|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has the need for revenge done to Ahab's heart?
(a) it has doubled over the missing boy.
(b) it has weakened after three years at sea.
(c) it has turned cold and unfeeling.
(d) it has softened because of tragedy.
2. What does Ahab order the ship's blacksmith to do?
(a) make a cast iron coffin for him if Moby Dick is not found.
(b) forge an iron harpoon only for Moby Dick.
(c) reinforce the sides of the Pequod.
(d) make more lances to use on Moby Dick.
3. Which of the characters keep watch on both the crew and the ocean?
(a) Ahab and Fedallah.
(b) Pip and Starbuck.
(c) Starbuck and Stubb.
(d) Ishmael and Queequeg.
4. Besides the whales in the oceans, what else does Ishmael include in his discussion?
(a) the collected myths about whales.
(b) fossil remains of whales from centuries ago.
(c) the comparison of whales to elephants.
(d) the comparison of whales to dolphins.
5. How does Ishmael become the only survivor of the wreck of the Pequod?
(a) the coffin turned life buoy saves his life.
(b) he manages to get back into the only boat not destroyed.
(c) he is carried on the back of Moby Dick to near The Rachel.
(d) he manages to swim toward The Delight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on this first encounter with Moby Dick?
2. What does Ahab do in an excited state after visiting the Samuel Enderby?
3. Where is Ahab on the morning of a clear day as they continue the search for Moby Dick?
4. From what does the Pequod escape at sea?
5. What does Flask see as he examines the doubloon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ahab killed?
2. What is happening to Queequeg's coffin?
3. Explain two instances that Starbuck interprets as signs that God does not support Ahab's revenge on Moby Dick.
4. How does Ishmael show the further mental deterioration of Ahab?
5. Explain how Stubb uses his sense of humor to trick a French whaling ship into leaving a dead whale.
6. Why does Ahab order a basket to take him to the top of one of the masts?
7. What is the secret that Ishmael lets slip about why Ahab stayed in his cabin so long at the beginning of the trip?
8. What is occupying the mind of the captain of the Rachel?
9. Why does the encounter with the Bachelor irritate Ahab?
10. What is the change in the crew as they head out in search of Moby Dick?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)