|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 49-50 | Chapter 51-53.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What characteristics does Ishmael assign to Starbuck, the chief mate?
(a) elegance and sophistication.
(b) common sense and intelligence.
(c) ignorance and brashness.
(d) impetuousness and anger.
2. What is peculiar about the deck where Ahab walks?
(a) It is covered with sharkskin.
(b) It is slanted and easy to lose footing.
(c) It is double decked.
(d) It has many dents made by Ahab's prosthesis.
3. How does Ishmael recognize newcomers to whaling on the streets of New Bedford?
(a) They look dazed.
(b) They are carrying large carpetbags.
(c) They have on new Macintoshes.
(d) They do not know how to dress.
4. How does Ishmael introduce the story of Moby Dick?
(a) by Ahab's description of the white whale.
(b) by suggesting the white whale is a myth.
(c) with stories of the dangerous white whale.
(d) in a dream he has about a white whale.
5. What is the subject matter of the sermon in the chapel?
(a) Jonah and the whale.
(b) preparing for death.
(c) Balam and the ass.
(d) the creation of sea creatures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Queequeg use to reach his food?
2. What startles the crew as they prepare to go after a whale?
3. What is the conversation like at breakfast in the Spouter Inn?
4. What does Ahab question the men about?
5. Who is Charity and what is her function regarding the Pequod?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)