|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 32-33 | Chapters 34-35.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elijah challenge Ishmael to find the men he saw heading for the Pequod?
(a) they will not board with Captain Ahab.
(b) they are figments of Ishmael's imagination.
(c) they are criminals sabotaging the Pequod.
(d) they are ghosts and not real men.
2. What early shipboard duty does Ishmael describe?
(a) his experience in swabbing the deck.
(b) his first experience serving watch.
(c) his time in the whaling boats.
(d) his work in the galley.
3. How does Ishmael digress after the first whales are spotted?
(a) by giving a background on Captain Ahab.
(b) by giving a brief commentary on different kinds of whale.
(c) by defining the process of spotting whales.
(d) by discussing the ideal weather for whatling.
4. Who pilots the Pequod out of the Nantucket harbor?
5. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
(a) he explains how to get on board the Pequod.
(b) he adds comic relief to the story.
(c) he prophecies success for the Pequod.
(d) he prophecies disaster for the Pequod.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the second mate on board the Pequod?
2. What is the name of Queequeg's small, carved idol?
3. How does Ishmael foreshadow Starbuck's behavior throughout the novel?
4. What accommodation is available for Ishmael at the inn in New Bedford?
5. What is the conversation like at breakfast in the Spouter Inn?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)