|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pervades the group that gathers to listen to Umm Kulthum?
2. What does Sarhan relate?
3. What news does Mariana bring about Sarhan days after he leaves.
4. Where does Hosny pick up a girl?
5. What does Amer wish to trust again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the general atmosphere at the beginning of the Umm Kulthum concert, and how does that change?
2. How does Hosny feel towards marriage and women?
3. How do Zohra and Amer have a chance to talk and how does Zohra feel about the two older, male boarders?
4. How does Amer respond to the news that Zohra is taking reading lessons, and how do others respond?
5. Why is Sarhan fighting a drunken Hosny in the hall one evening?
6. Describe Hosny Allam.
7. What does Mariana offer Zohra and what does Amer fear about Zohra?
8. Describe the encounter between Zohra, Hosny and Sarhan.
9. What do Amer and Mariana complain about and plan?
10. Describe Sarhan al-Beheiry.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Naguib Mahfouz has tried as much as possible to use historical events and facts around which to weave his work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think "Miramar" qualifies as an historical fiction? Why or why not?
2. If much of the events in the book are historical, what surprises you about the way the events play out?
3. What surprises you about the culture of late 1960s Egypt?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Discuss the theme of choice in "Miramar". Who makes wise choices? Who makes unwise choices? Do you think Sarhan believes more in fate or free will? Why?
2. Debate the following statement in an argument/persuasion essay: Making several poor choices one after the other makes it more likely one will continue to make poor choices.
3. Rewrite the ending with Sarhan making what you think would be a wiser choice and then discuss why you believe it would be a better choice.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss the character Zohra Salama. What are her strengths? Weaknesses? How does she evolve over the course of the story? Is she likable at the beginning of the story? Sympathetic? How do you view her by the end of the book? Do you think she is a protagonist or antagonist? Why
2. Thoroughly discuss the character Sarhan al-Beheiry . What are his strengths? Weaknesses? How does he evolve over the course of the story? (or does he?) Is he likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Is he trustworthy? Wise? Would you want him as a friend? As an enemy?
3. Thoroughly discuss Hosny Allam. What are his strengths? Weaknesses? How does he evolve over the course of the story? (or does he?) Is he likable at the beginning of the story? At the end of the book? Is he trustworthy? Wise? Would you want him as a friend? As an enemy?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)