|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 119-126.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ahab question the men about?
(a) their experience in whaling.
(b) their procedure when they spot a whale.
(c) their willingness to sail for three years.
(d) their families back home.
2. How does Ishmael digress after the first whales are spotted?
(a) by giving a background on Captain Ahab.
(b) by discussing the ideal weather for whatling.
(c) by defining the process of spotting whales.
(d) by giving a brief commentary on different kinds of whale.
3. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
(a) he prophecies success for the Pequod.
(b) he adds comic relief to the story.
(c) he explains how to get on board the Pequod.
(d) he prophecies disaster for the Pequod.
4. What does the captain of a German whaling ship want from the Pequod?
(b) lamp oil.
5. What type of whale is Moby Dick, the whale they are searching for?
(a) a duodecimo whale.
(b) an octavo whale.
(c) a Greenland whale.
(d) a folio whale.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ahab insist that the captain of the Jeroboam come aboard the Pequod?
2. What type of whale are the men of the Pequod looking for?
3. What is the encounter in the ocean that causes Ahab to come to the deck?
4. What is the condition of the baby whale they harpoon?
5. To what does Ishmael attribute the Sag Harbor man's disbelief in the story of Jonah?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)