|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 127.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ahab contemplate concerning the man who carves his peg leg and builds coffins?
(a) the unimportance of carpenters on a ship.
(b) the versatility of sailors.
(c) the idea of life and death.
(d) the time they have been away from Nantucket.
2. What is Ishmael's evidence that sperm whales have knowingly and maliciously been destructive to men and their ships?
(a) other ships that have had bad encounters with whales.
(b) interviews with survivors of whale attacks.
(c) his own experience with whales while he was at sea.
(d) stories printed in British and American newspapers.
3. What is the man called who stands on deck and holds the rope that secures Queequeg?
(a) the door post.
(b) the anchor.
(c) the cowboy.
(d) the monkey.
4. What does Ahab discover the next morning after the storm?
(a) the crew are all asleep after fighting the storm.
(b) the ship has come aground.
(c) the ship is dead in the water.
(d) the ship is going in the wrong direction.
5. How does Stubb convince the French ship to leave?
(a) by letting them smell the rotting flesh of the whale.
(b) by showing them the Pequod's mark on the whale.
(c) by telling them where to find live whales.
(d) by convincing them the dead whale will make them sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the conversation like at breakfast in the Spouter Inn?
2. Who pilots the Pequod out of the Nantucket harbor?
3. What do passing sailors say about the white whale?
4. To what does Ishmael attribute the Sag Harbor man's disbelief in the story of Jonah?
5. What does Starbuck contemplate when he finds Ahab asleep?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)