|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 49-50 | Chapter 51-53.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What startles the crew as they prepare to go after a whale?
(a) five men they had not seen before.
(b) Captain Ahab without his ivory peg leg.
(c) whales completely surrounding the ship.
(d) a hole in the bottom of each whale boat.
2. What does Ishmael think is more remarkable than the whale's size and color?
(a) its ability to destroy a large ship.
(b) its intelligence and cunning.
(c) its memory.
(d) its ability to stay for days under water.
3. What is Starbuck's disagreement with Ahab's purpose for the trip?
(a) the need to get oil and return to Nantucket quickly.
(b) the missed opportunities to capture other whales.
(c) the futility of vengeance against a whale.
(d) the moral correctness of finding the white whale.
4. What do the men do for entertainment on board the Pequod?
(a) sing and dance.
(b) tell sea tales.
(c) play cards.
5. What type of whale are the men of the Pequod looking for?
(a) the albino whale.
(b) the duodecimo whale.
(c) the octavo whale.
(d) the sperm whale.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristics does Ishmael assign to Starbuck, the chief mate?
2. How does Ishmael digress after the first whales are spotted?
3. What is Ishmael's profession before signing on the whaling ship?
4. How do Ishmael and Queequeg transport their baggage to the boat bound for Nantucket?
5. What is the name of Queequeg's small, carved idol?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)