|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 127.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do passing sailors say about the white whale?
(a) they spotted it yesterday.
(b) they heard it was caught and killed.
(c) they do not believe it exists.
(d) they think it has returned to the Indian Ocean.
2. What startles the crew as they prepare to go after a whale?
(a) a hole in the bottom of each whale boat.
(b) Captain Ahab without his ivory peg leg.
(c) whales completely surrounding the ship.
(d) five men they had not seen before.
3. How does Ishmael introduce the story of Moby Dick?
(a) in a dream he has about a white whale.
(b) by Ahab's description of the white whale.
(c) by suggesting the white whale is a myth.
(d) with stories of the dangerous white whale.
4. Why does Ahab insist that the captain of the Jeroboam come aboard the Pequod?
(a) to have dinner with him.
(b) to have him check the Pequod's charts.
(c) to give him medical supplies.
(d) to get news of Moby Dick.
5. What do the plaques in the whaler's chapel remind Ishmael of?
(a) the heroism of whaling.
(b) the time away from land.
(c) the dangers of the sea.
(d) the marks of distinction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Queequeg's small, carved idol?
2. What does Stubb instruct Daggoo to do for him?
3. What does Stubb get from the dead whale?
4. How does Ishmael digress after the first whales are spotted?
5. Why does Ishmael think Chapter 45 is the most important one in the book?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)