|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 32-33 | Chapters 34-35.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ishmael advise against putting intellectual men on watch?
(a) they analyze too much.
(b) they become engrossed in their own thoughts.
(c) they ask too many questions.
(d) they become easily bored.
2. Who is the second mate on board the Pequod?
3. How does Ishmael recognize newcomers to whaling on the streets of New Bedford?
(a) They are carrying large carpetbags.
(b) They have on new Macintoshes.
(c) They do not know how to dress.
(d) They look dazed.
4. What early shipboard duty does Ishmael describe?
(a) his experience in swabbing the deck.
(b) his first experience serving watch.
(c) his time in the whaling boats.
(d) his work in the galley.
5. What is Ishmael's profession before signing on the whaling ship?
(a) merchant marine.
(c) newspaper reporter.
(d) bank clerk.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ishmael ultimately describe the whale?
2. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
3. How do Ishmael and Queequeg transport their baggage to the boat bound for Nantucket?
4. At the Try Pots Inn in Nantucket, what is the staple menu?
5. What is the conversation like at breakfast in the Spouter Inn?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)