|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mansour think is the life of the party on the night of the Umm Kulthum concert
2. Where does Mansour think Zohra should do?
3. What does Mahmoud want to buy?
4. What does Ali point out to Sarhan about Sarhan working within the system?
5. What does Mansour think of Hosny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mansour do when he learns of Fawzi's arrest?
2. What are Ali and Sarhan's plans to gain money?
3. What are Mansour's first impressions of some of the boarders at the Miramar?
4. What are Sarhan's quick impressions of Hosny and Mansour?
5. What does Sarhan say about Mariana when he asks to rent a room and how does Zohra act when she sees him at the Miramar?
6. What happens when Sarhan tries to kiss Zohra for the first time, and what is Zohra's reaction?
7. How does Sarhan's relationship with Aleya develop?
8. What does Mansour impulsively do when he meets Doreya at the zoo?
9. How does Ali convince Sarhan to join him in the heist?
10. What do Mansour and Amer discuss one night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Discuss Hosny Allam's character as symbolic of the corruption that underlies Egyptian culture at that time.
2. After researching Egyptian history from 1940 to the present, do you think Zohra Salama will make it as a single female in Egyptian society? Discuss fully using examples from your research.
3. Compare/contrast the life and choices of Zohra Salama to that of Safeya Barakat. How are their backgrounds similar or dissimilar? Why do they each make the specific choices they make? Could Zohra end up like Safeya? Why or why not? Is redemption possible for Safeya in the Egyptian culture of that time? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
In the world of academe, historical fiction is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think historical fiction might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think historical fiction has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading historical fiction? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read historical fiction even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Naguib Mahfouz has tried as much as possible to use historical events and facts around which to weave his work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think "Miramar" qualifies as an historical fiction? Why or why not?
2. If much of the events in the book are historical, what surprises you about the way the events play out?
3. What surprises you about the culture of late 1960s Egypt?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)