|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A motion on which issue opens the discussion on June 20th?
(a) A motion to allow Congress to have two branches.
(b) A motion to choose between the New Jersey and Virginia Plans.
(c) A motion on how senators are chosen.
(d) A motion to remove "national" from the first Virginia Resolve.
2. In Chapter Six, the Convention delegates decide the members of the National Senate are to be chosen by which procedure?
(a) Election by popular vote.
(b) Election by current members of the Congress.
(c) Appointment by the Chief Executive.
(d) Appointment by state legislatures.
3. What does Madison consider "a clear principle of free government"?
(a) The ability of the people to elect at least one branch of the legislature.
(b) The announcement and publication of all government decisions.
(c) Voting rights for everyone, regardless of status.
(d) The ability of anyone to run for legislative office.
4. Who is elected the president of the Convention?
5. In Chapter Four, what issue does James Wilson see as the heart of the problem surrounding government?
(a) Does it represent all states equally?
(b) Is it modeled after the British form of government?
(c) Is it be decided at the Convention?
(d) Is it be over men or over states?
6. What is the significance of May 25th?
(a) That is the day the Convention officially opens.
(b) That is the day the delegates from Virginia arrive.
(c) That is the day George Washington arrives.
(d) That is the day the Virginia Resolves are presented.
7. Which delegate is born in Scotland and signs the Declaration of Independence?
(a) John Rutledge.
(b) James Wilson.
(c) John Dickinson.
(d) Pierce Butler.
8. Who is elected secretary of the Convention?
(a) James Madison of Virginia.
(b) Robert Morris of Pennsylvania.
(c) Alexander Hamilton of New York.
(d) Major Jackson of South Carolina.
9. What is Dr. Franklin's proposal for payment of the executive?
(a) The executive is not paid.
(b) The executive is paid a percentage of his job before election.
(c) The executive is paid a fixed fee determined by state legislatures.
(d) The executive is paid a fixed fee determined by Congress.
10. On July second, what question does the delegates vote on?
(a) Are additional states allowed into the Union?
(b) Do states have an equal vote in the Senate?
(c) Are states allowed to engage in trade with Europe?
(d) Do states elect their Senators through a popular vote?
11. Which delegate writes and publishes Letters from a Farmer in Pennsylvania to the Inhabitants of the British colonies?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) James Wilson.
(c) Pierce Butler.
(d) John Dickinson.
12. Which delegate is the oldest?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) George Washington.
(d) James Madison.
13. What does Bowen consider the most striking feature of the New Jersey Plan?
(a) Two branches of legislature.
(b) Creation of a single legislative chamber where states vote equally, regardless of size or wealth.
(c) There is a single executive.
(d) The executive is removed by impeachment.
14. What question is considered at the first Saturday meeting of the quorum?
(a) What type of government best suites America?
(b) What representation is used for Congress?
(c) What is the role of the executive in the new government?
(d) Who is president of the Convention?
15. Why is no argument made against Hamilton's speech?
(a) The delegates agree with the clarity of his thinking.
(b) It is so vague that the delegates do not understand what he intends.
(c) It is so extreme that no appropriate response or rebuttal is given.
(d) It appropriately addresses all of the concerns of the delegates.
Short Answer Questions
1. The delegates decide that congressmen are to be paid how?
2. What term do Americans use to describe the process of clearing the land of trees?
3. What does Madison consider to be the usefulness of the Senate?
4. Which "firebrands" of the American Revolution are absent from the Convention?
5. Which delegate is beloved by the French?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)