|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 81-82 | Chapter 83.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ishmael digress after the first whales are spotted?
(a) by giving a brief commentary on different kinds of whale.
(b) by discussing the ideal weather for whatling.
(c) by defining the process of spotting whales.
(d) by giving a background on Captain Ahab.
2. Why does Ishmael linger on the Biblical story of Jonah?
(a) because he does not believe the Biblical account.
(b) because he remembers sermons about Jonah.
(c) because it explains a lot about whales.
(d) because some crewmen doubt the story.
3. What part of the whale is the most valuable to the whalers?
(a) the head and tail.
(b) the ivory teeth and bones.
(c) the skin.
(d) the blubber.
4. At the Try Pots Inn in Nantucket, what is the staple menu?
(a) ham and gravy.
(b) bacon and eggs.
(c) clam and cod chowder.
(d) fish and chips.
5. What does Stubb instruct Daggoo to do for him?
(a) cut out a tooth from the whale.
(b) cut a steak from the tail of the whale.
(c) carve his name on the whale's back.
(d) take over securing the whale to the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which ship does Ishmael select for him and Queequeg to sign on?
2. To what does Ishmael attribute the Sag Harbor man's disbelief in the story of Jonah?
3. What is the major problem while the whale is tied to the side of the ship?
4. What does Ishmael say about why some captured whales float while others tend to sink?
5. Why does Ishmael think Chapter 45 is the most important one in the book?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)