|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mansour pity in Zohra?
(a) Her poverty.
(b) Her waning good looks.
(c) Her self confidence.
(d) Her loneliness.
2. What does Amer think Plato's writings gave Socrates?
3. What does Sarhan declare has brought him and Zohra together?
(a) His seeing her in the grocery.
4. Where do Mansour and Doreya meet?
(a) At Doreya's mother's home.
(b) At the Cairo Zoo.
(c) At the prison where Fawzi is being held.
(d) At the Cecil Hotel.
5. Who does Amer say opens the way through eloquence for the current generation of engineers and economists?
(a) The generation midway between Amer's and Sarhan's.
(b) His generation.
(c) The last ten generations.
(d) No one could open the way for the engineers and economists who have lost their soul.
6. How does Mansour find Sarhan?
7. Who does Mansour visit after learning of the arrest?
(b) No one; he is too afraid.
8. What does Zohra say about her and Sarhan?
(a) They were secretly married.
(b) They are engaged.
(c) They are just friends.
(d) They had a falling out.
9. What happens when Sarhan complains about his life to his friends?
(a) They shrug.
(b) Safeya calls him hard hearted.
(c) They commiserate with him.
(d) They laugh at him.
10. What happens when Sarhan steals a kiss from Zohra?
(a) She kicks him in the groin.
(b) She returns the kiss.
(c) She struggles free.
(d) She slaps him.
11. What plan of Zohra's does Mansour approve?
(a) To go back home.
(b) To marry Sarhan.
(c) To learn to read and write.
(d) To apply to the University.
12. What are Ali and Sarhan planning?
(a) To highjack a truckload of yarn.
(b) To highjack a truckload of money.
(c) To highjack a truckload of clothing.
(d) To highjack a truckload of dried beans.
13. What is the reason Doreya chose Fawzi to marry?
(a) His money.
(b) His passion.
(c) His religious beliefs.
(d) His strength of character.
14. What does Mansour offer Zohra when she brings him tea?
(a) A confection.
(b) A joke.
(d) A scowl.
15. What does Sarhan do to later explain the sudden fortune he expects?
(a) Talks about the cost of yarn.
(b) Talks of the money he makes now.
(c) Talks about the rising cost of clothing.
(d) Tells stories that are not true.
Short Answer Questions
1. What class is Hosny a member of according to Sarhan?
2. Who is Mansour's brother?
3. What does Mahmoud want to buy?
4. By what does Mansour think Zohra is probably driven?
5. Where do Mansour and Doreya next meet?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)