|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Goddess says that who should be killed swiftly and not tortured?
2. Where does Morgaine go in order to begin to create a plan to take away Excalibur?
3. Where does Kevin get taken to by Nimue?
4. Who goes home to North Wales to visit?
5. Who is responsible for arousing a memory of her years in Avalon, according to Morgaine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will the love potion do for Elaine when Lancelet drinks it in his wine?
2. Why was Gwenhwyfar unable to carry a child to term?
3. Who is to be schooled in Avalon, as per their agreement for the love potion?
4. What name do the Saxons give to Gwydion, meaning Evil Counsel?
5. Who rapes Gwenhwyfar in hopes of getting another heir to the throne?
6. Who does Morgaine pursue after mistakenly agreeing to marry King Uriens?
7. Right after the church service on Pentecost, what does Lancelet do?
8. What happens as Nimue tries to seduce Kevin?
9. What is the plan for Avalloch's death?
10. What is Morgaine distressed by as she, Uriens, Accolon, and Gwydion meet with Arthur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gwenhwyfar's jealousy causes her to change throughout the story. Does this jealously help her in her life or does it harm her? Give an example. As she grows in years, she also becomes more pious in her thinking, yet has an affair. Does her contradictory nature help her or hurt her? Why or why not? Do you sympathize with this character or pity her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of a prophecy is something that causes characters in this book to take actions they might not have taken otherwise. What do you feel is the importance of prophecy? Is there a place for prophecy in today's times? Why or why not? What do you think would have happened if there was no prophecy in this story?
Essay Topic 3
The Sight is a tool that the women use often in the story. Why do you feel that this was mainly a gift with which women were blessed? What makes women ideal candidates for this quality? Do men have qualities that might stand in the way of the Sight in this story? Why or why not?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)