|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ali point out to Sarhan about Sarhan working within the system?
2. What is the main characteristic Sarhan observes about Mansour?
3. What history does Mansour think of writing?
4. About what do Mansour and Fawzi banter?
5. What plan of Zohra's does Mansour approve?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Mansour's analysis of the time the boarders spend together the night of the Umm Kulthum concert.
2. When does Sarhan first see Zohra and what does he do?
3. What is Mansour's further impression of Zohra and how does he feel towards her?
4. What do Mansour and Amer discuss one night?
5. What does Sarhan do the first time Zohra delivers tea to his room and how do the two interact over the next several days?
6. Why does Doreya say Mansour is four years too late and what is his response?
7. What are Mansour's first impressions of Zohra?
8. What are Mansour's first impressions of some of the boarders at the Miramar?
9. Wat does Sarhan say about the Umm Kulthum concert?
10. Briefly describe Mansour's meeting with his longtime friend Fawzi.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Miramar" ends on an unhappy or seemingly morbid note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why? not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "Miramar" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "Miramar" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Discuss the theme of choice in "Miramar". Who makes wise choices? Who makes unwise choices? Do you think Sarhan believes more in fate or free will? Why?
2. Debate the following statement in an argument/persuasion essay: Making several poor choices one after the other makes it more likely one will continue to make poor choices.
3. Rewrite the ending with Sarhan making what you think would be a wiser choice and then discuss why you believe it would be a better choice.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Miramar".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Miramar". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes the story. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)