|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Morgaine take Lancelet?
2. Who does Lancelet marry?
3. Who tells Morgaine that he is ready to die for the cause of Avalon?
4. Who is called to seduce Kevin?
5. When Gwydion and other Companions slip into Gwenhwyfar's chambers as she is waiting for Lancelet, what do they threaten to take them to Arthur and try them as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gwenhwyfar jealous at the next year's Pentecost?
2. Right after the church service on Pentecost, what does Lancelet do?
3. At Morgaine's request, what does Lancelet do at the end of the story?
4. What does Morgaine do when Accolon and Uwaine arrive for a visit?
5. Who is to be schooled in Avalon, as per their agreement for the love potion?
6. When Viviane sees Gwydion, who does she think he looks like?
7. What happens as Nimue tries to seduce Kevin?
8. Who wants Morgaine to help her marry Lancelet?
9. What makes Morgause finally feel her age?
10. Why was Gwenhwyfar unable to carry a child to term?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is it that people need to choose the rightful heir to a throne? Does this system make sense to you in modern times? Why or why not? Wouldn't it make more sense to choose a king who has the qualities that are necessary, rather than the bloodline? Why do you think some cultures have continued this practice?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in this story have affairs with others that they love because they are with others they do not love. Cite three examples where this happens in the story. Why do you think these affairs happen, beyond the feelings for the other person? What caused these affairs and how could they have been prevented? Could they have been prevented?
Essay Topic 3
Love is another long running theme in this novel, whether it's lust or love, that might be harder to say. The main love story that is discussed is the never-ending love between Lancelet and Gwenhwyfar. Do you think this is true love? Why or why not? Why do you feel this relationship exists in the story? What is its purpose? What do you think would have happened if they had gotten together in the first place?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)