|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 116-118.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the captain of a whale ship the Pequod meets at sea not want to board the Pequod?
(a) he is jealous of the Pequod's catch.
(b) his crew is ill.
(c) he does not like Ahab.
(d) he never leaves his own ship.
2. How does Stubb handle the strange situation?
(a) by writing in a diary.
(b) with a great deal of tension.
(c) with his sense of humor.
(d) by not thinking about it.
3. What odd behavior on the part of Ahab occurs over the apparatus used for determining latitude?
(a) Ahab dashes it against the deck of the ship.
(b) Ahab orders it taken to the top of the mast.
(c) Ahab throws it overboard.
(d) Ahab uses it to throw at a whale.
4. What is Starbuck's disagreement with Ahab's purpose for the trip?
(a) the need to get oil and return to Nantucket quickly.
(b) the moral correctness of finding the white whale.
(c) the missed opportunities to capture other whales.
(d) the futility of vengeance against a whale.
5. What insane crew member of the Jeroboam claims to be the Angel Gabriel?
(a) a savage from the islands.
(b) a defrocked priest.
(c) a prophet of the Neskyeuna Shakers.
(d) another man named Starbuck.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ahab insist that the captain of the Jeroboam come aboard the Pequod?
2. What equipment left on board by Aunt Charity does Stubb throw overboard?
3. What is Queequeg's duty while the blubber is stripped from the back of the whale?
4. What is peculiar about the deck where Ahab walks?
5. What do the men do for entertainment on board the Pequod?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)