|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What increases Hosny's hatred?
2. What does Hosny decide about Zohra?
3. Of what does Hosny become convinced after talking with Mariana about Zohra?
4. Who was Wagdi's late master?
5. Who does Zohra distrust?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Hosny's impressions of the other Miramar residents?
2. Why does Hosny move to Miramar and what is his first thought about Zohra?
3. After dropping the woman off at Mazarita, how does Hosny relieve his tension?
4. About what is Amer dreaming when he hears a ruckus in the hallway?
5. What is Hosny's next encounter with Zohra and how does he react?
6. How does Hosny feel towards marriage and women?
7. With whom does Hosny hook up after leaving the Umm Kulthum at intermission, and what is the woman's advice to him?
8. Describe Sarhan al-Beheiry.
9. What do Amer and Mariana complain about and plan?
10. How do Zohra and Amer have a chance to talk and how does Zohra feel about the two older, male boarders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Discuss the theme of choice in "Miramar". Who makes wise choices? Who makes unwise choices? Do you think Sarhan believes more in fate or free will? Why?
2. Debate the following statement in an argument/persuasion essay: Making several poor choices one after the other makes it more likely one will continue to make poor choices.
3. Rewrite the ending with Sarhan making what you think would be a wiser choice and then discuss why you believe it would be a better choice.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Miramar".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Miramar". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes the story. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Sarhan commits suicide (presumably). Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze five major events that leads up to Sarhan's suicide. Could any of them have been altered? What does each event contribute to Sarhan's fateful decision?
2. Suicide is often considered by people who feel they have no other options. Do you think Sarhan is at that point when he kills himself? What other options does Sarhan have (consider the times and culture in which Sarhan lives)?
3. Is Sarhan's suicide an act of courage? Stupidity? Selfishness? Do you hold him responsible for the impact his death will have on those who love him? How do you think they will be affected?
4. Do you think Sarhan's friends are partly to blame for the his problems? Why or why not?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)