|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hosny think he should keep busy?
2. Who does Mariana evict?
3. Who is Zohra?
4. Of what does Hosny become convinced after talking with Mariana about Zohra?
5. From whom does Zohra turn down a marriage proposal.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Amer and Mariana complain about and plan?
2. How do Zohra and Amer have a chance to talk and how does Zohra feel about the two older, male boarders?
3. What are Hosny's impressions of the other Miramar residents?
4. What does Mariana offer Zohra and what does Amer fear about Zohra?
5. Why is Sarhan fighting a drunken Hosny in the hall one evening?
6. Why does Hosny move to Miramar and what is his first thought about Zohra?
7. What is Tolba Marzuq relationship to Mariana, and what does Amer think of him?
8. About what does Amer warn Zohra and why does he do so?
9. About what is Amer dreaming when he hears a ruckus in the hallway?
10. Describe Hosny Allam.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Politics and religion both play major roles in "Miramar". Discuss the following;
1. Thoroughly trace and analyze Amer Wagdi's thoughts and beliefs about religion, using specific examples from the text. Do the same with one other character of your choice.
2. Compare/contrast the political beliefs and past activities of Amer Wagdi with that of Tolba Marzuq. How are they alike? How are they different? Which views do you find more appealing? Why?
3. Choose one other character and thoroughly trace/analyze his/her political views and past and present activities. How important are the views to the character? How do the views influence his/her choices? Are the views rationale?
4. Choose one other character and thoroughly trace/analyze his/her religious views and past and present activities. How important are the views to the character? How do the views influence his/her choices? Are the views rationale?
Essay Topic 2
Naguib Mahfouz has tried as much as possible to use historical events and facts around which to weave his work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think "Miramar" qualifies as an historical fiction? Why or why not?
2. If much of the events in the book are historical, what surprises you about the way the events play out?
3. What surprises you about the culture of late 1960s Egypt?
Essay Topic 3
In the world of academe, historical fiction is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think historical fiction might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think historical fiction has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading historical fiction? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read historical fiction even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)