|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened in Azhar in 1919?
(a) The British invade.
(b) There is a plague that decimates the town.
(c) The Nile floods the town.
(d) There is a terrible earthquake.
2. Who announces Sarhan's murder?
3. Who exploited Zohra?
(a) Her last boyfriend.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her former employer.
(d) Her grandfather and brother-in-law.
4. What does Sarhan insist about Zohra?
(a) That she is a good girl.
(b) That Zohra is interested in a man not living at the Miramar.
(c) That she and Sarhan are engaged.
(d) That Zohra dislikes Hosny.
5. About what is Hosny certain when he sees Zohra?
(a) That he would never fall in love with her.
(b) That she is having an affair with Sarhan.
(c) That he will marry her.
(d) That she will fall in love with him.
6. Who owns Wagdi's old residence?
(a) Mme. Coulette.
(b) Mme. Mariana.
(c) Mme. Flousey.
(d) Sir Bedouin.
7. How does Mariana dress Zohra?
(a) In a maid's outfit.
(b) In old work clothes of her husband.
(c) In fetching, modern clothes.
(d) In Mariana's clothes from when she was Zohra's age.
8. What amuses Hosny about a commotion the hall?
(a) That a woman is assaulting Sarhan.
(b) That Zohra is hiding behind Amer.
(c) That Mariana is hitting Sarhan with a broom.
(d) That Zohra has just slapped Tolba.
9. Who is Zohra?
(a) Amer's next-door-neighbor.
(b) Mariana's daughter.
(c) Mariana's granddaughter.
(d) A woman who is looking for a job.
10. Who does Hosny meet that he thinks would be worth marrying?
(a) Zohra's sister.
(b) Zohra's tutor.
(c) No one.
(d) Sarhan's sister.
11. Who does Sarhan decide he is going to marry?
(b) No one.
(d) The girl his parents have chosen.
12. What does Hosny order his Maltese madam to do?
(a) Gather girls for an orgy.
(b) Plan a party for some of his male friends.
(c) Stay with him overnight.
(d) Find him a wife.
13. Which boarder is an announcer for Alexandria Broadcasting Service?
14. About what does Hosny obsess?
(a) That he wants to move to the United States.
(b) That his brother makes more money than he.
(c) That his sister is not yet married.
(d) Being turned down for marriage.
15. Who has a monthly radio concert?
(a) Umm Kuthum.
(b) Hosny Allam.
(c) Sarhan al-Beheiry.
(d) Mansour Bahy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hosny do as he speeds through the city?
2. Of what does Hosny become convinced after talking with Mariana about Zohra?
3. What is Hosny doing when Amer checks on noise in the hall?
4. Why is Hosny slightly jealous of Zohra?
5. What do all of the three younger boarders declare?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)