|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ahab die?
(a) the harpoon rope wraps around his neck pulling him into the sea.
(b) Ahab has a heart attack and falls into the ocean.
(c) Moby Dick jumps on top of the boat and drowns Ahab.
(d) Moby Dick pushes the Pequod over on top of Ahab's boat.
2. When Tashtego accidentally falls into the oil-filled head of the whale, who rescues him?
3. Besides the whales in the oceans, what else does Ishmael include in his discussion?
(a) the comparison of whales to elephants.
(b) the collected myths about whales.
(c) fossil remains of whales from centuries ago.
(d) the comparison of whales to dolphins.
4. What happens on this first encounter with Moby Dick?
(a) Ahab finds his hat floating on the ocean.
(b) Moby Dick is harpooned but gets away.
(c) one of the boats is destroyed.
(d) Ahab's peg leg is broken off and Fedallah is missing.
5. What is the condition of the baby whale they harpoon?
(a) it is still attached by an umbilical cord.
(b) it is sick from swallowing a turtle.
(c) it is dying from lack of milk.
(d) it is lost from its mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ishmael say the head of the sperm whale contains?
2. How does Ahab react to the intrusion by Starbuck?
3. How is Ahab's mental condition best described by this point?
4. What does Ahab contemplate concerning the man who carves his peg leg and builds coffins?
5. What does Ahab order the ship's blacksmith to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the Pequod sails in the wrong direction.
2. How does Starbuck try to take advantage of Ahab's tears?
3. What ironic thought does Ahab have while looking at Queequeg's coffin?
4. Why does Ahab order a basket to take him to the top of one of the masts?
5. What happens to Fedallah when Moby Dick is harpooned for the first time?
6. What contest occurs between the Pequod and a German whaling ship?
7. What is the change in the crew as they head out in search of Moby Dick?
8. What conundrum does Ishmael pose about the whale's biological system?
9. What is happening to Queequeg's coffin?
10. What is the evidence that there is still a vestige of humanity left in Ahab?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)