|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 41-42 | Chapters 43-44.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Charity and what is her function regarding the Pequod?
(a) Bildad's sister and part owner, she brings supplies.
(b) she brings Bibles and religious supplies.
(c) she supervises the storing of the supplies.
(d) Peleg's wife, she orders the food supplies.
2. How does Ishmael recognize newcomers to whaling on the streets of New Bedford?
(a) They have on new Macintoshes.
(b) They look dazed.
(c) They do not know how to dress.
(d) They are carrying large carpetbags.
3. How does Ishmael digress after the first whales are spotted?
(a) by giving a background on Captain Ahab.
(b) by discussing the ideal weather for whatling.
(c) by giving a brief commentary on different kinds of whale.
(d) by defining the process of spotting whales.
4. Why does Elijah challenge Ishmael to find the men he saw heading for the Pequod?
(a) they are figments of Ishmael's imagination.
(b) they are criminals sabotaging the Pequod.
(c) they are ghosts and not real men.
(d) they will not board with Captain Ahab.
5. What do Peleg and Bildad do once the Pequod is in the Atlantic Ocean?
(a) return to shore in a small boat.
(b) leave the Pequod on a raft.
(c) jump overboard and swim to shore.
(d) go wake up Captain Ahab.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the speculation about Ahab's knowledge of the stowaways?
2. What early shipboard duty does Ishmael describe?
3. How does Queequeg manage to sign on with the Pequod after first being turned down?
4. What is the name of Queequeg's small, carved idol?
5. What does Queequeg use to reach his food?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)