|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 119-126.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do passing sailors say about the white whale?
(a) they spotted it yesterday.
(b) they think it has returned to the Indian Ocean.
(c) they heard it was caught and killed.
(d) they do not believe it exists.
2. Where is Captain Ahab as the crew begins coming aboard the Pequod?
(a) standing on the deck.
(b) in his cabin.
(c) still at home in his bedroom.
(d) bringing up the rear.
3. What does Ahab do in an excited state after visiting the Samuel Enderby?
(a) twists and damages his ivory peg leg.
(b) goes to his cabin to sulk.
(c) dances a jig on the Pequod.
(d) passes out rum to the crew.
4. What strange thing does Ahab do looking at the head of the captured whale?
(a) he drives a harpoon through it.
(b) he curses it.
(c) he watches it all night long.
(d) he speaks to it.
5. Where is the large hunting ground where the Pequod finds itself in the middle of a pod of sperm whales?
(a) near Nantucket.
(b) near Jakarta.
(c) near Japan.
(d) near Capetown.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the inn where Ishmael stays while waiting to go to Nantucket?
2. To what does Ishmael compare the weaving of a mat?
3. What danger does Ishmael say the whale wields in particular?
4. What is the encounter in the ocean that causes Ahab to come to the deck?
5. When the whale is harpooned, what action do the harpooner and the chief mate take?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)