|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the condition of the baby whale they harpoon?
(a) it is still attached by an umbilical cord.
(b) it is dying from lack of milk.
(c) it is lost from its mother.
(d) it is sick from swallowing a turtle.
2. What do passing sailors say about the white whale?
(a) they heard it was caught and killed.
(b) they spotted it yesterday.
(c) they do not believe it exists.
(d) they think it has returned to the Indian Ocean.
3. What is the irony of the coffin?
(a) a thing of death is so beautifully carved.
(b) a thing of death is a visual reminder of Moby Dick.
(c) a thing of death is being turned into a thing of life.
(d) a thing of death is an omen for the future.
4. What does Ishmael say the head of a sperm whale resembles?
(a) a Grecian urn.
(b) a boulder.
(c) the toe of a boot.
(d) a Roman chariot.
5. What is Ahab's response to the call for help?
(a) he fires on The Rachel and runs away.
(b) he ignores the plea and sets out to find Moby Dick.
(c) he agrees to join in the search for the missing boat.
(d) he disbelieves the captain of The Rachel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ahab finally admit?
2. What does Starbuck contemplate when he finds Ahab asleep?
3. Why does Ishmael linger on the Biblical story of Jonah?
4. What is the mood on the Pequod?
5. What do Ahab and the captain of the Samuel Enderby have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the madness of Ahab that loses his humanity.
2. Describe Ishmael's arguments against the man who doubts the Bible.
3. Relate the sad story of Pip.
4. What conundrum does Ishmael pose about the whale's biological system?
5. Explain how Stubb uses his sense of humor to trick a French whaling ship into leaving a dead whale.
6. What is so interesting about the perceptions of the Spanish doubloon nailed to the mast?
7. How does Starbuck try to take advantage of Ahab's tears?
8. Explain two instances that Starbuck interprets as signs that God does not support Ahab's revenge on Moby Dick.
9. How does Ishmael show the further mental deterioration of Ahab?
10. What is happening to Queequeg's coffin?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)