|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 81-82 | Chapter 83.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ishmael's evidence that sperm whales have knowingly and maliciously been destructive to men and their ships?
(a) interviews with survivors of whale attacks.
(b) stories printed in British and American newspapers.
(c) other ships that have had bad encounters with whales.
(d) his own experience with whales while he was at sea.
2. How does Ishmael digress after the first whales are spotted?
(a) by discussing the ideal weather for whatling.
(b) by defining the process of spotting whales.
(c) by giving a background on Captain Ahab.
(d) by giving a brief commentary on different kinds of whale.
3. What is the second objection the Sag Harbor man has for the veracity of the story of Jonah?
(a) there is no oxygen inside a whale's stomach.
(b) the whale would bite and not swallow whole.
(c) the gastric juices of the whale would have killed Jonah.
(d) the throat of the whale could not swallow a man.
4. Why does Ishmael think Chapter 45 is the most important one in the book?
(a) because it deals with whale stories.
(b) because it describes behaviors of whales.
(c) because it describes Moby Dick in detail.
(d) because it discusses the pecularities of Ahab.
5. What is the name of Queequeg's small, carved idol?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they find in the corpse of the blind and crippled whale?
2. What does the captain of a German whaling ship want from the Pequod?
3. What type of whale is Moby Dick, the whale they are searching for?
4. What happens to the boat Ishmael is in during the whale hunt?
5. What early shipboard duty does Ishmael describe?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)