|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 81-82 | Chapter 83.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ishmael advise against putting intellectual men on watch?
(a) they become engrossed in their own thoughts.
(b) they analyze too much.
(c) they ask too many questions.
(d) they become easily bored.
2. What is the second objection the Sag Harbor man has for the veracity of the story of Jonah?
(a) the whale would bite and not swallow whole.
(b) the throat of the whale could not swallow a man.
(c) there is no oxygen inside a whale's stomach.
(d) the gastric juices of the whale would have killed Jonah.
3. Who are Peleg and Bildad?
(a) builders of the Pequod.
(b) part owners of the Pequod.
(c) outfitters of the Pequod.
(d) crewmen on the Pequod.
4. To what does Ishmael attribute the Sag Harbor man's disbelief in the story of Jonah?
(a) his minute education and inability to reason.
(b) his personal experience inside a whale.
(c) his listening to too many doubters.
(d) his custom of arguing with everyone.
5. What type of whale are the men of the Pequod looking for?
(a) the sperm whale.
(b) the octavo whale.
(c) the duodecimo whale.
(d) the albino whale.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ishmael ultimately describe the whale?
2. What happens to the boat Ishmael is in during the whale hunt?
3. Which ship does Ishmael select for him and Queequeg to sign on?
4. What do they find in the corpse of the blind and crippled whale?
5. What is the name of Queequeg's small, carved idol?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)