|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 127.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the irony of the coffin?
(a) a thing of death is so beautifully carved.
(b) a thing of death is being turned into a thing of life.
(c) a thing of death is an omen for the future.
(d) a thing of death is a visual reminder of Moby Dick.
2. What habit of whales do the whaling ships use to find their prey?
(a) the way they spout when finding schools of fish.
(b) the way they head south in the winter.
(c) they way they always go to the same place to spawn.
(d) the way they follow certain routes to new feeding areas.
3. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
(a) he explains how to get on board the Pequod.
(b) he prophecies success for the Pequod.
(c) he prophecies disaster for the Pequod.
(d) he adds comic relief to the story.
4. Why does Pip join on one of the whaling boats?
(a) because he was sleeping in the boat.
(b) because he begs to go along.
(c) because he angered Captain ahab.
(d) because one of the crew is injured.
5. What type of whale are the men of the Pequod looking for?
(a) the duodecimo whale.
(b) the albino whale.
(c) the sperm whale.
(d) the octavo whale.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do passing sailors say about the white whale?
2. What is the carpenter ordered to do with Queequeg's coffin?
3. Why does Ishmael linger on the Biblical story of Jonah?
4. What does Ahab contemplate concerning the man who carves his peg leg and builds coffins?
5. What happens to the harpoon especially made for Moby Dick?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)