|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 81-82 | Chapter 83.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the boat Ishmael is in during the whale hunt?
(a) the boat takes on water and sinks.
(b) the whale they harpoon takes a bite out of the boat.
(c) it gets stuck on the back of a whale.
(d) it capsizes and all are thrown into the water.
2. What do they find in the corpse of the blind and crippled whale?
(a) an unborn whale.
(b) the remains of a man.
(c) a harpoon and cord and a stone lance.
(d) timbers from a whaling boat.
3. What does the captain of a German whaling ship want from the Pequod?
(a) lamp oil.
4. What early shipboard duty does Ishmael describe?
(a) his first experience serving watch.
(b) his experience in swabbing the deck.
(c) his work in the galley.
(d) his time in the whaling boats.
5. Why does Ishmael think Chapter 45 is the most important one in the book?
(a) because it describes behaviors of whales.
(b) because it describes Moby Dick in detail.
(c) because it deals with whale stories.
(d) because it discusses the pecularities of Ahab.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange thing does Ahab do looking at the head of the captured whale?
2. What does Ishmael say about why some captured whales float while others tend to sink?
3. To what does Ishmael attribute the Sag Harbor man's disbelief in the story of Jonah?
4. What is the name of Queequeg's small, carved idol?
5. What purpose does the mad Elijah serve in the story?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)