|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 81-82 | Chapter 83.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ishmael linger on the Biblical story of Jonah?
(a) because he does not believe the Biblical account.
(b) because some crewmen doubt the story.
(c) because he remembers sermons about Jonah.
(d) because it explains a lot about whales.
2. To what does Ishmael attribute the hieroglyphic-like markings on the whale skin?
(a) scrapes from coral reefs.
(c) contacts with other whales.
(d) contacts with ships.
3. What startles the crew as they prepare to go after a whale?
(a) whales completely surrounding the ship.
(b) a hole in the bottom of each whale boat.
(c) Captain Ahab without his ivory peg leg.
(d) five men they had not seen before.
4. What strange thing does Ahab do looking at the head of the captured whale?
(a) he watches it all night long.
(b) he speaks to it.
(c) he curses it.
(d) he drives a harpoon through it.
5. To what does Ishmael attribute the Sag Harbor man's disbelief in the story of Jonah?
(a) his minute education and inability to reason.
(b) his personal experience inside a whale.
(c) his custom of arguing with everyone.
(d) his listening to too many doubters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of whale is Moby Dick, the whale they are searching for?
2. What does the captain of a German whaling ship want from the Pequod?
3. At the Try Pots Inn in Nantucket, what is the staple menu?
4. What early shipboard duty does Ishmael describe?
5. How does Ishmael digress after the first whales are spotted?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)