|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Mansour think longingly while visiting with Fawzi?
(d) His ex-fiance.
2. What does Sarhan declare has brought him and Zohra together?
(b) His seeing her in the grocery.
3. What does Mansour pity in Zohra?
(a) Her waning good looks.
(b) Her self confidence.
(c) Her loneliness.
(d) Her poverty.
4. What happens when Sarhan complains about his life to his friends?
(a) Safeya calls him hard hearted.
(b) They commiserate with him.
(c) They shrug.
(d) They laugh at him.
5. What does Mansour confess to Doreya?
(a) That he refused to testify for Fawzi.
(b) That he is in love with Doreya's sister.
(c) His love for her.
(d) That he betrayed Fawzi.
6. Where do Mansour and Doreya next meet?
(a) The Miramar.
(b) The Corniche.
(c) The train to Cairo.
(d) A cafe on the Nile.
7. Who does Sarhan encounter on the street and whom he finds different but familiar?
8. What does Sarhan long to do about Safeya?
(a) Have the courage to marry her.
(b) Take her money and leave her.
(c) Find a good man for her.
(d) Leave her.
9. What does Mansour think of Amer on the night of the Umm Kulthum concert?
(a) He is full of hot air.
(b) He is worthy of esteem.
(c) He is bombastic.
(d) He is knowledgeable in a small field.
10. What is Sarhan's main attraction to Zohra
(a) Physical appearance.
(b) Her generosity.
(c) Her ambition.
(d) Her kindness.
11. Who leaves before Umm Kulthum's concert is over?
12. What does Mansour offer Zohra when she brings him tea?
(a) A confection.
(b) A joke.
(d) A scowl.
13. What does Zohra explain to Mansour about the fight in the hall?
(a) Zohra was angry with Sarhan.
(b) Some man was angry at Hosny for sleeping with the man's sister.
(c) Some man was angry at Hosny for sleeping with the man's wife.
(d) Some woman had followed Sarhan into the building and started a fight with Sarhan.
14. What do Sarhan and Safeya do in Mahmoud's presence?
(a) Declare their intent to marry.
(b) Declare their intent to separate.
(c) Pretend to already be married.
(d) Have a terrible fight.
15. What does Zohra say about her and Sarhan?
(a) They were secretly married.
(b) They are engaged.
(c) They had a falling out.
(d) They are just friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ali Bakir's lover?
2. What does Sarhan say he and Zohra have in common?
3. Who is Zohra with when Sarhand sees her after visiting with his friend Rafat?
4. Who provides the alcohol for the people at the pension listening to the concert?
5. What angers Mansour about both himself and Sarhan?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)