|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 81-82 | Chapter 83.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strange thing does Ahab do looking at the head of the captured whale?
(a) he watches it all night long.
(b) he curses it.
(c) he drives a harpoon through it.
(d) he speaks to it.
2. What do they find in the corpse of the blind and crippled whale?
(a) a harpoon and cord and a stone lance.
(b) the remains of a man.
(c) an unborn whale.
(d) timbers from a whaling boat.
3. Why does Ishmael think Chapter 45 is the most important one in the book?
(a) because it describes Moby Dick in detail.
(b) because it describes behaviors of whales.
(c) because it discusses the pecularities of Ahab.
(d) because it deals with whale stories.
4. To what does Ishmael attribute the Sag Harbor man's disbelief in the story of Jonah?
(a) his custom of arguing with everyone.
(b) his listening to too many doubters.
(c) his personal experience inside a whale.
(d) his minute education and inability to reason.
5. What early shipboard duty does Ishmael describe?
(a) his work in the galley.
(b) his first experience serving watch.
(c) his time in the whaling boats.
(d) his experience in swabbing the deck.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ishmael linger on the Biblical story of Jonah?
2. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
3. To what does Ishmael compare the weaving of a mat?
4. What story about a whale attack compares to the history of the Titanic?
5. What startles the crew as they prepare to go after a whale?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)