|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 49-50 | Chapter 51-53.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ishmael advise against putting intellectual men on watch?
(a) they become easily bored.
(b) they ask too many questions.
(c) they become engrossed in their own thoughts.
(d) they analyze too much.
2. How do Ishmael and Queequeg transport their baggage to the boat bound for Nantucket?
(a) in a taxi.
(b) on a hay cart.
(c) in a wheelbarrow.
(d) on their backs.
3. What is Ishmael's evidence that sperm whales have knowingly and maliciously been destructive to men and their ships?
(a) interviews with survivors of whale attacks.
(b) stories printed in British and American newspapers.
(c) other ships that have had bad encounters with whales.
(d) his own experience with whales while he was at sea.
4. What does Ahab question the men about?
(a) their experience in whaling.
(b) their willingness to sail for three years.
(c) their procedure when they spot a whale.
(d) their families back home.
5. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
(a) he prophecies success for the Pequod.
(b) he prophecies disaster for the Pequod.
(c) he adds comic relief to the story.
(d) he explains how to get on board the Pequod.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristics does Ishmael assign to Starbuck, the chief mate?
2. What is peculiar about the deck where Ahab walks?
3. What do Peleg and Bildad do once the Pequod is in the Atlantic Ocean?
4. Days into the journey, what makes Ishmael uneasy?
5. What does Ishmael decide to do about Queequeg?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)