|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 41-42 | Chapters 43-44.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ishmael ultimately describe the whale?
(a) a lumbering fish with a verticle tail.
(b) an elephant of the ocean.
(c) a spouting fish with a horizontal tail.
(d) an elongated fish with big eyes.
2. Who are Peleg and Bildad?
(a) crewmen on the Pequod.
(b) part owners of the Pequod.
(c) outfitters of the Pequod.
(d) builders of the Pequod.
3. How does Queequeg manage to sign on with the Pequod after first being turned down?
(a) agreeing to convert to Christianity.
(b) offering to work for less pay.
(c) demonstrating his skill with the harpoon.
(d) giving the owners shrunken heads.
4. What habit of whales do the whaling ships use to find their prey?
(a) the way they head south in the winter.
(b) the way they spout when finding schools of fish.
(c) the way they follow certain routes to new feeding areas.
(d) they way they always go to the same place to spawn.
5. What is the speculation about the noise coming from the after hold?
(a) There are stowaways on board.
(b) There is live bait in the hold.
(c) There are ghosts on the Pequod.
(d) Moby Dick is sniffing out Captain Ahab.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject matter of the sermon in the chapel?
2. How does Ishmael digress after the first whales are spotted?
3. Why does Elijah challenge Ishmael to find the men he saw heading for the Pequod?
4. Which ship does Ishmael select for him and Queequeg to sign on?
5. What early shipboard duty does Ishmael describe?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)