|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 81-82 | Chapter 83.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Ishmael attribute the Sag Harbor man's disbelief in the story of Jonah?
(a) his personal experience inside a whale.
(b) his custom of arguing with everyone.
(c) his minute education and inability to reason.
(d) his listening to too many doubters.
2. Why does Ishmael linger on the Biblical story of Jonah?
(a) because he does not believe the Biblical account.
(b) because some crewmen doubt the story.
(c) because it explains a lot about whales.
(d) because he remembers sermons about Jonah.
3. What type of whale are the men of the Pequod looking for?
(a) the albino whale.
(b) the duodecimo whale.
(c) the octavo whale.
(d) the sperm whale.
4. What startles the crew as they prepare to go after a whale?
(a) whales completely surrounding the ship.
(b) a hole in the bottom of each whale boat.
(c) Captain Ahab without his ivory peg leg.
(d) five men they had not seen before.
5. What is the second objection the Sag Harbor man has for the veracity of the story of Jonah?
(a) the gastric juices of the whale would have killed Jonah.
(b) the throat of the whale could not swallow a man.
(c) the whale would bite and not swallow whole.
(d) there is no oxygen inside a whale's stomach.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Ishmael compare the weaving of a mat?
2. How does Ishmael ultimately describe the whale?
3. What happens to the boat Ishmael is in during the whale hunt?
4. What is the major problem while the whale is tied to the side of the ship?
5. What strange thing does Ahab do looking at the head of the captured whale?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)