|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 127.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ahab become more irritated as the Pequod sails in the Pacific Ocean?
(a) he believes the crew are not watchful enough.
(b) he thinks Moby Dick has returned to the Indian ocean.
(c) he knows Moby Dick is swimming in the same ocean.
(d) he begins having strange dreams about Moby Dick.
2. Why does Ishmael advise against putting intellectual men on watch?
(a) they become engrossed in their own thoughts.
(b) they analyze too much.
(c) they ask too many questions.
(d) they become easily bored.
3. What do the plaques in the whaler's chapel remind Ishmael of?
(a) the time away from land.
(b) the heroism of whaling.
(c) the marks of distinction.
(d) the dangers of the sea.
4. How does Ahab react to the intrusion by Starbuck?
(a) he does not understand what Starbuck tells him.
(b) he becomes concerned about the loss of oil.
(c) he raises a pistol as though to shoot Starbuck.
(d) he flies into a rage and threatens the carpenter.
5. What occurs on the Pequod that sends Starbuck to see the captain?
(a) there is a leak in one of the casks of whale oil.
(b) the rum ration has run out.
(c) someone is stealing from the crew's lockers.
(d) Moby Dick is sighted off the starboard side.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ahab order the ship's blacksmith to do?
2. What does Stubb get from the dead whale?
3. What is the speculation about the noise coming from the after hold?
4. How does Ishmael digress after the first whales are spotted?
5. Why does the captain of a whale ship the Pequod meets at sea not want to board the Pequod?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)