|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 81-82 | Chapter 83.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ishmael digress after the first whales are spotted?
(a) by giving a brief commentary on different kinds of whale.
(b) by defining the process of spotting whales.
(c) by discussing the ideal weather for whatling.
(d) by giving a background on Captain Ahab.
2. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
(a) he adds comic relief to the story.
(b) he prophecies success for the Pequod.
(c) he explains how to get on board the Pequod.
(d) he prophecies disaster for the Pequod.
3. What happens to the boat Ishmael is in during the whale hunt?
(a) it capsizes and all are thrown into the water.
(b) the boat takes on water and sinks.
(c) the whale they harpoon takes a bite out of the boat.
(d) it gets stuck on the back of a whale.
4. What do they find in the corpse of the blind and crippled whale?
(a) a harpoon and cord and a stone lance.
(b) the remains of a man.
(c) an unborn whale.
(d) timbers from a whaling boat.
5. How does Ishmael ultimately describe the whale?
(a) a lumbering fish with a verticle tail.
(b) a spouting fish with a horizontal tail.
(c) an elephant of the ocean.
(d) an elongated fish with big eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which ship does Ishmael select for him and Queequeg to sign on?
2. What is the name of Queequeg's small, carved idol?
3. What does Stubb instruct Daggoo to do for him?
4. What type of whale are the men of the Pequod looking for?
5. What does Ishmael say about why some captured whales float while others tend to sink?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)