|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 58-60 | Chapter 61-63.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ishmael's objection to artist renditions of the whale?
(a) they are painted out of the water.
(b) they are imaginary and not true to life.
(c) they are too realistic.
(d) they are pictured in false colors.
2. What is the encounter in the ocean that causes Ahab to come to the deck?
(a) they are chased by pirates.
(b) they meet another whaling ship.
(c) they see a huge pod of whales.
(d) they hear strange musical sounds in the ocean.
3. How does Ishmael introduce the story of Moby Dick?
(a) by suggesting the white whale is a myth.
(b) by Ahab's description of the white whale.
(c) with stories of the dangerous white whale.
(d) in a dream he has about a white whale.
4. What is Ishmael's evidence that sperm whales have knowingly and maliciously been destructive to men and their ships?
(a) interviews with survivors of whale attacks.
(b) his own experience with whales while he was at sea.
(c) other ships that have had bad encounters with whales.
(d) stories printed in British and American newspapers.
5. What story about a whale attack compares to the history of the Titanic?
(a) the ship was believed to be unsinkable.
(b) the ship was sunk on its maiden expedition.
(c) the ship struck an ice berg while chasing a whale.
(d) the whale looked like an ice berg.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Peleg and Bildad?
2. Where is Captain Ahab as the crew begins coming aboard the Pequod?
3. What type of whale is Moby Dick, the whale they are searching for?
4. To what does Ishmael compare a painting done from observing a stranded whale?
5. What is the speculation about Ahab's knowledge of the stowaways?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)