|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hosny think he should keep busy?
2. Who exploited Zohra?
3. Who does Mariana evict?
4. What do all of the three younger boarders declare?
5. How old is Amer Wagdi when he returns to his old residence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tolba Marzuq relationship to Mariana, and what does Amer think of him?
2. Describe Sarhan al-Beheiry.
3. How does Amer respond to the news that Zohra is taking reading lessons, and how do others respond?
4. About what does Amer warn Zohra and why does he do so?
5. What do Amer and Mariana complain about and plan?
6. Where has Amer Wagdi moved and how long has it been since he was last there?
7. What commotion in the hallway does Hosny respond to, and what does he do?
8. About what is Amer dreaming when he hears a ruckus in the hallway?
9. What is Hosny's next encounter with Zohra and how does he react?
10. How do Zohra and Amer have a chance to talk and how does Zohra feel about the two older, male boarders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Naguib Mahfouz has tried as much as possible to use historical events and facts around which to weave his work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think "Miramar" qualifies as an historical fiction? Why or why not?
2. If much of the events in the book are historical, what surprises you about the way the events play out?
3. What surprises you about the culture of late 1960s Egypt?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss this book based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that "Miramar" falls within the genre of historical fiction changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Discuss Hosny Allam's character as symbolic of the corruption that underlies Egyptian culture at that time.
2. After researching Egyptian history from 1940 to the present, do you think Zohra Salama will make it as a single female in Egyptian society? Discuss fully using examples from your research.
3. Compare/contrast the life and choices of Zohra Salama to that of Safeya Barakat. How are their backgrounds similar or dissimilar? Why do they each make the specific choices they make? Could Zohra end up like Safeya? Why or why not? Is redemption possible for Safeya in the Egyptian culture of that time? Why or why not.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)