|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 119-126.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Ahab return quickly to the Pequod from the Samuel Enderby?
(a) he learns the direction Moby Dick is traveling.
(b) he has a fight with the other captain.
(c) he wants to beat the other captain to Moby Dick.
(d) he begins to feel ill.
2. What is the second objection the Sag Harbor man has for the veracity of the story of Jonah?
(a) the throat of the whale could not swallow a man.
(b) the gastric juices of the whale would have killed Jonah.
(c) there is no oxygen inside a whale's stomach.
(d) the whale would bite and not swallow whole.
3. What do they find in the corpse of the blind and crippled whale?
(a) the remains of a man.
(b) timbers from a whaling boat.
(c) an unborn whale.
(d) a harpoon and cord and a stone lance.
4. What apology does Ishmael make about whalers?
(a) He defends their crude manners.
(b) He agrees that whalers are low caste.
(c) He uses history to honor whalers.
(d) He explains why they are socially low.
5. Which crew member does Ishmael single out as having the most responsibility?
(a) the harpooner.
(b) the oarsman.
(c) the first mate.
(d) the captain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which boat from the Pequod is the first to harpoon a whale?
2. What do the men do for entertainment on board the Pequod?
3. From what does the Pequod escape at sea?
4. Which ship does Ishmael select for him and Queequeg to sign on?
5. Why does the captain of a whale ship the Pequod meets at sea not want to board the Pequod?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)