|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 81-82 | Chapter 83.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of whale are the men of the Pequod looking for?
(a) the albino whale.
(b) the octavo whale.
(c) the duodecimo whale.
(d) the sperm whale.
2. What do they find in the corpse of the blind and crippled whale?
(a) the remains of a man.
(b) a harpoon and cord and a stone lance.
(c) timbers from a whaling boat.
(d) an unborn whale.
3. What is Ishmael's evidence that sperm whales have knowingly and maliciously been destructive to men and their ships?
(a) interviews with survivors of whale attacks.
(b) stories printed in British and American newspapers.
(c) his own experience with whales while he was at sea.
(d) other ships that have had bad encounters with whales.
4. How does Ishmael ultimately describe the whale?
(a) a spouting fish with a horizontal tail.
(b) an elongated fish with big eyes.
(c) a lumbering fish with a verticle tail.
(d) an elephant of the ocean.
5. What happens to the boat Ishmael is in during the whale hunt?
(a) it capsizes and all are thrown into the water.
(b) the whale they harpoon takes a bite out of the boat.
(c) it gets stuck on the back of a whale.
(d) the boat takes on water and sinks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange thing does Ahab do looking at the head of the captured whale?
2. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
3. Why does Ishmael think Chapter 45 is the most important one in the book?
4. Why does Ishmael advise against putting intellectual men on watch?
5. What early shipboard duty does Ishmael describe?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)