|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amer think Plato's writings gave Socrates?
2. What does Tolba point out about the Soviet bloc?
3. What does Mansour pity in Zohra?
4. Who is Ali Bakir's lover?
5. By what does Mansour think Zohra is probably driven?
Short Essay Questions
1. Wat does Sarhan say about the Umm Kulthum concert?
2. Why does Doreya say Mansour is four years too late and what is his response?
3. Describe Sarhan's encounter with Tolba on the street.
4. What does Mansour impulsively do when he meets Doreya at the zoo?
5. What is Mansour's further impression of Zohra and how does he feel towards her?
6. What does Mansour do when he learns of Fawzi's arrest?
7. How does Mahmoud inadvertently give Sarhan an excuse to move out of living with Safeya, and what does he say about marriage?
8. What does Sarhan say about Mariana when he asks to rent a room and how does Zohra act when she sees him at the Miramar?
9. Describe Mansour's version of the altercation in the hallway between an unknown woman, Zohra and Sarhan.
10. What does Sarhan do the first time Zohra delivers tea to his room and how do the two interact over the next several days?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Naguib Mahfouz has tried as much as possible to use historical events and facts around which to weave his work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think "Miramar" qualifies as an historical fiction? Why or why not?
2. If much of the events in the book are historical, what surprises you about the way the events play out?
3. What surprises you about the culture of late 1960s Egypt?
Essay Topic 2
Naguib Mahfouz published over 50 novels, more than 350 short stories, dozens of movie scripts, and five plays over a 70-year career. Many of his works have been made into Egyptian and foreign films. There are a number of interesting questions raised by this book. Questions that Mahfouz may have wanted readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. Research the life of Naguib Mahfouz and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing. Write a 2-3 page informative essay about Mahfouz as an author.
2. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
3.. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Mahfouz's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Mahfouz's probable agenda concerning that idea.
3. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
4. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Discuss Hosny Allam's character as symbolic of the corruption that underlies Egyptian culture at that time.
2. After researching Egyptian history from 1940 to the present, do you think Zohra Salama will make it as a single female in Egyptian society? Discuss fully using examples from your research.
3. Compare/contrast the life and choices of Zohra Salama to that of Safeya Barakat. How are their backgrounds similar or dissimilar? Why do they each make the specific choices they make? Could Zohra end up like Safeya? Why or why not? Is redemption possible for Safeya in the Egyptian culture of that time? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)