|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ishmael say the brain of the sperm whale lies?
(a) near the front of the head.
(b) far back from the forehead.
(c) in its hump.
(d) directly between the eyes.
2. What does Fedallah say about his own death?
(a) he will die of fright.
(b) he will die of old age.
(c) he will die on land.
(d) he will die before Ahab.
3. What has the need for revenge done to Ahab's heart?
(a) it has doubled over the missing boy.
(b) it has softened because of tragedy.
(c) it has turned cold and unfeeling.
(d) it has weakened after three years at sea.
4. What happens on this first encounter with Moby Dick?
(a) one of the boats is destroyed.
(b) Ahab finds his hat floating on the ocean.
(c) Ahab's peg leg is broken off and Fedallah is missing.
(d) Moby Dick is harpooned but gets away.
5. What does Fedallah's dream depict about hearses?
(a) Ahab will be saved by a hearse.
(b) Ahab will never ride in a hearse.
(c) Ahab will ride in a wooden hearse.
(d) Ahab will see one not made with human hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Queequeg see in the Spanish doubloon?
2. What does Flask see as he examines the doubloon?
3. What is the change in Stubb?
4. What danger does Ishmael say the whale wields in particular?
5. What is the first thing Moby Dick does when he is spotted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the ominous message from the whaling ship Delight?
2. What is the evidence that there is still a vestige of humanity left in Ahab?
3. What contest occurs between the Pequod and a German whaling ship?
4. What is foreshadowed by a dream on Ahab's whaling boat?
5. Why does the encounter with the Bachelor irritate Ahab?
6. After killing the sperm whale, why does Ahab want them to capture and kill the less valuable Right Whale?
7. Explain how Stubb uses his sense of humor to trick a French whaling ship into leaving a dead whale.
8. What happens when Tashtego accidentally falls into the oil-filled head of the whale?
9. Why does Ahab transfer onto the Samuel Enderby to hear its captain's story?
10. How does Starbuck try to take advantage of Ahab's tears?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)