|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 127.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Ishmael attribute the Sag Harbor man's disbelief in the story of Jonah?
(a) his minute education and inability to reason.
(b) his custom of arguing with everyone.
(c) his listening to too many doubters.
(d) his personal experience inside a whale.
2. What do passing sailors say about the white whale?
(a) they spotted it yesterday.
(b) they think it has returned to the Indian Ocean.
(c) they heard it was caught and killed.
(d) they do not believe it exists.
3. Why does Ishmael advise against putting intellectual men on watch?
(a) they become easily bored.
(b) they analyze too much.
(c) they ask too many questions.
(d) they become engrossed in their own thoughts.
4. What is the speculation about the noise coming from the after hold?
(a) There are stowaways on board.
(b) There are ghosts on the Pequod.
(c) Moby Dick is sniffing out Captain Ahab.
(d) There is live bait in the hold.
5. What happens to the boat Ishmael is in during the whale hunt?
(a) the whale they harpoon takes a bite out of the boat.
(b) it capsizes and all are thrown into the water.
(c) it gets stuck on the back of a whale.
(d) the boat takes on water and sinks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Queequeg's small, carved idol?
2. What is the rumor about other fish when they encounter the white whale?
3. What is Ishmael's evidence that sperm whales have knowingly and maliciously been destructive to men and their ships?
4. What does Starbuck contemplate when he finds Ahab asleep?
5. What happens to the mast of the Pequod during a typhoon?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)