|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 32-33 | Chapters 34-35.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What early shipboard duty does Ishmael describe?
(a) his time in the whaling boats.
(b) his experience in swabbing the deck.
(c) his first experience serving watch.
(d) his work in the galley.
2. Who is the chaplain of the whaler's place of worship?
(a) Father Elm.
(b) Father Sycamore.
(c) Father Pine.
(d) Father Maple.
3. How does Queequeg manage to sign on with the Pequod after first being turned down?
(a) giving the owners shrunken heads.
(b) agreeing to convert to Christianity.
(c) demonstrating his skill with the harpoon.
(d) offering to work for less pay.
4. How does Ishmael ultimately describe the whale?
(a) a spouting fish with a horizontal tail.
(b) an elephant of the ocean.
(c) a lumbering fish with a verticle tail.
(d) an elongated fish with big eyes.
5. What characteristics does Ishmael assign to Starbuck, the chief mate?
(a) ignorance and brashness.
(b) elegance and sophistication.
(c) common sense and intelligence.
(d) impetuousness and anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elijah challenge Ishmael to find the men he saw heading for the Pequod?
2. What does Ishmael say is the saddest thing about any man, no matter how bad he is?
3. What type of whale is Moby Dick, the whale they are searching for?
4. What does Ishmael decide to do about Queequeg?
5. How does Ishmael recognize newcomers to whaling on the streets of New Bedford?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)