|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 119-126.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ishmael's evidence that sperm whales have knowingly and maliciously been destructive to men and their ships?
(a) stories printed in British and American newspapers.
(b) interviews with survivors of whale attacks.
(c) other ships that have had bad encounters with whales.
(d) his own experience with whales while he was at sea.
2. What strange thing does Ahab do looking at the head of the captured whale?
(a) he speaks to it.
(b) he watches it all night long.
(c) he curses it.
(d) he drives a harpoon through it.
3. What is Queequeg's amusing story about the ship captain attending a wedding in his father's court?
(a) he wore a grass skirt.
(b) he used the punch bowl as a finger bowl.
(c) he tried to kiss the bride.
(d) he danced on the table.
4. What is the encounter in the ocean that causes Ahab to come to the deck?
(a) they hear strange musical sounds in the ocean.
(b) they meet another whaling ship.
(c) they are chased by pirates.
(d) they see a huge pod of whales.
5. After the first whaling experience, what does Ishmael decide to do?
(a) lead a mutiny.
(b) make out his will.
(c) resign and jump ship.
(d) pray every day more urgently.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ishmael classify the oiling of the bottom of a boat?
2. How does Queequeg distinguish himself on the trip to Nantucket?
3. What foreshadows what is likely to happen to Ahab and Fedallah?
4. What is Ishmael's objection to artist renditions of the whale?
5. What accommodation is available for Ishmael at the inn in New Bedford?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)