2. Why does Ishmael linger on the Biblical story of Jonah?
(a) because he does not believe the Biblical account.
(b) because some crewmen doubt the story.
(c) because he remembers sermons about Jonah.
(d) because it explains a lot about whales.
3. What does Starbuck contemplate when he finds Ahab asleep?
(a) locking up the captain.
(b) murdering the captain.
(c) scaring the captain.
(d) waking the captain.
4. What has happened to some of the crew of The Delight?
(a) Moby Dick ate one of them.
(b) Moby Dick killed five of them.
(c) they became afraid and turned the ship to run away.
(d) they mutinied against the captain.
5. What is the second objection the Sag Harbor man has for the veracity of the story of Jonah?
(a) the throat of the whale could not swallow a man.
(b) the gastric juices of the whale would have killed Jonah.
(c) there is no oxygen inside a whale's stomach.
(d) the whale would bite and not swallow whole.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Ahab return quickly to the Pequod from the Samuel Enderby?
2. Why does the crew on the ship see Stubb's and Flask's boats coming fast toward them?
3. Why does Starbuck send Stubb to report the storm damage to Captain Ahab?
4. Which of the characters keep watch on both the crew and the ocean?
5. What happens to Ahab's hat as he perches atop the mast?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ahab change his attitude toward the leaking casks of whale oil?
2. What is so interesting about the perceptions of the Spanish doubloon nailed to the mast?
3. What is the change in the crew as they head out in search of Moby Dick?
4. What happens when Tashtego accidentally falls into the oil-filled head of the whale?
5. Relate the sad story of Pip.
6. Why does Ahab transfer onto the Samuel Enderby to hear its captain's story?
7. What is Ishmael trying to ascertain as he ponders fossil remains of whales he has read about?
8. What is the secret that Ishmael lets slip about why Ahab stayed in his cabin so long at the beginning of the trip?
9. What further insult does Ahab act out after meeting the Delight?
10. What contest occurs between the Pequod and a German whaling ship?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)