|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 127.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the major problem while the whale is tied to the side of the ship?
(a) balancing the ship.
(b) keeping the ropes from breaking.
(c) keeping the sharks away.
(d) changing the direction of the ship.
2. How does Queequeg manage to sign on with the Pequod after first being turned down?
(a) agreeing to convert to Christianity.
(b) giving the owners shrunken heads.
(c) demonstrating his skill with the harpoon.
(d) offering to work for less pay.
3. How does Ishmael ultimately describe the whale?
(a) a spouting fish with a horizontal tail.
(b) an elephant of the ocean.
(c) an elongated fish with big eyes.
(d) a lumbering fish with a verticle tail.
4. To what does Ishmael compare the weaving of a mat?
(d) map making.
5. What happens to Queequeg while he helps locate the oil leak?
(a) he becomes ill and almost dies.
(b) he gets into a fight with Tashtego.
(c) he slips on the oil and cracks open his head.
(d) he falls into a cask of sperm whale oil.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ahab become more irritated as the Pequod sails in the Pacific Ocean?
2. Who is Charity and what is her function regarding the Pequod?
3. What is the conversation like at breakfast in the Spouter Inn?
4. What does Ishmael think is more remarkable than the whale's size and color?
5. What is Ishmael's evidence that sperm whales have knowingly and maliciously been destructive to men and their ships?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)