|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 127.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ahab order the ship's blacksmith to do?
(a) make more lances to use on Moby Dick.
(b) reinforce the sides of the Pequod.
(c) forge an iron harpoon only for Moby Dick.
(d) make a cast iron coffin for him if Moby Dick is not found.
2. What makes Ahab return quickly to the Pequod from the Samuel Enderby?
(a) he begins to feel ill.
(b) he wants to beat the other captain to Moby Dick.
(c) he learns the direction Moby Dick is traveling.
(d) he has a fight with the other captain.
3. Given the irony of the coffin turned life buoy, what is the feeling of foreshadowing?
(a) that there will be death and only one survivor.
(b) that the White Whale will never be found.
(c) that death is just a part of life.
(d) that Ahab will die before Moby Dick is spotted.
4. What do Peleg and Bildad do once the Pequod is in the Atlantic Ocean?
(a) return to shore in a small boat.
(b) leave the Pequod on a raft.
(c) jump overboard and swim to shore.
(d) go wake up Captain Ahab.
5. What is the speculation about Ahab's knowledge of the stowaways?
(a) that he will have them thrown overboard.
(b) that he is aware of them.
(c) that he is playing a game with them.
(d) that he knows why they are there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject matter of the sermon in the chapel?
2. What strange thing does Ahab do looking at the head of the captured whale?
3. What habit of whales do the whaling ships use to find their prey?
4. What type of whale are the men of the Pequod looking for?
5. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)