|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 81-82 | Chapter 83.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the whale is the most valuable to the whalers?
(a) the skin.
(b) the head and tail.
(c) the blubber.
(d) the ivory teeth and bones.
2. Why does Ishmael advise against putting intellectual men on watch?
(a) they ask too many questions.
(b) they become easily bored.
(c) they analyze too much.
(d) they become engrossed in their own thoughts.
3. To what does Ishmael compare the weaving of a mat?
(d) map making.
4. Why does Ishmael linger on the Biblical story of Jonah?
(a) because he remembers sermons about Jonah.
(b) because some crewmen doubt the story.
(c) because it explains a lot about whales.
(d) because he does not believe the Biblical account.
5. After the whale is captured, what is the next step?
(a) removing its skin.
(b) estimating its weight.
(c) cutting off its head and tail.
(d) hauling it back to the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second objection the Sag Harbor man has for the veracity of the story of Jonah?
2. What is the major problem while the whale is tied to the side of the ship?
3. What strange thing does Ahab do looking at the head of the captured whale?
4. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
5. What do they find in the corpse of the blind and crippled whale?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)