|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Mahmoud want Sarhan's advice?
2. Why does Mansour "dismiss" in his mind Amer and Tolba?
(a) They are too educated.
(b) They are not educated.
(c) They represent a dying generation.
(d) They are too conservative.
3. Who is Ali Bakir's lover?
(a) Safeya Barakat.
(c) Sophie Garz.
(d) He does not have a lover.
4. Why is Mansour bitter?
(a) That he has a dead end job.
(b) That his mother tells him he is too ugly to marry well.
(c) That his fiance runs away and marries someone else.
(d) That his brother arranges for him to live in Miramar Pension.
5. Who does Mansour visit after learning of the arrest?
(d) No one; he is too afraid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mansour learn is arrested?
2. By what does Mansour think Zohra is probably driven?
3. What do Sarhan and Safeya do in Mahmoud's presence?
4. What history does Mansour think of writing?
5. What angers Mansour about both himself and Sarhan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sarhan's relationship with Aleya develop?
2. Why is Mansour at the Miramar and how does he feel about that?
3. What does Sarhan do the first time Zohra delivers tea to his room and how do the two interact over the next several days?
4. What are Ali and Sarhan's plans to gain money?
5. When does Sarhan first see Zohra and what does he do?
6. What happens when Sarhan tries to kiss Zohra for the first time, and what is Zohra's reaction?
7. What are Mansour's first impressions of some of the boarders at the Miramar?
8. Describe Mansour's version of the altercation in the hallway between an unknown woman, Zohra and Sarhan.
9. What are Mansour's first impressions of Zohra?
10. What is Mansour's further impression of Zohra and how does he feel towards her?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)