|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hosny take driving?
(d) An Italian/Syrian whore.
2. What is Marzug to Mariana?
(a) A former lover.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her landlord.
(d) Her brother-in-law.
3. About what does Amer ramble?
(a) What a good catch Zohra would be.
(b) His heroic past.
(c) About his life as a journalist in Paris.
(d) That he knows Umm Kulthum personally.
4. What pervades the group that gathers to listen to Umm Kulthum?
5. What does Wagdi recall?
(a) The time his mother sat up with him all night and talked.
(b) All the things he should have recorded in memoirs concerning his late master.
(c) The death of his wife.
(d) The birth of his son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hosny slightly jealous of Zohra?
2. What does Hosny think of Zohra as she is making his bed?
3. What happened in Azhar in 1919?
4. What does Hosny learn about Zohra at breakfast?
5. Who does Mariana evict?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hosny move to Miramar and what is his first thought about Zohra?
2. What does Mariana offer Zohra and what does Amer fear about Zohra?
3. About what is Amer dreaming when he hears a ruckus in the hallway?
4. With whom does Hosny hook up after leaving the Umm Kulthum at intermission, and what is the woman's advice to him?
5. About what does Amer warn Zohra and why does he do so?
6. How does Hosny feel about old people?
7. Where has Amer Wagdi moved and how long has it been since he was last there?
8. How does Amer respond to the news that Zohra is taking reading lessons, and how do others respond?
9. What commotion in the hallway does Hosny respond to, and what does he do?
10. How do Zohra and Amer have a chance to talk and how does Zohra feel about the two older, male boarders?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)